Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next year

MrNLM

Yep, I seriously am. Brazill is a rookie and has looked great in preseason. Very well could develop into a #1 receiver and Avery has all the talent needed to be a #1 receiver. He has just had injury issue's. There is no reason what so ever why either one couldn't develop into #1 guy's.

Brazil has never played an NFL game...Avery's been injured and had 3 catches last year and none in 2010. They both need to prove themselves over the next 4 months to even be considered a legit NFL receiver....much less a #1. To compare either Brazil or Avery (today) to what Mike Wallace has accomplished is stupid.

Mike Wallace has 132 catches the last two years -- for nearly 2500 yards and has 18 TD's.

As to the FA $'s.....I'd sign Wallace. He's only 26 and is a legit #1. For the people that talk about how deep we are at WR -- Reggie Wayne is 34 later this season and Collie is an injry risk given his concussion problems (and isn't a #1 even if he stays healthy) After that.....there are more questions and unproven players. Give Luck his #1 stud receiver for the next 5 years.

After they sign Wallace....I'd go for the best OL man out there.

Any extra $'s can be used for issues that we don't know about today.....

im I love walace and he would fit with arians and luck but there are like at least 5 more obvious needs than WR. when we have so obvious needs on other places and WR is just a position that COULD be upgraded id go with the needs in FA.

G, T, NT/DE(we need at least one of those even if Chapman pans out, Moala is on his last year and we need someone who can handle run ganme and be a facotr vs the pass), ILB, if we dont resign freeney then OLB becomes a major need, nickel cb, ILB, ans S.

heck you might say we need 1 guy at every D position and 1G and 1 T

Brazil has never played an NFL game...Avery's been injured and had 3 catches last year and none in 2010. They both need to prove themselves over the next 4 months to even be considered a legit NFL receiver....much less a #1. To compare either Brazil or Avery (today) to what Mike Wallace has accomplished is stupid.

Mike Wallace has 132 catches the last two years -- for nearly 2500 yards and has 18 TD's.

As to the FA $'s.....I'd sign Wallace. He's only 26 and is a legit #1. For the people that talk about how deep we are at WR -- Reggie Wayne is 34 later this season and Collie is an injry risk given his concussion problems (and isn't a #1 even if he stays healthy) After that.....there are more questions and unproven players. Give Luck his #1 stud receiver for the next 5 years.

After they sign Wallace....I'd go for the best OL man out there.

Any extra $'s can be used for issues that we don't know about today.....

First of all, Im not comparing either one of those guy's to Wallace. You just assumed that I was without really putting proper reading comprehension into my post.. What I was saying is that either one could eventually develop into a #1 reciever. Of course we have no idea whether they will or not, again, that wasn't the point. Neither one has had a chance to show what they can do on the field, because Brazill is a rookie and Avery had a bad knee injury that he is just now fully recovered from.

The entire point of any of this talk is that a WR is not even close to a need now or even next season(unless we have serious injury issue's this yr.) We have a ton of cap space next yr. that needs to be spent on fixing the obvious issue's on the team, I.E., O-line, D-line, Lber, I would even spend more money on depth issue's before I would even consider sinking money into a WR. Colts fans have the Bill Polian philosophy stuck in there heads with Skill Positions, Skill Positions, and even more Skill Positions. Luck has enough weapons right now, Wayne, Hilton, Avery, Brazill, Collie, Adams, all young guys except Wayne and all with a ton of potential. Not to mention, we got the 2 best TE's in the draft this yr..

First of all, Im not comparing either one of those guy's to Wallace. You just assumed that I was without really putting proper reading comprehension into my post.. What I was saying is that either one could eventually develop into a #1 reciever. Of course we have no idea whether they will or not, again, that wasn't the point. Neither one has had a chance to show what they can do on the field, because Brazill is a rookie and Avery had a bad knee injury that he is just now fully recovered from.

Gotta love the internet posters that throw out the "make assumptions" and "lack or reading comprehension" posts....makes them seem so smart!!

You're exactly right, either of the guys you mentioned (a rookie and guy with 3 catches over the last two year) might be the next #1 receiver....or they could be the next Roy Hall.

Mike Wallace IS a #1 receiver....there is no doubt, questions, assumptions or anything else around those claims. The Colts have the $$'s to sign him and IMO a need at WR for next year and beyond.

I hope the people in charge of the checkbook realize that eventually Luck needs a #1 receiver....I dont see one currently on the roster for 2013 with a soon to be 34 year old (that will turn 35 next season), a WR with concussion issues, an injured vet and a bunch or rookies.

They have minimal draft picks next year so they will have to find some starters via FA. Wallace gives Luck his new - era version of Harrison/Wayne for the next 5 years if signed.

This is not a team with cap problems for 2013 -- there is plenty of money to sign Wallace and still bring in lineman as well.

You're exactly right, either of the guys you mentioned (a rookie and guy with 3 catches over the last two year) might be the next #1 receiver....or they could be the next Roy Hall.

Mike Wallace IS a #1 receiver....there is no doubt, questions, assumptions or anything else around those claims. The Colts have the $$'s to sign him and IMO a need at WR for next year and beyond.

I hope the people in charge of the checkbook realize that eventually Luck needs a #1 receiver....I dont see one currently on the roster for 2013 with a soon to be 34 year old (that will turn 35 next season), a WR with concussion issues, an injured vet and a bunch or rookies.

They have minimal draft picks next year so they will have to find some starters via FA. Wallace gives Luck his new - era version of Harrison/Wayne for the next 5 years if signed.

This is not a team with cap problems for 2013 -- there is plenty of money to sign Wallace and still bring in lineman as well.

Ya also got to love the one's that call somebody stupid for something they didn't understand in the 1st place.

I'd like to see us thicken up the D-line and solidify the O-line as well. Adding another weapon would be nice too and I am eager to see our defense develop. So much can change between then and now. What players in college now would be good fits for our D? Seems there are plenty of WR's out there that can play while some of our young talent develops.

Ya also got to love the one's that call somebody stupid for something they didn't understand in the 1st place.

I didnt call YOU stupid....Had you actually tried to compare Wallace to the current Colts receivers (which you claim you were not doing)....that WOULD have been stupid a stupid idea.

I didnt call YOU stupid....Had you actually tried to compare Wallace to the current Colts receivers (which you claim you were not doing)....that WOULD have been stupid a stupid idea.

Ok, Im willing to let things go. Not a big deal to me. We have differing opinions on what the money should be spent on and thats ok. BTW, After we upgrade RG, RT, NT, DE, LB, and depth at CB, O-line, and D-line, if we still have enough money to get a Wallace or whoever else is available at WR, then that would be great.

I agree they both make good points, but I'm more with Balzer. The team already has plenty small, speedy guys. Let's see how this group does before we get anxious about spending tons of cash on Wallace. I'm not as ready to crown him as a true #1 as Nobody is. It doesn't really look like the Steelers are either.

You make some good points as well.

CB

Antoine Cason

Mike Jenkins

Bradley Fletcher

Nate Clements

Derek Cox

Sean Smith

OG

Basically whichever guy Buffalo lets go. (Levitre/Urbik/Rinehart)

RT

Sebastian Vollmer

Andre Smith

DE

Mike DeVito

Alan Branch

Ty Warren

Justin Bannan

Randy Starks

Terrance Knighton

NT

Isaac Sopoaga

Casey Hampton

Bring in one of each position and we're golden.....maybe 2 of the DEs if Moala isn't retained.

yea, It really depends on where we are weak at by the end of the season on D but if Freeney can't cut it I'd say a pass rusher in the 1st round as well

I think the WR is pretty deep in the draft and ya I don't know what I was thinking when I said a 2nd round pick. I'd love to pick up a dominate pass rusher with the 1st round pick. theres alot of ways we can go in the draft but it all depends on whos available and that would sign in FA

Im with Balzer in that WR is the last thing the Colts ”need”. Can we let Hilton, Brazill, and Avery play first? Im sure 3 years ago the Steelers had little idea what Wallace was going to be. The same could be said for Jerry Rice. Lets let these young guys develop first and see what we have before we go blowing $$ on a guy we may not even need. Hilton has every bit the potential to be a Mike Wallace and end up being WAY CHEAPER in the long run.

Smart money goes to building the O-line and D-line. I may feel different than you guys, but Im not satisfied that in the last 13 years, with one of the greatest QBs ever. The best they could do was win 1 title, and it was because areas of need were overlooked. Specifically early on in Mannings era they gave him his weapons and neglected the key areas on defense (DT's and DB's). 1 title?!?

Build where the game is won and lost. The lines. Once thats taken care of THEN the skill positions can be taken care of. The Colts are close in my opinion, and really it just comes down to letting these guys play together for a year, then we can evaluate. Polian always said that it normally takes 2 years to see the development in the draftee's. Guys, lets give them the opportunity before we are ready to give up on them.

I think we should focus on building up the trenches on both sides; we have skill position players who have playmaker potential and a QB that's the real deal. The glaring missing piece is to build an O-line to let them maximize their talents. Defensively, we'll need to shore up that run D now that some quality pieces have been added to the secondary. Getting a future #1 receiver to replace Reggie hangs 'em up is nice, but I hope we address the lines first.

We'll use free agency and the draft to get there...hopefully that means we don't overpay too badly out of desperation.

We do not need a WR. Plain and simple. Why do we need to sign a high dollar #1 WR when Reggie is going to hold that title for at least 2 more yrs. after this yr.? If we want a future #1 WR then you draft him and let him learn for a couple of yrs. instead of spending a huge amount of money on a #1 guy. The money could be better spent on O-line, D-line, and Lber. Wasting money on a #1 WR next offseason is an incredibly bad idea.

If you have a chance to pick up a player like Wallace you do it. It is a no brainer since Wayne will not be here forever, and we need a #1... Plus we have no clue what will happen with Collie situation. Then team can then focus on o-line and defense at the same time.

We have to make it through this year before we can even worry about any of that.

My guess is that there will be a lot of disappointment on this board when we sign a handful of mid-level FAs instead of a big name. Allocating big money to big name FAs hasn't necessarilly been a hugely successful business model. This is a particularly crucial time in the team evolution to build through the draft in order to ensure long term success.