Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Never occurred to me but the Texans go into the playoffs like the 2006 Colts

chad72

I was looking closely at the Texans. It then dawned on me that the 2006 Colts were left for dead after losing 3 out of their last 5 games. 32nd in rush D, everyone poking fun at them, no one giving them a chance, losing a chance at the #1 seed, losing a chance then at the #2 seed and so on. Then, they took care of their wild card game and won a divisional round game on the road, and then a few breaks came their way and they ended up hosting the AFCCG.

Does anyone else think the Texans can get back to playing the way they did earlier on offense to have a resurgence in the playoffs?

One big difference though, they have Matt Schaub at QB. :)

Thoughts???

the 06 Colts had Bob Sanders back for the playoff but what does this yrs Texans have to boost their team? And just as you said Matt Schaub is not even close to Peyton Manning. Not to mention next week he will be playing the first NFL playoff game in his career against a surging Bengals pass defense.

I don't think it is close, in 06 around the last 3 or so games Boogier started playing very well.  And to me the biggest single move outside of Bob coming back was Dungy benching Gilbert GRABner for Rob Morris in the Cincy game.   Indy won 2 of their last 3.

They still gave up a lot of yards on the ground but it was in huge chunks, not getting gashed play after play.

When Morris started play OLB this D really got better and when Bob got back in the lineup they got REALLY GOOD.

And they never quit...  something I think Houston has done.

And ironically Rob started the next season as starting OLB and quickly blew out his knee and it was over for good.

Too bad because this guy never really found his "niche" as MLB but when he went outside he came alive.   

Typical for the Colts..   injury after injury...   

They aren't the '06 Colts though. They'll get beat by the Bengals I bet.

The NFL is setting up the Manning/Brady game.

Broncos will get the easy win over the Bengals, and the Patriots will show the Ravens what would have happened if the real referees were officiating their game.

I was looking closely at the Texans. It then dawned on me that the 2006 Colts were left for dead after losing 3 out of their last 5 games. 32nd in rush D, everyone poking fun at them, no one giving them a chance, losing a chance at the #1 seed, losing a chance then at the #2 seed and so on. Then, they took care of their wild card game and won a divisional round game on the road, and then a few breaks came their way and they ended up hosting the AFCCG.

Does anyone else think the Texans can get back to playing the way they did earlier on offense to have a resurgence in the playoffs?

One big difference though, they have Matt Schaub at QB. :)

Thoughts???

I said this in another thread. We lost three of our last five that year, including getting run over by the Jags for 375 yards, and the Ron Dayne game. We were dead in the water. Had to play the Chiefs in the first round, when Larry Johnson was the best back in the NFL. Stoned him, 13 carries, 32 yards, and the Chiefs didn't get a single first down until late in the third quarter.

I don't think the Texans have the pedigree those Colts had, but they have the defensive talent and depth to fix whatever has been ailing them. They dominated the Bengals last year in the wild card game, and I think they'll find a way to beat them again this year. But their offense had better snap out of it.

If they beat Cincinnati, I'd pick them over Denver in a heart beat. They are due to win a game, they truly are. Andre Johnson already burned that Denver secondary once this season, he would do it again.

Ehh, Johnson going off isn't enough. He averaged 100+ a game over the last month of the season, but the team only scored 16 points a game.

I don't really see it but yeah I guess you never know when a team might get hot for the playoffs in the playoffs and is due for it to happen.

But, for comparisons sake I will try to go along with this and compare the other teams that year to this one:

1) 2006 Chargers=2012 Broncos

2) 2006 Ravens=2012 Patriots-Not much similar here. Not even close. But, you could say role reveral. That Ravens team was all D and an inconsistent O. This Pats team is all O and an inconsistent D.

Who would be the Patriots of 2006 though for Houston to host as the third seed? IMO it has to be a rival.

Bengals-Nope not a real rival IMO. It has been one sided too here since Cincy lost twice to Houston last year.

Ravens-Not sure a real rival but I don't know how Houston fans feel about them. Until this year the Ravens have always beaten the Texans I believe.

Colts-Guess we are the closest to the real rival. We own them in Indy and we ruined their homefield plans. I am sure they would love to host us in Houston where we have struggled the last 3 seasons even though we always pay them back in Indy.

In the NFC the Falcons=2006 Saints and the 49ers are the 2006 Bears.

Thats all I can come up with.

Manning can be had...    you just have to get to him fast and HIT HIM.    

Peyton has never liked getting hit.   

Actually I think Indy may be better off against Manning than Brady.   

But I am not *....    The Colts would be HUGE underdogs against either.

Some Colts fans may be reluctant to hope for(not all but some)the Colts vs Broncos game. I'd like to see that game myself

There are some similarities but I think the main difference between our 2006 team and the Texans now is that we had already been thru some considerable playoff battles by then....with some good results, and as we know....some heartbreaking as well as some downright embarrassing results.

The Texans have played in 2 playoff games....and Matt Shaub has played in neither of them. By 2006 Peyton had already had his face rubbed in the mud several times.

The Texans are probably talented enough to go to....and win....a Super Bowl if they play 4 nearly flawless playoff games. Anything can happen but I just don't think they will....mainly because they simply haven't had enough big game experience like what we'd had by 2006.

And as we Colts fans know all too well....the regular season is one thing and the playoffs are another.

Houston might win in the Wild Card round...but IMO, thats where it ends.

Even though the Texans have been struggling lately, they have lost to 4 playoff teams this year; Colts/Vikings/Patriots and Packers a while ago.

In late 2006 the Colts lost to some crap division rivals, all 3 of them. And they left tire marks. We also lost to the Cowboys on the road mid season.

I feel the Colts fall from the first seed to third in 2006 was worse then the Texans this season.

Maybe the texans really are the 06 colts (bad news for pats fans)

I would favor the Pats of course. But, maybe the Texans can pick it up. Who knows. Our wins in the playoffs when we won the SB were not all too pretty either....

The media was a bit too high on Cincy too for some reason I feel. Good enough D but I was really iffy about their offense and it showed today. I saw tons picking the Bengals to win.

Hey, some of us are a little too pattern crazy here snowy. No worries. we still have the 2001 Pats comparison and the 1995 Colts if we win tomorrow. :) I also have thrown 1996 in the ring recently as well.

I would favor the Pats of course. But, maybe the Texans can pick it up. Who knows. Our wins in the playoffs when we won the SB were not all too pretty either....

The media was a bit too high on Cincy too for some reason I feel. Good enough D but I was really iffy about their offense and it showed today. I saw tons picking the Bengals to win.

Hey, some of us are a little too pattern crazy here snowy. No worries. we still have the 2001 Pats comparison and the 1995 Colts if we win tomorrow. :) I also have thrown 1996 in the ring recently as well.

I'm rooting for the Colts because a Manning v. Luck match up is going to be epic. This forum will explode. That and because the Ravens have historically gave the Pats trouble in the playoffs.