Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geno Smith Rumor

dw49

From Roto New.....

SPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 Wednesday that the Raiders have interest in West Virginia QB Geno Smith with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

"Word around the NFL is the Raiders have interest in Geno Smith with that third overall pick in the draft," said Mort. "Now I can't get this confirmed by the team, but Geno Smith is a guy that everybody sees as a top-10 pick right now -- not everybody -- but he's got a chance to go in the top ten. And if the Raiders do like him, you better take him at No. 3." Mortensen indicated that Oakland would likely release Carson Palmer if Smith were drafted.

Al dies, same old raiders. It has to be tough being a raider fan

Other mocks have Smith going as high as five or six, so it's not that far out of whack. Because he's the best quarterback in this year's draft, he's going to go near the top of the first round. I just don't think he should.

Other mocks have Smith going as high as five or six, so it's not that far out of whack. Because he's the best quarterback in this year's draft, he's going to go near the top of the first round. I just don't think he should.

I don't buy it.. No way he should go that high. I hope he does though

I still think Arians goes with Matt Barkley if he is the best QB available then. As much as USC QBs might get flak, none of them had Arians for QB coach, did they? Not Carson, Not Leinart, Not Cassel, Not Sanchez.

Besides, Arians' offense is complex enough that the QB needs to be a little cerebal enough to handle it and Arians possibly gets to go from one California QB to another. Though Barkley may not be in the same zip code as Luck, I think he is cerebral enough to handle Arians. Barkley reminds me more of a Ralph Lauren model than a QB but I will give him the benefit of doubt and wont hold it against him. :)

However, if Geno Smith is there at No.7 for the Cardinals, I do think the Cardinals go with him.

I still think Arians goes with Matt Barkley if he is the best QB available then. As much as USC QBs might get flak, none of them had Arians for QB coach, did they? Not Carson, Not Leinart, Not Cassel, Not Sanchez.

Besides, Arians' offense is complex enough that the QB needs to be a little cerebal enough to handle it and Arians possibly gets to go from one California QB to another. Though Barkley may not be in the same zip code as Luck, I think he is cerebral enough to handle Arians. Barkley reminds me more of a Ralph Lauren model than a QB but I will give him the benefit of doubt and wont hold it against him. :)

However, if Geno Smith is there at No.7 for the Cardinals, I do think the Cardinals go with him.

That's all SoCal QBs haha

From Roto New.....

SPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 Wednesday that the Raiders have interest in West Virginia QB Geno Smith with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

"Word around the NFL is the Raiders have interest in Geno Smith with that third overall pick in the draft," said Mort. "Now I can't get this confirmed by the team, but Geno Smith is a guy that everybody sees as a top-10 pick right now -- not everybody -- but he's got a chance to go in the top ten. And if the Raiders do like him, you better take him at No. 3." Mortensen indicated that Oakland would likely release Carson Palmer if Smith were drafted.

Stupid is as stupid does.....

That organization is lost.....

Teams in the NFL do not win without a QB today.    I get that .,.  But Palmer is a good QB, the Raider O was just hammered with injuries last season.    They have too many needs to "reach" on a QB....    when they already have one.

Not smart.

The Raiders should install a WCO, go get Matt Flynn from the Seahawks for a third rounder, and trade out of #3. I don't think Geno Smith is the answer. Too raw.

Although if the Raiders are comfortable with Palmer for another season or two it might make sense to take the chance on a raw prospect.

With Pryor as a work in progress behind Palmer, this wouldn't be a smart move. 

I don't buy it.. No way he should go that high. I hope he does though

I was listening to McShay and Kiper talking on a podcast wrapping up the combine and they expect 2-3 to go in the first round. If that holds to be true it wouldn't be far fetched to see one taken that high. Someone is always going to reach.

Although if the Raiders are comfortable with Palmer for another season or two it might make sense to take the chance on a raw prospect.

Not with the third pick in the draft, not with so many other players who can start right away sitting there. That makes even less sense than getting rid of Palmer for Geno Smith.

A thought out and reasonable post. Nevertheless, I don't think Arians goes QB in the first round, unless it is Mike Glennon.  Even then, I believe he hopes Glennon falls to the second round where he'll take a QB. (if they make it there).  He still has Kolb, and Glennon is a better fit for Arians system than Smith or Barkley, IMO. I have always felt this way, and just ran across these articles which seems to concur.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/21/will-the-arizona-cardinals-target-mike-glennon-in-the-2013-nfl-draft/

http://sportige.com/nfl-rumors-arizona-cardinals-considering-picking-mike-glennon-02-2013/

http://arizonasports.com/40/1609350/Bidwill-Kolbs-contract-to-be-addressed

That's what makes the draft exciting, we just don't know, until after it unfolds. :) Taking a QB in round 1 is reaching for any team, IMO. 

As far as the Raiders, Palmer certainly won't be around forever but taking Smith in the first is a little off the wall.