Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Sanders 6 Tackles And Counting

PreManningColtsFan

So I just checked the Chargers / Vikings box score and see where Sanders has 6 total tackles, 3 solo. Am I in the twilight zone or is Bob Sanders playing since he switched teams and Peyton Manning is out indefinitely. It also looks like we will lose Bracket for awhile. Man it just keeps gettin' better everyday doesn't it? Good for Bob and typical luck for Colts. I still don't think Sanders will make it through the season.

So I just checked the Chargers / Vikings box score and see where Sanders has 6 total tackles, 3 solo. Am I in the twilight zone or is Bob Sanders playing since he switched teams and Peyton Manning is out indefinitely. It also looks like we will lose Bracket for awhile. Man it just keeps gettin' better everyday doesn't it? Good for Bob and typical luck for Colts. I still don't think Sanders will make it through the season.

Bizzaro world for sure.

Yeah, it's a crazy start for sure. At this time last year, if you had told me that in a year Peyton would be watching a game on the sidelines and Bob would not be in a Colts uniform, I would never have believed you.

We have gone down the rabbit hole.

Manning wasn't with the team today, something I haven't seen anyone here discuss yet.

if our fo would have managed our cap better he would have been a game changer for us today. sd is super bowl bound with bob

Maybe it's just me but I think Polian needs to be fired. He was NOT ready for Peyton to go down. He defended Curtis Painter even though many people like Bob Kravitz knew he clearly was not an NFL QB. He never played like an NFL QB. Then when it's his time - Polian up and gets Collins. So much for next man up. A 38 year old retired QB who was never more than above average, is with just a week to prepare, a better choice to start the season than Painter, who was hired to do one thing: win when Peyton cannot play.

Collins did nothing today to redeem Polian in my eyes. Polian has always taken great teams and turned them into better than average ones. Remember the Bills four consecutive failed superbowl appearances? That was Polian. Add to the legacy all the Colts quick playoff exits, and only one Championship for the team with the greatest QB of all time.

The people of Indiana do not deserve the season we are about to endure courtesy of Bill Polian. How long will the Ersay Family put up with this guy?

Manning wasn't with the team today, something I haven't seen anyone here discuss yet.

There would only be something to discuss if he HAD been with the team. That would have been an act of stupidity, not loyalty. Are you trying to :stir: ? :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the owners box next week, but even if he isn't I will read absolutely nothing into it other than that he is following doctors orders and doing everything possible to get better.

du di du do, du di du do, du di du do, du di du do... my best online impression of the intro to twilight zone.

It always happens with the Colts... they leave the team and do well. Ryan Lilja, Jake Scott, Joique Bell, Brandon Stokely, and now maybe Bob Sanders... I still like the release of him, because that's 5 free million dolalrs right ther.

I think brackett not being present could actually make the defense better, yes he recognizes coverages but he's not quick anymore and isnt that great of a tackler anymore... Pat on the other hand has really performed well him being in the middle is better for the colts.

I think brackett not being present could actually make the defense better, yes he recognizes coverages but he's not quick anymore and isnt that great of a tackler anymore... Pat on the other hand has really performed well him being in the middle is better for the colts.

Not a great tackler? You watch the same game we watched? Not quick? I don't think we were watching the same game dude

Maybe it's just me but I think Polian needs to be fired. He was NOT ready for Peyton to go down. He defended Curtis Painter even though many people like Bob Kravitz knew he clearly was not an NFL QB. He never played like an NFL QB. Then when it's his time - Polian up and gets Collins. So much for next man up. A 38 year old retired QB who was never more than above average, is with just a week to prepare, a better choice to start the season than Painter, who was hired to do one thing: win when Peyton cannot play.

Collins did nothing today to redeem Polian in my eyes. Polian has always taken great teams and turned them into better than average ones. Remember the Bills four consecutive failed superbowl appearances? That was Polian. Add to the legacy all the Colts quick playoff exits, and only one Championship for the team with the greatest QB of all time.

The people of Indiana do not deserve the season we are about to endure courtesy of Bill Polian. How long will the Ersay Family put up with this guy?

Actually I think it is just you.

I suspect that most people would assume that when you have a unique athlete (ie: perhaps the greatest QB in the history of the game), your goal is to build a team to take advantage of his talents. Polian has done that in spades. So what happens when that unique talent isn't there?

The phrase "next man up" is a coaches mantra meaning nothing. The alternative would be for them to say "sorry, we're giving up and going home", which isn't a great media soundbite. The reason the Colts have been perceived as team for which "next man up" is a reality is that Polian has drafted well, hired good coaches, and they have always had Manning. Now they don't. The idea that Polian is a failure because he doesn't have another first-ballot hall-of-famer waiting in the wings is simply irrational. I agree that Collins is average, but he also has accumulated the 10th most passing yardage in the history of the sport. Who did you expect the "next man" to be? Tom Brady?

The Bills are the only team to ever reach the SB four years running. It's a tremendous accomplishment. To deduce that the very man that created those superb teams out of whole cloth was actually the primary obstacle to their winning makes so little sense that my head hurts.

And by the way, the people of Indiana have been treated to one of the greatest runs of success in the history of the sport. They are fans, just like fans in any other city. They didn't in any way "deserve" that run of success more than fans in any other city, and I'm not clear why you believe they are entitled to more. Did you have a contract with the Colts guaranteeing a certain amount of happiness that you are trying to call in? It's just football for crying out loud.

Sorry you're having a bad day. I don't think any of us are too thrilled at the moment. But if you are seeking someone to blame for your disappointment, you're looking entirely in the wrong place. It's called fate. If you'd like a reality check, try imagining what would have happened if the Colts had drafting Ryan Leaf.

if our fo would have managed our cap better he would have been a game changer for us today. sd is super bowl bound with bob

Was that purely a cap decision? I thought they were mostly sick of the injuries. I personally would have preferred that they keep him because he can be such a difference maker, but I can understand why they did it. It would be ironic if he stays healthy for SD, but he could have just as easily stayed with the Colts - preventing us from resigning Adaii for one - and then gotten injured again. You'd need a crystal ball to figure this one out.

And SD might well be SB bound with him or without him. They've had a frightening team for years now.

I suspect that most people would assume that when you have a unique talent (ie: perhaps the greatest QB in the history of the game), your goal is to build a team to take advantage of his talents. Polian has done that in spades. So what happens when that unique talent isn't there?

The phrase "next man up" is a coaches mantra meaning nothing. The alternative would be for them to say "sorry, we're giving up and going home", which isn't a great media soundbite. The reason the Colts have been perceived as team for which "next man up" is a reality is that Polian has drafted well, hired good coaches, and they have always had Manning. Now they don't. The idea that Polian is a failure because he doesn't have another first-ballot hall-of-famer waiting in the wings is simply irrational. I agree that Collins is average, but he also has accumulated the 10th most passing yardage in the history of the sport. Who did you expect the "next man" to be? Tom Brady?

The Bills are the only team to ever reach the SB four years running. It's a tremendous accomplishment. To deduce that the very man that created those superb teams out of whole cloth was actually the primary obstacle to their winning makes so little sense that my head hurts.

And by the way, the people of Indiana have been treated to one of the greatest runs of success in the history of the sport. They are fans, just like fans in any other city. They didn't in any way "deserve" that run of success more than fans in any other city, and I'm not clear why you believe they are entitled to more. Did you have contract with the Colts guaranteeing a certain amount of happiness that you are trying to call in? It's just football for crying out loud.

Sorry you're having a bad day. I don't think any of us are too thrilled at the moment. But if you are seeking someone to blame for your disappointment, you're looking entirely in the wrong place. It's called fate. If you'd like a reality check, try imagining what would have happened if the Colts had drafting Ryan Leaf.

+1 for much truth.

Was that purely a cap decision?

I would say yes and no. He was let go because of the injury issues, you and I both know that. In relation to the cap, he was a serious liability to the cap because of the size of his contract and the horrid infrequency of his availability.

As much as people claim that our FO refuses to acknowledge their mistakes, Bob's release was a good example to the contrary.

Not a great tackler? You watch the same game we watched? Not quick? I don't think we were watching the same game dude

Im sure youve seen brackett in pursuit of a defender, he's not very quick.. Pat is a much better wrap up tackler. Its easy for him to make a tackle when the guy is coming straight at him... Brackett has been solid, but these past few yrs brackett has been lacking on his solo tackles and that comes with age especially at his size. He's still great in zone coverages, he knows where to be but when it comes to running downs i would take pat all day.

Im sure youve seen brackett in pursuit of a defender, he's not very quick.. Pat is a much better wrap up tackler. Its easy for him to make a tackle when the guy is coming straight at him... Brackett has been solid, but these past few yrs brackett has been lacking on his solo tackles and that comes with age especially at his size. He's still great in zone coverages, he knows where to be but when it comes to running downs i would take pat all day.

I should neg rep you for removing that hot girl from your avatar.

No insult intended, but she was prettier than you.

Brackett played well today, including a choice solo tackle. I think your selling him short. Angerer was definitely not looking like the rookie he was. Classic second year leap being made there. Conner is a liability from what I've seen. Not horrible but he isn't pilling his weight like his two comrades (Brackett/Angerer).

I should neg rep you for removing that hot girl from your avatar.

No insult intended, but she was prettier than you.

Brackett played well today, including a choice solo tackle. I think your selling him short. Angerer was definitely not looking like the rookie he was. Classic second year leap being made there. Conner is a liability from what I've seen. Not horrible but he isn't pilling his weight like his two comrades (Brackett/Angerer).

haha i linked my FB to this forum thats why the pic changes.. that pic only goes up on sundays or mondays.

Brackett was in on some really good tackles but he also misses his fare share of tackles... The way pat tackels he has a better chance of making tackles than brackett... plus his tats look awesome not to mention his name. I still think sims can take Connors spot thats if he stays healthy.. does anyone know the extent of his injury?

Bob will be on IR in a few weeks. Let's not get to excited.

mmkay...heres something thats bothering me. I hear these comments ALOT here and I always wonder "Do people want him to fail"? To Colts fans that once wore his jersey and bragged about the boss safety that plays for their crew, do they want him to fail or get hurt to make themselves feel better?

I gots love for Bob. He is fun to watch, no matter who he plays for. He busted his ___ wide open and yea, he got hurt alot. He got hurt for us. He broke himself into pieces for us. He was absolutely critical to winning the one championship we've had here in Indy. Yet people act like he screwed us. People act like he held out and demanded a trade.

The man got hurt alot, thats it. He left, despite being essentially kicked out of town, he left with a professional dignity that many players are devoid of.

Yet many of the same folks that called this man there own for years, are now sticking pins in his effigy like they hate him.

I hope Bob stays healthy. I hope Bob never misses another snap. I hope Bob finishes his career reeking of HoF swagger.

/end rant

PM will not travel, or drive, etc for likely several weeks. Would be surprised big time if he is on the sideline or booth for several weeks. Recall the recent surgery. Everyone while loving bob last year, were calling for his dismissal, just as they are this year for Gonzo, so blaming the FO for mis managing the cap and thats why we had to get rid of him is a joke. He played one game this year and all of the sudden the Charger are SB bound? Dont get me wrong, huge Bob fan, but they have a pretty good team without him. Without the injuries, would have been well worth the cost. They recognized the talent and kept him around as long as possible, just as they are with Gonzo, but reached a point we could not take a five million dollar gamble.

I suspect that most people would assume that when you have a unique athlete (ie: perhaps the greatest QB in the history of the game), your goal is to build a team to take advantage of his talents. Polian has done that in spades. So what happens when that unique talent isn't there?

And by the way, the people of Indiana have been treated to one of the greatest runs of success in the history of the sport. They are fans, just like fans in any other city. They didn't in any way "deserve" that run of success more than fans in any other city, and I'm not clear why you believe they are entitled to more. Did you have a contract with the Colts guaranteeing a certain amount of happiness that you are trying to call in? It's just football for crying out loud.

When you have a unique athlete you build a team around them in order to make use of their unique talents. Polian has not done that in spades he has done a really tick poor job of doing it in fact. Great teams draft players to play regardless of whether or not the QB/unique talent is in the starting. When Brady was out New England had a good enough team to withstand his absence. Polian has had a number of draft busts in the past decade that have not done a team that has not dipped into the free agent pool any favors. You take the most recent draft busts or near busts in Brown and Hughes you are shooting yourself in the foot right out of the gate. I would hardly consider that building a team to take advantage of his talents.

They have to live by the mantra of next man up there isn't any other choice. Now whether or not that next man up is worth being on the team is another story. If they truly lived by the mantra of next man up why did they go out and pick up Kerry Collins as a free agent instead of going with their next man up being Painter? Why because Painter is not a starting caliber NFL quarterback. If Polian has drafted so well then he would have had at least a serviceable back up who already knew the system and could step in and do the best job possible. I find it almost laughable that you consider Polian has drafted well with his series of busts he has drafted for the Colts. The fact that they hadn't taken into account the possibility that Manning was getting older and it was possible he could go down to an injury is a major fault for the Colt front office. Not to mention they have known for a few months that Manning had surgery and all threw training camp he wasn't practicing. What took them so long to go after a suitable back up QB? Collins was retired sitting at home could they have not called him a couple weeks or month sooner to get him into camp? We will have to agree to disagree on the hiring of coaches being that I think Caldwell is absolutely horrible.

The fact that he doesn't have a suitable back up QB is completely irrational. It doesn't have to be a hall of fame caliber quarterback but it surely could have been someone better than Curtis Painter. Collins is absolutely average and he is also old by NFL standards. Problem with players as they get older they are more susceptible to injuries. What happens if/when Collins goes down to injury due to the O-line letting him get pummeled to the ground over and over? Is it going to be next man up again? If they weren't comfortable with Painter being the #1 guy as backup when it was known that he was going to have to make the starts are you comfortable with him?

Honestly I don't care about the Bills or what he did for them. This is a what have you done for me lately type of business. He cannot sit back and rest on has laurels and point to what he has done in the past.

The people of Indiana have been treated to having the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. A quarterback who covered over MANY of the teams major flaws that have never been fixed by such a great front office. A quarterback who has made up for a horrible special teams unit, a very soft defense who can go out and give up 21+ points a game and know that they are going to be bailed out, a o-line made of swiss cheese that Peyton has had to work behind for so many years. If they had a competent front office who knew how to build a complete team could you imagine how many more Super Bowl victories Manning would have had? Put him on a team like the Steelers and he would have without a doubt been the most dominate player to ever play the game. You are giving Polian much of the credit Peyton deserves for smoothing over all of the crap he has been given to work with. After todays game and what I fear this season it will be brutally obvious that without playing a single snap this year Manning will no doubt deserve another MVP trophy.

mmkay...heres something thats bothering me. I hear these comments ALOT here and I always wonder "Do people want him to fail"? To Colts fans that once wore his jersey and bragged about the boss safety that plays for their crew, do they want him to fail or get hurt to make themselves feel better?

I gots love for Bob. He is fun to watch, no matter who he plays for. He busted his ___ wide open and yea, he got hurt alot. He got hurt for us. He broke himself into pieces for us. He was absolutely critical to winning the one championship we've had here in Indy. Yet people act like he screwed us. People act like he held out and demanded a trade.

The man got hurt alot, thats it. He left, despite being essentially kicked out of town, he left with a professional dignity that many players are devoid of.

Yet many of the same folks that called this man there own for years, are now sticking pins in his effigy like they hate him.

I hope Bob stays healthy. I hope Bob never misses another snap. I hope Bob finishes his career reeking of HoF swagger.

/end rant

well said.i am a sanders fan and i wish him well.he was a game changer for our team i for one think it was a mistake to let him go

When you have a unique athlete you build a team around them in order to make use of their unique talents. Polian has not done that in spades he has done a really tick poor job of doing it in fact. Great teams draft players to play regardless of whether or not the QB/unique talent is in the starting. When Brady was out New England had a good enough team to withstand his absence. Polian has had a number of draft busts in the past decade that have not done a team that has not dipped into the free agent pool any favors. You take the most recent draft busts or near busts in Brown and Hughes you are shooting yourself in the foot right out of the gate. I would hardly consider that building a team to take advantage of his talents.

In regards to Hughes, it is still too early to call him a bust. If I remember right, lots of people on the board loved it when we drafted him and now those same people call him a bust. Retrospect is always 20/20.

In regards to Brown, he was the nation's leading rusher. He ran the ball well at Uconn and catches the ball well out of the backfield, which is something our offensive system requires. If you don't think Polian has been trying to take advantage of Manning's talents, you haven't been looking very closely. Clark, Wayne, Edge, Addai, all of these guys were first round picks aimed at surrounding Peyton with more weapons.

They have to live by the mantra of next man up there isn't any other choice. Now whether or not that next man up is worth being on the team is another story. If they truly lived by the mantra of next man up why did they go out and pick up Kerry Collins as a free agent instead of going with their next man up being Painter? Why because Painter is not a starting caliber NFL quarterback. If Polian has drafted so well then he would have had at least a serviceable back up who already knew the system and could step in and do the best job possible. I find it almost laughable that you consider Polian has drafted well with his series of busts he has drafted for the Colts. The fact that they hadn't taken into account the possibility that Manning was getting older and it was possible he could go down to an injury is a major fault for the Colt front office. Not to mention they have known for a few months that Manning had surgery and all threw training camp he wasn't practicing. What took them so long to go after a suitable back up QB? Collins was retired sitting at home could they have not called him a couple weeks or month sooner to get him into camp? We will have to agree to disagree on the hiring of coaches being that I think Caldwell is absolutely horrible.

The fact that he doesn't have a suitable back up QB is completely irrational. It doesn't have to be a hall of fame caliber quarterback but it surely could have been someone better than Curtis Painter. Collins is absolutely average and he is also old by NFL standards. Problem with players as they get older they are more susceptible to injuries. What happens if/when Collins goes down to injury due to the O-line letting him get pummeled to the ground over and over? Is it going to be next man up again? If they weren't comfortable with Painter being the #1 guy as backup when it was known that he was going to have to make the starts are you comfortable with him?

Honestly I don't care about the Bills or what he did for them. This is a what have you done for me lately type of business. He cannot sit back and rest on has laurels and point to what he has done in the past.

Alright, let's go with what Polian was done for the team recently. He acquired Tryon in a trade, was a major voice in the drafting of Ijalana and Castonzo, got Melvin Bullitt as an undrafted rookie in 2007, got Collie in the 4th round, got Bethea in the 6th round, got Mathis in the 5th, got Lacey undrafted in 2009, the list goes on.

The people of Indiana have been treated to having the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. A quarterback who covered over MANY of the teams major flaws that have never been fixed by such a great front office. A quarterback who has made up for a horrible special teams unit, a very soft defense who can go out and give up 21+ points a game and know that they are going to be bailed out, a o-line made of swiss cheese that Peyton has had to work behind for so many years. If they had a competent front office who knew how to build a complete team could you imagine how many more Super Bowl victories Manning would have had? Put him on a team like the Steelers and he would have without a doubt been the most dominate player to ever play the game. You are giving Polian much of the credit Peyton deserves for smoothing over all of the crap he has been given to work with. After todays game and what I fear this season it will be brutally obvious that without playing a single snap this year Manning will no doubt deserve another MVP trophy.

sd might be superbowl bound but balt and new england{to name a couple}might have something to say about that.

i think sb is way too premature lol

from what i saw out of my chargers today, i wouldn't pick em over teams like GB, unless they can get more consistent and quit making so many mistakes

down 17-7 vs minnesota in your own house is NOT ok, even though they responded in the 2nd half

my confidence is not at peak levels whatsoever, after that close call

I know a lot may agree with me but I don't think it was specifically bob's fault for always being injured

we always had small DTs, small lbs etc. which meant Bob was involved in more collisions/defensive plays than the average safety. The inability to stop the run definitely was one of the reasons bob couldn't stay healthy. If we actually had DT's and LB's who could stop the run then bob wouldn't get so banged up all the time.

San Diego was the best defense in the league last year and they can stop the run so Bob will stay healthy and have a good season.

Get off the bandwagon already then if you are that frustrated..............I mean really, do you know anything about football at all? Do you know how hard it is to make it to one Super Bowl, let alone 4 in a row!??! Seriously, When your HoF QB is out for any time there are not many (if any) that could bring someone off the bench to replace them............thats why they are going to the Hall, because they cannot be replaced.

Get a clue man!

Get off the bandwagon already then if you are that frustrated..............I mean really, do you know anything about football at all? Do you know how hard it is to make it to one Super Bowl, let alone 4 in a row!??! Seriously, When your HoF QB is out for any time there are not many (if any) that could bring someone off the bench to replace them............thats why they are going to the Hall, because they cannot be replaced.

Get a clue man!

Winner!

I know a lot may agree with me but I don't think it was specifically bob's fault for always being injured

we always had small DTs, small lbs etc. which meant Bob was involved in more collisions/defensive plays than the average safety. The inability to stop the run definitely was one of the reasons bob couldn't stay healthy. If we actually had DT's and LB's who could stop the run then bob wouldn't get so banged up all the time.

San Diego was the best defense in the league last year and they can stop the run so Bob will stay healthy and have a good season.

bob is going to be all pro this year, we could have used him. shame fo.same old story let them go somewhere else and be stars

/end rant

I get the sense that if he plays well people will start saying that we should have never cut him and so on. Our experience with him dictated that he had to be let go. Since he is a Charger, I can't root for his success. Realistically, given his history, he will play great until he is injured and that will be it.

If he plays well, it will feed into my theory that the Colts ruin the careers of their DB's. The poor defensive tackle play forces DB's to stop running backs and they get injured. Bob played the most games in 2007, a year when we had reasonable DT play.

i am just appalled how bob sanders could sign with SAN DIEGO of all teams

it wouldve been better if he went to the raiders, WHERE THEY ACTUALLY NEED SOMEONE LIKE HIM

heck, itd be better if he was a backup in philly

BUT WHY SAN DIEGO BOB

WHY SAN DIEGO

/end rant

It's the story of the fan. Throw them under the bust here, and hope they don't do well when they're not here. Always find someone to blame. Turn over every stone, but someone's pound of flesh must be had. Pitchforks and torches abound.

i am just appalled how bob sanders could sign with SAN DIEGO of all teams

it wouldve been better if he went to the raiders, WHERE THEY ACTUALLY NEED SOMEONE LIKE HIM

heck, itd be better if he was a backup in philly

BUT WHY SAN DIEGO BOB

WHY SAN DIEGO

Why not San Diego? This fan and team huff and puff loyalty facade doesn't exist in a world of $$$. San Diego was willing to take a risk on Bob; would you expect Bob to say, "Oh, no I'm not going to sign with you...you're *gasp* the Chargers!"

STOP IT! just a month ago it was all "Bob won't last training camp" and "he was a cap liability b/c he couldn't stay healthy..." now he has ONE good game and everyone wishes he were still a Colt??? REALLY? I loved him too, but he's made it one game. one. yes, it sucks that he's gone. but the D played pretty dang well without him in 2009, and people seemed to understand why he was let go (not happy, but understood that he ate up a ton of cap room and never saw the field)....

I don't want hindsight talk. It's just that. No one can predict the future. And stop saying "typical Colts, let them go somewhere else to be stars." REALLY? I can count on one hand the number of ex-Colts that are/were big time players for their new teams (paging Brandon Stokely...get my point?).

Why not San Diego? This fan and team huff and puff loyalty facade doesn't exist in a world of $$$. San Diego was willing to take a risk on Bob; would you expect Bob to say, "Oh, no I'm not going to sign with you...you're *gasp* the Chargers!"

San Diego is a contender, the Raiders aren't. Why would any football player not want to play somewhere that they have a chance at the playoffs and a winning team? Next to the $ the chance at victory is these guys deepest drive.

Oh... and don't think the Colts are the only people that whine about guys being let go and becoming stars elsewhere. San Diego - Wes Welker ring a bell for anyone?!