Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck does say 75% of the stuff (terminology/offense) is from the Stanford offense?

chad72

That's great news for you guys.  Arians was a hell of a leader last season but his offense held Luck back in a lot of ways.  The short game is the foundation of almost every modern, successful passing offense, WCO or no.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/4/18/4233288/andrew-luck-colts-new-offense-is-75-of-what-he-ran-at-stanford

I heard this repeated on NFL Network by an NFL Network reporter too.

Thoughts???

There is a bit of reactionary Brad Wells sprinting to that conclusion.  Go listen to the interview by Luck where that quote comes from and what you'll hear is that 75% of what they are running is familiar - including what they are keeping from last year's Colts offense.  I did not hear him say it is 75% Stanford, that is simply the conclusion that Wells wanted to be quick to jump to so he could write it.

There is a bit of reactionary Brad Wells sprinting to that conclusion. Go listen to the interview by Luck where that quote comes from and what you'll hear is that 75% of what they are running is familiar - including what they are keeping from last year's Colts offense. I did not hear him say it is 75% Stanford, that is simply the conclusion that Wells wanted to be quick to jump to so he could write it.

It's brad wells, what do you expect?

I do not think that the offense that the Colts will be running will be all that similar to the Stanford offense. It's been repated too many times by Luck, Pep, and others that we will incorporate the best of different offenses into the system.

The terminology may be similar to Stanford's but all that means is that they will use the terminology to address formations, routes, and protections.

It's all Watt's fault. If we didn't play him twice a year we wouldn't need those short passes. lol

Alright Wade, it's time to get creative. Use Watt as a LB in coverage haha He'll make Ty think twice about catching that screen pass. :goodluck:

A coordinator that is willing to add 25% of his play book from previous stuff we ran here is really doing whatever he feels is the best way to attack defenses with the personnel he has. Most coordinators wouldn't even add 5% of previous offenses with the ego some coordinators have. Pep is alright in my book. 25% is a ton of plays he added with the size of a NFL playbook

As pointed out by ztboiler, he never said such a thing. He said he is familiar with 75%, this includes Arians good stuff from last year that they say they will keep. And I think he was talking more about terminologies than actual plays.

Well if it's mostly terminology that's not a big deal because that's just what they call things.  The offense could be drastically different but still use the same terms to call things. 

With that said I fully expect the Colts to bring in at least some parts of the Stanford offense or they wouldn't have hired Pep.  I don't think it will be a Stanford clone.  I think it will be a mix of what we did last year with the Stanford offense.  What exactly it's going to look like we are going to have to wait for the season to start.

The most important part is that I think we have guys in Luck, Castonzo, Ballard, Hilton, Wayne, and Allen who are probably going to do well no matter what kind of offense you put them in.