Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who ends up with better career manning or luck?

Trace Pyott

Before everyone goes off on me for making another manning vs anyone thread, let me first say that I am sick of these threads too. I'm not asking who is better I am just asking based on two different things who ends up with the better career.

The first criteria is statistics. Do you guys see luck breaking most of mannings passing records someday? I know he's right up there with him as far as the start of his career but manning ended up putting up silly numbers later in his career. I see luck putting up 35 td and around 15 int consistently in his career give or take a few td or int.

My next criteria is super bowl wins. We all know manning should have won at least one or two more superbowls with the colts. If Ballard can build a good team and defense behind luck I don't see why he can't win one or two.

So yah, that's basically my opinion. I think luck is an amazing player but I see him just coming up short being the once in a lifetime player that manning was. What do you guys think?

Luck has a shot to end up with multiple SB rings, provided the Colts can play well defensively develope a top 10 Oline and get run game going. Manning had the Oline and run game but was hampered by bad defenses most of his career. 

Well... some people consider Peyton Manning to be the best QB to ever play the game.  Everyone considers him a top 10 of all time.  I like Andrew Luck, but to expect him to end up having a better career than one of the best QBs of all time that revolutionized the game is silly.

I don't see Luck playing 17 years (or whatever Manning did)  and while the rules favor more offense these days,  even more than Peyton's early years,  it's hard for me to see Andrew passing him.

You all know what a Luck fan I am for a long, long time.    But I think Peyton is on another level and that takes nothing away from Andrew....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see Luck playing 17 years (or whatever Manning did)  and while the rules favor more offense these days,  even more than Peyton's early years,  it's hard for me to see Andrew passing him.

You all know what a Luck fan I am for a long, long time.    But I think Peyton is on another level and that takes nothing away from Andrew....

I agree with this. I don't think Luck will play as long as Peyton. But Andrew is thrilling to watch!

i think montana, brady, bradshaw and perhaps peyton had the best careers

talent wise bradshaw isnt on the level of the others, but he was on great teams and had a good career

i dont think luck will make it to mt rushmore status or win 4 super bowls, but he will have a really good career

Im going with Luck, just because that would mean I get to watch my favorite team do some winning again.

PM was special and fun to watch, realistically I doubt Luck is able to do as much.  Mostly because his team was set back for a couple of years and not progressing the way it did during Manning's first half decade.  

Although, CB could change things around pretty quick so I am happy to see what is to come going forward.

We've got some pretty optimistic fans around here. Guess I'll play devil's advocate -- no, Luck won't have a better career than Manning. Luck wasted one season to injury, several seasons bouncing back and forth between different playing schemes, Grigson bombed on several selections in the draft and free agency, and the influx of young guys at the o-line means another year of getting everyone acclimated. Even Ballard himself said this will take time, so it could take 2-3 years before we see results.

I do see Luck eventually winning 1-2 Superbowls, but even if it's two, I'll give the nod to Peyton. After 3 years, I suspect Brady (and by extension, Belichick) will be retired, and that will be our window of opportunity.

Peyton made his first Superbowl quite late, ony in his 8th season, and still managed to collect 4 appearances and 2 rings. So, everything is possible. But,,,,. Luck has cca 10 to 13 years left ... if he stays healthy. So he needs to get to the SB every 2.5-3 years, just to level Manning's achievements. Frankly, it's a looong shot....

Regarding some carreer stats though, I can see Luck breaking some of Mannings carreer records. Regarding passing yards, he's behind Manning by cca 1000 yards after 5 years, but Manning never missed a game until 2011, so Luck's yards/game production is higher. If he stays healthy, he'll have a shot. The same can be said regarding carreer TD's. Luck is a bit behind, but his averages are higher. Sidenote: There's a chance that both records will be broken by the time Luck could have a shot. It depends how long Brees and Brady will play.

Regarding MVP titles, I don't see anyone breaking Mannings record in the foreseeable future. Maybe for decades.

11 hours ago, Kyle said:

Well... some people consider Peyton Manning to be the best QB to ever play the game.  Everyone considers him a top 10 of all time.  I like Andrew Luck, but to expect him to end up having a better career than one of the best QBs of all time that revolutionized the game is silly.

Not silly  . As much as I can't stand Brady he out did 18 IMO given a running game & defense that performs at a high level 12 can equal 18 as a Colt I don't care about the stats 18 had lots of great regular season stats but in the playoffs not so great . 

Luck can go further just give him the same weapons Manning had a Faulk or a James would be nice .  The Broncos Defense with Peyton Manning in his prime would have been a dynasty & 

As far as I recall Peyton Manning had 1 season better at this point in his career & I believe Luck got further in the playoffs in there first 5 seasons  IMO judging 16 seasons versus 5 seems a bit premature .. 

I have from day 1 believed by the end of Andrew Lucks Colts career he will equal Peyton Manning & could very well pass him , When 18 was in Knoxville I  felt he was the real deal & he was , watching 12 at Stanford I felt the same way it was awesome both times to get a once in a life time QB , The Colts have gotten 2 bites at the apple  maybe this time those in the front office can learn from the mistakes of the past ..