Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OT Jermon Bushrod

he is a better Run blocker than Pass blocker IMO. if he were to play RT to us i woudlnt oppose to him, but im not as high on him as other fans here :)

I think a better run blocker is exactly what we need, especially if he would play RT for us.

i remembering hearing that costanzo was struggling at lt this year or did he start getting better and if not could we just put costanzo at rt and Bushrod at lt? i mean i could see us def not doing it that way but it would be an idea

I hate the idea of moving Castanzo to RT. Some will say that we should but IMO that will just set him back in his progression. The only way I would say it was a good idea is if we could get Ryan Clady and that's not happening so we need not even think about that.

ok i agree for the most just hoping grigson can fix at least 2 spots on are oline dont want luck to get abused again

I expect 2 FA O-lineman signings and am hoping for 3. 2 guards any combination of Vasquez, Kevin Boothe, Geoff Schwartz or Chad Rhinehart would work for me. 1 RT, I would take any of these guys - Bushrod, Loadholt, Vollmer, or Andre Smith.

id agree with any of those rt's cept vollmer though very good seems to get hurt alot

Yeah Vollmer's injury history could scare off some teams, including us, but he is a good RT and if they think his injury issue's are worth the risk, I would be willing to trust their judgment. 

Castanzo was 1/2 sack away from leading the league in sacks allowed with 11. Long gave up 7.

Bushrod gave up 4.5.

You can bet Castonzo gave up a lot more pressures and hits. ANYONE that thinks most any tackle wouldn`t be equal too or an Improvement over Castonzo at LT might be a HOMER. JMO

Gee, Bushrod has been in the League 7 years. Nice Thread.

He has played in 16 games 3 years in a row. A plus.

A top 8-15 LT.

These guys chose Satelle (who stank again)over Shipley for our playoff loss.

I suspect they will go with Castonzo at LT next year.

Moving Castonzo will be a huge setback to both his progression and mindset. He'd be Ugoh 2.0. He missed a lot of time last year meaning all of his progression from then was pretty much gone making this essentially his rookie year. Give the guy a shot. I was going to add something a little more insightful but an emergency ran it from my thought process completely so when it comes back I shall return haha.

I expect 2 FA O-lineman signings and am hoping for 3. 2 guards any combination of Vasquez, Kevin Boothe, Geoff Schwartz or Chad Rhinehart would work for me. 1 RT, I would take any of these guys - Bushrod, Loadholt, Vollmer, or Andre Smith.

I like your selections. I don't think Cincy will let Smith go. They're notoriously cheap but they have a lot of cap and will be forced to use their share. There's even talk about franchising him. Loadholt seems to be a priority for the Vikings.

Free agency is going to be very interesting, but I get the feeling a lot of people here are going to be disappointed when we don't get the big name guys.

Remember, some portion of AC's 11 sacks is on the system (Arians) and on the QB (Luck) who is holding on to the ball longer trying to make a play downfield.   And honestly,  I don't know how much that portion is,  but it can't  ALL be on Castonzo.  

You can only ask a lineman to keep the QB clean for so long.    At some point things are out of his control. 

Hopefully, a new offense with far more shorter pass routes stressing getting the ball out quicker will lower the number of sacks the line gives up.   Hopefully by a considerable amount.

I like your selections. I don't think Cincy will let Smith go. They're notoriously cheap but they have a lot of cap and will be forced to use their share. There's even talk about franchising him. Loadholt seems to be a priority for the Vikings.

Free agency is going to be very interesting, but I get the feeling a lot of people here are going to be disappointed when we don't get the big name guys.

Yeah, I agree. Most of those guys will probably be retained by their current teams but there is a small chance that any of them may choose to move elsewhere. I would be happy with whoever Grigson gets in here because if he choose's to bring them aboard it means he obviously thinks they are upgrades. There very well could be some guys available many of us don't know a lot about but Grigson has them pegged for us.

he's better than what we have at RT

nobody dares to question such statement lol

but i mean if we are going to use that money on RT i preffer on someone else...i woudlnt be mad if we sign him he is good but im not a fan. Loadholt (i know its hard to see him walk), Will Beaty, Cherilus,  would be better options IMO.

nobody dares to question such statement lol

but i mean if we are going to use that money on RT i preffer on someone else...i woudlnt be mad if we sign him he is good but im not a fan. Loadholt (i know its hard to see him walk), Will Beaty, Cherilus,  would be better options IMO.

I would have to disagree with ya here. As far as free agent tackles go this yr., after Clady I think Bushrod is the 2nd best of them all. I like Loadholt and Beatty(not so much Cherilus), but I would take Bushrod over any of them if he would play RT.

I would have to disagree with ya here. As far as free agent tackles go this yr., after Clady I think Bushrod is the 2nd best of them all. I like Loadholt and Beatty(not so much Cherilus), but I would take Bushrod over any of them if he would play RT.

If I heard it right, I believe they said the 49ers OLine played together the entire season. No one missed a start.

I think we had ten different starters and guys playing different positions. Grigs said play was hampered by inconsistent starting lineups.

I take that as meaning he wants guys who will play, not guys who are constantly injured, no matter how good they are. IMO, that's going to be a priority for incoming FAs. So we may not get the highest profile player, but I bet we'll get guys that are known to play more games than they miss.

If I heard it right, I believe they said the 49ers OLine played together the entire season. No one missed a start.

I think we had ten different starters and guys playing different positions. Grigs said play was hampered by inconsistent starting lineups.

I take that as meaning he wants guys who will play, not guys who are constantly injured, no matter how good they are. IMO, that's going to be a priority for incoming FAs. So we may not get the highest profile player, but I bet we'll get guys that are known to play more games than they miss.

I would be fine with that. We definitely need upgrades but if we could ever get all 5 guys to start every game, they may just develop a chemistry together.

Remember, some portion of AC's 11 sacks is on the system (Arians) and on the QB (Luck) who is holding on to the ball longer trying to make a play downfield.   And honestly,  I don't know how much that portion is,  but it can't  ALL be on Castonzo.  

You can only ask a lineman to keep the QB clean for so long.    At some point things are out of his control. 

Hopefully, a new offense with far more shorter pass routes stressing getting the ball out quicker will lower the number of sacks the line gives up.   Hopefully by a considerable amount.

I like castonzo , but i watched quite a bit off the coaches film on nfl.com and castonzo was plain whooped on many occasions. And Luck's mobility helped lower the sack count much more than his holding onto the ball did. I understand that Arians play calling isn't friendly to guys protecting the QB, but castonzo has some work to do IMO.

I like castonzo , but i watched quite a bit off the coaches film on nfl.com and castonzo was plain whooped on many occasions. And Luck's mobility helped lower the sack count much more than his holding onto the ball did. I understand that Arians play calling isn't friendly to guys protecting the QB, but castonzo has some work to do IMO.

I've asked the Q before, but have yet to see any kind of answer... Is it not possible the whole line was so undermanned and overmatched that it made Castanzo appear to play worse than he did? The other 4 could best be described as a fraying and disintegrating patchwork quilt. I suspect it has more to do with AC getting overloaded than with him not doing his job well.

I've asked the Q before, but have yet to see any kind of answer... Is it not possible the whole line was so undermanned and overmatched that it made Castanzo appear to play worse than he did? The other 4 could best be described as a fraying and disintegrating patchwork quilt. I suspect it has more to do with AC getting overloaded than with him not doing his job well.

At times. He and whomever was healthy enough to play guard def had trouble with stunts and not sure whose to blame in those situations. Often though, he was just getting whipped one on one by the edge rusher.

Now I know Jeff Saturday isn't an oline coach but during the draft he mentioned (as have many on here) that Costanzo is better suited as a RT. He mentioned that his footwork and lateral quickness just isn't cut out for LT. I think we need to upgrade at LT. That would mean we could move Costanzo over to RT where his skill set is more suited...that would be a big upgrade at RT. Thus we then could focus on the middle of the line at guard and center. A franchise LT will cost us...but lets be honest...Costanzo while servicable is not that lock down guy over there....he could be a pro bowl RT however. Suddenly one upgrade at LT is 2 upgrades on the OL. To me it would make the whole OL better..just like when the Ravens got Mckinney moved into LT and moved Oher to RT. I know they got some help at the guard spot too but just sliding people into their right fit really makes a big difference. 

I'm not knocking Costanzo at all...he is our best lineman...but that doesn't mean he is a great LT.

At times. He and whomever was healthy enough to play guard def had trouble with stunts and not sure whose to blame in those situations. Often though, he was just getting whipped one on one by the edge rusher.

I didn't study tape, but I saw AC get beat to the outside most often. So what if that was because he had to shade in to help the guard? Maybe even on coach's instruction?

If we could sign a top-quality LT and move Castonzo to the right side, and know -- I mean know -- that we could still keep him and he wouldn't jump ship in 2-3 years,  then I'd be fine doing it.    I ***love*** Castonzo as a run blocker.   He might be one of the best I've seen.   Think he's tremendous.   I don't want to lose that skill.

I trust Grigson on this.    If he signs a LT and moves AC,  then I trust him.    If he signs or drafts someone to play RT, then I trust him that it's the right thing as well.    With his background as an OL, if he doesn't know a good lineman and how to build a good OL,  then no one does....

If we could sign a top-quality LT and move Castonzo to the right side, and know -- I mean know -- that we could still keep him and he wouldn't jump ship in 2-3 years,  then I'd be fine doing it.    I ***love*** Castonzo as a run blocker.   He might be one of the best I've seen.   Think he's tremendous.   I don't want to lose that skill.

I trust Grigson on this.    If he signs a LT and moves AC,  then I trust him.    If he signs or drafts someone to play RT, then I trust him that it's the right thing as well.    With his background as an OL, if he doesn't know a good lineman and how to build a good OL,  then no one does....

Yeah, I'm not saying they should move him to RT...I'm not qualified to say how his progressing.

thats fine we dont have to agree in everything :)

just not as high on him, i think Brees helps him and sean payton with a back or TE...but in any case he is better than Justice so i wouldnt oppose to having him at all. $$ will be the issue i guess

I think this is exactly what the problem was. AC can be a very good LT, people don't seem to want to understand that AC came to us in a lockout yr. where he automatically started off behind the 8 ball. Then he was injured during his rookie yr. and missed quite a few games. this last season was basically an extension of his rookie season. It normally takes an NFL lineman till his 3rd yr. till he's comfortable. Fans have been throwing this kid under the bus since he arrived here. Like I have said before, If Grigson and Pagano think its a good idea to move him to RT and bring in a stud LT then I'm fine with that, but I honestly do not believe that will happen and people probably ought to get used to seeing Castanzo block Andrew's blind side.

PFF has Bushrod rated as the 44th tackle overall, and Castonzo rated as the 32nd ...

- Bushrod #44 - Overall Ranking: 1.5 ... pass blocking: -3.5 ... screen blocking: 0.5 ... run blocking: 2.0

- QB Sacks: 4 ... QB Hits: 8 ... QB Hurries: 46 ... snaps played: 1130

- Castonzo #32 - Overall Ranking: 7.3 ... pass blocking: -5.8 ... screen blocking: 2.5 ... run blocking: 7.0

- QB Sacks: 9 ... QB Hits: 11 ... QB Hurries: 35 ... snaps played 1189

For Comparison sake:

- Staley #1 - Overall Ranking: 40.4 ... pass blocking: 12.7 ... screen blocking: 1.0 ... run blocking: 25.0

- QB Sacks: 8 ... QB Hits: 1 ... QB Hurries: 16 ... snaps played 986

- Clady #4 - Overall Ranking: 26.9 ... pass blocking: 23.0 ... screen blocking: 1.0 ... run blocking: 2.2

- QB Sacks: 1 ... QB Hits: 7 ... QB Hurries: 15 ... snaps played 1141

- Cherilus (RT) #8 - Overall Ranking: 23.4 ... pass blocking: 21.0 ... screen blocking: 1.5 ... run blocking: 1.6

- QB Sacks: 4 ... QB Hits: 7 ... QB Hurries: 27 ... snaps played 1229

Not saying that PFF is the ultimate authority, but based on their rating Bushrod is not an upgrade to AC.