Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerrell Freeman needs a little more love

manning04

Playing with his injured left thumb wrapped Sunday, Colts MLB Jerrell Freeman broke Jeff Herrod's 1994 frachise record with 202 "unofficial" tackles this season.

That number comes courtesy of the coaching staff. The NFL credits Freeman with 145 tackles, which ranks fifth in the league. The CFL's runner-up for Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2011 has been one of many gems unearthed by first-year GM Ryan Grigson.

Must resign him if his contract is up.
From Indystar thru Rotoworld

Playing with his injured left thumb wrapped Sunday, Colts MLB Jerrell Freeman broke Jeff Herrod's 1994 frachise record with 202 "unofficial" tackles this season.

That number comes courtesy of the coaching staff. The NFL credits Freeman with 145 tackles, which ranks fifth in the league. The CFL's runner-up for Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2011 has been one of many gems unearthed by first-year GM Ryan Grigson.

Freeman was Indy's "BEST" player on D this last season.

He will be back, and Irsay will reward him...   No getting around it.

Yeah, I don't think they will let this guy get away. He really doesn't have any weakness that I can see, good against the run, good in coverage and a good blitzer.He brings the speed and packs a punch. I'm really suprised a guy like this was available, three down linebackers are hard to find. I've noticed a couple of times this season after he has slobernocked the ball carrier, they get up and look back to see who it was that hit them, either that or their trying to get the tag number, of that truck that just ran of them, he packs a good punch.

Here's how much I like Freeman, and I hope we do what I'm about to suggest....

Freeman has 2 year left on his 3-year deal signed out of the Canadian Football League.   I think he's already in his mid-20's so it's not like he's got a long shelf life left...

So....

Even though he's got two years left and I think next year we pay roughly $500k and the year after we pay $600k, here's what I'd do...

I'd offer to add another year to his deal at $1 Mill for 2015 and sweeten it with a $3 Mill signing bonus so that's amortized over 2013, 14 and 15.

It's the Colts way of thanking him for a great year and rewarding over-achievement.   It incentivizes great play and lets others know that if you out-perform your contract the Colts won't take advantage of you.

I think it'd be win-win for player and team.

I realize it would set a potentially dangerous precedent and this is not my normal style,  but I think his performance so far exceeded expectations that an exception to the rule might be in order.

Just my two cents...   but I hope someone floats this idea to management!

Way to go Jerrell..!!    Heckuva year!!     :thmup:

Here's how much I like Freeman, and I hope we do what I'm about to suggest....

Freeman has 2 year left on his 3-year deal signed out of the Canadian Football League.   I think he's already in his mid-20's so it's not like he's got a long shelf life left...

So....

Even though he's got two years left and I think next year we pay roughly $500k and the year after we pay $600k, here's what I'd do...

I'd offer to add another year to his deal at $1 Mill for 2015 and sweeten it with a $3 Mill signing bonus so that's amortized over 2013, 14 and 15.

It's the Colts way of thanking him for a great year and rewarding over-achievement.   It incentivizes great play and lets others know that if you out-perform your contract the Colts won't take advantage of you.

I think it'd be win-win for player and team.

I realize it would set a potentially dangerous precedent and this is not my normal style,  but I think his performance so far exceeded expectations that an exception to the rule might be in order.

Just my two cents...   but I hope someone floats this idea to management!

Way to go Jerrell..!!    Heckuva year!!     :thmup:

I believe the Colts own his rights for 4 years , even though he has a 3 year contract. The 4th year he will be a restricted free agent and the Colts can protect him or get compensation if he signs elsewhere.

He definitely deserves to have his picture added to Madden.  I always find it creepy to see a shadow figure where the picture should be.

For those in the know, what did he start out in Madden?  Low 50s?  I think he's in the mid 70s now.  So he didn't go totally unnoticed.

Why is there such a big difference in the number of tackles?

He definitely deserves to have his picture added to Madden.  I always find it creepy to see a shadow figure where the picture should be.

For those in the know, what did he start out in Madden?  Low 50s?  I think he's in the mid 70s now.  So he didn't go totally unnoticed.

He started out like at 64 when I got it. He is now above Kavell Conner in rating I think. Now I'm going to have to go check lol.