Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft History

coltsfeva

Seems like you see one common thread in the year-by-year draft history of the Colts: Inconsistency.

A lot has been made of Grigson's mistakes by the national media and fans, and he has had his share of swings and misses but to be fair, he has made some decent choices in both the draft and FA. 

He hasn't missed on everything nor has he hit on everything. That seems to be the norm. Here's a link to the Colts drafts by year.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2200&type=team

15 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Seems like you see one common thread in the year-by-year draft history of the Colts: Inconsistency.

A lot has been made of Grigson's mistakes by the national media and fans, and he has had his share of swings and misses but to be fair, he has made some decent choices in both the draft and FA. 

He hasn't missed on everything nor has he hit on everything. That seems to be the norm. Here's a link to the Colts drafts by year.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2200&type=team

even the great Bill Polian wiffed on some drafts.  Everyone does, it's a crap shoot really, especially sorting thru the hype in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  After that, I think it does get easier to spot better players. 

37 minutes ago, csmopar said:

even the great Bill Polian wiffed on some drafts.  Everyone does, it's a crap shoot really, especially sorting thru the hype in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  After that, I think it does get easier to spot better players. 

You only get excused for missing when you win a lot. And by win I mean Suoerbowls, playoff wins, and conferences. Polian's Bills went to multiple Superbowls and his Colts won the big one and enjoyed a much longer streak of winning seasons than Grigson did. Granted it's only year 5 for him, but that point is just for the people he keep bringing up the 11-5 seasons. But Polian got criticized for not winning more Super Bowls with Peyton, because like Grigson he didn't put a great team around him later because like you said, Polian whiffed on some drafts. Once the allure of winning that Super Bowl wore off that's when his flaws really became apparent. Especially because he had a top tier QB.

Grigson is rightfully criticized for his failures because the Colts haven't been to or won a Super Bowl yet and and are about to be 2 years removed from their last winning season.

If anything Ryan Grigson has the ability to fire pagano who is a horrible game manager. If grigson doesn't do that then fire grigson too. 

Im not a huge supporter of Ryan's, but I am willing to have a little patience on his part. 

Not for chuck though. You need good coaching to win games, and so far pags has declined. Year one I would see some head scratcher moments by pags and it hasn't subsided I am sad to say. 

But it if Ryan feels like he can't fire pagano then Ryan needs to go too. If Ryan fires pagano I might think maybe he knows it's the right thing. Or, a scape goat. 

If anything Ryan Grigson has the ability to fire pagano who is a horrible game manager. If grigson doesn't do that then fire grigson too. 

Im not a huge supporter of Ryan's, but I am willing to have a little patience on his part. 

Not for chuck though. You need good coaching to win games, and so far pags has declined. Year one I would see some head scratcher moments by pags and it hasn't subsided I am sad to say. 

But it if Ryan feels like he can't fire pagano then Ryan needs to go too. If Ryan fires pagano I might think maybe he knows it's the right thing. Or, a scape goat. 

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You only get excused for missing when you win a lot. And by win I mean Suoerbowls, playoff wins, and conferences. Polian's Bills went to multiple Superbowls and his Colts won the big one and enjoyed a much longer streak of winning seasons than Grigson did. Granted it's only year 5 for him, but that point is just for the people he keep bringing up the 11-5 seasons. But Polian got criticized for not winning more Super Bowls with Peyton, because like Grigson he didn't put a great team around him later because like you said, Polian whiffed on some drafts. Once the allure of winning that Super Bowl wore off that's when his flaws really became apparent. Especially because he had a top tier QB.

Grigson is rightfully criticized for his failures because the Colts haven't been to or won a Super Bowl yet and and are about to be 2 years removed from their last winning season.

I completely agree. I'm not defending Grigson.  Simply saying he's not the only one to have wiffed. That sad, it wouldnt break my heart to see him gone at all.

If this year's losses went the Colt's way, and they are sitting at 5-1 or 6-0, would you credit Grigson for bringing in the right players?

Are the mental mistakes and mis-executions the players are making his fault?

Are the injuries?

What if the Colts turn this thing around? Will the fans then be supportive of keeping Grigson (and Pagano)?

Or will they still want Irsay to get rid of both? And then what? How many years will you give the new GM and Coach to win a Superbowl? And will one be enough? 

Both Grigson and Pagano have admitted they made some bad decisions. It takes guts to admit you were wrong. 

I agree with Grigson on this: If you look at his drafts as a whole, it's pretty good. Time will tell.....

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

You deserve criticism when you have a franchise qb and his record is 4-9 in his last 13 starts.

But....but.... It's impossible to win a game in the NFL, insanely difficult, no team does.  Every game is a battle, two wolverines fighting eachother in a death match surrounded by fire after dipping their paws in glass and nails.  It's like trying to climb K2 during a snow storm with no harnness.  The only thing that matters is they just keep chopping away, just show effort and earn that participation trophy!!!:tvsmash:

37 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

But....but.... It's impossible to win a game in the NFL, insanely difficult, no team does.  Every game is a battle, two wolverines fighting eachother in a death match surrounded by fire after dipping their paws in glass and nails.  It's like trying to climb K2 during a snow storm with no harnness.  The only thing that matters is they just keep chopping away, just show effort and earn that participation trophy!!!:tvsmash:

.....and keep clapping.

7 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Ryan & Chuck are joined at the hip.  If one goes they both go.  At least that's what I remember Jim saying when they got their new contracts.  Jim will do the firing of either/both of them.

55 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I never under stood get the qb note weapon more weapons etc....  No get the qb a good oline and good def and enough guys to make plays. But look at peyton and tom I think I would rather the good def than all  of farmers at every skill position 

I never under stood get the qb more weapon more weapons etc....  No get the qb a good oline and good def and enough guys to make plays. But look at peyton and tom I think I would rather the good def than all  hall of famers at every skill position . I fixed it for all the gammer cops so don't message me lol