Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Parry Update

TKnight24

34 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

HMM, any one of us would be in jail for this at least 90 days worth. This is why this goes on, its a slap on the hand and it is not a deterrent. I wonder what the NFL will do now. 1,2 or 4 game suspension?

I highly doubt a first time offender would get any jail time. Especially when you add he had a lawyer and copped a plea deal.

No matter what number of games the NFL does suspend him for it will cost him dearly. You can bet it will add up a lot more for him than it would for me or you.

44 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

HMM, any one of us would be in jail for this at least 90 days worth. This is why this goes on, its a slap on the hand and it is not a deterrent. I wonder what the NFL will do now. 1,2 or 4 game suspension?

Not a chance, I've had a habit of checking court dockets for crimes I have knowledge of, I've seen plenty of 1st degree murders get 10-20 years. Prison is less damaging than a felony conviction.

24 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Not a chance, I've had a habit of checking court dockets for crimes I have knowledge of, I've seen plenty of 1st degree murders get 10-20 years. Prison is less damaging than a felony conviction.

1st degree murders and 1st time dui/misdemeanor and stealing a golf cart while being drunk is not the same thing. 

34 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Just out of curiosity how do you relate what Parry done to a murder conviction?

Big difference.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Regardless of what the courts mete out...he will at least be suspended for a couple of games by the league.

Yeah, he has an uphill battle.  He's mainly just a NT, while there are several that can play the 0 and 3.  He's a decent backup but could easily be beat out. Especially if he's going to have to miss a few games.  

2 hours ago, ColtsUrUs said:

1st degree murders and 1st time dui/misdemeanor and stealing a golf cart while being drunk is not the same thing. 

Re-read what I wrote. It was a reference point.

If people who commit first degree murder sometimes get 10-20 years, then it should not be a surprise if someone gets 0 time for DUI and golf cart theft (or any other crime for that matter). Which is what they should get, 0 time.

Mark Wahlberg got 45 days for aggravated battery and attempted murder back in the 1980s, BEFORE he was famous. (the Internet is your friend)

Anyone who thinks that an ordinary Joe Schmo would get 90 days in jail is not up to date with today's legal system. He'd be lucky to get 90 minutes.

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, he has an uphill battle.  He's mainly just a NT, while there are several that can play the 0 and 3.  He's a decent backup but could easily be beat out. Especially if he's going to have to miss a few games.  

Thank you for articulating my point so well :)

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt a first time offender would get any jail time. Especially when you add he had a lawyer and copped a plea deal.

No matter what number of games the NFL does suspend him for it will cost him dearly. You can bet it will add up a lot more for him than it would for me or you.

It depends on what their state law is some places are more strict on the law than others he hasn't completely avoided jail time yet

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Sometimes when I type on my phone in the bathroom, I go through things so fast, it becomes hard to follow.

The point I mean to impart is this; sentencing isn't what it used to be. Used to be "oh boy, I'm afraid to go to jail." Now it is "if I get a record, can't get a good job anyways, so it's better to be in jail." The worst part of any sentencing are the collateral consequences, not jail time. Long story short, as a result amongst many other factors (overcrowding, tax dollars not enough for salaries, yadda yadda yadda), sentencing is much less in pure time served than it was before.

As examples, I've seen murderers get 10-20 years in prison. Drug traffickers get 10 years but out in 10 months as "good behavior" automatically gets accrued.

As the saying sometimes goes, "Misdemeanor retail theft on the 3rd conviction is a felony"...that's the book world. In the real world, the average thief does not get caught until 20+ attempts, and receives pretrial diversion multiple times because DAs don't want to waste time prosecuting what they consider to be petty stuff.

If David Parry was Joe Schmo? Probably gets 0 jail time, perhaps 10 days of time to be served on and off during weekends. And that's assuming the sentence is not "suspended" by the Judge.

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

It depends on what their state law is some places are more strict on the law than others he hasn't completely avoided jail time yet

You have to keep in mind the court system is run by money.

I am sure the court knows that Parry has money and in their eyes plenty of it compared to the average Joe.

It is also well aware the money made off of Parry directly and indirectly is more than what is made by putting him in jail.

With the money spent on a lawyer (indirectly), the fines, court cost and two years probation fees (directly) pays better than putting him in jail. As far as I know he is a first time offender and getting jail time is pretty much unheard of being Parry is who he is.

I would be willing to bet there are a lot more serious charges in the court system that would still get no jail time for first time offenders.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have to keep in mind the court system is run by money.

I am sure the court knows that Parry has money and in their eyes plenty of it compared to the average Joe.

It is also well aware the money made off of Parry directly and indirectly is more than what is made by putting him in jail.

With the money spent on a lawyer (indirectly), the fines, court cost and two years probation fees (directly) pays better than putting him in jail. As far as I know he is a first time offender and getting jail time is pretty much unheard of being Parry is who he is.

I would be willing to bet there are a lot more serious charges in the court system that would still get no jail time for first time offenders.

Not always true if they want to send somebody to jail it's gonna happen no matter how much money the person has

52 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Not always true if they want to send somebody to jail it's gonna happen no matter how much money the person has

With the over crowding I am pretty sure his charges would not be on the agenda for him to go to jail on a first time offense.

If it was considered a serious felony where money could be bilked with high dollar lawyer fees then I could see a difference.

I am not trying to be argumentative with you but believe me I have been around the court system plenty.

While it's been over 30 years since I have been arrested for a felony (charges were dropped after I fought it with the truth and a high dollar lawyer) I have had plenty dealings with the courts with my family and my in laws. (out laws as I call them) :D

" Parry was arrested for stealing a golf cart while drunk." 

I don't mean to make light of being intoxicated, but I always wanted to know the top speed of your average golf cart. 

We all make mistakes. I won't this against Parry personally. 

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

" Parry was arrested for stealing a golf cart while drunk." 

I don't mean to make light of being intoxicated, but I always wanted to know the top speed of your average golf cart. 

We all make mistakes. I won't this against Parry personally. 

I think they have a top speed of 7-10 whopping MPH.