Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Besides the obvious.

TruBlue

The biggest surprise in cuts for me is that we only kept 3 TE's on the roster. When we plan to field 2 and 3 TE personnel sets.

Along with the obvious whole at DT depth. I expect some TE waiver moves. with CB and LB obvious cut points. Who is on the bubble at OLB and ILB?

Not that surprising to me, IMO.

Biggest surprise to me was Anunoby not making the roster. But very little else was surprising.

IMO Harvey is the bubble guy at LB, but LB is generally one of our deepest positions. Unless an opportunity comes up that we just can't resist, I don't see any real roster churning at LB - why cut a guy like Addison or Freeman or Fokou? Those guys have lit it up in the preseason. I mean, I guess I could see Fokou being cut if a good LB came up, but it's unlikely. Mathis, Freeman, Hughes, and Addison have all been absolutely stellar, and Angerer is still probably the best LB on the team. Freeney has been disappointing, but that is what it is, and Conner is good. LB is, post-preseason, one of the real bright spots on the team.

CB OTOH is a big cut point. I see it as Powers-Davis-Johnson at the moment, with the other guys relatively expendable (though I think it's nominally Vaughn-King-Gordy at the moment). If a solid nickel or dime back is available I think we go for them, but the truth is that if we go into season with Vaughn/King/Gordy as the dime back, I'm mostly OK with that.

I think you under estimate the importance of the F position in Arians offense. All the motion pre snap. We used it heavily in the preseason.

True, but that position is relatively easy to fill if injuries occur.

There are tons of H-backs just sitting around their house on Sundays. Plus it's not like Kyle Miller was exactly tearing it up.

Not that surprising to me, IMO.

Biggest surprise to me was Anunoby not making the roster. But very little else was surprising.

IMO Harvey is the bubble guy at LB, but LB is generally one of our deepest positions. Unless an opportunity comes up that we just can't resist, I don't see any real roster churning at LB - why cut a guy like Addison or Freeman or Fokou? Those guys have lit it up in the preseason. I mean, I guess I could see Fokou being cut if a good LB came up, but it's unlikely. Mathis, Freeman, Hughes, and Addison have all been absolutely stellar, and Angerer is still probably the best LB on the team. Freeney has been disappointing, but that is what it is, and Connor is good. LB is, post-preseason, one of the real bright spots on the team.

CB OTOH is a big cut point. I see it as Powers-Davis-Johnson at the moment, with the other guys relatively expendable (though I think it's nominally Vaughn-King-Gordy at the moment). If a solid nickel or dime back is available I think we go for them, but the truth is that if we go into season with Vaughn/King/Gordy as the dime back, I'm mostly OK with that.

I agree with Addison on the outside but think it is Harvey in trouble in the middle. Fokou clearly out played him pre season. Although Inside might not see cuts until week 5 when Angerer is back. I think that was the prediction for his return. Because of the week 4 bye.

I like vaughn would not be heart if King or Gordy got cut.

True, but that position is relatively easy to fill if injuries occur.

There are tons of H-backs just sitting around their house on Sundays. Plus it's not like Kyle Miller was exactly tearing it up.

It wasn't kyle miller that got me, I thought Andre Smith Deserved a spot. Unless the coach's thought they would see a better option on waiver wire. I really expected to See 4 TE with out snow on the roster.

I agree with Addison on the outside but think it is Harvey in trouble in the middle. Fokou clearly out played him pre season. Although Inside might not see cuts until week 5 when Angerer is back. I think that was the prediction for his return. Because of the week 4 bye.

I like vaughn would not be heart if King or Gordy got cut.

Yeah, that's basically what I said, Harvey is the guy most likely to lose his spot if an opportunity comes along. And I agree with your assessment of when Angerer will return. Obviously, with the first waiver claim position, everything is a bit fluid and difficult to predict, but ultimately I expect LB to be Mathis/Freeney/Hughes/Addison-Angerer/Conner/Freeman/Fokou. There's really not a guy in there I'd be willing to get rid of for anything less than a solid starter with a strong record in the NFL. Those guys have been outstanding in the preseason.

I also agree that I like Vaughn better than King or Gordy, not so much because he's done much good, but more because he hasn't been as obviously atrocious. He's nothing special, but at least I can envision Vaughn playing the nickel back position without Colts fans everywhere going "GOD DARNIT CASSIUS" several times every Sunday.

Except that would be something less forum-censor-friendly than DARNIT. Possibly including a somewhat vulgar adjective.

It wasn't kyle miller that got me, I thought Andre Smith Deserved a spot. Unless the coach's thought they would see a better option on waiver wire. I really expected to See 4 TE with out snow on the roster.

Eh, I liked Smith, but not enough to spend a roster spot on him that could have belonged to someone else.

but as of right now....with mckinney on IR we only have one nose tackle....whiiichhh poses a problem. unless grigson plans on claiming one off of waivers or something, im sure mookie will need his rest during the games. because our defense is gunna be out there for a long time if we dont do something about the run. we couldnt stop alfred morris, what happens with forte, peterson, reggie bush, arian foster and the other premier backs we will have to face this year? and with mookie being pushed around by basically every center weve seen this preseason, it creates a scary situation. but whatever, thats what all our cap space next year is for right? haha

The biggest surprise in cuts for me is that we only kept 3 TE's on the roster. When we plan to field 2 and 3 TE personnel sets.

Along with the obvious whole at DT depth. I expect some TE waiver moves. with CB and LB obvious cut points. Who is on the bubble at OLB and ILB?

Despite the 2 tight end sets, the two will still being doing a lot of tight end blocking, and minor receiving. I think a lot of people and admittedly somewhat myself imagined Gronk and Hernandez when we drafted Fleener and Allen. However, from what camp and the preseason have shown, we're going to be getting the ball to our receivers before we get them to our tight ends.

Despite the 2 tight end sets, the two will still being doing a lot of tight end blocking, and minor receiving. I think a lot of people and admittedly somewhat myself imagined Gronk and Hernandez when we drafted Fleener and Allen. However, from what camp and the preseason have shown, we're going to be getting the ball to our receivers before we get them to our tight ends.

Our woes in the trenches are causing us to need them for support. When we fix that I expect them to get the ball more.

I think the coaches were counting on using a 2 TE heavy receiver offense to help Luck get comfortable in his rookie year. I think Luck has proved that he's good enough that he doesn't need that.

Yeah, he's going to be lighting up his WRs all day long before he goes to the TEs.

I think the coaches were counting on using a 2 TE heavy receiver offense to help Luck get comfortable in his rookie year. I think Luck has proved that he's good enough that he doesn't need that.

Yeah, he's going to be lighting up his WRs all day long before he goes to the TEs.

I disagree with this. I think being in 12 personnel (1 back, 2 TEs, 2 receivers) is very much a part of our long term plans, and is what the rest of the league is trending towards as well. We wouldn't have invested 2 of our higher picks (back-to-back) in a position we plan to phase out soon. Multiple TE formations allow for more versatility in the offense. Even more so when those TE's can catch AND block effectively.

That's what I thought about the Q,B. spot But,so far they don't agree. I just don't think we need 3 Q.B.'S

I think the only reason we are keeping 3 this yr. is because Stanton is only on a one yr. contract and Harnish is being groomed to be the backup. They knew if they released Harnish he would have never cleared waivers to put him on the practice squad.

I disagree with this. I think being in 12 personnel (1 back, 2 TEs, 2 receivers) is very much a part of our long term plans, and is what the rest of the league is trending towards as well. We wouldn't have invested 2 of our higher picks (back-to-back) in a position we plan to phase out soon. Multiple TE formations allow for more versatility in the offense. Even more so when those TE's can catch AND block effectively.

If the preseason is any indication at all, the TEs won't be heavily featured as receivers this year. I agree with TruBlu on this one... Wayne/Collie/Avery/Hilton/Brazil are going to get their touches waaaaaayy more than the TEs are... particularly since Fleener is a bit of a butterfingers at this point. This isn't going to be a Gronk/Hernandez type offense. At least not this year, anyways....

After Powers and Davis any of the CBs would be on the bubble. Jermale Hines at SS should be on the bubble. Ricardo Matthews at DT and Justin Hickman at LB should be expendable. One of the OLs may be athletic enough to be used as an extra blocking TE or as a tackle eligible. Reitz was tried in the preseason but Luck missed him with a possible TD pass. Nsekhe is really athletic and surprised by remaining on the roster as a backup LT. While we are at it I believe Nsekhe outplayed Linkenbach who I thought would be cut. This roster may have been put together based on the versatility of some players to play multiple positions. It seems extra linebackers and DBs were kept for special teams.

If the preseason is any indication at all, the TEs won't be heavily featured as receivers this year. I agree with TruBlu on this one... Wayne/Collie/Avery/Hilton/Brazil are going to get their touches waaaaaayy more than the TEs are... particularly since Fleener is a bit of a butterfingers at this point. This isn't going to be a Gronk/Hernandez type offense. At least not this year, anyways....

They may not be throwing to the TE's out of their formations, but the fact remains, they've run more 2-3 TE sets than they have spread this preseason. The TE's won't get the unrealistic amount of catches that some expected (Gronk/Hernandez numers) but they will be on the field more than our 3rd and 4th receivers will, because (as Pagano said before the season) they're trying to establish a phsyical run game.

I'll say up front you **may** be right.

But, my guess is the pre-season was **not** an indication of what's to come, at least as far as the number of catches by a TE are concerned.

As a long-time Stanford fan I can assure you that Luck loves him some tight ends. I think Allen and Fleener will be featured plenty in the offense and that includes catches. I'm not predicting they'll lead the team or anything like that, only that they will be used and Luck will look for them. He knows first hand what good tight ends can mean to an offense.

Whatever we've seen from Allen and Fleener in the pre-season, I'd expect to see much more of now that the season has started. Just my hunch....

That's what I thought about the Q,B. spot But,so far they don't agree. I just don't think we need 3 Q.B.'S

Wrong, Develop Harnish, and drop Stanton down the road. Harnish would never clear waivers. Since camp it was obvious we needed 3 on the roster. Most teams in this league do.

Our woes in the trenches are causing us to need them for support. When we fix that I expect them to get the ball more.

True. Nicely put.

My point exactly. It is trendy but it works. Creates mismatches. The key to the F position in the offense. And all the movement pre-snap.

My whole point is 3 TE is not enough to have on the roster. I expected a move here to add depth. Although we have not done it. I still expect to see one. That leaves us shallow.

The obvious move we needed to make was DT and we did. I thought we have a few better choices but I guess the coaches didn't. With 1 on our practice squad and Chapman back week 7 we should be ok at NT now. Nevis can play the spot in a pinch if needed.

Wrong, Develop Harnish, and drop Stanton down the road. Harnish would never clear waivers. Since camp it was obvious we needed 3 on the roster. Most teams in this league do. They may have them but,they don't need them. However, if there point is to keep harnish for the long haul.I get it.

True. Nicely put.

My point exactly. It is trendy but it works. Creates mismatches. The key to the F position in the offense. And all the movement pre-snap.

I don't think we will be using two TE much. I think Allen will start and Fleener will be in on occasions. Based on the WR we kept, and the advancement of Luck, I expect 3 WR sets.

With Allen playing FB and TE we will see both on the field often.