Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Far will Colts Go?

AustexColt

There are alot of pundits during this preseason that have some opinion and slant, but in my viewpoint it is the Colts players that really know what we have. The veteran players like Jon Bostic, Sean Spence, Jonathan Harkins, Kendall Langford, Vontae Davis, Andrew Luck, AC, Frank Gore. These guys have seen alot and have a very good feel about the team's chances to make it to the dance. 

Everyone gets optimistic during the preseason but by Wk 1, those players have a pretty good idea. GM and coaches live off HOPE and OPTIMISM, while those players live off REALITY. They know when the rubber meets the road. 

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

There are alot of pundits during this preseason that have some opinion and slant, but in my viewpoint it is the Colts players that really know what we have. The veteran players like Jon Bostic, Sean Spence, Jonathan Harkins, Kendall Langford, Vontae Davis, Andrew Luck, AC, Frank Gore. These guys have seen alot and have a very good feel about the team's chances to make it to the dance. 

Everyone gets optimistic during the preseason but by Wk 1, those players have a pretty good idea. GM and coaches live off HOPE and OPTIMISM, while those players live off REALITY. They know when the rubber meets the road. 

Ya well I don't think we are a contender this year I think we are about a year away.

Until we stop getting off to slow starts and completely get rid of Pagano, we aren't going anywhere but maybe the wildcard round. We can sometimes start off slow and comeback vs the weak teams, but it won't work against any sort of team who's a threat, especially in the playoffs. We all know that's what would happen in the playoffs as well. I'm keeping my hopes high for all the new players (especially the rookies), but not expecting anything but a 1st round playoff exit until we get rid of Pagano. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Until we stop getting off to slow starts and completely get rid of Pagano, we aren't going anywhere but maybe the wildcard round. We can sometimes start off slow and comeback vs the weak teams, but it won't work against any sort of team who's a threat, especially in the playoffs. We all know that's what would happen in the playoffs as well. I'm keeping my hopes high for all the new players (especially the rookies), but not expecting anything but a 1st round playoff exit until we get rid of Pagano. 

Kudos young blood!  The lethargic starts have killed this team!!!  While I admire the "come backs", does it have to be every game?????  Being facetious of course....but seriously 4 quarters!

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

THIS

Record wise, I say anything between 8-8 and 11-5, and anywhere between 3rd to 1st in the division.

We still don't know about these rookies quite yet, and Andrew is still on the mend right now.

Talent wise, really this team is about 5-11, but I say Luck automatically gets them to 8-8. 

Meanwhile if the Oline clicks, we get some good production from new guys on D (Hankins, Sheard, Hooker, one of the ILBs) and they stay relatively healthy, they could push 11 wins.

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

Record wise, I say anything between 8-8 and 11-5, and anywhere between 3rd to 1st in the division.

We still don't know about these rookies quite yet, and Andrew is still on the mend right now.

Talent wise, really this team is about 5-11, but I say Luck automatically gets them to 8-8. 

Meanwhile if the Oline clicks, we get some good production from new guys on D (Hankins, Sheard, Hooker, one of the ILBs) and they stay relatively healthy, they could push 11 wins.

The talent is definitely good enough to be 11-5 if the FA's and rookie class hit to an extent. It's all based on Luck (no pun intended), whether we have a chance to get there though. Him and the ability to get rid of the slow starts. We'll at least see if they were based on Luck's injury or if it's 100% on Pagano. One thing I know is that both Luck and Pagano said they need to make adjustments last year after losses and it never happened. Is that because Luck was hurt or because Pagano is incompetent as a coach? There definitely weren't adjustments because the same time every game, the exact same gameplan consistently happened. It's not like an adjustment was made, we got off to a quicker start and there was a problem elsewhere. It was the slow starts every time. 11 out of 16 games last year we scored 3 points or less in the first quarter. What does that tell you?

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We can sometimes start off slow and comeback vs the weak teams, but it won't work against any sort of team who's a threat, especially in the playoffs. We all know that's what would happen in the playoffs as well.

Bingo! This is what I meant the other day when I said I respected you because you had the confidence to address the elephant in the room: Slow starts & basically, a failure to make adjustments in a timely fashion at least after halftime anyway. I think you were also the one Jared who said in the past that INDY fans struggle to constructively criticize whatever active head coach we have swearing blind allegiance to them until they are let go. All true.

It's a difficult balancing act as a fan because you wanna be supportive & not hang anybody out to dry prematurely & God knows recliner management of the Colts organization from a distance looks easy as hades, but in reality it's not. 

Look, I know you know that & I respect that fact that you're usually ahead of the curve meaning you see things faster than most fans do. I'm talking about how far we are from another Championship & what moves are required in order to make that a plausible reality. I guess what I'm saying is I respect your knack for saying unpopular things or things we wish weren't true, but they are regarding INDY as a team. Could Pagano have a remarkable yr? Sure. Is that likelihood high? Don't bet the ranch on that. 

I get both sides. Keeping Chuck or releasing him after this yr. I guess what I'm saying is this: I admire your convictions & bravery because I know you just want INDY to win more bling & because of that I will always defend you because it take guts to go against the masses & face intense heat. Keep speaking the truth Jared. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Bingo! This is what I meant the other day when I said I respected you because you had the confidence to address the elephant in the room: Slow starts & basically, a failure to make adjustments in a timely fashion at least after halftime anyway. I think you were also the one Jared who said in the past that INDY fans struggle to constructively criticize whatever active head coach we have swearing blind allegiance to them until they are let go. All true.

It's a difficult balancing act as a fan because you wanna be supportive & not hang anybody out to dry prematurely & God knows recliner management of the Colts organization from a distance looks easy as hades, but in reality it's not. 

Look, I know you know that & I respect that fact that you're usually ahead of the curve meaning you see things faster than most fans do. I'm talking about how far we are from another Championship & what moves are required in order to make that a plausible reality. I guess what I'm saying is I respect your knack for saying unpopular things or things we wish weren't true, but they are regarding INDY as a team. Could Pagano have a remarkable yr? Sure. Is that likelihood high? Don't bet the ranch on that. 

I get both sides. Keeping Chuck or releasing him after this yr. I get what I'm saying is this: I admire your convictions & bravery because I know you just want INDY to win more bling & because of that I will always defend you because it take guts to go against the masses & face intense heat. Keep speaking the truth Jared. 

I will always do my best to spread the message! Appreciate the support SouthWest!

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

While I admire the "come backs", does it have to be every game?????

What is it they say that about humor? That the best jokes resonate with people because they are either universal truths or that they have more than a grain of truth to them. haha

Now, don't get it twisted. I'm always loyal to the blue horseshoe but it is kinda funny that both Manning & Luck had to seal the deal in more games then they should have. Please change that Ballard. I have every confidence our new GM will.  

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

What is it they say that about humor? That the best jokes resonate with people because they are either universal truths or that they have more than a grain of truth to them. haha

Now, don't get it twisted. I'm always loyal to the blue horseshoe but it is kinda funny that both Manning & Luck had to seal the deal in more games then they should have. Please change that Ballard. I have every confidence our new GM will.  

I do as well!  Check ,y profile..some Ronnie James Dio...por tu, mi amigo!

12 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I do as well!  Check ,y profile..some Ronnie James Dio...por tu, mi amigo!

Will do brother & I'm sure no flashlight is needed to see any "Rainbow in the Dark" right? 

I'm sorry I mean "Dar- Dar- K!"

I use the dash feature & it messes up the joke. It figures. Heavy metal fans can never catch a break I tell ya. No respect AKA Rodney Dangerfield. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Will do brother & I'm sure no flashlight is needed to see any "Rainbow in the Dark" right? 

I'm sorry I mean "Dar- Dar- K!"

I use the dash feature & it messes up the joke. It figures. Heavy metal fans can never catch a break I tell ya. No respect AKA Rodney Dangerfield. 

LOL!...none taken!

Well, this year the Colts are going all the way out to L.A. and Seattle on the west coast.  They are going all the way to Buffalo and Jacksonville on the east coast.  That's all four corners of the country.

So the Colts are going pretty far this year, maybe farther than any other team...

:sarcasm:

Reasons for not going 8-8. Starting players coming back healthy 'for now', 2nd season under monachino defensive leadership, offensive line gelling, defensive acquisitions in the off-season and player's urgency to perform at a high level with the new GM watching every snap.

10-6/11--5 record at worst.

Anyone concerned that Luck has yet to throw. Hopefully he is healthy to plat and not healthy to play as long as he does not get beat up. Don't know what their schedule looks like. I saw a thing yesterday on Jacksonville and it was all thumbs down for them for 2017. Texans offense (QB) it up in the air but then they did not have a QB when they won the division so....Tennessee's OL has to repeat last season's numbers to prove they are for real and if so it should be anybody's division to win except the Jags.

On 6/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, King Colt said:

Anyone concerned that Luck has yet to throw. Hopefully he is healthy to plat and not healthy to play as long as he does not get beat up. Don't know what their schedule looks like. I saw a thing yesterday on Jacksonville and it was all thumbs down for them for 2017. Texans offense (QB) it up in the air but then they did not have a QB when they won the division so....Tennessee's OL has to repeat last season's numbers to prove they are for real and if so it should be anybody's division to win except the Jags.

Do you think he forgot how?

This year entirely depends on how good Watson is. If he's legit or even acceptable, the Texans are a roadblock. If he isn't, then we start looking at maybe 9-7 to 10-6 and see what team is drawn in the wildcard round. I think New England, Oakland (possibly Denver) , and Pittsburgh are all going to be a bit too potent this year for any type of championship run. But should be a good gauge to see how much improvement was made.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, dodsworth said:

Reasons for not going 8-8. Starting players coming back healthy 'for now', 2nd season under monachino defensive leadership, offensive line gelling, defensive acquisitions in the off-season and player's urgency to perform at a high level with the new GM watching every snap.

10-6/11--5 record at worst.

That's optimistic.   

I think they could get to 11 wins, but at worst I think 7-9.  

I think every element of our offense is being under-rated by the national guys.  That always opens the door for a season where we can constantly hear about the "surprising" Colt offense or OL.  It's amazing what lengths those guys will go to avoid admitting their analysis was crap. That can be more fun for the fans than those years the team is expected to dominate.  Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts end up in the thick of the SB race, but I wouldn't expect it...