Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs release Jeremy Maclin

RockThatBlue

21 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

A surprise: The #Chiefs released WR Jeremy Maclin. He had a $12.4M cap hit... and $7M in dead money.

What?  A former Chief with gas in the tank?

OOOOOHHHHH, I bet I know who he signs with!  :beg:

JK, I doubt it.  We're good at WR.  But you can never have enough "competition", right Ballard?

:thmup:

Didn't expect that. He must not be as fast, or explosive as they believed he once was. Too much dead money to just suddenly release a player this late in the offseason. 

Doubt the Colts go after him due to the fact that many teams will compete to get him, and he is not the big receiver Moncrief is capable of being. 

Ravens, Saints, or any of the NFC West teams would be my guess. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Didn't expect that. He must not be as fast, or explosive as they believed he once was. Too much dead money to just suddenly release a player this late in the offseason. 

Doubt the Colts go after him due to the fact that many teams will compete to get him, and he is not the big receiver Moncrief is capable of being. 

Ravens, Saints, or any of the NFC West teams would be my guess. 

Yeah, if he was willing to take less pay, this would be a great place for him.  We have an elite QB in his prime, and you can never have enough good pass-catchers to accommodate a QB like that.

But I have a feeling some of those WR-needy teams will take turns throwing money at him...

10 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Yeah I think so too. He will probably get 8 million a year and that's too much for us. 

That would have to be very heavily based on incentives.

Chiefs wouldn't cut him with their WR situation and the fact that he had just been present at their OTAs if there wasn't some significant issues. Chiefs have been pretty well run team under Reid and Dorsey too.

But this was pretty costly for them. Lost a 3rd for tampering and about 23M for 1600 yards.

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I would have liked to see him in Indy, but with Kamar Aiken and how much competition we have at WR, I don't think it'll happen.  Regardless, he'll have plenty of teams interested

I would like to know why he was released before I'd be ok with signing him. There must be some back story as to why. Its not often a pro bowler just gets randomly cut.

32 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I would like to know why he was released before I'd be ok with signing him. There must be some back story as to why. Its not often a pro bowler just gets randomly cut.

It saves them $10 mil against the cap.  There are questions about why they waited so long to cut him when they could have cut him earlier and saved the same amount

Nfl.com gives a reasonable explanation.  In short the chiefs were a lot more vertical in Maclins first year versus last year's short game which spread the ball around a lot more and created more production for other WRs and TEs on the team. And the cap savings will be more than the dead money which will be split across this year and next. So paying top dollar for a WR that didn't fit their scheme and whose production was almost the same as multiple cheaper options on the team didn't make sense. 

17 hours ago, Finball said:

That would have to be very heavily based on incentives.

Chiefs wouldn't cut him with their WR situation and the fact that he had just been present at their OTAs if there wasn't some significant issues. Chiefs have been pretty well run team under Reid and Dorsey too.

But this was pretty costly for them. Lost a 3rd for tampering and about 23M for 1600 yards.

True on the last part. But no I expect a pretty big contract by a team like St. Louis or Arizona. He has been getting first team reps all offseason and their whole team is shocked. I would be surprised if he got anything less than a 2/15 million deal 

22 hours ago, BOTT said:

Behold the killer of wide receivers......Alex Smith.

I so picture you yelling that like a town cryer inside a royal court in 17th Century England or an early 20th Century paper boy. Hear ye! Hear ye! Read all about it. Smith is overrated & will never win a SB in his NFL lifetime," 

Yeah I know, the period or time table doesn't work for 2017. You're funny BOTT. Keep it up! 

On 6/3/2017 at 11:53 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I would have liked to see him in Indy, but with Kamar Aiken and how much competition we have at WR, I don't think it'll happen.  Regardless, he'll have plenty of teams interested

Unless we are willing to call Moncrief a bust and either trade him or release him there is almost no point to spending the coin that would be required to bring in Maclin. 

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Unless we are willing to call Moncrief a bust and either trade him or release him there is almost no point to spending the coin that would be required to bring in Maclin. 

Hypothetically, we could trade Dorsett and bring in Maclin.  However, that would require a lot of moving parts, so chances of it happening are 0.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I cant believe he cant still play......Miami would be a good fit, too

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Hypothetically, we could trade Dorsett and bring in Maclin.  However, that would require a lot of moving parts, so chances of it happening are 0.

And lets be honest our passing game is good enough as it is.  Colts have a top 5 offense.  It would be ridiculous to spend that money trying to improve on the strongest aspect of the football team.