Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching To Blame For Majority Of Defensive Issues Today

Jason_

All right folks, just looking at the overall stats and final score one may think our defense did not play well. There are still definitely some issues on defense but the majority of it is on the coaches and not the players. As I was watching the game I kept getting the feeling the tampa 2 was the majority of the problem so I decided to rewatch the entire game (I always record the games so I can skip through commercials) and analyze every defensive play for the Colts to see if I was right.

**Note: I stopped keeping track late in the fourth quarter right after the Hillis TD run.

I broke the plays down by Cleveland's rushing plays where Indy used the Tampa 2 and rushing plays when Indy used a cover 2. I also kept 2 separate lists for passing plays...one for plays on 1st and 2nd down and another for 3rd down and broke it down by whether the Colts ran the tampa 2 or cover 2. Another note is I did my best to distinguish between tampa 2 and cover 2 and my basis was whether or no Angerer started moving backwards at the start of the play.

First of all I want to say that Pat Angerer played a great game. The primary reason I say this is I could not find a single Cleveland rushing play where Angerer took a full step backwards. So even if they were running the tampa 2 on a particular play I'd have never known it because he recognized the run fast enough to not even take 1 step backwards.

So ok here we go...first rushing plays. Like I said there wasn't a single rushing play where Angerer took a step backwards so all of the rushing plays were included as if the Colts were running a cover 2 and not the tampa 2. This is also not Hillis' numbers only but also included their other RB's. I did not, however, include the QB sneak.

Cleveland had, at the time I stopped keeping track, 89 yards on 28 carries which is an average of 3.2 yards per carry. They gave up 2 TD's and forced 2 fumbles.

The worst play was definitely the 24 yard TD run. This was simply a situation where we took a risk (you know, what most people say we don't do enough) and called a run blitz. Angerer and I believe Conner lined up in the middle over the C/G and Wheeler lined up on the offensive right side. Bullitt was lined up in a LB type position on the offense's left side. I believe this play was designed to go up the middle but the middle was clogged by our DL and LB's and unfortunately Hillis was able to bounce it just to his left where pretty much Bullitt was the primary line of defense. Bullitt vs. Hillis is NEVER going to work out in our favor. I think that even if you include this play, our defense played incredibly well against the run. Remember that Hillis ran for 1,177 yards last year with a 4.4 ypc average and 73.6 yards average per game. We held him below his per game average and significantly below is per carry average.

Ok now let's look at our pass defense.

On 1st and 2nd downs when running the Tampa 2 (Angerer starts out running backwards), Colt McCoy was

8/8 for 68 yards with an average of 8.5 yards per attempt.

On 1st and 2nd downs when NOT running the Tampa 2 (Angerer not running backwards), Colt McCoy was

9/15 for 74 yards with an average of 4.9 yards per attempt. One of these plays was an 18 yard completion. The reason for this completion was because Powers was playing as far off the WR as Lacey usually does. I noticed in this game there were several plays where Lacey was lining up closer to the WR but on several of those plays, Powers wound up playing off.

On 3rd downs running the Tampa 2 McCoy was

1/3 for 8 yards with 2.7 yards per attempt

On 3rd downs not running the Tampa 2 McCoy was

4/7 for 61 yards averaging 8.7 yards per attempt. Also on these plays 1 TD and 1 forced fumble. On the 16 yard TD pass in the first quarter, plain and simple they beat our zone. McCoy was able to avoid the pressure and made a great play to find the small open window and get the TD. Also there was 1 play in this category that was an 11 yard completion. The Colts blitzed on this play and played Man coverage on the WR's and Lacey simply got beat.

To summarize all this, when they use the Tampa 2 on 3rd down situations, most of them were long yardage, it works the way it's supposed to. McCoy completed only 1 out of 3 pass attempts for 8 yards. When they use the Tampa 2 when they shouldn't (on ANY 1st or 2nd down, no matter the yardage) McCoy was 8 for 8 for 68 yards. Many of these passes gained a 1st down and extended drives. If McCoy can do this with the below average receiving core they have imagine what would happen against a team like NE or GB.

The defensive coaches have got to see this and eliminate the Tampa 2 on 1st and 2nd downs. Also replace Lacey and our defense looks a whole lot different. I don't put a majority of this on Caldwell because he's more of an offensive coach. Coyer and his assistants definitely need to catch this and make some corrections fast. The point is, however, that our players are playing very well. The majority of the times they're not succeeding is due to the scheme and not their play. If you're going to give up hope on anyone here it should be the coaches. Just my $0.02. :)

All right folks, just looking at the overall stats and final score one may think our defense did not play well. There are still definitely some issues on defense but the majority of it is on the coaches and not the players. As I was watching the game I kept getting the feeling the tampa 2 was the majority of the problem so I decided to rewatch the entire game (I always record the games so I can skip through commercials) and analyze every defensive play for the Colts to see if I was right.

**Note: I stopped keeping track late in the fourth quarter right after the Hillis TD run.

I broke the plays down by Cleveland's rushing plays where Indy used the Tampa 2 and rushing plays when Indy used a cover 2. I also kept 2 separate lists for passing plays...one for plays on 1st and 2nd down and another for 3rd down and broke it down by whether the Colts ran the tampa 2 or cover 2. Another note is I did my best to distinguish between tampa 2 and cover 2 and my basis was whether or no Angerer started moving backwards at the start of the play.

First of all I want to say that Pat Angerer played a great game. The primary reason I say this is I could not find a single Cleveland rushing play where Angerer took a full step backwards. So even if they were running the tampa 2 on a particular play I'd have never known it because he recognized the run fast enough to not even take 1 step backwards.

So ok here we go...first rushing plays. Like I said there wasn't a single rushing play where Angerer took a step backwards so all of the rushing plays were included as if the Colts were running a cover 2 and not the tampa 2. This is also not Hillis' numbers only but also included their other RB's. I did not, however, include the QB sneak.

Cleveland had, at the time I stopped keeping track, 89 yards on 28 carries which is an average of 3.2 yards per carry. They gave up 2 TD's and forced 2 fumbles.

The worst play was definitely the 24 yard TD run. This was simply a situation where we took a risk (you know, what most people say we don't do enough) and called a run blitz. Angerer and I believe Conner lined up in the middle over the C/G and Wheeler lined up on the offensive right side. Bullitt was lined up in a LB type position on the offense's left side. I believe this play was designed to go up the middle but the middle was clogged by our DL and LB's and unfortunately Hillis was able to bounce it just to his left where pretty much Bullitt was the primary line of defense. Bullitt vs. Hillis is NEVER going to work out in our favor. I think that even if you include this play, our defense played incredibly well against the run. Remember that Hillis ran for 1,177 yards last year with a 4.4 ypc average and 73.6 yards average per game. We held him below his per game average and significantly below is per carry average.

Ok now let's look at our pass defense.

On 1st and 2nd downs when running the Tampa 2 (Angerer starts out running backwards), Colt McCoy was

8/8 for 68 yards with an average of 8.5 yards per attempt.

On 1st and 2nd downs when NOT running the Tampa 2 (Angerer not running backwards), Colt McCoy was

9/15 for 74 yards with an average of 4.9 yards per attempt. One of these plays was an 18 yard completion. The reason for this completion was because Powers was playing as far off the WR as Lacey usually does. I noticed in this game there were several plays where Lacey was lining up closer to the WR but on several of those plays, Powers wound up playing off.

On 3rd downs running the Tampa 2 McCoy was

1/3 for 8 yards with 2.7 yards per attempt

On 3rd downs not running the Tampa 2 McCoy was

4/7 for 61 yards averaging 8.7 yards per attempt. Also on these plays 1 TD and 1 forced fumble. On the 16 yard TD pass in the first quarter, plain and simple they beat our zone. McCoy was able to avoid the pressure and made a great play to find the small open window and get the TD. Also there was 1 play in this category that was an 11 yard completion. The Colts blitzed on this play and played Man coverage on the WR's and Lacey simply got beat.

To summarize all this, when they use the Tampa 2 on 3rd down situations, most of them were long yardage, it works the way it's supposed to. McCoy completed only 1 out of 3 pass attempts for 8 yards. When they use the Tampa 2 when they shouldn't (on ANY 1st or 2nd down, no matter the yardage) McCoy was 8 for 8 for 68 yards. Many of these passes gained a 1st down and extended drives. If McCoy can do this with the below average receiving core they have imagine what would happen against a team like NE or GB.

The defensive coaches have got to see this and eliminate the Tampa 2 on 1st and 2nd downs. Also replace Lacey and our defense looks a whole lot different. I don't put a majority of this on Caldwell because he's more of an offensive coach. Coyer and his assistants definitely need to catch this and make some corrections fast. The point is, however, that our players are playing very well. The majority of the times they're not succeeding is due to the scheme and not their play. If you're going to give up hope on anyone here it should be the coaches. Just my $0.02. :)

i thought they were gonna watch the film a make adjustments, lol.every passing down not one freaking blitz!!!!!!!playing 7 yards off the ball every 3 and short, hmm what would you do ? i know throw a slant FIRST DOWN, AND NOW

THE the great colt mccoy looks like joe montana. great adjustments caldwell you are the man. i was at the game and we never had more than 7 in the box. and the offense, well lets just say the play calling was offensive.

i thought they were gonna watch the film a make adjustments, lol.every passing down not one freaking blitz!!!!!!!playing 7 yards off the ball every 3 and short, hmm what would you do ? i know throw a slant FIRST DOWN, AND NOW

THE the great colt mccoy looks like joe montana. great adjustments caldwell you are the man. i was at the game and we never had more than 7 in the box. and the offense, well lets just say the play calling was offensive.

the part about not blitzing is simply not true. I even pointed out 2 plays where blitzing hurt us but there were several other blitzes that were more effective. They actually blitzed more than I thought they would.

As for not having any more than 7 in the box....I don't get it. The defense played very well against the run about 95% of the time. Why would you put more guys in the box when the front 7 are doing the job?!?

the part about not blitzing is simply not true. I even pointed out 2 plays where blitzing hurt us but there were several other blitzes that were more effective. They actually blitzed more than I thought they would.

As for not having any more than 7 in the box....I don't get it. The defense played very well against the run about 95% of the time. Why would you put more guys in the box when the front 7 are doing the job?!?

coyer is clueless

We do blitz often, and it kills us because we dont have personel who are effective doing so. I agree with your assessment, and I would personally love to see the tampa 2 gone forever. I cant get onboard with a defense that is based on the bend but dont break philosophy. Giving space and hoping for mistakes is not defense, its what you do with High school girls when you are 18.

We do blitz often, and it kills us because we dont have personel who are effective doing so. I agree with your assessment, and I would personally love to see the tampa 2 gone forever. I cant get onboard with a defense that is based on the bend but dont break philosophy. Giving space and hoping for mistakes is not defense, its what you do with High school girls when you are 18.

IMO the biggest thing we need to be a more effective blitzing team is an upgrade at CB. A new #1 CB and moving Powers to #2 would make a huge difference.

I haven't looked at stats but overall it seems that they are better at the run (not much) and have regressed in defending the pass.

Not sure if it's line, LB's, or DB's, but I'm thinking scheme.

I didn't get the game today (listened on Sirius) but it seemed that both Schaub and McCoy were hitting their receivers up the middle.

I haven't looked at stats but overall it seems that they are better at the run (not much) and have regressed in defending the pass.

Not sure if it's line, LB's, or DB's, but I'm thinking scheme.

I didn't get the game today (listened on Sirius) but it seemed that both Schaub and McCoy were hitting their receivers up the middle.

That's exactly right, which is what I was pointing out in the original post. When they use the tampa 2 and have Angerer running backwards when the ball is snapped, it leads to a big play by the offense. Out of 8 plays where the Browns passed in those situations on 1st and 2nd downs, the Browns completed 8 of 8 passes for 68 yards and I didn't count how many first downs. On third down and 10 or more the scheme is effective. On other downs it simply is not.

coyer is clueless

I was going to say Coyer is who I blame. Again Caldwell doesn't coach the defense he's not Dungy so I don't really hold him responable for that. If the whole team is not ready to play then yes I would blame Caldwell but frankly the game started well. We had a good offensive game plan and there was a real effort to run the ball. In the game Caldwell called timeouts like he should and challenged when he should. We didn't have many flags so all and all I thought Caldwell did his job. I have a real issue with the way the defense was called and that goes on the shoulders of Coyer.

On defense though, this HAS to change. At this point I would welcome getting beat deep becuase that means we are up being aggresive. I don't get the logic in what we are doing. We play a defense that is designed to make the ball come out quickly yet we play our corners off to guard against a deep pass that you need time to throw... Maybe against Rodgers, Brees, or Brady you play that way but everyone else it makes no sense.

Now with that said I don't put all the blame on coaching either. Some of it is still missed tackles when the right plays were called (the last TD is an example of this Bullitt was in poistion to make a tackle and didn't). Also sometimes I did notice Tryon and Lacey playing up and just not being ready for the cut when the guy cut.

It is worth noting the run defense was better (we held the Browns to a 3.1 YPC which is good, it's worse than what we have averaged on the ground the past two years just to put it in context). The real issue was third down. We just could not get off the field and make a play on third down all day long. When you can't do that it's going to be a long day and it was.

coyer is clueless

I must say in THIS game the defense was good, the reason the browns were so successful was because he's a DUAL THEREAT QB, he was able to get out of the pocket and extend plays... you will only cover a guy for so long until he gets open. With a less mobile QB they would have done better.... BUT they should have also planned for Colt running skills.

WHAT THE BLANK WERE YOU WATCHING.maybe we both are like coach jim, and dont know what we are seeing. i was there and saw little to no pressure. and were only bit by slants and outs when it was less then 7yards for a first down and our corners were 10 yards off the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE BLANK WERE YOU WATCHING.maybe we both are like coach jim, and dont know what we are seeing. i was there and saw little to no pressure. and were only bit by slants and outs when it was less then 7yards for a first down and our corners were 10 yards off the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there was no pressure Colt McCoy wouldnt have to extend the play now would he?

we blitz really. can you define blitz, we might have blitzed twice today. i know colt fans might not get it , but bringing five is not a blitz!or having a saftey within 12 yards of the ball is not a blitz either.

If there was no pressure Colt McCoy wouldnt have to extend the play now would he?

cmon on man their line is horrible when your two ends are getting pressure that is not blitzing. cmon people we get offense, but we better learn defense. if you want to sit here and blow smoke up my blank

about our great defense than you really dont get the game. smitto you really cant even start to defend this scheme or coaching of defense.

we blitz really. can you define blitz, we might have blitzed twice today. i know colt fans might not get it , but bringing five is not a blitz!or having a saftey within 12 yards of the ball is not a blitz either.

That is not correct plain and simple. In a 4-3 defense, bringing 5 or more players is considered a blitz. Sending just one LB a the QB along with the 4 down linemen is a blitz. Bringing 1 safety or 1 cb along with the 4 down linemen is a blitz. Essentially, bringing any player other than the 4 down linemen is a blitz. They blitzed several times...sometimes it worked out and forced McCoy out of the pocket where he was unfortunately able to make a few plays. A couple of times we got burnt pretty badly which led to the Hillis rushing TD in the 4th quarter and another passing TD early on. Then there were several plays where the blitz did work and forced an incompletion and once an almost interception.

cmon on man their line is horrible when your two ends are getting pressure that is not blitzing. cmon people we get offense, but we better learn defense. if you want to sit here and blow smoke up my blank

about our great defense than you really dont get the game. smitto you really cant even start to defend this scheme or coaching of defense.

If I hadn't already deleted the recording of the game I would almost offer to sit down with you and explain the game to you....if I thought there was a point.

If I hadn't already deleted the recording of the game I would almost offer to sit down with you and explain the game to you....if I thought there was a point.

no need it is apparent you are a defensive guru, i concede our defense is awesome, and yes 5 is a massive blitz. i am sorry and all these years watching and didnt relize we are on par with the 85 BEARS.THE SCHEME IS GREAT!

and i would love to sit with you and have you explane just how great this D really is.

no need it is apparent you are a defensive guru, i concede our defense is awesome, and yes 5 is a massive blitz. i am sorry and all these years watching and didnt relize we are on par with the 85 BEARS.THE SCHEME IS GREAT!

and i would love to sit with you and have you explane just how great this D really is.

lol...wow talk about putting words in my mouth.

and yes 5 is a massive blitz

I never said it was a massive blitz...but it is a blitz none the less. You very clearly said it wasn't.

didnt relize we are on par with the 85 BEARS.THE SCHEME IS GREAT!

Yeah I didn't say anything anywhere close to that.

I never said our defense was great. I said they played very well and the problems that remain can in large part be fixed by dropping the Tampa 2 on 1st and 2nd downs. I don't know how much more clearly I can explain it than I did in the original post. Perhaps crayons and construction paper are in order.

Larry Coyer should be the one to blame. He needs to fix up these schemes, he needs to bring in the Larry COyer of old, the Larry Coyer from Denver. He would blitz 7 guys at times, and that defense was in the top 10. What happened, we have a better D-line than the early 00's Broncs, almost as good linebacking core, better safeties, but not better corners. We should do almost as good as they did. They should stop playing so much Tampa 2 and all the old Tony Dungy crap, and start playing Larry Coyer's old stuff and teach the kids some new schemes. Also, they should play more man coverage, I've seen teams kill us on slants and 5 yard passes.

Cant lay it on the 'D'...

This wasn't a bad defensive effort....a few sacks..a key turnover....

...Our corners had an awful day..but they had 20 points before the turnover TD at the end..

We should have scored 30 or more..

..we've got to score on teams like Cleveland. The chances were there..

When your most productive offensive player is your placekicker....That's a bad day on offense..

Larry Coyer should be the one to blame. He needs to fix up these schemes, he needs to bring in the Larry COyer of old, the Larry Coyer from Denver. He would blitz 7 guys at times, and that defense was in the top 10. What happened, we have a better D-line than the early 00's Broncs, almost as good linebacking core, better safeties, but not better corners. We should do almost as good as they did. They should stop playing so much Tampa 2 and all the old Tony Dungy crap, and start playing Larry Coyer's old stuff and teach the kids some new schemes. Also, they should play more man coverage, I've seen teams kill us on slants and 5 yard passes.

Mostly agree...but some of those slants and 5 yard passes on the edges are against Lacey...he's getting beaten on a regular basis by the opposing WR's. That's the one reason I'd keep limiting the number of blitzes for now. If we can shore up the CB position and feel comfortable leaving our guys 1 on 1 with the opposing WR's then we'd be in a much better position to blitz more often.

...Our corners had an awful day..but they had 20 points before the turnover TD at the end..

When your most productive offensive player is your placekicker....That's a bad day on offense..

not to mention our kicker is our best tackler on special teams, for the last three years. but i heard caldwell say they are going to watch the game

tape and get that fixed.

I agree and I'm by no means putting the loss entirely on the defense. I'd thought about doing a separate post on the offense but I didn't break down the offensive plays in detail like I did with the defense.

I wanted to make this post strictly about the defense and how I honestly believe scheme is the cause for the majority of the problems we do still have. Honestly, I think the defense played very well with the exception of Lacey. We did get beat on a couple of blitzes but that's just a matter of numbers. Even the best blitzing teams are going to get beaten from time to time. The more you blitz the more you run that risk. However I do think there were also occasions where the blitz was effective.

I also think our pass defense played relatively well on 3rd downs and the plays where they did I again put more on scheme than the players themselves.

The whole point of the tampa 2 was to stop the deep pass. Yet the Colts played the tampa 2 more on 1st and 2nd downs than they did on 3rd downs. The 3 pass plays where they played tampa 2 on 3rd down led to 1 completion out of 3 attempts for 8 yards. On plays where they didn't run tampa 2 on 3rd downs, McCoy was 3 of 7 for 45 yards. This did lead to a TD but also led to a fumble. In contrast, on 1st and 2nd downs the Colts ran tampa 2 8 times and on these plays McCoy was 8 of 8 for 68 yards and an 8.5 yard per play average. Why would we want to use the tampa 2 on 2nd and 10? Sure they're preventing the 1st down on some of those first downs (they weren't all 2nd and 10) but even when they prevent a 1st down they put the Browns in 3rd and short. If you keep putting the Browns and Hillis in 3rd and short....yeah not many teams win that battle.

lol...wow talk about putting words in my mouth.

I never said it was a massive blitz...but it is a blitz none the less. You very clearly said it wasn't.

Yeah I didn't say anything anywhere close to that.

I never said our defense was great. I said they played very well and the problems that remain can in large part be fixed by dropping the Tampa 2 on 1st and 2nd downs. I don't know how much more clearly I can explain it than I did in the original post. Perhaps crayons and construction paper are in order.

i am not going to internet debate you. if you can honestly in any way defend this D you are either HIGH or family to coyer so i cant win. this defense for years has not been able to get off the field

on 3rd downs. and the only crayons that are being used or needed are in the defensive and special teams play books. now give me a time out!" who the blank called that screams 18"

i am not going to internet debate you. if you can honestly in any way defend this D you are either HIGH or family to coyer so i cant win. this defense for years has not been able to get off the field

on 3rd downs. and the only crayons that are being used or needed are in the defensive and special teams play books. now give me a time out!" who the blank called that screams 18"

That's because you can't internet debate me. You've consistently put words in my mouth making it sound like I made claims that I simply did not. You've incorrectly stated the colts didn't blitz today and they did on numerous occasions. You've also offered nothing other than (clearly biased) opinion but with nothing of substance to back it. I gave you a full break down of every play where we were on defense. If you, or anyone for that matter, can find fault with my original post then by all means let's discuss it. That's the whole reason I posted it here....to see if others are seeing the same things and if not then what did I miss. You have offered nothing to back your opinion.

I never said our defense was fixed and I certainly didn't say it was great. What I am trying to say is that the biggest problems we do have are correctable. If the current defensive coaches continue running the tampa 2 the way they did today then I hope they're fired before mid season. In so far as I am concerned, I'll still give them another game or 2 to make the adjustments in this regard before calling for anyone's head on a platter.

That's because you can't internet debate me. You've consistently put words in my mouth making it sound like I made claims that I simply did not. You've incorrectly stated the colts didn't blitz today and they did on numerous occasions. You've also offered nothing other than (clearly biased) opinion but with nothing of substance to back it. I gave you a full break down of every play where we were on defense. If you, or anyone for that matter, can find fault with my original post then by all means let's discuss it. That's the whole reason I posted it here....to see if others are seeing the same things and if not then what did I miss. You have offered nothing to back your opinion.

I never said our defense was fixed and I certainly didn't say it was great. What I am trying to say is that the biggest problems we do have are correctable. If the current defensive coaches continue running the tampa 2 the way they did today then I hope they're fired before mid season. In so far as I am concerned, I'll still give them another game or 2 to make the adjustments in this regard before calling for anyone's head on a platter.

ok i will agree to that check back in two weeks.p.s. i know now your true identity your jim caldwell i.e. the old 5 year old correctable mistake line. so the next game i am at when it is 3 and 5 i wont see for the 125th time

our corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage with safties 4 yards behind them.

ok i will agree to that check back in two weeks.p.s. i know now your true identity your jim caldwell i.e. the old 5 year old correctable mistake line. so the next game i am at when it is 3 and 5 i wont see for the 125th time

our corners 10 yards off the line of scrimmage with safties 4 yards behind them.

Now that (sarcasm aside :P ) I cannot argue with. I also think this could be the thing that winds up getting Caldwell fired. I know he's an offensive coach so he may not be very hands on with the defense. So at the very least he needs to monitor this very closely and if the same things keep happening then he needs to pull the trigger and fire coyer and any other defensive coaches that need to go. And the Polians need to monitor closely as well and if Caldwell isn't able to pull the trigger should the need arise then they need to do it and fire him as well.

watching the falcons game, they have a corner named hayden, who is pretty good!

How old are you, seriously?

he wanted more money and we dont manage our cap very well but lacy does well at taking down the receiver after he catches the ball for a gain. hayden didnt fit in our "let them catch then tackle" system he kept batting the ball down and making interceptions

Funny all I heard people say about him the past couple of years is that he was over payed and not living up to his contract and that we should cut him because of that. We do it and now fans are saying we made a mistake. Once again our front office does what fans are calling for them to do and then once they do it they blast the front office for making a mistake or stinking, what does that say about our would be GMs?

The Colts didn't way to cut Hayden. They tried to get him to take less money first. He said no. So the Colts released him.

Funny all I heard people say about him the past couple of years is that he was over payed and not living up to his contract and that we should cut him because of that. We do it and now fans are saying we made a mistake. Once again our front office does what fans are calling for them to do and then once they do it they blast the front office for making a mistake or stinking, what does that say about our would be GMs?

The Colts didn't way to cut Hayden. They tried to get him to take less money first. He said no. So the Colts released him.

now wait, that's just silly...that'd be like saying there were fans who were calling for a veteran qb be brought in and then when we do bring him in they wait one game and decide it was all a mistake. Oh wait...

lol

now wait, that's just silly...that'd be like saying there were fans who were calling for a veteran qb be brought in and then when we do bring him in they wait one game and decide it was all a mistake. Oh wait...

lol

or the same fans who were thrilled when Hughes fell to us in the draft and hated the Angerer pick and called it a reach, now you can't find any of those fans or the same fans who were calling for Addai to be released once we drafted Brown and how Brown was going to save our running game from Addai's horriable running. Or the same fans who would listen to anyone who said during the 08 season we couldn't run the ball because of the line and were saying the issue was clearly that Addai just wasn't good. Or my personal favorite the same fans who used to scream we need to trade Peyton Manning for a defense before he won a Super Bowl.

Let's face it if the fans were the GM of this team we would have demanded we should have been fired a long long long time ago but we would still have Edge!

And rightly so. He was/is not a $43M/3-yr corner, plain and simple. That's almost as much as Nnamdi was making in Oakland ($45M/3-yr). There is nothing "shutdown" about Kelvin Hayden.

i dont think a high school team would hire caldwell christensen , and coyer

I still dont know why we even hired Coyer. If anything it looks our D has got worse! Besides the colts who in the heck would Lacey and our right tackle be starting for?? Its almost comical watching our team this year. Im not sure where to lay the blame. Lacey cant man up against my three yr old. Then i see we put in Jerry Hughes on our goal line D???? wth?? Can we please go after John Gruden please. Which ever Polian is making the decisions, like keeping Jamie Richard and letting Kyle Devan go. GOOD JOB! Has our DT's got any kind of pressure this year? I bet ya Freeney and Mathis would love someone to give them a lil help up the middle. I just wish our front office would make some of the decisions like the Pats make. They atleast recognize their weaknesses and decide to go after them. Indy's stubborn * just seems to stick with the same scenario year after year. If they just went after one bad * defensive tackle, do you realize how much better freeney and mathis would be?? GOOD WORK TEAM!! sorry for the rant....disgruntled fan here!

The Polians will end up scape-goating Caldwell, Coyer, and Christenson at the end of the year. They will all be gone. Although, scapegoating might be a bit of an overstatement considering that they are all bad, and should have never been put into their positions to start with.

So do you think it's time for all the Polians to be shown the door, too? Might not be beyond reason.

And rightly so. He was/is not a $43M/3-yr corner, plain and simple. That's almost as much as Nnamdi was making in Oakland ($45M/3-yr). There is nothing "shutdown" about Kelvin Hayden.

and I didn't say those people were wrong. I was more getting at the fan who was saying "oh look Hayden's doing well" and implying we shouldn't have let him go even though a the time people thought it was the riht move just like when we resigned almost everyone was saying "you have to resign Hayden." People love to tell the front office all the time what they should do and when do do what the fans want and it doesn't work out they still turn around rip them for it.