Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I've Got Cap Numbers

Andy

Numbers were just released.

The Colts have spent $31,535,333 in cap dollars.

Now they started with about 44M, so the Colts have about 12.5M left in cap space. 

They've been busy, and they've filled a lot of needs, so this was all worth it. 

Andy......

You maybe right about starting with $44 Million,   but I wouldn't bet on that.

A week ago, NFL.com was reporting that our available cap money was $37 Mill.

I think that reflected the franchise tag for McAfee and some tendered contracts to 3-4 other players as well.

So,  I'm not sure if you're starting point for the Colts is correct.

But, if we started at $37 rather than $44,  then the view of things changes pretty quickly!

Just some food for thought.....

Now they started with about 44M, so the Colts have about 12.5M left in cap space. 

Do you have a link?

Hmmm... I wonder would Zbikowski have been released to free up cap room for one more FA signing? Seems strange to let him go before camp otherwise...

Just thinking aloud, probably not the case.

It's possible, but it won't be another safety (some on here still think we'll get Reed for whatever reason).

Also Andy, what source? Not saying I don't trust you, but I just want to take a look.

Andy......

I think that reflected the franchise tag for McAfee and some tendered contracts to 3-4 other players as well.

But, if we started at $37 rather than $44,  then the view of things changes pretty quickly!

The source (ESPN) says just over 13M left in cap space, so that means they started with 44ish.

Nice. I know we have draft picks to go yet but we're in good shape.

I'm wondering if Grigs keeps below the 90% in order to have more room for Luck when his time comes?

Andy......

I'm pretty sure we started the offseason with a little over 46 million. The 31,535,333 is the total spendings since the beginning of the offseason. So that should leave us with around 13-14 mil..

I'm pretty sure we started the offseason with a little over 46 million. The 31,535,333 is the total spendings since the beginning of the offseason. So that should leave us with around 13-14 mil..

They say just over 13M so that means they started with around 44.75M.

Nice. I know we have draft picks to go yet but we're in good shape.

I'm wondering if Grigs keeps below the 90% in order to have more room for Luck when his time comes?

I have added to your posts on this same thing and i hope your right.We will have so many new rookies due contracts in the same year that we need to save for that day :)

I sure hope you and Andy are right.....   but I find hard to believe that the NFL Network,  which had the Colts in the mid-40's for most of this off-season, suddenly has it wrong now that they say we started with $37 Mill.

Either way, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough....

They say just over 13M so that means they started with around 44.75M.

I know, but I remember an Indystar article that contradicted that number and said we had 46 point something or another(don't remember exact number), Indystar said that came straight from the Colts. Who knows though, 13-14 not that much difference either way.

Hmmm... I wonder would Zbikowski have been released to free up cap room for one more FA signing? Seems strange to let him go before camp otherwise...

Just thinking aloud, probably not the case.

I assume he prefers to be a starter and didn't want to be on the bench after being a starter last season.

So we're really got about 7-8 million left after we sign our rookies.

My guess is we're done making notable moves. We'll sign some more depth players with that, and hold the rest for some insurance in the case of mid-season injuries.

I sure hope you and Andy are right.....   but I find hard to believe that the NFL Network,  which had the Colts in the mid-40's for most of this off-season, suddenly has it wrong now that they say we started with $37 Mill.

Either way, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough....

That 37.5 mil they reported was including McAfee's franchise number, Moala's new contract, and all the tenders. Took it down to 37.5. The 31.535.333 they're reporting now includes all the new contracts. In other words, Moala's McAfee's all tenders and all new contracts equal the 31,535,333. I hope I'm making this clear, because I'm confusing myself. :D

That 37.5 mil they reported was including McAfee's franchise number, Moala's new contract, and all the tenders. Took it down to 37.5. The 31.535.333 they're reporting now includes all the new contracts. In other words, Moala's McAfee's all tenders and all new contracts equal the 31,535,333. I hope I'm making this clear, because I'm confusing myself. :D

The 34.5M (Kuharsky forgot to add McAfee to the 31M number) includes McAfee, Moala, Butler and all the other FA signings. 

Kuharsky just tweeted:

Paul Kuharsky ‏@espn_afcsouth

Revised #Colts post shortly. @mzf5c5 pointed out I forgot McAfee tender. So they've spent $34,330,333 cap dollars. Sorry @PatMcAfeeShow

This means that the Colts have about 10M left. The original figures are based on Paul's numbers and the ESPN numbers.

You guys can thank me for catching this! :) Poor Pat, everyone keeps forgetting we tagged him! But I do think a deal needs to get done with him soon!

I know, but I remember an Indystar article that contradicted that number and said we had 46 point something or another(don't remember exact number), Indystar said that came straight from the Colts. Who knows though, 13-14 not that much difference either way.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/12/nfl-free-ancy-201ge3-starting-cap-space-for-all-32-nfl-teams/#slide_30      little over 45 million at 1 time was reported

I think a lot of people either forget, or haven't read that the cap is supposed to go up significantly before then...once the TV revenue is there, the cap will be high enough that we will be fine to re-sign Luck and our other guys.

Roll it forward and save for 2 years down the road to sign Luck and others otherwise we are going to have cap caualties in 2015 2016

I think a lot of people either forget, or haven't read that the cap is supposed to go up significantly before then...once the TV revenue is there, the cap will be high enough that we will be fine to re-sign Luck and our other guys.

Yeah, I read somewhere a while back that the projected 2015 cap was supposed to be in the neighborhood of 150 mil., about 27 mil. more than this season.

Zbikowski would be bummed if we brought in Bernard Pollard to take his place, and he will go "NOT AGAIN" (reference to Ravens roster where he lost his safety spot to Pollard in 2011)!!! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they added Antwan Barnes too to the list of OLBs, his pass rushing productivity was very high according to PFF. To me, whenever I saw him play the Broncos, his hustle and talent passed the eye test too in terms of pass rush.

This means that the Colts have about 10M left. The original figures are based on Paul's numbers and the ESPN numbers.

You know, you could've simply provided the links to the information in your original post and avoided all of the questions/rigmarole. I appreciate you probably wanted to come off sage'acious but really, folks have to ask for it? Just give folks the info.

Yeah, I read somewhere a while back that the projected 2015 cap was supposed to be in the neighborhood of 150 mil., about 27 mil. more than this season.

only problem with higher cap is that players will demand more money and it will = out to todays value.

Zbikowski would be bummed if we brought in Bernard Pollard to take his place, and he will go "NOT AGAIN" (reference to Ravens roster where he lost his safety spot to Pollard in 2011)!!! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they added Antwan Barnes too to the list of OLBs, his pass rushing productivity was very high according to PFF. To me, whenever I saw him play the Broncos, his hustle and talent passed the eye test too in terms of pass rush.

Why would we bring in another SS?

Why would we bring in another SS?

Because of our history of DB injuries and if we wanted to play nickel with 3 safeties. Unless you believe Lefeged can perform at the same level as a Bethea or Landry while filling in for an injury. Besides, DBs and LBs play more on STs than DLs, and thus suffer more injuries too.

Besides, a big part of our DB injuries could be our run heavy division too, IMO and if we need to go against a Gronk or multiple TE set, a safety would come in handy instead of a slot/nickel CB who would be manhandled by Gronk's/big TE's run blocking should they choose to run with heavy TEs.

Because of our history of DB injuries and if we wanted to play nickel with 3 safeties. Unless you believe Lefeged can perform at the same level as a Bethea or Landry while filling in for an injury. Besides, DBs and LBs play more on STs than DLs.

Besides, a big part of our DB injuries could be our run heavy division too, IMO. 

I think Pollard will command a little too much money for us to bring him in as a backup. I think Lefeged done fine last yr. when he was forced to play. We only have a little over 10 mil left on our cap space so Pollard won't happen.