Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen struggling in New England so far

AZColt11

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, and they're on the hook for his contract too, so if they cut him they eat his salary. Thanks for that 4th rounder though!

You mean Hoody might have made a mistake?  I thought God (Belichick) knew everything?  :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You mean Hoody might have made a mistake?  I thought God (Belichick) knew everything?  :D

He's made a lot of mistakes. He's signed Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth, Tim Tebow, Joseph Addai, Reggie Wayne, that Olympian sprinter guy, and probably so many others... all of them did jack squat. I swear half the time I think he makes these signings so his team can draw headlines because they always need to be on NFL.com's home page.

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They have a stacked team, so they can afford to make a mistake from time to time. However, most of the Pats fans I know though are a little uneasy about this one though, because they don't have much proven TE depth behind Allen. They brought him in to replace Martellus Bennett, and so far it's not looking good.

46 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They have a stacked team, so they can afford to make a mistake from time to time. However, most of the Pats fans I know though are a little uneasy about this one though, because they don't have much proven TE depth behind Allen. They brought him in to replace Martellus Bennett, and so far it's not looking good.

I don't really understand why Allen started dropping passes after how well he did in 2014 catching 8 TDs. He also averaged 13.6 yards per catch. Both him and Fleener played well that year.

Strange how things can change quickly.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't really understand why Allen started dropping passes after how well he did in 2014 catching 8 TDs. He also averaged 13.6 yards per catch. Both him and Fleener played well that year.

my take on this is that its a matter of injuries catching up to him

he was really good for a year or two, then missed some time and wasnt the same imo

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

FWIW he had the same amount of TDs as Hilton did last year.

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

FWIW he had the same amount of TDs as Hilton did last year.

Yes but Hilton led the league in yardage even though he had a pretty high drop rate. I guess that is what happens when Luck forced fed him all season. Hopefully with better O-line play that will change this season.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:21 AM, AZColt11 said:

According to a source from camp, Belichick ripped into Allen after numerous drops, Belichick shouted to him “This isn’t Indy, those drops matter here”.

This may be my most favorite quote ever from Belichick. Damn right, this isn’t Indy, we don’t hang participation banners, this is the big show. If you can’t get on the same page, you sit, or better yet, get cut.

http://www.offthemonstersports.com/2017/06/belichick-telling-former-colts-te-dwayne-allen-who-struggled-with-drops-this-isnt-indy-pumps-me-up/

With Bill and Tom yelling things like that at him all the time...don't be surprised if Allen's ego doesn't get DEFLATED

17 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

He's made a lot of mistakes. He's signed Ochocinco, Albert Haynesworth, Tim Tebow, Joseph Addai, Reggie Wayne, that Olympian sprinter guy, and probably so many others... all of them did jack squat. I swear half the time I think he makes these signings so his team can draw headlines because they always need to be on NFL.com's home page.

thing is they all cost next to nothing in $$.

its the cost of constantly looking for diamonds in the rough.  You bring in as many low risk/high reward guys as you can and hope a few stick each time.  By its nature youre going to have a good number of failures.

For every failure you listed above, there's a success like Welker, Edelman, Dion Lewis, Butler, Ninkovich, Blount

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Re-read my comment, I accidentally hit submit before I added the video.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i know, but 3 came against the jets and they just didnt cover him on two of them

i could have caught those

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone can in the backyard.    

i can catch a wide open pass on the field too, doesnt really matter where it is

playing in the nfl or nba is obviously hard, but making a wide open shot on the court or catching a wide open pass isnt something only athletes can do

i do think allen was a good player at one time, but he fell off probably due to injuries

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Grigson kept the wrong tightend a couple of years ago and if Allen washes out in New England that will further prove it.

He should have let both walk back when they were UFA, signed Doyle to be number #1 then sign a blocking TE.  Looking back, the Fleener and Allen picks, the first picks of the second and third round the year we drafted Andrew, did not produce like they should have. 

18 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

He'll sink or swim with the Patriots. It's that simple. That franchise doesn't tolerate players who don't do their jobs

What will be a rude awakening for Allen is the difference in cardio. Belichick always prides his team on intense cardio, which is a reason they do so well in the 4th Q, are less susceptible to injuries, and were able to outlast the Falcons. I hope Allen enjoys counting all those miles, cause they're going to pile up, fast.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

What will be a rude awakening for Allen is the difference in cardio. Belichick always prides his team on intense cardio, which is a reason they do so well in the 4th Q, are less susceptible to injuries, and were able to outlast the Falcons. I hope Allen enjoys counting all those miles, cause they're going to pile up, fast.

We'll truly see what Dwayne is made of

13 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

We'll truly see what Dwayne is made of

I think the high cardio is a reason some of these players fizzle out when they make it to New England, because they're too acclimated to their former teams. From what I've read, it's intense.

20 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I think the high cardio is a reason some of these players fizzle out when they make it to New England, because they're too acclimated to their former teams. From what I've read, it's intense.

When a player goes to a franchise that doesn't tolerate anything but winning, it's gonna be an adjustment. And as you said, cardio has a lot to do with winning all the time. Every team is tired in the 4th quarter. It comes down to the one team that makes plays when it matters. That's the New England Patriots

On June 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM, 21isSuperman said:

Insignificant.  Even if he catches every pass thrown his way, he'll still land on IR in week 4.

Ouch, but then I thought 21 is absolutely right. Dwayne has a knack for getting nicked up. 

On June 10, 2017 at 2:20 AM, AZColt11 said:

Noone has ever seen them at the same time.

That is true AZC. Maybe somebody should fly Samuel L. Jackson to Boston & see if BB recoils in fear. 

"Revenge Of The Sith" reference. Just Kidding! 

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

It comes down to the one team that makes plays when it matters. That's the New England Patriots

I don't know. Baltimore & Joe Flacco always give NE a run for their money in the playoffs. That's the 1 team who doesn't fall prey to the grey hoodie intimidation at all. 

On June 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM, ReMeDy said:

Well technically, Reggie Wayne quit & was allowed to keeping his signing bonus. [A nice gesture by BB & Robert Kraft.] Tim Tebow was released after the 3rd wave of cuts & never made the opening day roster. [Bill just brought him in as a favor to Josh McDaniels.] 

I'm with ya on Chad Johnson. That was a rare blunder by Bill. No question. I still scratch my head that he never had Ocho Cinco run routes & workout before signing him to test how well he picked up their schemes & formations overall first. He learned his lesson after that though to his credit. 

I actually forget that Albert Haynesworth was a Patriot briefly until you mentioned it. I just remember him being way out of shape when Mike Shanahan was the HC there for the Redskins. 

22 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

He'll sink or swim with the Patriots. It's that simple. That franchise doesn't tolerate players who don't do their jobs

Simply put, Brady won't tolerate drops with perfect placement & touch on them. Allen will learn that really bleeping quick. I always stood up for him as a Colt. Honestly, I don't see him being on NE's roster this yr unless Bill loves his blocking on running plays.

He won't waste a roster spot just on that component though. He expects his TE's to catch & block equally well all game long. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I don't know. Baltimore & Joe Flacco always give NE a run for their money in the playoffs. That's the 1 team who doesn't fall prey to the grey hoodie intimidation at all. 

While it's true the Ravens are the one team that stands up against them, they're not a consistent enough threat year in and year out

36 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Simply put, Brady won't tolerate drops with perfect placement & touch on them. Allen will learn that really bleeping quick. I always stood up for him as a Colt. Honestly, I don't see him being on NE's roster this yr unless Bill loves his blocking on running plays.

He won't waste a roster spot just on that component though. He expects his TE's to catch & block equally well all game long. 

Dwayne Allen has all the potential as a great TE in the NFL. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy and he's not consistent

5 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Dwayne Allen has all the potential as a great TE in the NFL. He just hasn't been able to stay healthy and he's not consistent

How many yrs did we say that in INDY? It felt like every yr he was here. It's just our luck that now Dwayne would finally stay on the field for 16 weeks going to our arch nemesis. 

Past history dictates future outcomes though. So, this revitalized, groundbreaking TE will never emerge IMO. 

Just now, southwest1 said:

How many yrs did we say that in INDY? It felt like every yr he was here. It's just our luck that now Dwayne would finally stay on the field for 16 weeks going to our arch nemesis. 

Past history dictates future outcomes though. So, this revitalized, groundbreaking TE will never emerge IMO. 

History repeats itself. That I agree with you. You can go through a whole list of players that had great potential and never maximized it

13 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

While it's true the Ravens are the one team that stands up against them, they're not a consistent enough threat year in and year out

The other weird thing is the Dolphins. They can't beat anybody else, but they usually play the Patriots tough. 

I actually like the job Adam Gase is doing in Miami though. He's definitely brought a stiff upper lip to the Fins. 

5 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

You can go through a whole list of players that had great potential and never maximized it

Very true, I just think nagging injuries will get him cut in NE. If I'm wrong, I will publicly apologize to Allen on the forum, but I doubt that I am. 

He's a talented big man who could be deadly on intermediate routes for Brady. I'm not rooting against him just being practical that's all. Injuries increase as you age not decline. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

The other weird thing is the Dolphins. They can't beat anybody else, but they usually play the Patriots tough. 

I actually like the job Adam Gase is doing in Miami though. He's definitely brought a stiff upper lip to the Fins. 

Dolphins usually play them well at home. I think they have a good team but it'll take a lot to dethrone the Patriots

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Very true, I just think nagging injuries will get him cut in NE. If I'm wrong, I will publicly apologize to Allen on the forum, but I doubt that I am. 

He's a talented big man who could be deadly on intermediate routes for Brady. I'm not rooting against him just being practical that's all. Injuries increase as you age not decline. 

I'm not making excuses for him. You can go through a whole list of players and he would be on it right now. I'm not sure he'll survive either. There's a big difference playing for Belichick than Pagano