Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Helmet rule passes.

Dustin

Not going to be a big deal. Very few rbs run the crown of their head into dbs. They're also only calling it if it's obvious.

I think you need to re-watch most games. Almost EVERY RB lowers their head right before the point of contact. They were talking about it on NFL network and they said that it is like an involuntary reflex for RB's to do it because that is the way they have been taught since they were kids. This has the potential to be really ridiculous. Way to much objectivity in the hands of the refs.

I think you need to re-watch most games. Almost EVERY RB lowers their head right before the point of contact. They were talking about it on NFL network and they said that it is like an involuntary reflex for RB's to do it because that is the way they have been taught since they were kids. This has the potential to be really ridiculous. Way to much objectivity in the hands of the refs.

You can lower your head, you just cant use it as a weapon. The only rb I can think of who had hits like that last year were richardson,p peterson doesnt do it, charles doesnt, foster doesnt, the best rbs dont do this.

You can lower your head, you just cant use it as a weapon. The only rb I can think of who had hits like that last year were richardson,p peterson doesnt do it, charles doesnt, foster doesnt, the best rbs dont do this.

The problem is though, that there leaving the decision up to the refs for the most part. Most refs are going to interpret the rule differently and therefore are going to call penalties on some RB's that other refs won't. It will affect outcomes of games and goal line runs are going to become a thing of the past because every single RB in football lowers their head to drive into and through the d-line. This is a really bad rule and a really bad decision from those who passed it.

The problem is though, that there leaving the decision up to the refs for the most part. Most refs are going to interpret the rule differently and therefore are going to call penalties on some RB's that other refs won't. It will affect outcomes of games and goal line runs are going to become a thing of the past because every single RB in football lowers their head to drive into and through the d-line. This is a really bad rule and a really bad decision from those who passed it.

This rule only pertains to while the runner is outside of the tackle box. 3 yards North and South.

It wont affect goal line situations because it is legal in that case. I agree the main issue is with how refs will call it, but if they stick to only calling obvious cases, and the obvious ones are easily identifiable even in real time, then it shouldnt be a major issue. I understand why people are hestitant to believe refs will get it right, but I guess I'm inclined to at least wait to see a couple horrible miscalls before I blast them. But like I said, I do get why some people arent as inclined to do so.

The NFL is headed towards imploding. FIX THE darn HELMETS, don't change the game.

There needs to be a new commissioner.

When this rule prevents MJD from picking up a first down on us, you'll be cheering it.

Then when it costs us a first down, you'll be cussing it.

haha

LOL I was listening to an Eli Manning interview when they broke out that rule to him.  He stated along the lines that will significantly change the way he runs from now on.  Oh wow!  That made me put on my-

Lollerskates-1.gif

He went on, saying once he got 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage he was going to keep his head real low to the ground, as low and far away from the defenders as possible.  ROFL!

Classic!

I would bet a lot of money there will be a controversial call at some point this upcoming season that decides the game because of this rule.

I watched the highlights they showed where the rule would have been enforced last season and only 1 I thought was unnecessary and should have been a penalty.

I would bet a lot of money there will be a controversial call at some point this upcoming season that decides the game because of this rule.

I watched the highlights they showed where the rule would have been enforced last season and only 1 I thought was unnecessary and should have been a penalty.

Controversial calls that alter games is nothing new. How the refs call pass interference is much more worrisome to me.

Controversial calls that alter games is nothing new. How the refs call pass interference is much more worrisome to me.

the PI calls have really been bothering me the last few years too.

i realize there are many ways a game can be altered by a call but this just adds one more to the list.

They should have made this the rule when they changed it that defenders could no longer lead with their helmets. It never made sense to me that RBs were allowed to go in head first but defenders were not.

The defenders could go head first....ask Steven Ridley. They just couldnt at a defenseless player

The defenders could go head first....ask Steven Ridley. They just couldnt at a defenseless player

Plus, that play was in the tackle box, right up the gut.  That type of action will still fly for both defender and runner.

Ripley's (or is it Ridley's?) believe it or not.   ;)

I'm pretty sure it's you can't hit a defenseless receiver in the head with any part of your body. If a player uses any part of his helmet to hit an opponent violently or unnecessarily its unnecessary roughness.

Stevan Ridley was the one who lowered his helmet when he got knocked out, I think that's the kind of play the rule is aiming to change.