Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drafting a WR

bobourret

There's a few WR's I really like that grade out from the range of our first-third rounder. Most will probably be 2nd rounders, but we may need to spend our first to land them. There's also a chance one of them's there for our 3rd rounder.Hopkins is definitely one of them, quite possibly at the top of the list.

The others: Hunter,  Swope, Harper, Wheaton, and Quinton Patton. 

There is zero chance of it happening, but I would run to the podium if Justin Hunter is there in the 3rd

They played Texas the season before the one that just ended. He was healthy

Allen's brother is also the worst division 1 QB I've ever seen. If Allen played for Stanford (TX wouldn't be good enough to get into a bowl with them) it would have been a different story.

After Day 1 FA: DRAFT...

1. Jones-DE, Hopkins-WR, Elam-SS, Patterson-WR

3. Schwenke-C, Rogers-WR, Thomas-SS, Swearinger-SS

4. Harper-WR, Geathers-NT, Gillislee-RB

5. Hawthorne-DB, Taylor-RB, Graham-RB

6. Motta-SS...

Why waste a 3rd on a Center?  We have Satele with URRGH 2 more years on his contract, and a center that when he played we averaged over 100 yards....even when he picked his nose in pictures....and has mini-me arms...at least that's what his haters say.... :funny:

Schwenke DID play guard until his senior year however.....

I think there will still be guys their.  I would hope its someone like Patterson or Allen who have some size to them and not someone like Austin who I feel is a carbin copy of Hilton.

I will take your word for both guys since i am really late into the WR draft discussion because I didn't think we needed one.

NNNOOOOOOOOOO

draft DEFENSE...

our offense is fine

Really?  Our best receiver is 34.  Our next is 5-9 183 soaking wet with equipment on.  I love Hilton, but I don't see him as a good blocker nor a receiver that can escape a lot of jams.  We have a legitimate need for a #1/#2 receiver, unless you think Brazill or Whalen fit that bill, which i don't.

I would be fine w/ a WR early. Giving a franchise QB another weapon is never a bad thing. If I could choose though, Ide want Elam.

I don't understand why fans want Landry he brings nothing extra to the table. Hes a lot like Bethea, big hitters who aren't great in coverage. Elam though, brings coverage ability and is a decent hitter. He's got a little Bob in him.

Back to WR though, there are young guys out there. I'm not saying I want them but guys like Titus Young & HeywardBey are available to sign. They are young & have speed. On top of that, Luck did pretty well w/o stellar WRs.

Again, I'm really fine with whatever they do.

I see in the 3rd round..(or 2nd if the Colts decide to trade down out of the 1st round)

Quinton Patton | Wide Receiver
Team:  College Player Age / DOB: (22) / 8/9/1990 Ht / Wt: 6'0' / 202 College:

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton ran forty times of 4.46 and 4.50 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Patton happens to be Rotoworld draft analyst Alen Dumonjic's No. 1-rated receiver in the 2013 class.
A quicker-than-fast and savvy route runner, Patton's forty times are respectable for a wide receiver
drawing some comparisons to Colts WR Reggie Wayne. Dumonjic believes Patton compares to Patriots
WR Brandon Lloyd, and broke down some of Patton's tape in late October at the link below. Feb 24 - 11:56 AM   

He's being compared to Reggie and Brandon Lloyd..I'll take a guy that's comparable to either of them as our #2..From what I've seen and read, the guy catches everything thrown his way...and runs great routes...If he's there in the 3rd round, or, if we trade down out of the 1st round and get a second round pick, I'd say grab this kid... If he's as good a route runner and great hands as people believe, imagine what Reggie could do with him as his mentor...

Just my two cents...