Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Era vs Manning Era

Dark Superman

That team was picked by many to win between two and four games. They won several games they should not even have been in. I think they will come down to earth this year......

just because the media says something... doesn't mean it's true. But, if you do care for what the pundits say, most of them are now on the colts bandwagon.....

and in every game in the NFL, every team has a shot, no matter what anyone says.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where to begin with all of this slop.  

WOW.....     Have you ever been tagged by a 250 lb LB?  AL was hit more than ANY QB in the NFL last season.  

Luck played Bruce Arians into a HC job.....    thank GOD.    Arians QB's get killed playing for this guy.

All I got to say dude is watch Luck under Pip.     No more unrealistic go routes, or 7 step drops where the QB gets to 4 and is running for his life.       Oh....  they didn't do much of that because .....   THEY COULDN'T.    

His comp % next year will be at 66% at least.   And he will NOT be hit NEARLY as much.   

Luck was SPECTACULAR last season.      He was the INDY O. 

Did the offensive line make him throw all of those interceptions? I'll grant you that they were the cause of most of his fumbles. Did that offensive line make him throw the ball short on long passes and behind receivers in crossing patterns? Did that offensive line cause him to be such a poor reader of the opponents defense? That is where he will never catch up with Manning who might be the best ever at doing that. I don't see the same kind of work ethic that Peyton always showed. But that is just me and I hope for the best and some development but right now, I think he is way behind RGIII and Wilson who I think will both be big time stars.... Especially Wilson!!

Im going to say the Andrew Luck Era will be more successful than the Peyton Manning era and here's why!

Luck arguably had the better rookie year with a lot less to work with. Peyton had a veteran offensie line and Pro Bowl Wideout Marvin Harrison and we only ended up with three victories. Luck led the Colts to the playoffs with practically no line and a team full of rookies and new faces, Luck is that good and he's only a rookie.

Key: Get more talent around this kid quickly. Protection is key. Thank god he's mobie unlike Manning was. He needs another receiver to go along with that arsenal. Luck is going to be great, we just need to give him more help around the ball.

Defense: if the Manning era had a defense, Manning may have had 2 more rings. Personally I like what we are doing more in this era with Chuck Pagano's 3-4. I love the aggressive play style and hard hitting defenses.. The Cover 2 was far to soft and I'm more into having big run stoppers clogging holes and not small speed guys.. We should surely have a top 5-10 defense in a few years. I believe in Pagano and with a balanced team on offense and defense we should surely be a force to be reckoned with. Keep Luck on the fied and the opposing teams offense off it it.

Overall in time I can see the Colts having a very balanced team. Lead by an Elite quarterback we are only setting ourselves up for greatness. I love what Grigson and Pagano are doing compared to the Dungy-Polian era. Prepare for a smash mouth defense and a offense which will be led by Luck that's surely going to score points and win games.

I'm ready to build this monster.. I'm going out on a limb but I'm going to say Luck will win us 3 rings!

I sure hope so!

I really detest comparisons like this. Why? #1: It completely disrespects Peyton Manning the man who literally built LOS, brought a Championship to INDY, & replaced basketball as the dominant draw in the Hoosier State from a fan/ticket sales perspective, #2: Claiming that Luck is going to win 3 SB rings is completely foolish thinking considering that we haven't won our division in consecutive years, #3: With different eras, rules change, penalties change, & defensive schemes adapt accordingly, #4: Every QB is different & you can't just apply uniform arbitrary contrasts among predecessors & current field generals. It is an exercise in futility with little to no basis in fact.  

That team was picked by many to win between two and four games. They won several games they should not even have been in. I think they will come down to earth this year......

Nobody really cares what you think. You showed your knowledge of the game when you stated RG3 coud read a defense better than Luck. He is so far behind Luck that even Shanahan would laugh at that one.

Nobody really cares what you think. You showed your knowledge of the game when you stated RG3 coud read a defense better than Luck. He is so far behind Luck that even Shanahan would laugh at that one.

He also thinks we ran a WCO last year. 

Yes, we are in the Luck era & naturally it is time to move forward. I realize that, but I also know that you must never forget your past either or #18's vital contributions to the INDY franchise. It bothers me when people appear to gloss over that. Peyton Manning played a vital role in establishing a Championship mindset in INDY that Andrew Luck must live up to...Not any easy task. 

Luck will likely never play in 11 playoff game but is is 0-1 rihgt now. If he Luck has a long career he may set a record for interceptions and pick sixes unless he improves that area of his game greatly. He still underthrows receivers. Luck could lose a playoff game to someone even less highly regarded that Billy Volek. Luck has proven nothing yet except that he led the NFL in turnovers and has a horrible completion percentage and was rated as the worst or next worst starting QB by QB rating..... We have a long way to go with Luck and it will be a long haul in my opinion. That isn't Peyton Manning or even a shadow Manning back there now.....

I am just not sold on Luck. Yes, there are all of those excuses you made. We will see how he does this year with an improved line. I hope for the best but I expect a sophomore crash down to something like 8-8 which would still be very good if everything is moving forward. Last year was a miracle that won't be repeated....

Did the offensive line make him throw all of those interceptions? I'll grant you that they were the cause of most of his fumbles. Did that offensive line make him throw the ball short on long passes and behind receivers in crossing patterns? Did that offensive line cause him to be such a poor reader of the opponents defense? That is where he will never catch up with Manning who might be the best ever at doing that. I don't see the same kind of work ethic that Peyton always showed. But that is just me and I hope for the best and some development but right now, I think he is way behind RGIII and Wilson who I think will both be big time stars.... Especially Wilson!!

OH-MY-GOD.gif

Wow I didn't know he was so handy doing brick work......

;)

:lol: Okay, I will admit that the phrase "Peyton Manning the man who literally built LOS" was poetic license on my part. You got me House.

Masonry work is a lost art these days you know my friend.  haha

A strong foundation has to literally be built outside of LOS before it can take place in the locker room right? "The Big Bad Wolf can huff and puff all he wants", but #18 is a true Renaissance Man & a jack of all trades House.  :funny:

:lol: Okay, I will admit that the phrase "Peyton Manning the man who literally built LOS" was poetic license on my part. You got me House.

Masonry work is a lost art these days you know my friend.  haha

A strong foundation has to literally be built outside of LOS before it can take place in the locker room right? "The Big Bad Wolf can huff and puff all he wants", but #18 is a true Renaissance Man & a jack of all trades House.  :funny:

So what needs to be "literally built outside of LOS"  - another building of some sort?

And Peyton is now a composer, writer, painter .....   ??

In all fairness to Luck, Andrew is wise beyond his years & he does posses a competitive internal fire to win Playoff games & ultimately a Championship. But, for anyone to claim  "I'm going to say Luck will win us 3 rings!" is beyond far fetched & ridiculous after only his rookie NFL campaign. Look, I admire the enthusiasm SupermanLuck12, but let's not get carried away here with overzealous overconfidence okay. Start small...Win the AFC South & get a 1st round bye.

Yes, to be fair SupermanLuck12, you did say "I'm going out on a limb," but claiming that the Colts are going to win 3 rings under Luck's leadership is like stating that you are going to marry a woman you just saw across a crowded room that you haven't even spoken to yet.  Again, I like the bravado sir, but that's all it is right now bravado. 1 step at a time SupermanLuck12; 1 step at a time. Right now, what concerns me is a new OC in Luck's 2nd year. Luck had a great rapport with Bruce Arians; there might be a decline before we see a leap forward. 

So what needs to be "literally built outside of LOS"  - another building of some sort?

And Peyton is now a composer, writer, painter .....   ??

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't communicate my joke effectively willysp. My fault not yours willysp. I was attempting to make a brick house joke in the vein of the "3 Little Pigs." The line "literally be built outside of LOS" was meant to tie the masonry angle a sturdy building with a strong locker room. The line "#18 is a true Renaissance Man & a jack of all trades" was meant to evoke the belief that Peyton Manning is a very versatile individual: father figure, line of scrimmage zen master, & HOF QB/team motivator. My apologies for any ambiguity I inadvertently created with my previous post.

To be honest, I could be way off in my new OC adjustment period & Andrew Luck might not miss a beat too. That's entirely possible as well. 1 thing about SW1: When I royally miss not just the boat, but the entire harbor in a fear or prediction of mine, I own it, I admit it, & I don't run from it. If I screw up, I say it. Why? That builds credibility & forces me to question my beliefs & hopefully learn from my mistakes. I'm not perfect; I'm just darn near flawless. Just Kidding! That's my dark sarcasm seeping out.  :yahoo:

Just protect Luck & get him some solid & clutch secondary play. That's all I really want to see improvement wise for us this year. 

Peyton-Manning-Can-Make-You-A-Pizza.jpg

It's just a joke guys, just a joke...... :hide:

Jules, the best jokes always have a grain of truth to them & everybody knows it. Hey, sometimes the truth hurts. This year with Peyton it's all about the post season for me. I could less about the regular season, your years in this league, your 4 time MVPs...If you can't win in Dec. with Wes Welker something is seriously wrong Manning. No more blind favortism this year #18. Get it Done No More Excuses!  

Jules, the best jokes always have a grain of truth to them & everybody knows it. Hey, sometimes the truth hurts. This year with Peyton it's all about the post season for me. I could less about the regular season, your years in this league, your 4 time MVPs...If you can't win in Dec. with Wes Welker something is seriously wrong Manning. No more blind favortism this year #18. Get it Done No More Excuses!  

Seems and sounds like an awful lot of pressure. But, that makes it even more interesting later as we see it all unfold....

No doubt right now, Denver is a heavy AFC favorite.

Seems and sounds like an awful lot of pressure. But, that makes it even more interesting later as we see it all unfold....

No doubt right now, Denver is a heavy AFC favorite.

Could you imagine the titanic disaster if Kansas City makes the Playoffs this season under Andy Reid & Alex Smith & John Fox & Peyton Manning miss the post season & fold like a flimsy lawn chair? The AFC West has undergone crucial regime changes in San Diego & at Arrowhead Stadium. That division is tougher now & if the Broncos lose in the post season again heads will roll...

What's that old NFL saying: "Nobody ever wins a Championship on paper?" The thing about expectations is if you string together a few wins....The pressure builds to continue that trend & you can't really enjoy it & if you lose straight out of the gate fans turn real ugly real quick. It's a no win proposition either way. 

The beauty of no expectations for the Chiefs is that you are playing with House money & sometimes the slot machines & black jack table hits baby. KA CHING!!! Do I expect this to happen? No, but I never expected the Seattle SeaHawks to be potential SB contenders out of the NFC West either...So what the Hades...All traditional NFL bets are off...

Could you imagine the titanic disaster if Kansas City makes the Playoffs this season under Andy Reid & Alex Smith & John Fox & Peyton Manning miss the post season & fold like a flimsy lawn chair? The AFC West has undergone crucial regime changes in San Diego & at Arrowhead Stadium. That division is tougher now & if the Broncos lose in the post season again heads will roll...

Call me crazy but if someone is going to challenge the Broncos in the West I would almost rather it be SD over KC. KC is the sexy underdog pick right now and SD is becoming nonexistent again when normally being the sexy offseason pick. Not sure why I would almost prefer SD since I hate the Chargers but sometimes I just say to myself "Rivers is not that bad. He deserves better." It's odd. I want to punch him in the face sometimes but I cannot believe the implosion of that team at times in recent years. Maybe without Norv they wake up a bit but Rivers in some games has been an epic letdown too. But, I still believe he is a good QB too but I don't know what the heck has happened, Sigh.

SD is an enigma team.

Call me crazy but if someone is going to challenge the Broncos in the West I would almost rather it be SD over KC. KC is the sexy underdog pick right now and SD is becoming nonexistent again when normally being the sexy offseason pick. Not sure why I would almost prefer SD since I hate the Chargers but sometimes I just say to myself "Rivers is not that bad. He deserves better." It's odd. I want to punch him in the face sometimes but I cannot believe the implosion of that team at times in recent years. Maybe without Norv they wake up a bit but Rivers in some games has been an epic letdown too. But, I still believe he is a good QB too but I don't know what the heck has happened, Sigh.

SD is an enigma team.

Bingo Jules! Phillip Rivers is his own worst enemy & I never know who is gonna show up: The arrogant, trash talker or the the elite QB who can sling the pigskin accurately on a dime like HOF QB Dan Marino Maybe a punch in the face would do Rivers some good. Knock the jitters out. Besides, I'll bet you have a mean right hook Jules. ;)  

Alex Smith is a good game manager who can move the ball & the Chiefs ground game is solid. KC scares more than the Chargers do actually. It's not always superior talent that wins Playoff games Jules, but sheer meanness, intimidation, & brutality. 

Actually, firing A.J. Smith will probably help the Chargers tremendously. He was such a mo ron. WR Vincent Jackson will still be in San Diego if Smith had paid this gifted offensive weapon & kept him from going to Tampa Bay.  If Jackson was still with Rivers, that team would be clicking & Norv Turner, an OC at best would still be HC in CA IMO. 

In fairness to Philip Rivers, he is an elite QB who has been brilliant at times. But, he's the AFC version of Tony Romo. All this praise gets heaped on Rivers & frankly he can't deliver a Championship for SD. Eli Manning has 2. Drew Brees, the former Charger QB, has 1. Rivers has a BIG FAT ZERO in the  :lombardi:  category.

At some point, put up or shut up permanently Rivers. Your window of opportunity is fading fast Philip...

In fairness to Philip Rivers, he is an elite QB who has been brilliant at times. But, he's the AFC version of Tony Romo. All this praise gets heaped on Rivers & frankly he can't deliver a Championship for SD. Eli Manning has 2. Drew Brees, the former Charger QB, has 1. Rivers has a BIG FAT ZERO in the  :lombardi:  category.

At some point, put up or shut up permanently Rivers. Your window of opportunity is fading fast Philip...

Oh yeah, I forgot to add 2 time Lombardi Championship Steelers QB  Ben Roethlisberger from that 2004 draft class too Mr. Philip Rivers...There's still time, but not much Philip...

I'd get off the AFC Version of Tony Romo joke bandwagon, if you could at least get to the SB Philip. At this stage in your career, reaching the AFC Championship Game isn't good enough. You must play in a SB for me to take the Cowboys shortcomings dark, negative stigma off of you. And remember: You might not make it back to another SB. So, you had better win the darn game.

Don't tell me you can win a SB Philip; SHOW ME...

P.S. I believe you are more than capable of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy personally, but my patience is wearing incredibly thin at this point...

2 time Lombardi Championship Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

I know I always say this, but it's true. I like HC Bill Cowher, but in the 2005 SB in Detroit, the NFL zebras pretty much gave the SB to Jerome Bettis & Big Ben like a Christmas present. The Seahawks & Mike Holmgren won that game. I just hate to see the SB decided by a series of poor referee calls..Sigh...In reality, Big Ben only earned 1 SB victory. Yes, he has 2 rings, but he really only earned 1 of them.

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realize Kravitz retracted it. Not sure if you read the other posts on this thread but i was being accused of making up the noodle arm reference so it really does not matter whether Irsay said it or not. Your own reporter said Manning had a noodle arm which was his impression after watching him throw. He may later have felt badly about his word choice but that is how he saw it. And again if you read the posts further back, I had made the noodle arm reference calling it a blatant lie which it was. While Manning has certainly lost some velocity, the way Colts mgmt and Kravitz painted it was completely false. All of this was based on a discussion about the Colts as an org and I was just pointing out that while the Colts have been one of the stellar run orgs it has its blemishes too like everyone else. The Manning release debacle is a good example of that.

It does matter when you attribute a quote to the wrong person

We were all here when all of that was going on.  We know who said what

At the time, mannings arm was an unknown.  That is what was going on

Management did not paint it as anything

When you are called out for posting false information, courtesy is to apologize for your error.  

Back to the topic...........which is speculating on this era vs previous for the colts 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I'm not sure what your opinion is based off of? 

A team that wins games in which "nobody" thought they would win .....well that's a sign of a good team, ain't it? 

A team that wins games in which "nobody" thought they would win .....well that's a sign of a good team, ain't it? 

I think it is an overstatement when he said 'nobody' thought they would win.........especially as the season went on.

They did win more than many speculated they would at the beginning of the season.  They made believers out of us.....most of us anyway.

And I do think that is a sign of a good team..........finding a way to win is what good teams do

It does matter when you attribute a quote to the wrong person

We were all here when all of that was going on.  We know who said what

At the time, mannings arm was an unknown.  That is what was going on

Management did not paint it as anything

When you are called out for posting false information, courtesy is to apologize for your error.  

Back to the topic...........which is speculating on this era vs previous for the colts 

I would have apologized if I actually said Irsay said it which I didn't. I said Kravitz had said it and that he may have gotten his impression of Manning's arm from Irsay/colts mgmg which cannot be proven or disapproven. And I did thank SheColt for posting the link about Kravitz retraction which I was not aware of so I am not sure what your issue is. I realize the Manning release is a sore subject but please don't act like Colts fans were the only ones following it. I mean the guy/gal I was discussing it with it on this very thread who is a Colts fans was not aware of the noodle arm comment at all.

I would have apologized if I actually said Irsay said it which I didn't. I said Kravitz had said it and that he may have gotten his impression of Manning's arm from Irsay/colts mgmg which cannot be proven or disapproven. And I did thank SheColt for posting the link about Kravitz retraction which I was not aware of so I am not sure what your issue is. I realize the Manning release is a sore subject but please don't act like Colts fans were the only ones following it. I mean the guy/gal I was discussing it with it on this very thread who is a Colts fans was not aware of the noodle arm comment at all.

What I meant is that this:  http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/16688-luck-era-vs-manning-era/?p=449025

is not true

Who am I to disagree. We have a few of our own in the Boston media. But the point is Kravitz was reporting that Irsay was saying Manning had the noodle arm. I didn't make it up. Your own reporter said it about your owner. Again, very sad the way Manning was treated in the end. He deserved much better.

Nothing like pulling a quote out of context. Geesh. If you look back at the thread, you will see that I am implying that Kravitz got his info/impression from Irsay. Again, never said that Irsay said it publicly but do not think it is unreasonable to believe that Colts mgmt was painting a picture for Irsay given Manning's doctor had just come out prior saying Manning was cleared to play football again. Obviously, given that Kravitz retracted the "noodle" statment, he came up with it on his own. I AM SORRY.

We cool now?

I know I always say this, but it's true. I like HC Bill Cowher, but in the 2005 SB in Detroit, the NFL zebras pretty much gave the SB to Jerome Bettis & Big Ben like a Christmas present. The Seahawks & Mike Holmgren won that game. I just hate to see the SB decided by a series of poor referee calls..Sigh...In reality, Big Ben only earned 1 SB victory. Yes, he has 2 rings, but he really only earned 1 of them.

Colts fans sure are good at making excuses ... :-)

Nothing like pulling a quote out of context. Geesh. If you look back at the thread, you will see that I am implying that Kravitz got his info/impression from Irsay. Again, never said that Irsay said it publicly but do not think it is unreasonable to believe that Colts mgmt was painting a picture for Irsay given Manning's doctor had just come out prior saying Manning was cleared to play football again. Obviously, given that Kravitz retracted the "noodle" statment, he came up with it on his own. I AM SORRY.

We cool now?

This implication was misinformation.  There is NO ONE who thought that was true so stating it is very bad form for a poster here

And this is not an apology it is further effort to justify posting false information

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/16688-luck-era-vs-manning-era/?p=449600

In terms of the Kravitz article and the overall story regarding Manning's arm, Kravitz said it was a noodle and he attributed his comment to the "people" that were watching Manning throw when he ws rehabbing. While the quote was never directly attributed to Irsay, it is believed to have orginated with him because just prior to the comment, Manning's doctors had come out and said Manning was medically cleared to play. So in response, Colts mgmt basically said he is structurally sound to play meaning he can take a hit but his arm is nowhere near NFL level hence the noodle arm comment. Now, Kravitz could have come up with the actual word "noodle" himself but that is the impression he got from the Colts people who were observing Manning throw.

If you have further questions on posting etiquette please message me.  For now this topic is back to a comparison of manning and luck era speculation