Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Larry Warford

According to nfl.com, he is rated as 88.3 (1st round pick) but many mock drafts (and some of you for that matter) think he isn't a 1st rounder. If we can trade down, I would very much like to go for him.

But my question is: if for some reason,we can't trade down-should we take him in the 1st or take someone else in the 1st and hope he is there later on?

I don't know... I like Larry Warford but I don't think taking him at 24 is good value, because right now it appears as if we could get him a lot later. I think a better value pick might be Justin Pugh - doubtful he stays at OT in the NFL, many see him moving inside - myself included. 

I think Warford has gotten a bit overblown.  He's a mid- to late-2nd round value, who will be an average NFL starter.  We need an average NFL starter...so I wouldn't be adverse to having him on the team.  But it seems wrong to take him at 24.  Problem is: I have no idea who is worth that spot for us.  We seem to have left a lot of OL improvement to the draft, so I'd love to take an interior lineman at #24, but Warford or Barrett Jones (the two best that will be available to us) will be reaches at #24.  I think I'd pencil in someone like OL Brian Winter of Kent State in the 3rd, and take a luxury WR or CB in the 1st.  They will be better values.  Of course, trading down into the 2nd and taking Barrett Jones would be my first choice...

This may sound crazy at this point but don't count out Chance Warmack yet.

Remember...David DeCastro got every bit the pre-draft "big, strong, intelligent next-Steve Hutchinson" hype that Warmack has gotten this year and fell to the very #24 spot we hold this year.

We've seen Warmack projected a lot to the Titans at #10...but they just signed OG Andy Levitre for big bucks so they ain't drafting Warmack now, not with that $8M per year contract to Levitre....who I highly doubt Buffalo will spend a #8 overall pick replacing.

A gauntlet of teams from San Diego at #11 to the Vikings #23 exists where he could land but those teams also have a lot of needs and OG is deep this year....they might just hold off.

I'm not banking on this mind you....but I wouldn't count it out either. We could get a steal at #24.

I think the Warford grade is an example of some very bad and some very questionable grades on the NFL.com website.

Not that he's a bad player -- he's not.    But he's just not that good.   And there's no reason for him to have a 1st round grade.

He's more likely a 2nd round player.

Saw a write-up of him saying he was better in 2011 than he was in 2012 and that he gained all sorts of bad weight for 2012 and was just not that impressive.   Then,  he's lost weight after the season and has had a good run up to the draft.   All-star games, combine and such.    That's a bit of a red flag for me.    And I like the kid.

Put another way,  if you're going to use a 1st round pick on a guard,  he darn well better be special.   Warmack, Cooper and DeCastro are special.     Warford is not.    He's good.    But he's not that good.

That's a highly questionable grade on NFL.com.

Remember...David DeCastro got every bit the pre-draft "big, strong, intelligent next-Steve Hutchinson" hype that Warmack has gotten this year and fell to the very #24 spot we hold this year.

We've seen Warmack projected a lot to the Titans at #10...but they just signed OG Andy Levitre for big bucks so they ain't drafting Warmack now, not with that $8M per year contract to Levitre....who I highly doubt Buffalo will spend a #8 overall pick replacing.

A gauntlet of teams from San Diego at #11 to the Vikings #23 exists where he could land but those teams also have a lot of needs and OG is deep this year....they might just hold off.

I'm not banking on this mind you....but I wouldn't count it out either. We could get a steal at #24.

I just dont see chicago, dallas, MIami, rams, chargers, arizona  all passing him

I just dont see chicago, dallas, MIami, rams, chargers, arizona  all passing him

People always over value guards come draft time. I see mocks on nfl.com with both cooper and warmack going top 10 and I have to laugh. I think there is a shot one of them will be there, simply because teams don't like spending high picks on guards.

True, but I don't think we're going to see as many QB's drafted in the top 25 as there were last year. :)

People always over value guards come draft time. I see mocks on nfl.com with both cooper and warmack going top 10 and I have to laugh. I think there is a shot one of them will be there, simply because teams don't like spending high picks on guards.

I agree on that, and quite honestly if im a GM and choosing between OLB and G i will take OLB always (supposing similar grades). but still warmack is just way to good who fits a position of need for about 6 teams picking before us, i just dont see him falling to us...but who knows.

and i dont see a flury of QB's taken in the first round like last year making possible to pitts to get decastro...for all we know only 1 qb might be taken in the top 15

I agree. That is why I feel Cooper will be there at No.24 for Grigson.

According to nfl.com, he is rated as 88.3 (1st round pick) but many mock drafts (and some of you for that matter) think he isn't a 1st rounder. If we can trade down, I would very much like to go for him.

But my question is: if for some reason,we can't trade down-should we take him in the 1st or take someone else in the 1st and hope he is there later on?

I'm not a big fan of taking OGs in the 1st round.  IMHO the guy would have to be a real freak to be that high.  I do like Warford, however, and was touting him when it looked like he could be gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.  He had a good combine and Senior Bowl to raise his stock.

I think Warford has gotten a bit overblown.  He's a mid- to late-2nd round value, who will be an average NFL starter.  We need an average NFL starter...so I wouldn't be adverse to having him on the team.  But it seems wrong to take him at 24.  Problem is: I have no idea who is worth that spot for us.  We seem to have left a lot of OL improvement to the draft, so I'd love to take an interior lineman at #24, but Warford or Barrett Jones (the two best that will be available to us) will be reaches at #24.  I think I'd pencil in someone like OL Brian Winter of Kent State in the 3rd, and take a luxury WR or CB in the 1st.  They will be better values.  Of course, trading down into the 2nd and taking Barrett Jones would be my first choice...

Getting our center of the future here NOW to learn this new offense and be ready for our SB runs in 2014, 2015 is a MUST!

However we make it happen!

Warford is 2nd round talent, the only way the Colts will get him is if they trade back and get him. It's definitely not worth reaching for him.

He could become a solid guard, but he's not worth that 24 pick. Much better value at 24, and maybe it's best for the Colts to go BPA.

There are a lot of talented guards in this draft, some that even go into the late 4th round.

To many playmakers out there to count out Warmack!!  If Warmack, Cooper, Patterson, Lotuleli is available...then we use our RD 1.