Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 NCAA Basketball

3 minutes ago, GOZER said:

They recently did  “An afternoon with Coach Keady and Coach Knight” at The University, didn’t attend, but heard it was pretty neat.

https://www.purdue.edu/convocations/event/an-evening-with-coaches-bob-knight-and-gene-keady/

Yep they’ve gone around the state doing events quite a bit. One at Bloomington South. Bob even had some very nice things to say about Archie and the hire. They joke and get along pretty well. Lot of respect there.

Glory days of State of Indiana basketball. Both raised each other’s level. Knight has criticized a lot of coaches but I don’t think he ever said a bad word about Keady (Purdue some lol) but not Keady. He appreciated how he ran his program..unlike Wooden and some others to the south lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He was having lots of issues with the president and board for the years leading up. He wasn’t getting any support and the president wanted to make a name for himself and the university outside of basketball. He did...then used it to jump into the president of the NCAA...and we saw what he did there. It was all going to end badly when Knight didn’t have any supporters and those that had a relationship with him such that could get him to listen and reign him in. Once all those had left it was a ticking time bomb. He should have left a few years before and work with people he liked and respected like when he went to Texas Tech. Problem was he finally was putting together a great team again and he couldn’t leave them.

A lot of societal changes too. An old General in a new age. He just wouldn’t change his views. Whether he should or shouldn’t that’s for debate but he needed the right people surrounding him and that wasn’t there anymore.

Lots of truth to that for sure. He was so old school and didn't realize a coach has to evolve to continue to do the job at hand. He was brilliant in coaching but bad at adjusting his ability to play the game so to say I guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lots of truth to that for sure. He was so old school and didn't realize a coach has to evolve to continue to do the job at hand. He was brilliant in coaching but bad at adjusting his ability to play the game so to say I guess.

He was still coaching at a high level. Even at Texas Tech...just societal norms etc were changing fast for a guy that started out playing in the days of Woody Hayes and coaching at Army with the rigid authoritarian atmosphere there. His basketball coaching though was on point...still is as most of college basketball uses variations of his motion offense. The Aau and pampered entitled players...yeah that was coming in and he would have issues kissing up to the kids like todays coaches do. He had a wonderful team in 02...wish he got to coach it. They did him proud!

3 hours ago, GOZER said:

They recently did  “An afternoon with Coach Keady and Coach Knight” at The University, didn’t attend, but heard it was pretty neat.

https://www.purdue.edu/convocations/event/an-evening-with-coaches-bob-knight-and-gene-keady/

Joe B. and Denny had a radio show in Louisville/Lexington for years

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 6:00 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Still have my Finals pick alive being Kansas vs Michigan. I am little worried about Kansas vs Duke.

I thought I liked you man.  Kansas?  Come on! lol.  I hate Kansas and they are overrated on a yearly basis, I can't believe they beat Duke. I had Michigan Duke Nova in my final 4.  I hope Nova takes care of Kansas Saturday.  I think they will.  Nova Michigan for the crown!  Loyola has been impressive too, but I think Michigan will be to much.

1 hour ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I thought I liked you man.  Kansas?  Come on! lol.  I hate Kansas and they are overrated on a yearly basis, I can't believe they beat Duke. I had Michigan Duke Nova in my final 4.  I hope Nova takes care of Kansas Saturday.  I think they will.  Nova Michigan for the crown!  Loyola has been impressive too, but I think Michigan will be to much.

Why the Kansas hate? I am not really fan of them but I was just picking who I thought would win it all. Before I did my bracket they looked better to me out of VA, Villanova, and Duke. I was worried about the Duke game because of Coach K but Kansas did enough to win. The Villanova game will be another tough one too. Picking Michigan on the other side was a no brainer to me the way they were playing going in. Oh well, even if I end up wrong I can at least say I had 2 teams make it to the Final 4. Most peoples brackets are ruined by now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why the Kansas hate? I am not really fan of them but I was just picking who I thought would win it all. Before I did my bracket they looked better to me out of VA, Villanova, and Duke. I was worried about the Duke game because of Coach K but Kansas did enough to win. The Villanova game will be another tough one too. Picking Michigan on the other side was a no brainer to me the way they were playing going in. Oh well, even if I end up wrong I can at least say I had 2 teams make it to the Final 4. Most peoples brackets are ruined by now.

I don't hate Kansas, I just think they very overrated on a yearly basis.  I don't know how they even got a 1 seed this year with 7 losses?  I think there the first ever to do that?  They proved themselves by making the final 4 though.  It seems like on a year to year basis multiple people(experts) talk them up and pick them to win it all but yet they've done it once in the past 30 years(because Derrick Rose couldn't make his free throws) lol.  They tend to get upset more than they do win.  I remember Bradley and Northern Iowa beating them a few years back lol.  I think Villanova has the better team, but we'll find out Saturday. I am rooting for Loyola Chicago because there an 11 seed but I think it'll be Nova Michigan in the title game.  I thought Nova would win it all from the beginning, there the most balanced team in the tourney with arguably the best guards. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I don't hate Kansas, I just think they very overrated on a yearly basis.  I don't know how they even got a 1 seed this year with 7 losses?  I think there the first ever to do that?  They proved themselves by making the final 4 though.  It seems like on a year to year basis multiple people(experts) talk them up and pick them to win it all but yet they've done it once in the past 30 years(because Derrick Rose couldn't make his free throws) lol.  They tend to get upset more than they do win.  I remember Bradley and Northern Iowa beating them a few years back lol.  I think Villanova has the better team, but we'll find out Saturday. I am rooting for Loyola Chicago because there an 11 seed but I think it'll be Nova Michigan in the title game.  I thought Nova would win it all from the beginning, there the most balanced team in the tourney with arguably the best guards. 

I wish my team was that overrated. Bill Self has done a wonderful job there.

Last 15 years

14 straight conference titles
8 Elite 8 appearances in 15 years
3 Final Fours
1 Title

To compare...Coach K

3 Conference titles
5 Elite 8s
3 Final Fours
2 Titles

I can only hope Archie could get us to Coach K levels...much less Bill Self levels. Duke lost to Mercer and Lehigh in 2012 and 2014. Lots of great teams get upset....see the whole South bracket this year lol.

Yes...I think Nova is too good. Too many shooters and too much leadership. Just a tough nosed team that any one of them can beat you. If Michigan gets hot they could be dangerous but Nova just seems to be on a mission and solid in all phases of the game..including the free throw line.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Last 15 years

3 Final Fours
1 Title

To compare...Coach K

3 Conference titles
5 Elite 8s
3 Final Fours
2 Titles

I can only hope Archie could get us to Coach K levels...much less Bill Self levels. Duke lost to Mercer and Lehigh in 2012 and 2014. Lots of great teams get upset....see the whole South bracket this year lol.

Yes...I think Nova is too good. Too many shooters and too much leadership. Just a tough nosed team that any one of them can beat you. If Michigan gets hot they could be dangerous but Nova just seems to be on a mission and solid in all phases of the game..including the free throw line.

The Conference Titles are a joke since the Big 12 is KU and everyone else

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

ND only lost by 9 at UConn and had the lead into the 4th 

IU Women's team in the NIT Championship game. Lots of great crowds there at Assembly Hall that hasn't been there in the past for the girls. Seems the new coach has really got those girls playing great. Nice to see Cahill and Buss go out on top. Great group of girls and the young ones starting to come along. The state should have some nice women's teams going forward it looks.

DZacny-X0AATMGE.jpg

28 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Conference Titles are a joke since the Big 12 is KU and everyone else

Yeah they were just 12-6 this year in the tournament and 3 elite eight teams....but sure...just KU.

edit....granted it's no ACC but I think its been better than the SEC and PAC10 and on par with the Big Ten over his time there. To me its impressive in the era of so much parity in college basketball that another senior laden team etc hasn't jumped up and got them. He just broke Wooden's record for most consecutive conference titles.....this isn't the Big Sky conference or something.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

IU Women's team in the NIT Championship game. Lots of great crowds there at Assembly Hall that hasn't been there in the past for the girls. Seems the new coach has really got those girls playing great. Nice to see Cahill and Buss go out on top. Great group of girls and the young ones starting to come along. The state should have some nice women's teams going forward it looks.

DZacny-X0AATMGE.jpg

IU is senior laden 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

IU is senior laden 

Yep...still great to see them turn things around. Penn and Yeaney have really grown a lot this year and they have a very good recruiting class coming in.  They aren't Notre Dame level of course but should be able to compete for the Big Ten and see NCAA births moving forward I think under Moren. She was a good hire I think.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yep...still great to see them turn things around. Penn and Yeaney have really grown a lot this year and they have a very good recruiting class coming in.  They aren't Notre Dame level of course but should be able to compete for the Big Ten and see NCAA births moving forward I think under Moren. She was a good hire I think.

She needs to get the in state kids

she missed out on Jackie Young(who was good friends and AAU teammates with Tyra Buss) and Kaitlyn Gilbert

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

She needs to get the in state kids

she missed out on Jackie Young(who was good friends and AAU teammates with Tyra Buss) and Kaitlyn Gilbert

Yep...like Archie you need to get your own state's best to really get to that next level. She has a couple transfers that will be eligible next year too. Brenda Wise led Pitt in scoring and rebounding her freshman and sophomore year so she should be a big help. Moren has been focused on signing girls from successful High School teams. Winners basically. People that expect to win have that culture already instilled in them...that when it comes down to winning time can make the right play under pressure. Kinda like Loyola has this year. Lots of high school champions on that team...so the moment isn't too big for them and they have winning mentality and have sacrificed to lead their teams. I like that...but yeah in the end Indiana has a wealth of talent in the state. They can't all go to ND lol. (I remember the other girl Ali Patberg 2015 Miss Indiana that went to Notre Dame and tore her knee up)  I just like to see our teams represent themselves well. Would love to see ND win the NCAA tourney and IU win the NIT....be a great year considering both men's teams suffered.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep...like Archie you need to get your own state's best to really get to that next level. She has a couple transfers that will be eligible next year too. She has been focused on signing girls from successful High School teams. Winners basically. People that expect to win have that culture already instilled in them...that when it comes down to winning time can make the right play under pressure. Kinda like Loyola has this year. Lots of high school champions on that team...so the moment isn't too big for them and they have winning mentality and have sacrificed to lead their teams. I like that...but yeah in the end Indiana has a wealth of talent in the state. They can't all go to ND lol. I just like to see our teams represent themselves well. Would love to see ND win the NCAA tourney and IU win the NIT....be a great year considering both men's teams suffered.

Jackie won a state title here in Princeton and KG is from one of the top Indiana HS programs in Heritage Christian 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Jackie won a state title here in Princeton and KG is from one of the top Indiana HS programs in Heritage Christian 

yep....the Indiana women's team isn't on that level yet lol...be nice if they were. For a long time Purdue was up there but now they have fallen off. Both the men's and women's need more local talent!

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Last 15 years

3 Final Fours
1 Title

To compare...Coach K

3 Conference titles
5 Elite 8s
3 Final Fours
2 Titles

As far as being overrated, I didn't mean during the regular season.  They usually choke in the tournament.  There always hyped to win the whole thing, seems like every year.  My point is they've done that once in the past 30 years.  Sure the few final fours and one title is nice.  A lot of colleges would kill for that.  I'd sure hope they could get to the Elite 8 more times than none as a #1 or #2 seed on a year to year basis.  This was the first year the Big 12 did decent in the tournament in I don't know how long, usually there out pretty fast, so I'd hope they could win there conference title more times than not.  With that being said, I think Bill Self has done a nice job there.  Nothing against him or the players, I just think come tournament time there one of those teams who tend to get upset more times than not.   Last year they lost to #3 Oregon by 20, they've got upset by Bradley in the first Round, Northern Iowa in the 2nd round among others. 

When people define overrated it depends on one's definition. Were the Colts overrated from 2003-2009 when they went 89-23 but only won 1 SB, we did go to 2 SB's and 3 Final 4's in that time frame? Many think so but to me winning 1 SB had a lot to do with losing to the Pats in 2003 and 2004. They were just the better team both years. In 2009 we just played a Bad game vs the Saints but in a 1 game situation that happens sometimes like the Pats laying an egg twice vs the Giants.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When people define overrated it depends on one's definition. Were the Colts overrated from 2003-2009 when they went 89-23 but only won 1 SB, we did go to 2 SB's and 3 Final 4's in that time frame? Many think so but to me winning 1 SB had a lot to do with losing to the Pats in 2003 and 2004. They were just the better team both years. In 2009 we just played a Bad game vs the Saints but in a 1 game situation that happens sometimes like the Pats laying an egg twice vs the Giants.

Yeah hard to say. They’ve been to just as many final fours as Duke and and 3 more elite 8s. Unc, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky have clearly been the most successful schools in the last decade and a half. The thing is when it’s one and done the best team doesn’t always win. It’s not a series like MLB or NBA. I would kill to have IU at the level KU is at....and apparently a lot of other schools are willing to break the rules to get there too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah hard to say. They’ve been to just as many final fours as Duke and and 3 more elite 8s. Unc, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky have clearly been the most successful schools in the last decade and a half. The thing is when it’s one and done the best team doesn’t always win. It’s not a series like MLB or NBA. I would kill to have IU at the level KU is at....and apparently a lot of other schools are willing to break the rules to get there too.

I am not sure IU will ever get back to the Knight days? I hope so. When we had Oladipo and Zeller it looked great but we only made the Sweet 16. Crean did ok but he wasn't Bobby. Now I have no idea what IU is doing with this new Coach :dunno:

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure IU will ever get back to the Knight days? I hope so. When we had Oladipo and Zeller it looked great but we only made the Sweet 16. Crean did ok but he wasn't Bobby. Now I have no idea what IU is doing with this new Coach :dunno:

They will get better. He already has some of the best high school players in Indiana coming in next year and good shot in 19. Playing with Creans scrubs last year I thought we overachieved. That was about as bad a team I’ve seen since Samson left us. Archie is a good coach. We should make some good strides next couple years and hopefully he will be able to coach a team over the hump unlike Crean.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Go ND Go

I was thinking about you, PT...

Jackie Young........UConn let her shoot.....they don't think she could beat them...

Norte Dame beats UConn (36-0) with just 6 healthy players.....I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it...

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Jackie Young........UConn let her shoot.....they don't think she could beat them...

Norte Dame beats UConn (36-0) with just 6 healthy players.....I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it...

It is a very happy household and community right now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

ND has seven Scholarship players but do not use Danielle Patterson all the time

They had

2 Transfers(Erin Boley and Ali Patberg)

4 ACL Injuries(Turner, Johnson, Vaughn, and Thompson)

Jackie Young, Kat Westbeld, and Jess Sheppard have had some form injury as well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is a very happy household and community right now

Congrats! I was rooting for them and for you last night. I checked online and saw that ND was up by 10 at one point early on. I was disappointed when I checked again and they were down by 6 or so with four plus minutes. I turned off the TV and hoped ND would come back. I am glad they won. I am tired of UConn winning all the time.

• Like 1

That was an awesome game and awesome win for ND. Representing the Hoosier state! Hope they can finish this off now. Seems like when you pull off the big upset its that next game there is a let down. I don't think these girls let that happen but I know they are out(manned). Go Irish!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

ND has seven Scholarship players but do not use Danielle Patterson all the time

They had

2 Transfers(Erin Boley and Ali Patberg)

4 ACL Injuries(Turner, Johnson, Vaughn, and Thompson)

Jackie Young, Kat Westbeld, and Jess Sheppard have had some form injury as well

.......What struck me is that they continued to play a counter-punching  (sometimes half court  sometimes fast break) style even though they had limited personell

Connecticut had much more depth but they didn't use it..

Why they did not pressure ND to speed up the game...knowing they only had 6 or 7 usable players, I am not sure..

But ND got a lot off layups off multiple pass plays that UConn looked like they hadn't seen before

ND seemed overmatched fir awhile in the regional final, too,...but they just ddint lpanci when they fell behind...

The one thing the girls tournament has over the boys is: The top seeds eventually meet in the girls playoffs

Makes for a better tournement