Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Over/under: Austin Collie Gets 1000 Yards / 9 Tds

Andy

He had 650 yards and 8 touchdowns last year in only 9 games. He could have been one of the best receivers last year, but those 2 darn concussions. Do you think that Austin:

1. Gets over/under 1000 yards

2. Gets over/under 9 TDs

What do you guys think?

but the D changes with Clark on the field. manning likes mismatches and I think most Ds are forced to pay attention to Wayne and now also Clark. Basically leaving Collie with a lot of 1 on 1 mismatches. I think Clark actually increases Collie's numbers this year and he gets OVER on yards and maybe under on TDs due to a better running game this year.

Guest BlueShoe

He had 650 yards and 8 touchdowns last year in only 9 games. He could have been one of the best receivers last year, but those 2 darn concussions. Do you think that Austin:

2. Gets over/under 9 TDs

What do you guys think?

If he stays healthy then he might lead the league.

Under, on the yards and TDs - the reason will be Dallas Clark healthy in the slot. Collie's production will be more like 800 yards and 7 TDs, close to that.

Dallas was on the field when Austin was leading the league in catches early last season. He was on pace for 100 catches through the Redskins game, which is when Dallas went down. If anything, Clark's presence helps Collie's numbers.

I'm taking the over. Assuming health.

Whew, this is a tough one. With a healthy bevy of receivers and the possible emergence

of the running game to take some plays away from the receivers......I guess I will go

with the under on this one.

With Manning spreading the ball around to Wayne, Clark, Collie, Garcon and possibly

Gonzo(if he can stay healthy)and a potentially potent running game, under on both.

But.....a potent running game could lead to a crisp, play action pass offense to open

up the passing game. He could be easily over. :whiteflag: It could go either way.

Dallas was on the field when Austin was leading the league in catches early last season. He was on pace for 100 catches through the Redskins game, which is when Dallas went down. If anything, Clark's presence helps Collie's numbers.

I'm taking the over. Assuming health.

You know what, you may be right.

Clark's presence aids Collie from not having to deal with double teams and safety hits since Clark is the one dealing with it more often with 50 more lbs to help :). Once Clark went down, no one wanted to double Tamme and Collie's concussions went up too. Collie's health, more than anything else, is aided by Clark's presence. It seems like a double benefit with Clark in there for Collie, health and numbers. We will see how it unfolds, if teams switch up their double teams between Clark and Collie or primarily focus on Clark like before. I still am voting "under" since Clark cannot be doubled all the time and teams are going to play their zones on both switching their double teams.

Under 1000 yards and under 9 TDs is my vote still :), and for the record, I would love to be wrong :).

You know what, you may be right.

Clark's presence aids Collie from not having to deal with double teams and safety hits since Clark is the one dealing with it more often with 50 more lbs to help :). Once Clark went down, no one wanted to double Tamme and Collie's concussions went up too. Collie's health, more than anything else, is aided by Clark's presence. It seems like a double benefit with Clark in there for Collie, health and numbers. We will see how it unfolds, if teams switch up their double teams between Clark and Collie or primarily focus on Clark like before. I still am voting "under" since Clark cannot be doubled all the time and teams are going to play their zones on both switching their double teams.

Under 1000 yards and under 9 TDs is my vote still :), and for the record, I would love to be wrong :).

Interesting thought. Sending Collie up the seam a little more with Clark on the sideline leads to more middle targets. I hadn't really thought about that.

Another thing to consider is that if the Colts use Collie as the #2 receiver in two receiver sets, he'll get even more reps and targets.

2. Gets over/under 9 TDs

What do you guys think?

This is a tough call, imo his best chance of exceeding 1000 yds was when several other starters were out last year. Collie became Mannings safety blanket, then the concussions happened. If the starters stay relatively healthy I say 800 yds and 8 tds. Wayne will get his 1100 yds, Clark 1000 yds, Spreading the wealth between all the offensive weapons will take away from his production a tad bit if everyone reamains healthy.

I'm going to assume he will play in 14 games; in his 25 game career he has 118 catches for 1325 yards and 15 TDs. I'm predicting he will be at his career average of about 5 catches a game (70 total) but up his ypc to 12.5, giving him 875 yard and 8 TDs.

Put me down for "UNDER" - but he still will have a very solid season.

I think he is over on both. He was Manning's go to target when he was healthy. He was catching a higher percentage of targets than any other receiver (80.5%, or 58 catches of 72 passes). In comparison Wayne was at 63% and Clark was at 69.8% last year. I think Collie and Manning have incredible chemistry. If they both are healthy this season then Collie will do better in both categories. If all the receivers and Manning are healthy we have a good chance of going to the Superbowl again just like Collie's rookie season. Reviewing the top 50 receivers in the NFL, only 13 were equal to or better than Wayne's 63% of targets caught and not one was within 10% of Collie, the closest being at 69%. Collie was unstoppable healthy, if he is healthy this year the Colts will be near unstoppable. Today's ESPN highlight world likes to see 50 yard touchdowns, but if you have a receiver that catches 4 out of every 5 passes tossed his way, you will march down the field on anyone. I hope he protects his head this year and I hope Peyton gets healthy... if so we are going to have some FUN!

Just another word (I promise!) for those that think Collie will have less than 8 TDs, review the end of his rookie season and all of last season when he was healthy. He was Peyton's #1 redzone target by far! He averaged a TD a game last year and was nearly as good in the latter part of his rookie season as he and Peyton got sync'ed up. IF HE IS HEALTHY, he will easily exceed 8 TDs. When you have the best QB throwing the ball and a receiver that catches 80%+ of throws, of course you're going to throw to him in the endzone! Go Colts!

Just another word (I promise!) for those that think Collie will have less than 8 TDs, review the end of his rookie season and all of last season when he was healthy. He was Peyton's #1 redzone target by far! He averaged a TD a game last year and was nearly as good in the latter part of his rookie season as he and Peyton got sync'ed up. IF HE IS HEALTHY, he will easily exceed 8 TDs. When you have the best QB throwing the ball and a receiver that catches 80%+ of throws, of course you're going to throw to him in the endzone! Go Colts!

And how many of those TDs were with Dallas Clark out of the game?

Clark is his #1 red zone receiver; always has been, and certainly will be this year.

I'm going over on both. Collie has the luxury of having Clark and Wayne on the same team as him. Defenses will put their best CB on Wayne and their 2nd best coverage player on Clark. Collie gets the guys who aren't so great at coverage, letting him get lots of yards, receptions and touchdowns. I say he breaks 1000 yards, but not 1100. I see him getting 9-10 TDs.

Tough tough question. The Colts have never gotten that kind of production out of the slot except for Peyton's 49 TD year. The fact is that Collie COULD well get those kind of numbers, but what would that say about the rest of the Colts passing attack? Clark is a vital weapon and he's only hit 10/1000 once in his career! It would probably be a lot healthier for the offense (and for Austin) if he wasn't targeted at the ridiculous pace that he was early last year, so I'm going to say that he doesn't (while hoping that the Colts have an exceptional offense regardless). Spread it around!

but the D changes with Clark on the field. manning likes mismatches and I think most Ds are forced to pay attention to Wayne and now also Clark. Basically leaving Collie with a lot of 1 on 1 mismatches. I think Clark actually increases Collie's numbers this year and he gets OVER on yards and maybe under on TDs due to a better running game this year.

right clark can get doubled team across the middle because that's a very easy how the colts can get a 1st down.....look back at the jets playoff game in 2010 collie killed them in the slot I believe he'll be under a thousand yards this season the colts want to take it easy on him

Ah! This thread has me so fired up to see Collie play. I'm doing high kicks and fist pumps like mad right now. Okay, breathing into a paper bag... Now that I've calmed down I will make a logical, objective prediction about Austin Collie...

He's going to tear it up over 1000 yards and at least 10 TD! This dude is a beast. Fist pump! High kicks! Ah!

And how many of those TDs were with Dallas Clark out of the game?

Clark is his #1 red zone receiver; always has been, and certainly will be this year.

Maybe in the past, I'm not sure about now. In Clark's 6 games last year he had 3 TDs, Collie played in 9 games (several for less than a half due to injuries) and had 8. The year before Collie as a rookie had 7 TDs and Clark in his pro bowl year had 10. This year both will get their opportunities but if they both stay healthy I think you'll see Collie with more TDs, he has a significantly better catch rate per target as I stated in my earlier post. The real question is how will teams defend Collie this year. Admittedly he probably was not being guarded by other teams' shutdown corners like Wayne, but since he is a legitimate threat it will be interesting to see how teams adapt their defense to cover 3 great receivers/TE (Wayne, Collie, Clark) and another decent receiver (Garcon).

Assuming he stays healthy all season I would say over on both, but I think that might be a risky assumption. Watching him play the early part of last season, it was clear that he was having his break out season. Manning had complete faith in him. He was showing great hands. It looked like he was poised to be our next great reciever in the shadows of Harrison and Wayne, but then the concussions hit. I think the concussions may have shown the one thing Collie lacks: Awareness of the defense around him. This is something that Harrison and Wayne were both fully aware of. They didn't (and Wayne still doesn't) put themselves in situations where they could get laid out by the defense. I don't know. Maybe it's because Collie runs more routes over the middle of the field, but it seems to me Collie just doesn't see it coming sometimes. I really hope he does stay healthy. If he does, there is no doubt in my mind that he can go for 1000 yards and more than 10 touchdowns.

2. Gets over/under 9 TDs

What do you guys think?

ill go under on 1000 yards but over on the 9 tds.