Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck needs a better OLine?

BleedingBlue

I've heard this case made (again and again....like beating a dead horse) so I thought I'd make my observations from last night when he had an ALL STAR Oline protecting him.

He did perform much better in terms of completion percentage and I think that is the 2nd most important thing he needs to work on.

He made some gorgeous throws with time, theres no doubt.

But he still made some bad decisions...and I'm not counting the pick in the End zone intended for JJ Watt because I feel that was a goof play and he was gonna throw it regardless of coverage.

There was a throw on a self made bootleg right that went right into traffic (something he does far too much) and there was a fumbled snap.

Morale of the story...  great Oline doesn't make you make better decisions.

Hopefully time will fix that.

But given more time, he definitely had a better completion percentage and he even threw a couple of deep  ones.

New Center, I don't count thr fumbled snap. A QB has to have chemistry with a C. And he's a Rookie. I agreed with collinsworth I think it was him who talked about the Pre-season game against the Steelers when he threw that pick 6 & came back with that Great drive. He always capitalizes on his mistakes. Of course you want him to lower his mistakes, but reps will fix that. His future is definitely Bright.

But we all know we'll be getting an oline soon. Our GM is an Ex-Olineman so if we don't get a line, something's not right with that Picture haha . Just put it in Grigson's hands, he'll come through for us

I've heard this case made (again and again....like beating a dead horse) so I thought I'd make my observations from last night when he had an ALL STAR Oline protecting him.

He did perform much better in terms of completion percentage and I think that is the 2nd most important thing he needs to work on.

But he still made some bad decisions...and I'm not counting the pick in the End zone intended for JJ Watt because I feel that was a goof play and he was gonna throw it regardless of coverage.

There was a throw on a self made bootleg right that went right into traffic (something he does far too much) and there was a fumbled snap.

But given more time, he definitely had a better completion percentage and he even threw a couple of deep  ones.

Don't you think that just maybe he was told to try to get Watt that TD ? Do you think if this were a "real" game that Andrew Luck just might have decided to go somewhere else with that pass. They obviousley spent a lot of time in practice on that nonsense and must be it was a "high priority" to get Watt a TD. Just my opinion 

Don't you think that just maybe he was told to try to get Watt that TD ? Do you think if this were a "real" game that Andrew Luck just might have decided to go somewhere else with that pass. They obviousley spent a lot of time in practice on that nonsense and must be it was a "high priority" to get Watt a TD. Just my opinion 

Must be commanded by Manning :D

New Center, I don't count thr fumbled snap. A QB has to have chemistry with a C. And he's a Rookie. I agreed with collinsworth I think it was him who talked about the Pre-season game against the Steelers when he threw that pick 6 & came back with that Great drive. He always capitalizes on his mistakes. Of course you want him to lower his mistakes, but reps will fix that. His future is definitely Bright.

But we all know we'll be getting an oline soon. Our GM is an Ex-Olineman so if we don't get a line, something's not right with that Picture haha . Just put it in Grigson's hands, he'll come through for us

That last little paragraph is why you are one of my favorite posters on this board. IN GRIGS WE TRUST!!

yea it was a goof play called by manning...i mentioned that. not sure if you're being sarcastic or what sorry if im misunderstanding

Looking at Luck's conmpletion % in college, he started with a 56.3% as a freshman but finished two seasons higher than 70%. I would not doubt the guy's decision-making and he is definitely intellegent. Also he can definitely improve after being more familar with his team and studying film.

For the low % in his rookie yr with Indy, I see this as a problem of offensive scheme. The OL is terrible and other positions a lacking talent. The only strength of the team, other than Luck, is a receiving corp with an experenced posession WR in Wayne and a couple of speedy young guys. Therefore they had to use the strength to an extreme by calling more deep passes which automatically reduced his completion %.

although a better line would help him, the defense in the pro bowl was not throwing blitz packages at him. but i also believe alot of people are not giving our OLine enough credit. this was the first year they played together and having to do it with a rookie QB. next year could be better. granted we do need a RT, but i dont really think our OLine was that bad.

Ding!  Ding!!   Ding!!!!    Our friend Buck Showalter has hit the nail on the head.

Please, please, please don't read anything -- good or bad -- into the Pro Bowl.    No sports all-star game is more meaningless.

Whatever Luck did or didn't means absolutely nothing.   If it's possible to mean less than nothing,  then that's what it means.

Seriously.    Pay no attention to the Pro Bowl as to what it means for any football player and their future in the regular season.

I know the OP meant well...   and I don't mean to be dumping on them...   but this issue should really be a non-starter for everyone.

Just sayin....

yea it was a goof play called by manning...i mentioned that. not sure if you're being sarcastic or what sorry if im misunderstanding

In no means was I trying to be sarcastic. I just read your post again and see that you DIDN'T include that throw as a bad desicion. So my bad. 

Ding!  Ding!!   Ding!!!!    Our friend Buck Showalter has hit the nail on the head.

Please, please, please don't read anything -- good or bad -- into the Pro Bowl.    No sports all-star game is more meaningless.

Whatever Luck did or didn't means absolutely nothing.   If it's possible to mean less than nothing,  then that's what it means.

Seriously.    Pay no attention to the Pro Bowl as to what it means for any football player and their future in the regular season.

I know the OP meant well...   and I don't mean to be dumping on them...   but this issue should really be a non-starter for everyone.

Just sayin....

The only thing you can take from that game if you want is the fact that Andrew Luck threw a ton of terrific passes that had velocity , accuracy and touch. Some are trying to attribute some of this to the fact that he had a bit more time to make the throws. But as you say this game is a joke and means nothing. 

Luck will be fine. It was his first season, made some mistakes but also some great plays. He will work hard the next few months on his weaknesses and I expect some major improvements + we hopefully get more talent on the Offensive Line + he will get an OC he already worked with. So can we just skip the SB and start the new season right now?

Luck will be fine. It was his first season, made some mistakes but also some great plays. He will work hard the next few months on his weaknesses and I expect some major improvements + we hopefully get more talent on the Offensive Line + he will get an OC he already worked with. So can we just skip the SB and start the new season right now?

Pretty sure fans of another 29 teams are thinking about the same

Its an allstar game which is with different receivers, players,playbook so on really not much to be taken from that game honestly. And YES Luck needs an OL upgrade BADLY if we don't want him killed he ran for his life most of the year luckily he is a great athlete!!

Luck certainly needs to learn more as a recent rookie. He'll be the very first person in the world to say that. And I'm fully confident he will - and thanks again to the Pats whiners (2 of 7 go? shame) for letting him go! :)

But please don't read too much into the fact that Luck, as the #3 AFC QB, played in garbage time in an exhibition game. His TD pass was quite pretty - that's what people need to take away from the Probowl: "this is what Luck can do with an O-line".

can't forget the ALL STAR wr's that could snatch the ball at almost any angle, still threw too high as well and kinda stiff i'de like to see him run,and make people miss something like russel or kapernik he's unique in his form though but in the current stage our o-line is a diffrent style would deffinatly help # growing process

:lol: Sorry....I can't take anything about the Pro Bowl seriously and the commissioner has the right idea by thinking of cancelling it.

Let's be honest.....the JJ Watt pass attempts were a joke and the heartwarming, but ridiculously ceremonial "last snap" from Saturday to Manning also further cement the Pro Bowl's reputation, and anyone except Kyle Rudolph's individual performance, as utterly meaningless.

And with 97 points scored.....the only real defense in that entire stadium were the U.S. military men and women who were given free tickets and "voluntold" to waste 3-4 hours of their time watching that so-called football game.

But the Pro Bowl isnt supposed to be taken serioulsy..and it is meaningless..

TV ratings show a lot of people wasted their time...

the Pro Bowl was the top rated TV show Sunday

Football is king....no doubt about it.

Sunday's Pro Bowl also out-rated the World Series last year...how crazy is that?

But for NFL fans what were the alternatives?

I got Direct TV and for the first hour of the Pro Bowl NFL Network had the Saints-Colts Super Bowl on. 

<<<gameshow buzzer!!!>>>

I wound up watching hockey all day.