Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lb Caleb Campbell, Ex-Army Standout, Signs With The Colts (According To His Twitter)

ColtsLegacy

Paul Kuharsky at ESPN just tweeted that, according to Caleb Campbell's Facebook update, he's signed with the Indianapolis Colts.

Folks might remember Campbell as the U.S. Army officer who was drafted by theDetroit Lions in 2008 only to be called back to duty by the army. Prior to the draft, the army gave Campbell a 'service option' rule that allowed him and former-West Point teammate Owen Tolson, a punter, to enter the draft. Because Campbell was unable to sign his contract with the Lions, he became a free agent in 2009. He eventually signed with the Lions on their practice squad last year, and was promoted to their active roster in November 2010. He then became a free agent after the 2010 season.

Campbell had an impressive college career at Army, and played in the East-West Shrine game that year.

It's unclear if Campbell was signed to the active roster or the Colts practice squad. The Colts reportedly cut WR Chris Brooks from the PS earlier today.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/13/2423014/caleb-campbells-facebook-page-says-he-is-joining-colts

Caleb Campbell

Detroit Lions

Born 1986/06/19 Age 25

6-2 237

Perryton, TX

the Detroit Lions in 2008 (7th round)

Chart easier to read with link

SACKS INTERCEPTIONS TACKLES

YEAR TEAM G SACKS YDSL INT YDS INTTD SOLO AST TOTAL

2010 Lions 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 4

career Total 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 4

My link

I followed him a good deal in college (I'm obsessed with military and Ivy League athletics). He was a safety at Army, typically playing in the box. He was about 17 lbs. lighter, too. He had some great athleticism to him, and was a great triangle number guy. Mediocre coverage at safety, but I imagine that could be either hidden or even boosted at linebacker. Word has it he's a really smart player. I imagine he'll play some special teams, which is something I thought he could be a stud at. On the other hand, he's 17 lbs. heavier, 3 years removed from the draft, and I'm the guy who thought his teammate Mike Viti would eventually be a beastly blocking fullback, so what do I know?

The Star says that Mike McNeil was waived off the active roster (along with Brooks and Dandre McDaniel from the practice squad).

Any ideas?

Maybe they need Campbell on the active roster due to injury but don't need to IR anyone? That would still leave an extra practice squad spot even if McNeil goes there.

Or am I counting wrong.

Not DeAndre McDaniel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I think you could be right Mac, McNeil goes to the practice squad and Campbell moves to the active roster. Because roster moves at this level do ot always have a direct correlation to their position maybe (and I'm hoping here) they are going to sign Campbell and McNeil to the PS and move Tepper to the active roster, so they have another guard there.

Read the title of the thread and you will see who he is and what position.

Ok, I didn't see the LB part, but Army standout doesn't mean anything. He was drafted in the 7th round, and seems like a bust, so nothing to go gaga about.

Ok, I didn't see the LB part, but Army standout doesn't mean anything. He was drafted in the 7th round, and seems like a bust, so nothing to go gaga about.

Probably nothing to go "gaga" about that is true. But kind of hard to say a 7th round draft pick is a bust.

But who knows maybe he will go the practice squad and they will bring up Tepper or Ogbu or Mathews.

Or maybe, like others have said, the injuries to Brackett and/or Sims is going to keep them out for a while.

Probably nothing to go "gaga" about that is true. But kind of hard to say a 7th round draft pick is a bust.

But who knows maybe he will go the practice squad and they will bring up Tepper or Ogbu or Mathews.

Or maybe, like others have said, the injuries to Brackett and/or Sims is going to keep them out for a while.

I think that 4th rounders on are considered steals of the draft if they contribute at anything other than just special teams. I would guess there are way fewer 4th rounders and beyond that are your league stars than from the 1st-4th. Bethea, a super steal, Tom Brady a super steal, Melvin Bullet just a positional player, a contributor to the starting lineup and a solid type pick. I suppose you could classify him as a steal as well.

Campbell is on the practice squad and Triplett is on the active roster, according to the Colts.com roster page. The interesting thing, to me, is that Campbell is listed as a DB. I have little doubt he's likely to just be a ST prospect, but I'm curious as to why he's listed at DB. I know he was a safety at Army, but he's nearly 240 lbs. now.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the other LB we signed too. Nate Triplett BIO

It's because people watched him in the preseason and the best thing that can happen is that Nate "I jump on the pile after the play" Triplett does not see the field as a LB.

Other names that came to mind watching him in the preseason were:

Nate "Leadfoot" Triplett

Nate "Trips over his own feet" Triplett

"Wrong way" Nate.

A bust in the 7th round? I've heard of first or 2nd round busts, but is 7th round even considered bust anymore?

Here's my philosphy. If the team has to use a draft pick on you, and you do not perform well, you are a bust. If you're a first round pick and you don't do well your a bust, and if you're a 7th round pick and you don't do well, you're a bust. The difference is, the 1st rounder is a bigger bust than the 7th rounder, but either way their still busts.

Not DeAndre McDaniel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I think you could be right Mac, McNeil goes to the practice squad and Campbell moves to the active roster. Because roster moves at this level do ot always have a direct correlation to their position maybe (and I'm hoping here) they are going to sign Campbell and McNeil to the PS and move Tepper to the active roster, so they have another guard there.

Looks like Tepper and Campbell are on the PS, but Olsen is on the active roster as a G...

Here's my philosphy. If the team has to use a draft pick on you, and you do not perform well, you are a bust. If you're a first round pick and you don't do well your a bust, and if you're a 7th round pick and you don't do well, you're a bust. The difference is, the 1st rounder is a bigger bust than the 7th rounder, but either way their still busts.

I disagree. Expectations for first round picks are much higher than those for the later rounds. First and second round picks are usually expecting to start and have a big impact within 2 years. People don't expect much from 6th or 7th round picks. I don't consider it a bust when they don't have an impact, I just consider it a steal when they do have an impact, like Bethea.

I disagree. Expectations for first round picks are much higher than those for the later rounds. First and second round picks are usually expecting to start and have a big impact within 2 years. People don't expect much from 6th or 7th round picks. I don't consider it a bust when they don't have an impact, I just consider it a steal when they do have an impact, like Bethea.

Of course you expect more out of the 1st and 2nd rounders, but by drafting someone, even in the late rounds, you want and expect to at least have some sort of impact, and/or provide depth on the team. That's why they use a pick on you. Im not saying that the 1st and 2nd rounders have the same expectations as the 7th rounders, but they have some sort of expectation for them, right?

Of course you expect more out of the 1st and 2nd rounders, but by drafting someone, even in the late rounds, you want and expect to at least have some sort of impact, and/or provide depth on the team. That's why they use a pick on you. Im not saying that the 1st and 2nd rounders have the same expectations as the 7th rounders, but they have some sort of expectation for them, right?

I think the expectation for a 7th rounder is hey, maybe this guy will make the squad. Anything more is gravy. It'd be nice if all the guys made it, but the average NFL career is only 3.3 years and 7th round picks definitely play a role in that number being so low.

It's because people watched him in the preseason and the best thing that can happen is that Nate "I jump on the pile after the play" Triplett does not see the field as a LB.

Other names that came to mind watching him in the preseason were:

Nate "Leadfoot" Triplett

Nate "Trips over his own feet" Triplett

"Wrong way" Nate.

Really? I saw something very different but to be fair I need to point out I was not able to watch the first 2 preseason games. I did however watch the Packers/Bengals games and I paid very close attention to Triplett because he caught my attention due to his size. I wanted to see if the guy could play because he has the perfect size for the type of LB I would like to see us use. I was actually impressed with what I saw, taking into consideration his youth and lack of experience (drafted in 2010). I thought he played very well against the run and did a much better job of shedding blocks than any of the other LB's. He was always right around the ball on running plays and on passing plays they used him more as a standard 4-3 lb and not a tampa 2 mlb so he wasn't dropping 5-10 yards back into deep zone coverage. I can specifically recall a couple of plays where he took a less than optimal angle towards the runner but our other lb's do that all the time, including Brackett. One of the times he took a bad angle though was more to do with a missed tackle by Sims...Triplett was heading to the point where Sims was going to come into contact to try to finish off the play, but the ball-carrier avoided Sims and therefore was able to advance so Triplett missed him.

He's not the same type of LB that we're used to so he's going to look more stiff compared to them. He is, however, more the type of LB I would like to see us use. We need guys who can shed blocks, make consistent tackles and stop the run. I'm not saying he's the answer to our defensive woes, but players like him can certainly help. IMO :)

Wouldn't it have worked to sign Tyjuan Haglar to another one year?

Doesn't look good for Sims; I had hopes for the D when they signed Sims, Anderson, and Harris...We're only using one of them now.