Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers v.s. Patriots

Chrisaaron1023

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

Rivalries, I'd say. They didn't want to break up the East completely. 

I do remember those days all too well, lol... I'm 45, so I was around for the Hugh Millen Years. :lol:

Actually I remember the '85 team very well. Cinderella story, I think at the time they were the first team to win three road playoff games on route to the Super Bowl. Then they got killed, lol... 

I remember the Pats team pretty well in 85. Maybe it was just me but I always thought they should have started Grogan in the super bowl. It wouldn't have mattered against those 85 Bears but who knows?

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

Last night wasn't perfect but it was definitely better. Most of the yards Winston piled up came when they were in comeback mode. Pats played a lot of zone and tried to keep it simple. That looked a lot more like the "don't give up the big play, make them execute and march downfield" Patriots defense that we're more used to. 

Gilmore did redeem himself a bit last night. Made some nice plays on Mike Evans. Far from great, but definitely a step in the right direction. 

Indeed. It was a well devised game plan. Jameis is not an accurate thrower...and you just sagged off and made them make accurate throws in tight windows in that zone. They should have ran the ball more honestly. Martin was effective. They want that big play offense and you took it away...said beat us with a bunch of underneath stuff and they just couldn't execute. That wouldn't work against some teams....thinking KC because they like the underneath stuff but it was the right plan for TB. That's why I thought you would rebound. It wasn't so much about Bill fixing it as the fact I knew TB couldn't be disciplined for 4 quarters. It was a very fortunate win...and a nice one without Gronk. Couple kicks one way or another could have changed it. Might be back in first place at the end of the week.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I thought because of Sale that would give them a boost but he stunk yesterday. Series is still far from over. That hit Tom took reminded me of the one Andrew too against Denver = that last one. Very scary.

Yep...it won't be Tom's arm that will fall apart first....it will be accumulation of all the hits and nagging injuries that start to creep up that will slow him down....like Peyton the year before he retired...he was so beat up and bruised and couldn't heal fast enough week to week to sustain that great start he had...by week 10 he was all ready falling apart. That would be a more likely outcome to Tom than just seeing arm strength decline. I mean Brett Favre is like 45 and his arm is probably as strong as ever...its the body. Have to keep an eye on that. I will say Tom is in great shape...if anyone can continue to stay healthy it will be him.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:44 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I remember the Pats team pretty well in 85. Maybe it was just me but I always thought they should have started Grogan in the super bowl. It wouldn't have mattered against those 85 Bears but who knows?

I think a lot of people were pulling for Grogan to start in that one. He had filled in admirably for Eason during the regular season and was a much tougher, old-school type of guy. If I remember right he did come in part way through the game but by then it was over. I think you're right though, I don't think it would have mattered who started that one! The '85 Bears were an historically good D, they weren't gonna lose that game to anyone... 

On 10/6/2017 at 4:09 PM, dgambill said:

Indeed. It was a well devised game plan. Jameis is not an accurate thrower...and you just sagged off and made them make accurate throws in tight windows in that zone. They should have ran the ball more honestly. Martin was effective. They want that big play offense and you took it away...said beat us with a bunch of underneath stuff and they just couldn't execute. That wouldn't work against some teams....thinking KC because they like the underneath stuff but it was the right plan for TB. That's why I thought you would rebound. It wasn't so much about Bill fixing it as the fact I knew TB couldn't be disciplined for 4 quarters. It was a very fortunate win...and a nice one without Gronk. Couple kicks one way or another could have changed it. Might be back in first place at the end of the week.

I have no idea why they didn't lean harder on Martin during that game... he was ripping off what seemed like 5-7 yard runs every carry! 

20 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I have no idea why they didn't lean harder on Martin during that game... he was ripping off what seemed like 5-7 yard runs every carry! 

Yep...he has very good vision...and is a patient runner too when he waits for holes to open up. He can kinda go as the OL goes sometimes but clearly it was working...and you could see a night and day difference with him running vs sims. I started Martin on my fantasy team...I was beyond frustrated obviously. That said there are certain teams that just KNOW how to win...and are comfortable in tight games and execute when they have to. Tom and the Pats are that type of team. TB is just not it. I think you guys had pretty good control of the game even if TB had scored some of those fgs I still think you win...so I don't think the defense sags off as much allowing some garbage yards to Jameis...but still it was a fortunate win without Gronk....and yes its still not totally fixed. The staff has the right game plan...its never been about that...the execution was there tonight...we will see if it continues. Overall by December I think the ship gets righted. As long as Tom isn't so bruised up and beat up he has issues this team will get better and better. Better jump on them early because you guys own Nov/Dec.