Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Beautiful Aerial View Of Lucus Oil Stadium

ED29_1659yards

OK....

As someone who has never been to Indianapolis, I have questions....

First....   where do 65,000 people park?    I didn't see many parking lots and certainly not room for all the fans and employees of the stadium on game day...

Second....    what is the building across the street with the white bubble top looking roof?? 

I don't think it's Canseco Field House....  and it looks too small to be the old football field prior to LOS.

Thanks for any answers you can give....

OK....

First....   where do 65,000 people park?    I didn't see many parking lots and certainly not room for all the fans and employees of the stadium on game day...

Second....    what is the building across the street with the white bubble top looking roof?? 

I don't think it's Canseco Field House....  and it looks too small to be the old football field prior to LOS.

I've never been either, but that looks like the Hoosier Dome - since demolished - to me. I know that the new building is strikingly larger. 

I agree that there appears to be limited parking (although since this isn't southern CA, maybe their expectations are different than yours :)).  Perhaps additional parking space came with the demolition.

It's not uncommon to build new next to old. I found the following quite disconcerting at the time:

alg_citi-field.jpg

OK....

Yes, it is the old RCA Dome (Hoosier Dome) across the street (which makes this pretty old footage).  Parking is definitely limited and can be a challenge (especially trying to leave), but not impossible.  Outside of the relatively small lot you see in the video south of the stadium, there are a few downtown garages and basically a lot of private side lots used going as far as a mile out from the stadium.

Wow.....

That's the old stadium?     And they put 60,00 + in there?      Must've been....   cozy!

And perhaps with knocking that down,  there is parking where the old stadium once stood....     that'd be nice....

Perhaps there's lots of great public transportation to get fans to LOS??

Or perhaps people park far away and walk....      there's always that.....

Thanks very much....    appreciate the good 411....

Wow.....

That's the old stadium?     And they put 60,00 + in there?      Must've been....   cozy!

And perhaps with knocking that down,  there is parking where the old stadium once stood....     that'd be nice....

Perhaps there's lots of great public transportation to get fans to LOS??

Or perhaps people park far away and walk....      there's always that.....

Thanks very much....    appreciate the good 411....

No, it was more like 55,000 - it was the smallest stadium in the league at the time.  No extra parking - the Convention Center was expanded.  Public transportation is extremely limited and a relatively hot debate here lately.  Lots of walking!

There are lots of places to park. In addition to their parking lot(s) at the Luke, there are big (parking lots) surrounding the area where all the tailgaiting happens. Usually $20 to park. Then there are local business that will let you park for $10 and so on the farther away you get from the stadium. I'll usually just sneak into a hotel parking lot for the day and avoid the cost...it's an extra 10 minute walk, but I could use the exercise.

OK....

First Q: I don't know about everyone else, but I always park in the parking garage across from Victory Field (where the Indians baseball team plays). There are many parking lots around Indy. Remember, we did host a Super Bowl. :)

Second Q: I'm not sure what you're referring to. The footage shown is during the Super Bowl, so it couldn't be the RCA Dome you're talking about. Unless you're talking prior to the this footage then yes, it is probably the RCA Dome you're talking about.

I have a question about the picture lol.... is that snow on the ground?? and if so why would the roof be open?? I never been to a colts game at LOS, only in Jacksonville and Houston, but if im not mistaken, they dont open their roof up if its cold right?? or am i wrong?

no it's not snow. i assume the lighter color you see is the parking lot

EDIT: no, it's the concrete steps around the stadium

LOS looks like a big ol' factory. Maybe that's on purpose. One of the coolest looking stadiums in the league. Is the roof retracted? Or is it a glass ceiling?

It's retracted and they built it to look like a factory.  There's a old power plant across the street that has a similar look.