Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mcafee Says He's Good From 68 Yards!(Game Situation)

presto123

C'mon Colts find a way to get the man a shot. At the end of a half or towards the end of the game I don't care but I would love to see Pat blow away the current 63 yard record that three guys own. Pat also said 63 is actually kind of easy for him and that he believes he has the strongest leg in the NFL. I like the confidence. He said he would like to take over the kicking duties as well after Adam is finished.

Kicking 70-75 yards in practice is very different from kicking 70-75 yards in game. There is much more pressure as you only have 1 shot at it and about 1.7 seconds (I think I heard that's how long it takes to snap, hold and kick a FG) and there are 11 guys coming to knock your head off.

That's why I said game situation in the thread title. McAfee stressed he could hit up to a 68 yarder in a GAME.

Kicking 70-75 yards in practice is very different from kicking 70-75 yards in game. There is much more pressure as you only have 1 shot at it and about 1.7 seconds (I think I heard that's how long it takes to snap, hold and kick a FG) and there are 11 guys coming to knock your head off.

Also, you will have audiences sitting in stands waving god knows what to distract the kicker. This includes cheeseheads, terrible towels, signs saying "kick me," etc.

Agree with all of this. That's why I was actually hoping to see Pat get the FG and extra point kicking duties in the preseason. We already know what we have with Vinny...there are no questions there and I think most would agree that, while the preseason is for getting players into regular season form, I'm not sure that would apply to kickers too...especially a veteran like Adam. So imo I didn't see any harm in letting Pat do the kicking in the preseason just to see how he would react to an in game situation.

C'mon Colts find a way to get the man a shot. At the end of a half or towards the end of the game I don't care but I would love to see Pat blow away the current 63 yard record that three guys own. Pat also said 63 is actually kind of easy for him and that he believes he has the strongest leg in the NFL. I like the confidence. He said he would like to take over the kicking duties as well after Adam is finished.

We might as well find some bright spots and fun this season, I was thinking the same thing! I will also give him credit for a pretty nice hit he put on that return punt against cleveland... sad that it was necessary, but I'm looking for little things to be happy about. When is the last time you've seen a punter clobber somebody with such force? Pat acted ticked, which was cool.

We might as well find some bright spots and fun this season, I was thinking the same thing! I will also give him credit for a pretty nice hit he put on that return punt against cleveland... sad that it was necessary, but I'm looking for little things to be happy about. When is the last time you've seen a punter clobber somebody with such force? Pat acted ticked, which was cool.

Yeah it was funny in the interview today he said he always makes a point to talk with the other teams return man before the game. He said he's told some of them don't run me over if you see me in the open field.lol

The only time I would put him in is if it's the end of halftime, and there is no nothing to lose. I would never put him in for 68 yard field goal during a game, and the same goes for Janikowski and Crosby. They only let them attempt it at the end of the half...

Pat, then kick it through the dang endzone every kick off. You have to see that you are the leading tackler on special teams. If you can kick it accurately that far, then kick the crud out of the ball on every kick off.

Pat admitted in the interview that lately he hasn't been hitting the kickoffs as good as he could be. Good post man.

Had to listen to the second half on the radio, but I thought I heard Lamey say that Mcafee put a kickoff through the uprights. Can anybody confirm?

If it didn't go through the uprights it was darn close. I remember thinking at that point Pat was right in everything he said:)

If I remember correctly, he kicked one through the uprights, and only once, did he not kick it out of the back of the Endzone, or so far back that the returned had a back foot out of the back, preventing a return.

The only kick I remember that didn't go out of the back of the Endzone...Pat was the tackler, lol.