Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers v.s. Patriots

Chrisaaron1023

3 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Patriots lose!

And the Bills beat the Falcons in Atlanta! Granted, it took Julio Jones getting injured (and Sanu I think) but 3-1!

Your defense is legit....it's going to be a struggle all year to score points but at least you have something to hang your hat on.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, 19colt said:

Did BB get one wrong in letting go of Blount? He had a huge day today. 

Gillisee has played well imo. I think they would have liked to bring Blount back but at a much cheaper cost and someone was willing to pay him. Honestly they don't have a problem with the running game...the defense is pretty much a disaster though. Considering the offense scores like 30 pts a game they only need like 3 stops a game and they would be fine...but they can't seem to get off the field on 3rd down.

Blount did look good though...once he gets a full head of steam he is tough to bring down. I just figure it is only a matter of time before he starts showing up late or gets busted with weed and then back on the market though.

15 hours ago, 19colt said:

Did BB get one wrong in letting go of Blount? He had a huge day today. 

Not unless he can play in the secondary. :lol:

This is bad. Like historically bad. With the personnel they have at corner and safety there is no excuse/reason for their defense to be this terrible. They're setting records here, in all the wrong ways. Belichick better get this sorted out soon or they're going to struggle defensively in every single game they play. Up until yesterday, Carolina had been terrible on offense. The Pats' D was just what the doctor ordered for them. 

42 minutes ago, GoPats said:

This is bad. Like historically bad. With the personnel they have at corner and safety there is no excuse/reason for their defense to be this terrible. They're setting records here, in all the wrong ways. Belichick better get this sorted out soon or they're going to struggle defensively in every single game they play. Up until yesterday, Carolina had been terrible on offense. The Pats' D was just what the doctor ordered for them. 

I think he will. I'm not sure where they are going to generate a pass rush from but the secondary makes no sense...I mean you got veteran guys back there...and pro bowl caliber corners and safeties....its a conundrum honestly. One thing I know is that Bill will get his finger on the problem and make changes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a move or two...he isn't afraid to trade people that is for sure. It's not like it should take a whole lot to turn things around. I mean you guys are scoring 30+ pts a game....a few adjustments and a stiffer redzone defense and you should be able to at least keep teams in the 20s. Tom and that offense puts a lot of pressure on opponents to keep up...a few more stops here and there and you get the Saints outcome. I really thought that defense would be a lot better in the secondary with the additions they made....but maybe Bill saw the writing on the wall as he was trying to move Butler this offseason? You've had a pretty tough schedule but I think adversity actually will strengthen your team. I would be willing to bet by November you guys start getting on a roll if your key guys stay healthy.

I only saw a little bit of the game as I was going back and forth. How have Allen and Dorsett been going...not seem to be getting a lot of targets production. I know its a hard offense to pick up with so many options etc but I would thought they would be involved a bit more. Do you think Belichick makes a move to bolster the defense? Great thing about your division is there clearly isn't an explosive offense anywhere to be found that's for sure.

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think he will. I'm not sure where they are going to generate a pass rush from but the secondary makes no sense...I mean you got veteran guys back there...and pro bowl caliber corners and safeties....its a conundrum honestly. One thing I know is that Bill will get his finger on the problem and make changes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a move or two...he isn't afraid to trade people that is for sure. It's not like it should take a whole lot to turn things around. I mean you guys are scoring 30+ pts a game....a few adjustments and a stiffer redzone defense and you should be able to at least keep teams in the 20s. Tom and that offense puts a lot of pressure on opponents to keep up...a few more stops here and there and you get the Saints outcome. I really thought that defense would be a lot better in the secondary with the additions they made....but maybe Bill saw the writing on the wall as he was trying to move Butler this offseason? You've had a pretty tough schedule but I think adversity actually will strengthen your team. I would be willing to bet by November you guys start getting on a roll if your key guys stay healthy.

I only saw a little bit of the game as I was going back and forth. How have Allen and Dorsett been going...not seem to be getting a lot of targets production. I know its a hard offense to pick up with so many options etc but I would thought they would be involved a bit more. Do you think Belichick makes a move to bolster the defense? Great thing about your division is there clearly isn't an explosive offense anywhere to be found that's for sure.

Allen and Dorsett have been pretty invisible... I think Allen's getting snaps in the two TE set, but he seems to be out there exclusively as a blocker at this point. He's only had a few passes come his way in weeks 1-4 and at least a couple of them were poor throws. Dorsett hasn't made any noticeable impact one way or another. 

If the problem in the secondary was guys getting beat in one-on-one matchups, that would be one thing. But they're not... guys are running free. They have coverage breakdowns left and right. Butler has not looked very good individually, getting torched on a few plays yesterday and in prior weeks. 

The pass rush actually hasn't been THAT awful... Trey Flowers is getting consistent pressure, and the rookie DE they have (Deitrich Wise) has looked really great. Wise actually would have had a sack to end the Panthers' game-winning drive yesterday if Stephon Gilmore didn't get hit with a hands-to-the-face penalty on the play. The Patriots would have gotten the ball back, tied up, with about 2:00 left. Either way though, pass rush or not, they've been so bad in the secondary I'm not sure that it really matters. 

3 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Allen and Dorsett have been pretty invisible... I think Allen's getting snaps in the two TE set, but he seems to be out there exclusively as a blocker at this point. He's only had a few passes come his way in weeks 1-4 and at least a couple of them were poor throws. Dorsett hasn't made any noticeable impact one way or another. 

If the problem in the secondary was guys getting beat in one-on-one matchups, that would be one thing. But they're not... guys are running free. They have coverage breakdowns left and right. Butler has not looked very good individually, getting torched on a few plays yesterday and in prior weeks. 

The pass rush actually hasn't been THAT awful... Trey Flowers is getting consistent pressure, and the rookie DE they have (Deitrich Wise) has looked really great. Wise actually would have had a sack to end the Panthers' game-winning drive yesterday if Stephon Gilmore didn't get hit with a hands-to-the-face penalty on the play. The Patriots would have gotten the ball back, tied up, with about 2:00 left. Either way though, pass rush or not, they've been so bad in the secondary I'm not sure that it really matters. 

Yeah...its been like complete break downs...which is why I think it will get corrected...and yes...I thought you were going to come back and win that game again yesterday...that penalty was dumb. Both Gilmore and Butler haven't been especially great. Guess there is only so much karma to play with and the fortune to win the Texans game was all used up this week. Actually its better they won that game...as KC and Houston are likely playoff teams in the AFC and could affect HFA...where as an nfc loss has less impact. I expect you to win on a short week in Tampa...Bill always has a good game plan on short weeks then he will have a long break to get it all put back together.

13 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Won't make any predictions.. but Tampa is going to be a tough out too.. 

Oh...nothing will be easy...I just think that with a short week to prepare which offense do I have confidence will produce.....Tom will put up 30...can Tampa?? Possibly...but I expect the Pats to win.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...its been like complete break downs...which is why I think it will get corrected...and yes...I thought you were going to come back and win that game again yesterday...that penalty was dumb. Both Gilmore and Butler haven't been especially great. Guess there is only so much karma to play with and the fortune to win the Texans game was all used up this week. Actually its better they won that game...as KC and Houston are likely playoff teams in the AFC and could affect HFA...where as an nfc loss has less impact. I expect you to win on a short week in Tampa...Bill always has a good game plan on short weeks then he will have a long break to get it all put back together.

REALLY dumb penalties on Gilmore yesterday. One was on Carolina's game-winning drive and I think the other was also a 3rd down. 

They're having massive communication issues back there. Seeing some of the stories and shows today showing the highlights (really "lowlights" would be more fitting)... it's really bad! All kinds of breakdowns. I don't know if they're not coaching it up right, or if guys aren't listening, or if guys are "un-coachable" in some sense. I really don't. 

7 hours ago, GoPats said:

I guess my main thought was that Blount is a bruiser and can pick up some tough yards. Therefore, NE could burn some more clock on offense and have the D on the field a little less which would result in a small but potentially measurable improvement. 

I say this as only an extremely passive observer of the Patriots and I have no idea how the current RB's are doing. However, every time I do look at the Pats I seem to see Brady in shotgun play after play. 

On 10/1/2017 at 3:10 PM, buffalo34 said:

None of it matters, Patriots will still win without breaking a sweat.

Not to mention, the Patriots have gotten every break, like Brady's dropped pick in the end zone (get a FG), Gotstowski's 58 yard FG that hits the upright and still goes in, and then Panthers fumble at the Pats 5 yard line, and now the missed extra point.

How did that work out...???

18 hours ago, GoPats said:

REALLY dumb penalties on Gilmore yesterday. One was on Carolina's game-winning drive and I think the other was also a 3rd down. 

They're having massive communication issues back there. Seeing some of the stories and shows today showing the highlights (really "lowlights" would be more fitting)... it's really bad! All kinds of breakdowns. I don't know if they're not coaching it up right, or if guys aren't listening, or if guys are "un-coachable" in some sense. I really don't. 

Not sure...but sometimes you got a guy from a system that just says...you got this man...cover him...and that works....then bring him into a system like NE and they change coverages etc and it just doesn't work out. Its not just been Gilmore though so who knows. Patricia's HC stock has taken a tumble though I'm sure. I don't think its uncoachable...else those guys would be cut or put on the market...or at least you would see NE make a move to bring somebody in to shore stuff up. They responded well in New Orleans with a long lay off between games. I think if they get past Tampa on a short week we will see them have some extra time to correct the issues.

I guess my main thought was that Blount is a bruiser and can pick up some tough yards. Therefore, NE could burn some more clock on offense and have the D on the field a little less which would result in a small but potentially measurable improvement. 

I say this as only an extremely passive observer of the Patriots and I have no idea how the current RB's are doing. However, every time I do look at the Pats I seem to see Brady in shotgun play after play. 

They do run a lot out of that....many times they use the running back to split out to see if the defense is playing man or zone...then motion him back in...often running draws etc out of that. That said their passing game is short and used in the place of running the ball often times. When you have like the most accurate qb of all time and the way they methodically move the ball down the field staying ahead of the sticks as they go they don't have issues with time of possession or controlling the ball....the defense doesn't look tired to me...or over extended...just making dumb mistakes and even missing tackles sometimes which is not like them. People missing assignments is not something that is normal with a BB team. It isn't even so much a lack of talent but just not knowing who to cover and where to be...its shocking really.

Was totally joking with my response before, sorry... the secondary is so bad, it's difficult to focus on any other areas of the team. They've actually been pretty good with their RBs. Gillislee has been dependable and has a little more burst than Blount. White plays a ton of snaps as the passing back, to a point where Lewis only gets about a half dozen snaps a game, and Rex Burkhead's been injured since week 2. 

The offense has been very good, Brady's been mostly sharp... it's really come down to poor secondary play, and breakdowns in pass protection at times. The plays that the Panthers and other teams have made on NE have been guys who were often totally uncovered due to communication breakdowns. 

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure...but sometimes you got a guy from a system that just says...you got this man...cover him...and that works....then bring him into a system like NE and they change coverages etc and it just doesn't work out. Its not just been Gilmore though so who knows. Patricia's HC stock has taken a tumble though I'm sure. I don't think its uncoachable...else those guys would be cut or put on the market...or at least you would see NE make a move to bring somebody in to shore stuff up. They responded well in New Orleans with a long lay off between games. I think if they get past Tampa on a short week we will see them have some extra time to correct the issues.

What's weird is that they signed Gilmore without ever having him in to speak with him. He's obviously talented, but I wonder if he's got what it takes "between the ears." The rest of the secondary (Butler, McCourty, Chung, and Harmon for the most part) are all hold-overs. There's no one new to the team besides Gilmore. So it's hard to look elsewhere. 

We'll see if Belichick and Patricia get this sorted out. I'm sure it'll improve, and you don't want to be playing your best defense of the season in early October, but it's been so historically bad it's tough to keep your finger off the panic button! 

46 minutes ago, GoPats said:

What's weird is that they signed Gilmore without ever having him in to speak with him. He's obviously talented, but I wonder if he's got what it takes "between the ears." The rest of the secondary (Butler, McCourty, Chung, and Harmon for the most part) are all hold-overs. There's no one new to the team besides Gilmore. So it's hard to look elsewhere. 

We'll see if Belichick and Patricia get this sorted out. I'm sure it'll improve, and you don't want to be playing your best defense of the season in early October, but it's been so historically bad it's tough to keep your finger off the panic button! 

Oh...no reason to panic...dang...you got Tom Brady and BB....if you guys start panicking then what reason do the rest of us need. I agree..it was a quick signing...clearly in division they liked him and knew a lot about his ability. That said I could be wrong but I thought Buffalo played a lot of man coverage in the secondary. He always seemed like a sure tackler as well which Bill loves. IDK...he is definitely not come in and fit in for sure. That said you lost Logan Ryans who hasn't shown me much in Tennessee but I was always impressed with how he played in your system. Kinda like Chung...outside it he isn't special but just fits what you want to do in it. I look at Butler and wonder if all the offseason trade talk etc and the fact that Bill clearly was trying to move him and immediately brought in a replacement in Gilmore has tainted the communication back there...maybe some resentment?? IDK...not something you would associate with your team...but then again...giving up 30pts a game isn't either. I think it gets cleaned up in the long run....but you can't afford to lose much more on the offensive side of the ball because the Edelman injury is an important cog that isn't easy to replace. If the offense starts to drop off then you might panic with how the defense is playing. Come December I think the struggles will just be a footnote. Bill will clean it up.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Gramz said:

How did that work out...???

Well, the Patriots are now assured a Super Bowl win. This season is now a perfect parallel to 2014, where the Patriots lost weeks 1 and 4, won in Week 2 in a dominating fashion (MIN in 2014, NO in 2017), won in Week 3 at the very end (stopping the Raiders at the goal line in 2014, getting the winning TD vs HOU in 2017).

This means that they're going to dominate the rest of the season, lose a game to a really good team later on (they lost to the Packers down the road in 2014, didn't mean much since they had a big lead in the AFC and they lost to an NFC Team), and they're going to lose a meaningless game in Week 17 where they take their starters out (lost to the Bills in Week 17, didn't mean anything since the #1 seed was clinched and they rested most of their starters).

So, we're still in for a long season.

2 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

Well, the Patriots are now assured a Super Bowl win. This season is now a perfect parallel to 2014, where the Patriots lost weeks 1 and 4, won in Week 2 in a dominating fashion (MIN in 2014, NO in 2017), won in Week 3 at the very end (stopping the Raiders at the goal line in 2014, getting the winning TD vs HOU in 2017).

This means that they're going to dominate the rest of the season, lose a game to a really good team later on (they lost to the Packers down the road in 2014, didn't mean much since they had a big lead in the AFC and they lost to an NFC Team), and they're going to lose a meaningless game in Week 17 where they take their starters out (lost to the Bills in Week 17, didn't mean anything since the #1 seed was clinched and they rested most of their starters).

You are too much. haha We might be in for a long season, but for different reasons than you suggest. lmao

2 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Quite letting the Patriots dominate your mind.

They have the worst defense in the league and it will end their domination of the AFC. Heck, they only have one more win than the Colts. :D

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They have the worst defense in the league and it will end their domination of the AFC. Heck, they only have one more win than the Colts. :D

Even McCoy looks happy...I mean I've never seen that guy smile at anything...always hating on people....something has changed in the AFC East....and while I still think NE takes the division in the long run because they are just so ahrd to stop on offense...they are beatable...and at least Buffalo is playing well. They could really just use that one more playmaker in the passing game...its funny how sometimes teams make addition through subtraction (Gilmore/Watkins). I think the new coach has them playing hard too. That defense is no joke at all...and if you can run the football and control the clock...your always in the game.

15 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Buf34, you never know what will happen.   The Pats were 2-2 in '10 and '05 and did not win the SB.  

To date, the Pats D looks like the '09-1'2 defense, time will tell if they can turn it around.

Nice to see the Bills at the top of the AFCE.   :)

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Be interesting to find out if the Pats can turn it around like '14 or go the way of the '09-'12 pats where the D was not the best and costs them in key games. 

1 hour ago, Flying Elvis said:

Many of my fellow Pats fans are in panic mode, lol. The team will turn it around or it won't. Either way, it doesn't bother me. I can die happy after they won in 2001. :D

I feel buffalo34's pain. I felt the same way when Jim Kelly and Dan Marino teamed up on us in the 90's.

Very few in this forum remember the days when the Colts and the Patriots were mostly at the bottom of the league.

With that said that kind of explains why some are losing their mind over what is going on with the Colts now.

Very few even remember the Colts and the Patriots were in the same division.

When they started the AFC south division I could never understand why Miami stayed in your guys division when they should have been the one who went to the south division.

5 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Be interesting to find out if the Pats can turn it around like '14 or go the way of the '09-'12 pats where the D was not the best and costs them in key games. 

With only a 1/4 of the season played anything can happen and normally does. haha

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Very few in this forum remember the days when the Colts and the Patriots were mostly at the bottom of the league.

With that said that kind of explains why some are losing their mind over what is going on with the Colts now.

When they started the AFC south division I could never understand why Miami stayed in your guys division when they should have been the one who went to the south division.

Bert Jones to Roger Carr. Steve Grogan to Stanley Morgan. Those were the days.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I've thought about this often.. the Ravens really don't fit. Neither do the Cowboys.. 

On 10/3/2017 at 11:09 AM, dgambill said:

Oh...no reason to panic...dang...you got Tom Brady and BB....if you guys start panicking then what reason do the rest of us need. I agree..it was a quick signing...clearly in division they liked him and knew a lot about his ability. That said I could be wrong but I thought Buffalo played a lot of man coverage in the secondary. He always seemed like a sure tackler as well which Bill loves. IDK...he is definitely not come in and fit in for sure. That said you lost Logan Ryans who hasn't shown me much in Tennessee but I was always impressed with how he played in your system. Kinda like Chung...outside it he isn't special but just fits what you want to do in it. I look at Butler and wonder if all the offseason trade talk etc and the fact that Bill clearly was trying to move him and immediately brought in a replacement in Gilmore has tainted the communication back there...maybe some resentment?? IDK...not something you would associate with your team...but then again...giving up 30pts a game isn't either. I think it gets cleaned up in the long run....but you can't afford to lose much more on the offensive side of the ball because the Edelman injury is an important cog that isn't easy to replace. If the offense starts to drop off then you might panic with how the defense is playing. Come December I think the struggles will just be a footnote. Bill will clean it up.

Last night wasn't perfect but it was definitely better. Most of the yards Winston piled up came when they were in comeback mode. Pats played a lot of zone and tried to keep it simple. That looked a lot more like the "don't give up the big play, make them execute and march downfield" Patriots defense that we're more used to. 

Gilmore did redeem himself a bit last night. Made some nice plays on Mike Evans. Far from great, but definitely a step in the right direction. 

On 10/4/2017 at 6:50 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Rivalries, I'd say. They didn't want to break up the East completely. 

I do remember those days all too well, lol... I'm 45, so I was around for the Hugh Millen Years. :lol:

Actually I remember the '85 team very well. Cinderella story, I think at the time they were the first team to win three road playoff games on route to the Super Bowl. Then they got killed, lol... 

1 minute ago, GoPats said:

Last night wasn't perfect but it was definitely better. Most of the yards Winston piled up came when they were in comeback mode. Pats played a lot of zone and tried to keep it simple. That looked a lot more like the "don't give up the big play, make them execute and march downfield" Patriots defense that we're more used to. 

Gilmore did redeem himself a bit last night. Made some nice plays on Mike Evans. Far from great, but definitely a step in the right direction. 

Hey a win is a win. The only thing I would be concerned about is the hits Tommy is taking. He was getting drilled last night. Not to change the subject but do you think the Sox can tie the series with the Astros? I am not a Sox fan but I picked them to win the AL to take on my Cubs. Indians look unbeatable though :groan: 

4 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Rivalries, I'd say. They didn't want to break up the East completely. 

I do remember those days all too well, lol... I'm 45, so I was around for the Hugh Millen Years. :lol:

Actually I remember the '85 team very well. Cinderella story, I think at the time they were the first team to win three road playoff games on route to the Super Bowl. Then they got killed, lol... 

Yeah you guys too out Marino in 85

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hey a win is a win. The only thing I would be concerned about is the hits Tommy is taking. He was getting drilled last night. Not to change the subject but do you think the Sox can tie the series with the Astros? I am not a Sox fan but I picked them to win the AL to take on my Cubs. Indians look unbeatable though :groan: 

That one toward the end where he got bent forward at the waist was terrifying. :eek:

I'm 45 now and if that happened to me, I'd still be lying there. haha

As for the Sox, I don't actually like their chances in the postseason a whole lot. They have a lot of guys in the rotation who hold up well during the 162 game schedule but who are notoriously bad in the post-season! Even Sale didn't look great yesterday from what I saw. It's all about pitching this time of year, you know? 

1 minute ago, GoPats said:

That one toward the end where he got bent forward at the waist was terrifying. :eek:

I'm 45 now and if that happened to me, I'd still be lying there. haha

As for the Sox, I don't actually like their chances in the postseason a whole lot. They have a lot of guys in the rotation who hold up well during the 162 game schedule but who are notoriously bad in the post-season! Even Sale didn't look great yesterday from what I saw. It's all about pitching this time of year, you know? 

Yeah I thought because of Sale that would give them a boost but he stunk yesterday. Series is still far from over. That hit Tom took reminded me of the one Andrew too against Denver = that last one. Very scary.