Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is your guys' take on these boom/bust prospects?

Every year there is a large number of players who are drafted probably earlier than they should be, and this year's no different. Either teams fall in love with their combine performances, or look at their intangibles and imagine how high of an upside they have, which in their minds makes up for their lack of play on the field. Personally, my belief is (probably the same as most everyone else's) I'd rather take a proven true football player rather than this guy who's so fast and quick and has an incredibly high ceiling. My question to you guys is, how much do you trust or would want this year's group of boom/bust prospects? Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Ezekiel Ansah, Johnathan Hankins, Manti Te'o, Alex Okafor, Sam Montgomery, Kawaan Short. Feel free to add any more names to the list who you think might be boom/bust prospects.

Ansah is the only one I see as boom or bust

Yeah maybe I went a little overboard with guys like Hunt who did produce and Jordan but for where Smith is being talked about as potentially going he has bust written all over him from the 2nd year on (I expect he will flash his rookie year do to his athleticism and running potential). as for Fluker, he has slow feet, that creeps me out at Tackle regardless if RT or LT, As for Porter in my opinion it depends on where he goes(I do like him in the Mathis/Hughes role), he may get a bit of a raw deal and get stuck behind some star like Hughes did behind Freeney or he may get drafted to be a pure pass rusher in a 3-4 scheme (Like ours) and I dont see him exceling in that role, Now if we draft him and he is put in the Mathis role then I think he will do well (if we were to draft him) otherwise he is a 4-3 OLB. Ansah..... Not much really needs to be said here I dont think, Raw player who many think will be a 1st round pick who clearly hasn't shown worthy of it. I dont care what his measurables say he has a serious lack of production

Big time players make big time plays....   regardless of how good they look or how fast they are in under wear.

Game tape does not lie....   But too many scouts fall in love with workouts.

One player today that I think REALLY helped himself was LaVeon Bell...   he ran better than expected and he has big time production on his side.     Man he would look good in a Colt uni......       

Every year there is a large number of players who are drafted probably earlier than they should be, and this year's no different. Either teams fall in love with their combine performances, or look at their intangibles and imagine how high of an upside they have, which in their minds makes up for their lack of play on the field. Personally, my belief is (probably the same as most everyone else's) I'd rather take a proven true football player rather than this guy who's so fast and quick and has an incredibly high ceiling. My question to you guys is, how much do you trust or would want this year's group of boom/bust prospects? Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Ezekiel Ansah, Johnathan Hankins, Manti Te'o, Alex Okafor, Sam Montgomery, Kawaan Short. Feel free to add any more names to the list who you think might be boom/bust prospects.

I think trading into the bottom of the 2nd to grab a guy like Short would be great if nothing is there at 24, but I don't think I'm as down on Ansah as some people are, I mean the label boom/bust doesn't mean 100% that the guy is gonna be a bust. The other half of the label is a giant BOOM.

I think trading into the bottom of the 2nd to grab a guy like Short would be great if nothing is there at 24, but I don't think I'm as down on Ansah as some people are, I mean the label boom/bust doesn't mean 100% that the guy is gonna be a bust. The other half of the label is a giant BOOM.

Bottom of the 2nd? Short may very well go in the first

Dion Jordan=Bust

Barkevious Mingo=boom

Ezekiel Ansah=boom

Johnathan Hankins=boom

Manti Te'o=Incomplete, he wont be close to Kuechley

Alex Okafor=boom

Sam Montgomery=boom

Kawaan Short=neither.

Sean Porter? i never heard a projected 3rd pick/player being a bust. third round players dont have that kind of hype to be classified as a bust.

Dion Jordan=Bust

Barkevious Mingo=boom

Ezekiel Ansah=boom

Johnathan Hankins=boom

Alex Okafor=boom

Sam Montgomery=boom

Kawaan Short=neither.

Sean Porter? i never heard a projected 3rd pick/player being a bust. third round players dont have that kind of hype to be classified as a bust.

Why do you think Mingo is a boom and Jordan is a bust?

Ansah - I'd take him in a heartbeat.  I'm sure after his Sr. Bowl that he will be a player that will make plays in the NFL.

Montgomery - Don't want him.  Bad attitude, poor work ethic.

Mingo - I'd take him.  The potential is there, and he's worth the risk.  His PR ability is what we need without Freeney.

Jordan - Don't want him.  He screams Jerry Hughes-like disappointment to me.

Okafor - I think I'd take him.  He's a very good football player.  I'm not sure he has the upside of the others on the list, but I think he'll contribute positively and have a successful NFL career.

Hankins/T'eo/Short -  I wouldn't consider their positions in Round 1...

Dion Jordan=Bust

Barkevious Mingo=boom

Ezekiel Ansah=boom

Johnathan Hankins=boom

Alex Okafor=boom

Sam Montgomery=boom

Kawaan Short=neither.

What makes ya think Ansah is a boom, for where he is rumored to go (somewhere high in the 1st round who has had 4 sacks in his career who is raw he he bust written all over him

What makes ya think Ansah is a boom, for where he is rumored to go (somewhere high in the 1st round who has had 4 sacks in his career who is raw he he bust written all over him

13 tackles for loss also, his awareness is great can sniff out screens and draws in an instant, an uses his hands well, and gets into passing lanes knocking down 9 passes this year. It only gets better from here wherever he goes and gets the right coaching.

I'd say my busts are Hankins and T'eo.

I'd also like to see anyone give an actual reason why they think Jordan will be a bust.

I wouldn't mind trading down into the early 2nd to get Jordan, I think he has potential to be elite but also has potential to bust, I wouldn't draft him in the first (which is where I think he will go late) but I would trading down or Brandon Jenkins in the 2nd trading down 

My biggest issue with Jordan is that he is a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to rushing the passer. he is heavily reliant on his speed and burst, and tries to run around the tackle on just about every play, and essentially just runs himself out of the play too often. he is a Dwight freeney with way less pass rush moves, Gavin complain about Ansah only having 4.5 sacks, Jordan only had 5 sacks. Ansah does more against the passing game, and gets in the passing lanes with his 9 pass defensed to Jordan's 1, and Ansah holds up better in the run game.

Why is Okafor ahead of the other two? or heck why is he on the list period

Okafor's not a classic bust candidate. He's not an athletic freak who just recently started playing football, he's a football player who has underachieved a little, and I think a lot of people classify him as a 1st rounder because he plays on a hardcore team with good players and coaches. And plus, out of his 12.5 sacks, 4.5 came from his last game. Not fully convinced yet that he's a sure fire solid 1st round pick to build around.

Okafor's not a classic bust candidate. He's not an athletic freak who just recently started playing football, he's a football player who has underachieved a little, and I think a lot of people classify him as a 1st rounder because he plays on a hardcore team with good players and coaches. And plus, out of his 12.5 sacks, 4.5 came from his last game. Not fully convinced yet that he's a sure fire solid 1st round pick to build around.

Okafor had 8 other sacks that year even if you discredit the 4 he had. plus 7 the year before, He had 52 tackles this year and 51 the year before, I dont see how 12.5 sacks (24 for his career) in 44 career games is underachieving 

I wouldn't mind trading down into the early 2nd to get Jordan, I think he has potential to be elite but also has potential to bust, I wouldn't draft him in the first (which is where I think he will go late) but I would trading down or Brandon Jenkins in the 2nd trading down

I swear your just trolling here. He won't get past the tenth pick.

My biggest issue with Jordan is that he is a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to rushing the passer. he is heavily reliant on his speed and burst, and tries to run around the tackle on just about every play, and essentially just runs himself out of the play too often. he is a Dwight freeney with way less pass rush moves, Gavin complain about Ansah only having 4.5 sacks, Jordan only had 5 sacks. Ansah does more against the passing game, and gets in the passing lanes with his 9 pass defensed to Jordan's 1, and Ansah holds up better in the run game.

He definitely needs to learn some more moves but that is where coaching comes in. But he had 5 sacks in 7 games - while only playing half in three due to blowouts - before he injured his shoulder. And I wouldn't worry too much about Gavin, it's obvious he just looks at a stat sheet and forms his opinion.

I swear your just trolling here. He won't get past the tenth pick.

He definitely needs to learn some more moves but that is where coaching comes in. But he had 5 sacks in 7 games - while only playing half in three due to blowouts - before he injured his shoulder. And I wouldn't worry too much about Gavin, it's obvious he just looks at a stat sheet and forms his opinion.

top 10 eh, Ill hold you to that

top 10 eh, Ill hold you to that

That's where most mocks have him, he's Mayock's #1 OLB and they were drooling over him after every drill of the combine. Show me one person saying he'll last past 20. You're either trolling or have no clue.

That's where most mocks have him, he's Mayock's #1 OLB and they were drooling over him after every drill of the combine. Show me one person saying he'll last past 20. You're either trolling or have no clue.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:dl

Good enough? He has a late 1st round grade, now if that changes post combine Ill believe he goes top 10 depending on his new grade

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:dl

Good enough? He has a late 1st round grade, now if that changes post combine Ill believe he goes top 10 depending on his new grade

That says he's a first rd. grade, not late first. And every single mock on NFL.com has him in the top half of the first. Nobody left him out. So no, I don't think that link is good enough.

Why is Okafor ahead of the other two? or heck why is he on the list period

I just don't think he's very good and certainly not as good as many think he is. I've posted before that I have read very unflattering things about his play. Mayock said he's slow out of his stance and will have poor coverage ability. He has trouble shedding blocks and zero pass rush moves. So my question is....what good is he if he is a slow pass rusher with no moves and no ability to cover? Don't translate well to the 4-3 or the 3-4. sounds like a career backup if you ask me.