Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Angerer At Mlb!

OJl

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS03/109270321/Notebook-Angerer-likes-middle-action?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

It was obvious from watching the game that Angerer was in on a LOT of tackles the other night. But holy crap---20 tackles?!!

Angerer was having a subpar year at OLB. He was missing tackles and missing gaps entirely and getting a lot of tackles from behind in the first two games of the year. But as the MLB, Angerer was an absolute beast! He was scrapping and filling gaps with authority. I am a Gary Brackett fan and I cannot see Gary playing OLB. But let's just say I would not mind it if Gary missed a couple more games just to see how Angerer does as the MLB.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS03/109270321/Notebook-Angerer-likes-middle-action?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

It was obvious from watching the game that Angerer was in on a LOT of tackles the other night. But holy crap---20 tackles?!!

Angerer was having a subpar year at OLB. He was missing tackles and missing gaps entirely and getting a lot of tackles from behind in the first two games of the year. But as the MLB, Angerer was an absolute beast! He was scrapping and filling gaps with authority. I am a Gary Brackett fan and I cannot see Gary playing OLB. But let's just say I would not mind it if Gary missed a couple more games just to see how Angerer does as the MLB.

You didn't really watch the games did you? IN the Texans game it was Brackett who missed a lot of gaps. In the Browns game, Angerer was the MIKE.

What we are seeing is the wear and tear on Brackett. He is getting old. When you combine age, with being undersized for the position, his body can't keep up. He is one of the best minds on the defense but his body is betraying him now. Angerer is the real deal guys. He reads the offense well and has a tremendous reaction time. If we could only get some properly sized DB's we would be talking about a tremendous defense on this team.

Brackett may make a good coordinator of some kind in the future, but I wouldn't be terribly sad to see him put on the trading block and/or released. Gave us a lot of good years, and is excellent in pass coverage, but his body just isn't going to hold up for much longer.

Angerer is doing what the Hawkeyes fans expected he could.

I like Angerer and in my opinion it might be time for a changing of the guard, there is no way we should have resigned Gary for the money we did. He is good and has a great football mind but as was mentioned age is catching up.

It was Brackett's third contract. First one was for a year or two as an UDFA. Then, he signed a 4 yr. $8-9 mil., the year after he forced the Jerome Bettis fumble in the playoffs. We got most of his production that time. The latest contract, outside 2009 where he made plays in pass coverage, I think his injuries have caught up to him. Use him sparingly for passing situations and get the most out of whatever is remaining in him this year and let him go after this.

Where would a healthy Gary Brackett play if Angerer became the permanent starter at MLB? I'm not sure if he is fast enough for WLB, maybe SLB?

On obvious passing downs, move Angerer to the outside and Brackett at MLB??? Or put Brackett in coverage on the outside instead of Conner and keep Angerer at MLB???

One of the two, I would have to think.

I think the Colts are devoted to Brackett and won't let Angerer start @ MLB this year (when Gary is healthy). We will see soon when Gary gets healthy, however I wouldn't be surprised if they do let Gary go next year. He has gave us some good years, but is to injury prone. It seems like you can see a visible impact on the field with Angerer in there and he can only get better. People complain about his coverage but you have to realize he's young and can learn.

I agree with most of you here, Angerer has earned the starting spot at MLB. I know we still have Brackett under contract and he is getting paid more, but I would rather have him at outside linebacker. A strong MLB is the nucleus of a good defense and Brackett is not the man. He is smart and a great workhorse, but that is not enough.

Clearly Angerer's natural poistion is MLB. I also think he is going to be a very good LB for us for years to come and I think frankly him, Brackett, Conner, and Wheeler are the best group of linebackers we have had in a long time around here.

With that said, if a guy has 20 tackles that's a great acomplishment but like Polian even said on his radio show there is a little bit of plays happening around for that to happen. With that said, credit to Angerer for putting himself in the poistion to make the plays. He has a noise for the ball.

As amazing as Angerer tackling was his weakness was expossed some too. He is not very good in pass defense. I'll give him a pass on the Mike Wallace play because anyone who thinks any MLB can cover him is crazy and frankly I think that had more to do with Bethea getting caught cheating to the wrong side of the field. Still in a cover-2 system your MLB has to be able to drop back into pass coverage and protect the middle of the field. Angerer struggles with this which is why teams have been attacking us none stop with passes between the MLB and the safety since Brackett's been out. That's what Brackett does really well which is part of the reason why he fits so well in our system is that he is very good in pass defense.

I also think the group of Angerer, Brackett, and Conner are our three best linebackers which is why I think you'll seem them stick with that group of guys when Brackett is healthy. You might see them mix it up a little to get Wheeler in there. Like bringing Wheeler in when they want to blitz for example. I think Brackett is going to stay in the middle though and I wouldn't expect to see them swapping him out for Angerer for plays for a simple reason. Brackett has the helmet with the radio device in it and if he comes out to let Angerer slide to he middle for a player or two he has to come out you lose the radio device since Angerer can't wear one too.

Don't worry though we are going to see Angerer at MLB fulltime soon enough. Gary signed a five year deal last year but just about everyone who reported it said it was really a three year deal in which the Colts would either cut him or make him redo his deal after the third year. Frankly given the fact Gary would be getting older and the way Angerer is playing I would expect to see the Colts part ways with Brackett after next season and either keep Wheeler or draft another OLB (more likely option) and let Angerer slide to the MLB spot

I like the rotation idea keep both fresher longer

Like I said in my previous post the radio device in the helmet will prevent this. Only one player can wear it and I think that the Colts best group of three linebackers is Angerer, Brackett, and Conner so Angerer and Brackett both can't be in the game at the sametime with radio helmets. So if Gary came out to let Angerer go to the middle for a few plays we lose the radio. It also tells the other team what kinda defense you are playing. If Brackett is in there for passing downs a QB can check into a running play or if they see Angerer switch to the middle you change to a pass to the middle of the field to attack Angerer's weakness.

Move Bracket to the bench and use him to spell Angerer when necessary and in Nickel packages only. I'd rather Wheeler, Conner and Moten get as much experience as possible.

Also, Angerer does a fine job of short/middle zone coverage. It's deep zone coverage he struggles with. This is something most LBs aren't asked to do except in the tampa 2. The tampa 2 needs to go the way of old yeller and let Angerer play the area of the field that the MIKE is supposed to cover.

Just my $0.02 :)

Move Bracket to the bench and use him to spell Angerer when necessary and in Nickel packages only. I'd rather Wheeler, Conner and Moten get as much experience as possible.

Also, Angerer does a fine job of short/middle zone coverage. It's deep zone coverage he struggles with. This is something most LBs aren't asked to do except in the tampa 2. The tampa 2 needs to go the way of old yeller and let Angerer play the area of the field that the MIKE is supposed to cover.

Just my $0.02 :)

Wont happen the Colts like Brackett, he's the captain and he is our best linebacker in pass coverage which in a cover-2 is important.

Wont happen the Colts like Brackett, he's the captain and he is our best linebacker in pass coverage which in a cover-2 is important.

Sadly, I agree that you're likely right. However, the difference in his coverage ability really only shows, imo, when they do run the tampa 2. In a standard cover 2, I don't think the difference is enough to have him in except in nickel packages or on known passing downs. But as I've said, this is just my opinion. :)

Sadly, I agree that you're likely right. However, the difference in his coverage ability really only shows, imo, when they do run the tampa 2. In a standard cover 2, I don't think the difference is enough to have him in except in nickel packages or on known passing downs. But as I've said, this is just my opinion. :)

Your seeing teams attack the middle of the field a lot more on passing plays right now because Gary is out and it's working. The Texans tried that in week one and got one pass picked off, another one broken up and I know it took a Texans bounce but nearly saved a TD on another. That's what you lose with Angerer in there. Don't get me wrong I am all for playing Angerer, I just think you can get much of the same support we get from Angerer now from the OLB spot but I don't think you can get the same pass support from Brackett playing the OLB. Also I don't think Brackett has ever played OLB and I am not sure if the middle of the season is the time to find out if he can or not. We know Angerer can so I think you stick with those two plus Conner and come up with some plays for Wheeler here or there to spell Angerer and Conner.

Your seeing teams attack the middle of the field a lot more on passing plays right now because Gary is out and it's working. The Texans tried that in week one and got one pass picked off, another one broken up and I know it took a Texans bounce but nearly saved a TD on another. That's what you lose with Angerer in there. Don't get me wrong I am all for playing Angerer, I just think you can get much of the same support we get from Angerer now from the OLB spot but I don't think you can get the same pass support from Brackett playing the OLB. Also I don't think Brackett has ever played OLB and I am not sure if the middle of the season is the time to find out if he can or not. We know Angerer can so I think you stick with those two plus Conner and come up with some plays for Wheeler here or there to spell Angerer and Conner.

I wish I still had the Houston game recorded because I'm very curious as to whether Brackett's 2 passes defensed and the interception came in tampa 2 coverage or cover 2. If he comes back into the starting lineup at MLB then I'll make some comparisons to the situational stats. I'm very curious as to what I'll find. :)

Also, a lot of the times teams are able to attack the middle is over the short middle in the 3-7 yard area and they do this when Angerer drops back into deep coverage. Once he takes a couple of steps back, that short middle area opens wide up because there's no one there....same would happen if Brackett were on the field. If they're going to keep running the tampa 2 then they need to figure out some way to cover that short/middle area where the LB is supposed to be. Otherwise they're going to keep getting torched with those short-middle passes...especially as teams find it harder to run against the revitalized Colts run D.

I will take my chances with leaving the deep middle open and counting on our safeties to get there over giving up a ton of rushing yards. Besides if the run defense continues this way the safeties wont feel the need to cheat up to support the run.

The tampa 2 needs to change because our best players don't have the skills to play it. Why play a weaker lineup just to play an outdated system?

I will take my chances with leaving the deep middle open and counting on our safeties to get there over giving up a ton of rushing yards. Besides if the run defense continues this way the safeties wont feel the need to cheat up to support the run.

The tampa 2 needs to change because our best players don't have the skills to play it. Why play a weaker lineup just to play an outdated system?

You should watch the steelers game again, bethea was a force in the run support he was the one plugging holes, he was the 8th man in the box allowing our LB's to make the plays that they did.... soooo i dont think they will stop doing that.

You should watch the steelers game again, bethea was a force in the run support he was the one plugging holes, he was the 8th man in the box allowing our LB's to make the plays that they did.... soooo i dont think they will stop doing that.

When he was in the box yes but when he was supposed to be in coverage he was still cheating up.

There is a big difference between getting beat on a deep pass when you are in an 8 in the box set up as opposed to a cover 2 deep shell.

When he was in the box yes but when he was supposed to be in coverage he was still cheating up.

There is a big difference between getting beat on a deep pass when you are in an 8 in the box set up as opposed to a cover 2 deep shell.

I cannot say that i saw bethea cheating up when he wasnt suppose to, but that play he got beat-on that was just a great play by big ben keeping bethea from dropping back and that pass to wallace bethea wasnt cheating up, idk if thats the play you were talking about or not but thats the only one i can remember.

I cannot say that i saw bethea cheating up when he wasnt suppose to, but that play he got beat-on that was just a great play by big ben keeping bethea from dropping back and that pass to wallace bethea wasnt cheating up, idk if thats the play you were talking about or not but thats the only one i can remember.

Sorry maybe cheating up was the wrong way to say it.

His first thought was run support though and who can blame him really, he has had to be a huge help in run support even 15-20 yards away he has to worry about run support.

That play (the deep pass to Wallace) I feel that if he hasn't had stop the run so ingrained in his head his first step might have been back and he might have been able to make the play.

Sorry maybe cheating up was the wrong way to say it.

His first thought was run support though and who can blame him really, he has had to be a huge help in run support even 15-20 yards away he has to worry about run support.

That play (the deep pass to Wallace) I feel that if he hasn't had stop the run so ingrained in his head his first step might have been back and he might have been able to make the play.

Yea cant blame him for that one, the safeties look at the QB eyes and Ben held him for a bit looking the other way.

Agreed...there's a big difference in stacking 8 in the box to stop the run....teams do this all the time. :)

You got your wish!! Lets go ANGERER!!!!! :rawr:

Who was the last Colt to make 20 tackles in a non-overtime game

Something else that hasn't been mentioned...yeah Angerer leads the league in tackles, but Conner is at #14 in the league with 25 tackles. We have 2 LBs in the top 15 in the league...when was the last time THAT happened. lol

What we are seeing is the wear and tear on Brackett. He is getting old. When you combine age, with being undersized for the position, his body can't keep up. He is one of the best minds on the defense but his body is betraying him now. Angerer is the real deal guys. He reads the offense well and has a tremendous reaction time. If we could only get some properly sized DB's we would be talking about a tremendous defense on this team.

true we have tonys tiny shorty cbs , who cant bat the ball down but let the receiver catch the ball then make the tackle