Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver going over Cap?

IndyTrav

Where is Denver getting all this money?

I am looking over at Baltimore, who's QB just signed a massive contract, yet the Cap hit isn't to large, and they are releasing anyone and everyone.

While Denver, who's QB is making more, and a larger cap hit, are signing anyone and everyone they can get there hands on. What gives?

I count 10 signings since March 8th, without taking into account the franchising of Clady.

According to SportTrac, there active contracts Cap hit is $139mill. And they haven't drafted yet.

Someone help explain this to me.

I am looking over at Baltimore, who's QB just signed a massive contract, yet the Cap hit isn't to large, and they are releasing anyone and everyone.

While Denver, who's QB is making more, and a larger cap hit, are signing anyone and everyone they can get there hands on. What gives?

I count 10 signings since March 8th, without taking into account the franchising of Clady.

According to SportTrac, there active contracts Cap hit is $139mill. And they haven't drafted yet.

Well....the last time they won the Superbowl they were over the cap. So.... ... ... ... ;)

They have cap room to roll over from last year.

Pretty soon, they will be cutting Joe Mays, Keith Brooking etc., and like I said before, now that the dust settles, with Peyton passing his physical and knowing what they have, dont be shocked if Peyton restructures along with Champ too.

Cap experts can chime in. If they take half of Peyton's guaranteed money ($10 mil.) and change it to a signing bonus, what will be the salary cap savings?

I am thinking that since his next 2 years are what are in the official contract, it would be a savings of $5 mil. since the signing bonus is pro-rated over 2 years, right?

Here was an article on Business Insider that I found: http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-contract-restructuring-takes-advantage-of-loophole-2013-2

No team can ever be over the cap during the league year. Ever. The NFL would start cutting players off their roster for them.

I don't believe this is true.  Take a look at the following:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/09/nfl-salary-cap-free-agency-cowboys-saints-panthers-redskins-steelers/1975197/

The NFL hasn't gone and made cuts to their roster.  If memory serves me correctly, they pay a penalty that get distributed.  They do have to be under the cap, but they have time to get there.  The NFL can't just cut Romo from the Cowboys to get them under the cap. 

Pretty soon, they will be cutting Joe Mays, Keith Brooking etc., and like I said before, now that the dust settles, with Peyton passing his physical and knowing what they have, dont be shocked if Peyton restructures along with Champ too.

Cap experts can chime in. If they take half of Peyton's guaranteed money ($10 mil.) and change it to a signing bonus, what will be the salary cap savings?

I am thinking that since his next 2 years are what are in the official contract, it would be a savings of $5 mil. since the signing bonus is pro-rated over 2 years, right?

Here was an article on Business Insider that I found: http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-contract-restructuring-takes-advantage-of-loophole-2013-2

According to Sportrac and SI, Mays is still on the team, and counting against, but Brookings is not.

Sportrac seems to be on it pretty well with additions and subtractions of the roster. They've already had DRC and Welker on there as well as the other signings.

I don't believe this is true.  Take a look at the following:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/09/nfl-salary-cap-free-agency-cowboys-saints-panthers-redskins-steelers/1975197/

The NFL hasn't gone and made cuts to their roster.  If memory serves me correctly, they pay a penalty that get distributed.  They do have to be under the cap, but they have time to get there.  The NFL can't just cut Romo from the Cowboys to get them under the cap. 

Yeah. Maybe they can't be over the cap during the regular season? I just remember Ian Rappaport saying teams needed to be under the cap before the new league year begins. 

Yeah. Maybe they can't be over the cap during the regular season? I just remember Ian Rappaport saying teams needed to be under the cap before the new league year begins. 

This is true, but there are deadlines and the odds of team passing the deadline without getting under is slim, very slim.

Cap experts can chime in. If they take half of Peyton's guaranteed money ($10 mil.) and change it to a signing bonus, what will be the salary cap savings?

The Broncos also agreed to new contracts with receiver Wes Welker (two years, $12 million), defensive tackle Terrance Knighton (two years, $4.5 million) and linebacker/special teamer Stewart Bradley (one year, $1.2 million) earlier in the day.

Those signings came a day after the Broncos opened the free-agency period Tuesday by agreeing to terms with right guard Louis Vasquez (four years, $23.5 million) and re-signing defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson (two years, $5 million).

Add in the franchise tag applied to left tackle Ryan Clady and re-signing of safety David Bruton to a three-year, $4.5 million contract and the Broncos have allocated close to $66 million worth of contracts in the free-agent period.

Asked if the Broncos were pushing their salary cap limit, Broncos' front office boss John Elway said, "No, we're in good shape."

Read more:Broncos cap busy day by signing cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22785815/broncos-cap-busy-day-by-signing-cornerback-dominique#ixzz2NWmMRqMM

Can someone explain how splitting Wes Welker's compensation..

$3 mil bonus and $ 3 mil salary..helps you on the cap??

I was wondering exactly what Trav was..

If Peyton's $20 mil salary kicked in this week with $10 mil in the cap..

and they signed Cromartie and the SD O-lineman....

and they still have Elvis D..with Champ Bailey and Clady at $9 mil...

Von Miller is still on his rookie deal and mayeb a few other area, too.

Big they will be setting out big dollars for Demariyus Thomas and Eric Decker next off-season, right?

Even of they they cut DJ Williams and Joe Mays..dont they have to cut Dumervill.?

No team can ever be over the cap during the league year. Ever. The NFL would start cutting players off their roster for them.

That is simply not true. You can roll over previous years savings into this year. If we don't use all our cap this year...say we save 10 mil...that gets added to our next year. They then take a 4 yr sampling to make sure we dont go over in those 4 yrs or not under the 89% rule. Technically they saved I think almost 10 mil last year so they can spend over it. 

That said they will definately restructure Dummerville to make enough room to sign their draft picks. I think as it stands they are like 50-150k under the cap....but yet to sign rookies...they will be fine once they clean up some of their bad contracts. If Dummerville won't restructure...he will be cut and they will add someone like Freeney on the cheap.

They are all in...they got like a 2-3 yr window...and no reason not to put all the chips on the table....what else would they be waiting for? NE has the same scenerio...only a couple more years of elite qb play and then they have to figure out the transition....another championship for either side would decide their legacy. Brady, Belichek, Peyton, and Elway.

They signed a lot of free agents to short term deals last year, and most of these upgrades are replacements. They didn't create much in the way of dead cap space by letting last years go. IE:

Rodgers-Cromartie replaces Tracy Porter

Terrance Knighton replaces Ty Warren and Justin Bannon

And while yes, Welker replaces Stokely at a much higher salary,

Stewart Bradley replaces DJ Williams and Keith Brookings at a dramatically lower salary.

Vasquez's signing likely means the end for Chris Kuper due to injury.

Similarly if they sign a vet RB I'm sure that McGahee will go.

And as absurd as Dumervils salary will be next year if things don't change, I think that his cap hit will be less regardless. And the fact is that it's pretty clear that they intend to either talk him down a couple or several million, or release him. Either way they'll make the cap work.

The bottom line is that they aren't so much wildly signing expensive free agents, they are upgrading position after position at reasonable prices. So far it looks masterful - with the sole concern being Dumervil, They obviously can't have their pass rush take a big step backwards. I would guess that they are confident that he is replaceable, because otherwise it would appear that they have painted themselves into a corner. Just giving in and letting his contract stand is probably not an option.

Obviously, this organization is in a desperate win it all now mode. This is the classic Daniel Synder short term win approach, but at least the Broncos have picked up much better free agents than the Redskins. Smirking Elway is still smarting over that bomb that flew over Moore's head after he was congratulating himself and opening up champagne corks. These are the moves of a desperate GM fixated on a one year window. If he fails, he will be Tebowing !

That is simply not true. You can roll over previous years savings into this year. If we don't use all our cap this year...say we save 10 mil...that gets added to our next year. They then take a 4 yr sampling to make sure we dont go over in those 4 yrs or not under the 89% rule. Technically they saved I think almost 10 mil last year so they can spend over it. 

That said they will definately restructure Dummerville to make enough room to sign their draft picks. I think as it stands they are like 50-150k under the cap....but yet to sign rookies...they will be fine once they clean up some of their bad contracts. If Dummerville won't restructure...he will be cut and they will add someone like Freeney on the cheap.

They are all in...they got like a 2-3 yr window...and no reason not to put all the chips on the table....what else would they be waiting for? NE has the same scenerio...only a couple more years of elite qb play and then they have to figure out the transition....another championship for either side would decide their legacy. Brady, Belichek, Peyton, and Elway.

That's fine. I'm just listening to what they were reporting on NFL network regarding Free agency/ Cap. More than welcome to show me the facts. 

I refer u to this, u may have read it, I posted it to try & answer u

someone asked, Here's Broncos Recap on deals and CAP ROOM & what to expect will look for in draft - Denver Post

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/16479-someone-asked-heres-broncos-recap-on-deals-and-cap-room-what-to-expect-will-look-for-in-draft-denver-post/

Posted March 15, 2013, 10:51 am MT
Here’s where the Broncos found the money to use in free agency

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/03/15/heres-where-the-broncos-found-the-money-to-use-in-free-agency/18897/