Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Can Play For Six More Years If Doctors Give Him A Clean Bill Of Health

GoGoColts

If we look at Favre, he was fine until the Vikings Line decided that it can't pass block.

If we look at Matt Hasselbeck's decline and resurgence,they are associated with the decline of the offensive line in Seattle and his reemergence in Tennessee with one of the better zone-blocking lines in the league.

The bottom line is that we have to over build the offensive line.

Edited by GoGoColts

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long will it take to build this line? How will long will it take for this line to develop? How long does Peyton Manning actually has to play (not what you think, but what has a doctor said?).

Once again, the bust with Tony Ugoh, letting go good players, and disregard for the line in the FA and draft (until now) has destroyed it. It will take a lot of time to build such a line and we do not have that time because Peyton doesn't. We are really in a tough situation.

How long will it take to build this line? How will long will it take for this line to develop? How long does Peyton Manning actually has to play (not what you think, but what has a doctor said?).

Once again, the bust with Tony Ugoh, letting go good players, and disregard for the line in the FA and draft (until now) has destroyed it. It will take a lot of time to build such a line and we do not have that time because Peyton doesn't. We are really in a tough situation.

If we spent a first round pick for a tackle in 2012, theoretically, moving Castanzo to right tackle, Jillana to guard, and putting Matt Kalil at LT would make it a top 5 line right away. Theoretically of course.

Edited by GoGoColts

Peyton has gone on record numerous times (remember when he said it was unlikely he'd ever face his brother on the field again due to retirement?) that he has no wish to continue playing as long as Farve. Even if he comes back entirely from this injury, something I think is unlikely, he will probably only play another season or two and then retire to greener pastures. I don't think there is any chance he will be around for another six years.

That being said, whom ever we end up with behind center needs the best offensive line money can buy.

Edited by sfergson727

Peyton has gone on record numerous times (remember when he said it was unlikely he'd ever face his brother on the field again due to retirement?) that he has no wish to continue playing as long as Farve. Even if he comes back entirely from this injury, something I think is unlikely, he will probably only play another season or two and then retire to greener pastures. I don't think there is any chance he will be around for another six years.

That being said, whom ever we end up with behind center needs the best offensive line money can buy.

That's 8 years including this year, right?

IMO there is no way Peyton plays for another 6 yrs. I think its highly unlikely he finishes out his contract.

I've said it before but making the comparison, Manning and Favre is not an accurate comparison. Favre was a different type of QB that was much more athletic and much more mobile than Manning and Favre didn't even make it till 42 yrs. old, which is what Manning will be if he played 6 more yrs.. Also, Favre didn't have a serious neck injury that took 3 different surgeries.

By all accounts, all the reports by doctors have Manning making a full recovery. Just based on the type of nerve injury I know that he has, he should recover from that. The only question at this point us, how fully will it recover? But I haven't seen any evidence yet that says it won't be a full recovery.

Edited by Mouthfire

I wonder if the nerve damage was caused by the neck injury or a botched surgery, (the first one). Reason I ask is because I had both of my hips replaced over the last two and a half years, and I still have nerve damage (numbness) around and under the incision sites. If the nerves are cut, they may never recover, and he may have the numbness in his tricep for good. Hopefully they were just compressed and not cut, but time will tell.

I wonder if the nerve damage was caused by the neck injury or a botched surgery, (the first one). Reason I ask is because I had both of my hips replaced over the last two and a half years, and I still have nerve damage (numbness) around and under the incision sites. If the nerves are cut, they may never recover, and he may have the numbness in his tricep for good. Hopefully they were just compressed and not cut, but time will tell.

Most certainly compressed and not cut. If the nerves were cut, he would've noticed a pretty abrupt and dramatic decrease in arm strength. My understanding is that this was a gradual decline, more consistent with a compression.

If we spent a first round pick for a tackle in 2012, theoretically, moving Castanzo to right tackle, Jillana to guard, and putting Matt Kalil at LT would make it a top 5 line right away. Theoretically of course.

Ah, the worst draft argument of the Colts forums makes it's return.

We may draft some interior linemen later in the draft, but I promise you we don't take another tackle in the first round. Furthermore, Ijalana spent most his time as a tackle, he backed up our tackles, and was drafted to play tackle. He will play tackle. This isn't Madden, or even college football, where guys can just play anywhere on the line because they did it once in college against nobody defenses, or they are an 85 ovr in the video game.

Ah, the worst draft argument of the Colts forums makes it's return.

We may draft some interior linemen later in the draft, but I promise you we don't take another tackle in the first round. Furthermore, Ijalana spent most his time as a tackle, he backed up our tackles, and was drafted to play tackle. He will play tackle. This isn't Madden, or even college football, where guys can just play anywhere on the line because they did it once in college against nobody defenses, or they are an 85 ovr in the video game.

I don't get it either...at the very least trade back and take David DeCastro or Cordy Glenn...2 guys who have been playing OG and playing it so well they're considered the best prospects at the position. Glenn is 6'5" 348 lbs and has started every game since '09 and he started 10 games in '08. So from that I'd take it that he's durable and he's a veteran in the college ranks. Not saying I want to draft OL in round 1, I'd rather go defense but if they are set on continuing to improve the OL, well it is sound reasoning and I couldn't say it would be a mistake...but at the very least take a guy who plays a position that we need, and in doing so you still acquire some extra picks. :D

I don't get it either...at the very least trade back and take David DeCastro or Cordy Glenn...2 guys who have been playing OG and playing it so well they're considered the best prospects at the position. Glenn is 6'5" 348 lbs and has started every game since '09 and he started 10 games in '08. So from that I'd take it that he's durable and he's a veteran in the college ranks. Not saying I want to draft OL in round 1, I'd rather go defense but if they are set on continuing to improve the OL, well it is sound reasoning and I couldn't say it would be a mistake...but at the very least take a guy who plays a position that we need, and in doing so you still acquire some extra picks. :D

Yeah, it kind of bugs me, too.

Drafting the best OG in the draft makes so much more sense than drafting yet another LT and shuffling everyone around, and hoping they pan out at their new positions.

Yeah, that is a very young line. They may have talent but it will take time for them to gel and learn in the NFL. We are not gonna be able to just draft and plug them in as if they are veterans. This is what I don't get, people say we need to win now with Peyton but advocate relying on a bunch of draft picks to develop.

I do hope it's in a Colts uniform. I don't want to see him going to another team.

Why? He will be old and at some point we need to move on. He gave us a great decade of football, but his time is winding down, I am okay with him for another season or two, but I don't want to see him out there at 38 or 39 or 40 years old in a Colt uniform.

Why? He will be old and at some point we need to move on. He gave us a great decade of football, but his time is winding down, I am okay with him for another season or two, but I don't want to see him out there at 38 or 39 or 40 years old in a Colt uniform.

Because if he gets a clean bill of health, is every bit as good then he is the best choice to get this team back on the winning side.

And how do you know his time is winding down? He may still be the same Peyton two years from now...even three years from now. Why should the Colts trade off the only man who is their only shot at any kind of winning record?

Because if he gets a clean bill of health, is every bit as good then he is the best choice to get this team back on the winning side.

And how do you know his time is winding down? He may still be the same Peyton two years from now...even three years from now. Why should the Colts trade off the only man who is their only shot at any kind of winning record?

Simple answer...AGE. Players don't get better with age, they don't even stay at the same high level. Plus depending on how the draft works out we could have a better younger version on the team.

Simple answer...AGE. Players don't get better with age, they don't even stay at the same high level. Plus depending on how the draft works out we could have a better younger version on the team.

Ah, so that's what it's about.

And they could also have the next Ryan Leaf on their team. What I want is for some other team to draft him, and they play the Colts, and then Peyton just torches that kid on the field. That's what I want.

QB's often get better with age. Elway didn't win a SB until he was 64 years old.

I am ashamed to read this. You all might as well walk up to Peyton Manning and spit on his shoes for talking like this. Do you not realize what he has done for the Colts? You are all just willing to let him go and write him off and hope for his retirement so we can get some kid out of Stanford which plays in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA. Is he going to spend hours reviewing tape or coming up with audibles for certain situations.. is he going to be able to read the defense and expose zone vs man coverage before the ball is even snapped? Is he going to rally in an AFC championship game and take us to the superbowl? We don't even know him... I trust in Peyton. We will become as abysmal as the St. Louis Rams. Sam Bradford was just as hyped as Andrew Luck and now look at him.. hes average and will probably never win a superbowl. All of the over-hyped guys in the draft end up being failures.. example.. Brady Quinn... Matt Leinart.. David Carr.. (remember him) J. Russel.. Vince Young.. I could go on and on and on... Tom Brady was late round 199th overall pick and I don't need to explain anything else.. Arguably he and Peyton are the greatest of our generation. Andrew Luck will be another addition to the long long list of failures that were over hyped. I don't want the Colts to be the victim of a bust like that. What I would like to see... Lets take the 1st overall pick and draft Trent Richardson out of Alabama. We would finally have a star running back to take pressure off of the Colts passing game. The defense is fine.. Let me tell you whats going on with the D. They are not playing. Why should they? They force a 3 and out just to get right back on the field 2 minutes later after Painter blows another drive with a pick or inconsistency... If 18 were playing that defense would be making plays... take the Saints game for example... 63-7... what happened? Well obviously the defense knew it would only be able to stop so much of a saints attack from the air and that the offense would have to score.. (in painter they do not trust.) So why even try when you can't match an offense like that? Lets be honest we have never won games with defense.. we always outscore our opponents with Offense. Now without 18 our way of winning is broken.. its like a v8 engine running on half cylinders. He is 99 percent of the team and it is showing. Lets wait and see... Peyton will be back and back for a while.. lets just not go overboard and talk ourselves into a bust at the QB position.

Ijalana falling down and tearing his ACL on one play is hardly a sign of his ability.

Ah, so that's what it's about.

And they could also have the next Ryan Leaf on their team. What I want is for some other team to draft him, and they play the Colts, and then Peyton just torches that kid on the field. That's what I want.

No question, any draft pick is a risk, just as it is a HUGE risk to actually think Peyont is going to continue to play on a high level as he approaches 40.

I am ashamed to read this. You all might as well walk up to Peyton Manning and spit on his shoes for talking like this. Do you not realize what he has done for the Colts? You are all just willing to let him go and write him off and hope for his retirement so we can get some kid out of Stanford which plays in one of the worst conferences in the NCAA. Is he going to spend hours reviewing tape or coming up with audibles for certain situations.. is he going to be able to read the defense and expose zone vs man coverage before the ball is even snapped? Is he going to rally in an AFC championship game and take us to the superbowl? We don't even know him... I trust in Peyton. We will become as abysmal as the St. Louis Rams. Sam Bradford was just as hyped as Andrew Luck and now look at him.. hes average and will probably never win a superbowl. All of the over-hyped guys in the draft end up being failures.. example.. Brady Quinn... Matt Leinart.. David Carr.. (remember him) J. Russel.. Vince Young.. I could go on and on and on... Tom Brady was late round 199th overall pick and I don't need to explain anything else.. Arguably he and Peyton are the greatest of our generation. Andrew Luck will be another addition to the long long list of failures that were over hyped. I don't want the Colts to be the victim of a bust like that. What I would like to see... Lets take the 1st overall pick and draft Trent Richardson out of Alabama. We would finally have a star running back to take pressure off of the Colts passing game. The defense is fine.. Let me tell you whats going on with the D. They are not playing. Why should they? They force a 3 and out just to get right back on the field 2 minutes later after Painter blows another drive with a pick or inconsistency... If 18 were playing that defense would be making plays... take the Saints game for example... 63-7... what happened? Well obviously the defense knew it would only be able to stop so much of a saints attack from the air and that the offense would have to score.. (in painter they do not trust.) So why even try when you can't match an offense like that? Lets be honest we have never won games with defense.. we always outscore our opponents with Offense. Now without 18 our way of winning is broken.. its like a v8 engine running on half cylinders. He is 99 percent of the team and it is showing. Lets wait and see... Peyton will be back and back for a while.. lets just not go overboard and talk ourselves into a bust at the QB position.

1. Greatness only lasts so long and good teams know when it's time to move on.

2. No Sam Bradford was NOT viewed on the same level as Luck is being viewed on.

3. All teams at some point have to move on....

If we look at Favre, he was fine until the Vikings Line decided that it can't pass block.

If we look at Matt Hasselbeck's decline and resurgence,they are associated with the decline of the offensive line in Seattle and his reemergence in Tennessee with one of the better zone-blocking lines in the league.

The bottom line is that we have to over build the offensive line.

I agree. Everytime I watch Patriots play it amazes me how much time Brady gets to throw. Not to take anything away from Brady, but I wonder how good he would be if he was always running for his life.

1. Greatness only lasts so long and good teams know when it's time to move on.

2. No Sam Bradford was NOT viewed on the same level as Luck is being viewed on.

3. All teams at some point have to move on....

Yes he was.. It's easy to ignore draft hype when you're always have a 12-4 or better season.. It happens EVERY year.. hes just the talk of this year... Last year it was Cam Newton.. year before that was Bradford.. Its as constant as the seaons