Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck rehab nugget

Colt.45

Par Albert Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/22/free-agent-tampering-period-agents-players-mmqb

Colts QB Andrew Luck didn’t just start his rehab work with throwing coaches Tom House and Adam Dedeaux in Orange County. I understand their first session was the day before the Super Bowl (almost three weeks ago), and that was after Luck got a physical assessment out there. Is that good news? Well, yes, in that he’s been out there awhile without a setback.

That story from the agent is fascinating....excellent sports journalism. I would love to be in on that action.

But now I am really intrigued about who that player is. There are several clues in there. I am going to do some investigative work at lunch and report back.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

That leads me to think even heavier that Luck rushed his rehab last year

The FaceTime interview luck had with Peter King all but confirmed this notion. Appeared to me he skipped steps to get back sooner even though the season was lost. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

That leads me to question did he rush his rehab? or did the front office rush him? There was that time during the off season that Irsay was seeming a little worried that his season ticket holders would not be taking their tickets so he was assuring that Luck would be on the field in 2017. Now I am not saying that was the case, but makes me think that maybe they tried rushing him. either way, it looks like they're handling it better this time around and he is making good progress it seems. 

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

33 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

The FaceTime interview luck had with Peter King all but confirmed this notion. Appeared to me he skipped steps to get back sooner even though the season was lost. 

I'm not sure why anyone thinks Luck skipped steps or rushed his recovery last year?

The comments he made with King were the same ones he made in every interview he gave last year.    Ballard made them too. 

I'm not sure how you guys are connecting dots and concluding that he rushed back?

Luck is nothing if not methodical....

The process is working this time around because he's doing different steps now (physical therapy in Europe and working with throwing coach) that it's not clear he did a year ago.

Different approach, better results.

10 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Nah, the European doctors are a bit smarter on this particular injury

than our American doctors. Just ask Drew Brees.

I agree. I think the mental side of the discussion, is more accurate. I think it truly shocked his world when serious pain came and he lost weight and tone. Your first experience of serious doubt about your health is not a quick repair. Looks as though he has gotten there though. I am pretty excited. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure why anyone thinks Luck skipped steps or rushed his recovery last year?

The comments he made with King were the same ones he made in every interview he gave last year.    Ballard made them too. 

I'm not sure how you guys are connecting dots and concluding that he rushed back?

The process is working this time around because he's doing different steps now (physical therapy in Europe and working with throwing coach) that it's not clear he did a year ago.

I’m not insinuating that luck took this haphazard approach into his rehab on the last go around, just the way he emphasized the not skipping any steps part stood out to me. 

He he mentioned that he has to refrain himself from picking up a ball and slinging it and to really take his time....

to answer your question NCF, how he phrased things jut seemed like something may have been left out on his last attempt on coming back. 

Agree with your statement on different approach, better results. 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

because of the words he used this time.  He said that he has learned that he cant skip steps in the rehab....  That makes it sound like he tried too at some point. 

I am sure no one cares, but through extensive detective work, I figured out who the agent and player is from the article. My day is now complete.

Agent - David Canter

Player - Olivier Vernon

How I figured it out:

• Contract was a few years ago...which puts us in the 2014-2016 range. 
  • Contract was obviously large, according to the quotes and references throughout the article. And obviously the player was a top FA who had several teams interested. Vernon fits that bill. 
  • Contract was a three-year outlay...which is a reference to structure, not length. Vernon's contract has a potential out after three years.
  • Player's original team plays AFC Team 1 on an early October Sunday...and one of AFC Team 1's coordinators, who had previously coached the player, makes comment about keeping the player fresh and that they are coming for him. AFC Team 1 is the NYJ, who MIA played on Sunday, October 4, 2015. The NYJ's DC that season was Kacy Rodgers, who was Vernon's DL coach at MIA from 2012-14.  
  • Player ultimately signed with NFC Team 5. And according to this article, the final three teams in on the player were AFC Team 1, AFC Team 3 and NFC Team 5. Reportedly, the final three teams in on Vernon were the NYJ (AFC Team 10, JAC (AFC Team 3) and NFC Team 5...the NYG.

Best part of the article...AFC Team 3's GM (presumably David Caldwell) laments not drafting the player despite his analytics department loving the player...and admits to "fouling it up." Sure enough, Vernon was picked at #72 in the 2012 NFL Draft...and JAC (AFC Team 3) had #70. But who they used it on makes this anecdote absolutely priceless.