Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB & Reich's Offensive Staff

Scott Pennock

CB has said all along he wants a more dynamic offense - and for those that read the breakdown of our 4th Quarter predictability last year - I think we can see why. Holy smokes that was some JV level play calling nonsense!!!!!!

Enter Frank Reich and the staff, but more importantly the PHILOSOPHY he wants to bring to the Colts offense - besides the aggressive and attacking style.

The first thing to acknowledge is the systems he has been involved with as a player and coach:

Player - K-Gun with the Bills.

Coach - Tom Moore's offense in Indy. Coach - Norv Turner's offense in SD. Coach - Andy Reid's (via Pederson) offense in Philly.

Those 4 stops by themselves lend themselves to being an aggressive, multi layered passing attack.

Now he brings in Sirianni (QC coach under Andy Reid), Manning (successful college OC) and Brady (successful CFL OC under Trestman) to be coordinators/position coaches. At the moment we still don't have a RB or WR coach.....but I'm sure there will beca pattern.

Reich said that the thing he values the most is the team efforts of the staff to build the play sheet each week (even though he'll call the plays). A successful OC from college, mixed with a successful OC from the CFL mixed with Sirianni plus his own offensive experiences lends itself to some innovative plays that attack defenses at every level WITH some deception built in with formations and personnel packages.

I for one am liking what CB & FR are doing to put together this staff by pulling talented minds from different places and not just recycling old 'known' coaches....

I like that we also have a collective of offensive line coaches. The offensive ineptitude this team has shown for the past couple years was disheartening to say the least. We played maybe 3-4 4 quarter games during Pagano's tenure. We either did good in the first half (2016 & 17) or had to come back and win in the 2nd half (2012-2015). 

You're absolutely correct 88....almost all of the coaches have had experience with coaching the O-Line too. 

Thanks for catching that!

In an important year to draft we have a new offensive coach and defensive coach that coached at the Shrine game and saw draftable and priority free agents first hand!

I was going to start a post like this but was afraid it would be too long winded.  

Look ok at the offensive coaches Frank has assembled.    Listen to his pressers    He is buildining a diverse group of talent that has the ability to build a game plan that will be unpredictable.  

I will go down in flames saying that Frank was the best hire the Colts have ever made.   Bash me if he fails but I am all in on Frank.  He was my first choice.  And I'm sticking with it 

I am pretty much optimistic most of the time but I am taking caution on this happening as quick as some seen to think. There are not too many teams in the past that has gone through what this team has gone through and it not take 2 or 3 years to build a playoff team capable of being competitive.

I have read quite a few comments about this team being back on the top of their division as soon as next season. I am sorry, I am not that optimistic. We don't have a clue on what this coaching staff will do. On paper things seem to look good but the reality of it all is it's entirely way too soon to assume anything.

I find it strange that everyone is in agreement this roster has some serious needs before we will start winning but yet the old coaching staff was expected to make winners out of them and when it didn't happen it was all their fault.

I'm hoping to see some creativity that's been missing since Peyton left. Lots of bright young minds. Hopefully they're able to bring some innovative ideas with them.

One quote I loved that Reich gave is when he said they're looking for ideas and they don't care who delivers it. All good ideas will be accounted for. That gives me hope that we'll see an exciting offense that's difficult to stop for defenses. 

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

7th year in the league learning his 4th playbook now? I hope things go well next season. We have a lot to prove. 

Luck learning a new playbook is really what you're concerned about?  Looks like the colts finally found Andrew coaches who realize he's not Darrell Lamonica and it's not 1970.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Luck learning a new playbook is really what you're concerned about?  Looks like the colts finally found Andrew coaches who realize he's not Darrell Lamonica and it's not 1970.

I’m going to point of the fact the guy himself has admitted to forgetting plays at the line of scrimmage. Also the fact the organization has failed him in the past 7 years. No cause for concern as you say.

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

This statement belongs on Mt. Rushmore.
All that i have witnessed is a QB that thinks he is Lamonica.
And is totally lacking throwing into tight windows.
New receivers, new route patterns. It should take a couple seasons to get everyone on the same page and running a sharp offense, and for LUCKY to become something close to the Pocket QB he was Hyped to be.
 If you haven't read the post SB sports Illustrated articles on the one on Foles, you are missing an Amazing insight into how the creative process worked for finding new plays each week. The most interesting of such i have ever read.
 And Frank will bring that here. :rock:

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

I’m going to point of the fact the guy himself has admitted to forgetting plays at the line of scrimmage. Also the fact the organization has failed him in the past 7 years. No cause for concern as you say.

I don't know if you are right or wrong but when has Luck admitted to forgetting plays at the line of scrimmage

7 hours ago, a06cc said:

Yeah, those guys are gone.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am pretty much optimistic most of the time but I am taking caution on this happening as quick as some seen to think. There are not too many teams in the past that has gone through what this team has gone through and it not take 2 or 3 years to build a playoff team capable of being competitive.

I have read quite a few comments about this team being back on the top of their division as soon as next season. I am sorry, I am not that optimistic. We don't have a clue on what this coaching staff will do. On paper things seem to look good but the reality of it all is it's entirely way too soon to assume anything.

I find it strange that everyone is in agreement this roster has some serious needs before we will start winning but yet the old coaching staff was expected to make winners out of them and when it didn't happen it was all their fault.

We were 2-14 and went to 11-5 when we brought Luck in.  Our team now is no worse than the 2-14 team Luck inherited.  I appreciate what Brisset did last year, but I think our offense was operating totally different than it would have been had we had a healthy Luck.

The Jags are the real deal (IMO), but I am not sold on Titans or Texans (they are better than they were, but nothing great).  A healthy Luck, an improved coaching staff, and hopefully some luck with health (a healthy Geathers and Hooker all year and we have a heckuva safety duo... a healthy Anderson along with Hankins and others and we have a pretty darn good interior DL... a healthy Mewhort (if he comes back, I doubt he does) and we don't have a terrible interior OL... etc.) and a few additions and this team isn't that far out from being a contender again.

14 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'm hoping to see some creativity that's been missing since Peyton left. Lots of bright young minds. Hopefully they're able to bring some innovative ideas with them.

One quote I loved that Reich gave is when he said they're looking for ideas and they don't care who delivers it. All good ideas will be accounted for. That gives me hope that we'll see an exciting offense that's difficult to stop for defenses. 

In all fairness, the past 2 years have mostly been played with back-up QBs.  Luck is a once in a generation QB, so it is pretty difficult to tell if we would have had a few more wrinkles in the offense.  That aside, I think it was time for a change in Indy.  Reich showed last year his ability to adapt going from Wentz (I'd say he's more similar to Luck than Foles) to Foles and keeping the offense going very well.  Exciting times.