Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Best and Worse Attributes?

braveheartcolt

Best

1. QB / schematic intelligence

2. Big, strong and athletic for his position. Durable.

3. Accountable for his mistakes....yet he doesn't wallow in them during the game.

Worst

1. Needs to throw the ball away, take a sack or run for available yardage (and slide!) when the pass play is just not there.

2. Arc his deep passes more....let Hilton and Avery use their speed to run under them.

3. Keep a little closer eye on defensive substitutions...we could have forced up a few more "too many men" penalties this season.

I agree with this but I think he showed a lot of growth with this towards the end of the season.  Clearly still work to be done in this department but he is getting better and starting to learn a sack or throwing the ball away aren't the worst things that can happen on a play and they aren't always bad plays.  I know Peyton once said this is the hardest thing for a QB to learn. 

Well, it is still an accuracy problem but you're certainly right that it's the "good" kind of accuracy problem. He's capable of putting the ball on a spot and in tight windows but he has been generally inconsistent and a lot of that seems to stem from his lower body mechanics. It's the kind of thing that I don't even anticipate requiring much coaching to fix, honestly. As he gets more comfortable with the speed of the game and begins to play with a more relaxed demeanor in the pocket (hopefully with some better blocking) it should work itself out.

Not gonna bother with a list of my own because Gavin pretty much nailed it.

Exactly, that was my point as well. He has been inaccurate, but it's not like a Tim Tebow problem where he is just as likely to hit a deep bomb as he is to throw it into the tenth row.

And to my knowledge he was not known as inaccurate in college, so I think it's more of an adjustment problem, then accuracy at its core.

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-676-0-11430000-1358228948_thumb.jpg
  •  

thanks JoKeR !!!  Great picture :)

Best -  He's good looking !!!  

well he is  LOL

Ok ok hmmm let me think:

- Great clutch player

- Doesn't let  his mistakes get to him

- Able to throw well on the run and shrug off tacklers at the same time

Worst:

- holds on to the ball too long

- tries to force throws sometimes

- Accuracy with some throws (but I think that will improve with a better O-line)

He's still quite good looking !!!  LOL

well we all do have bad appearance days!

Question:Is anybody else concerned that luck is becoming too large(arms/upperbody)?I think it does influence accuracy a great deal(throwing motion/mechanics).It has influenced tebow/quinn a great deal.We should encourage him to back off his quinn weightlifting routine.

Best attributes:

1.Leadership/clutch gene

2.Good pocket awareness

3.Keeps plays alive wth his feet

Worst attributes:

1.Resorts to gunslinging mentality too often(but our crappy line plays a part in that)

2.Never sets feet well,thus contributing to poor mechanics

3.Locks on to primary target(once again the whole second our crappy line gives him,i can't blame him entirely)

Best:

1.  2 minute drill may be the best ever when it's all said and done

2.  Takes big time punishment in the pocket and hasn't become "ball shy" or "DE shy"

3.  Great play action form with accurate throws when he does it (not often enough)

4.  Leader in the huddle 

5.  Short term memory after interception

6.  One of the most physical (if not the most) QBs in the NFL

7.  Great hard count

8.  Physically and mentally looks like the perfect QB

Worst:

1.  Not much touch on the short pass

2.  Doesn't always zip the ball when it really needs to be

3.  Doesn't get rid of the ball when nobody is open

4.  Doesn't run the ball enough...Hey, sometimes is okay when you are that fast

5.  His normal voice needs to sound like his hard count....more inflection

6.  Admits to liking soccer

He holds on to the ball too long when he should roll out and throw it away.  Theres only a couple seconds to make a decision and with the Colts O-line he should be used to moving and throwing it away. 

Also he throws into coverage way too much. 

Hes too willing to take hits as well.  Its cool to be tough but they all add up and take a toll.  Plus it only takes one big one just ask Manning.

He also stares at his targets and tells the defense where hes throwing.

everything else he does well.  With the game on the line he was amazing this year.  If the game is close he found a way to win.

Question:Is anybody else concerned that luck is becoming too large(arms/upperbody)?I think it does influence accuracy a great deal(throwing motion/mechanics).It has influenced tebow/quinn a great deal.We should encourage him to back off his quinn weightlifting routine.

Even Quinn's not nearly THAT big of a dude that his muscular mass would notably influence his mechanics.  His mechanics are just poor to begin with.  You want Luck to be as strong as possible at whatever weight he can still run around at, IMO.

Even Quinn's not nearly THAT big of a dude that his muscular mass would notably influence his mechanics.  His mechanics are just poor to begin with.  You want Luck to be as strong as possible at whatever weight he can still run around at, IMO.

Yeah, in fact, if Luck keeps getting hit like he did this year, we may have to put him on the Ben Rothlesberger diet.  A bag of chips every hour for 2 weeks rotating between Lays, Cool Ranch Doritos and Sea Salt Pretzels.  That will bolster his mid section for severe impact.    

Best:

1.  2 minute drill may be the best ever when it's all said and done

2.  Takes big time punishment in the pocket and hasn't become "ball shy" or "DE shy"

3.  Great play action form with accurate throws when he does it (not often enough)

4.  Leader in the huddle 

5.  Short term memory after interception

6.  One of the most physical (if not the most) QBs in the NFL

7.  Great hard count

8.  Physically and mentally looks like the perfect QB

Worst:

1.  Not much touch on the short pass

2.  Doesn't always zip the ball when it really needs to be

3.  Doesn't get rid of the ball when nobody is open

4.  Doesn't run the ball enough...Hey, sometimes is okay when you are that fast

5.  His normal voice needs to sound like his hard count....more inflection

6.  Admits to liking soccer

Great list.....apart from 'Worst - 6'. Go on, live a little, try it (and not that MLS dross).....

Best: We is a hard worker, studier, and is a great leader. He has a fantastic arm that he can throw a ball on the mark, with defenders in his face. He is the most clutch QB under the age of 24 and knows how to will the team to win, much like Manning, another great QB. He is like Tebow, but with a better mind and arm. 

Worst: Made a lot of questionable throws, he didn't always make the best decisions. Holding onto the ball for too long, which is only partly his fault because of the O-line, but he needs to develop the "clock" in his head. 

If Stanton was leading this team, we would have been 2-14 again, Luck makes all the difference (no pun intended).

Best: We is a hard worker, studier, and is a great leader. He has a fantastic arm that he can throw a ball on the mark, with defenders in his face. He is the most clutch QB under the age of 24 and knows how to will the team to win, much like Manning, another great QB. He is like Tebow, but with a better mind and arm.

Worst: Made a lot of questionable throws, he didn't always make the best decisions. Holding onto the ball for too long, which is only partly his fault because of the O-line, but he needs to develop the "clock" in his head.

If Stanton was leading this team, we would have been 2-14 again, Luck makes all the difference (no pun intended).

Worst attribute;

Can't say his last name without everything sounding like a pun.

Worst attribute;

Can't say his last name without everything sounding like a pun.

It's terrible when I go to threads on other websites during game time.

"Haha, good Luck Colts"

"Well, that was un-Luck-y"

"That pass was pure Luck"

"The Colts will be Luck-y to win this game"

"Luck"