Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Ragland--According to Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628998/article/mike-mayock-reggie-ragland-is-a-top20-pick-all-day-long

and will be running someone's D from day 1.

I guess he's been holding up well in coverage during Senior Bowl practices...maybe he could be the Colts' version of CJ Mosely

upgraded LB play is desperately needed and he could be it.

33 minutes ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

I wouldn't be opposed to this. .. obviously,  but the best defensive player from Bama in this draft is jerran  reed I've seen him mocked as low as 20th..... if we grab him that gives us Anderson, parry, langford, reed, mcgill, art Jones, okine

I've seen that too and in the Senior Bowl notes, Jerran has been border line unblockable at times...along with Sheldon Rankins DT out Louisville.

What I do know is that no matter what happens this draft, there will be some very good players available at 18.

I love this time of year and am very excited.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

I've seen that too and in the Senior Bowl notes, Jerran has been border line unblockable at times...along with Sheldon Rankins DT out Louisville.

What I do know is that no matter what happens this draft, there will be some very good players available at 18.

I love this time of year and am very excited.

The issue with Jarran Reed is that he's an ineffective pass rusher.  Against the run, he's one of the best DT prospects in this class.  But his pass rush is a very unsophisticated one, and it shows on film in addition to his lack of short area burst.  He'll push the pocket, and that's going to be about the best you can expect from him.

25 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The point being Ragland is a below average coverage LB. IDK how Spence is but Smith and Jack are great and we should jump at the chance to get either.

Pretty sure Spence is pretty much only a pass rusher. i don't think he has a lot of experience in coverage.

Nope Nope Nope.. They can hype him up all they want, but he will be a liability in coverage at the pro level. In the NFL he's a 2-down LB, which there is nothing wrong with, but this over glorification of Alabama players is annoying. They tried doing the exact same thing for Landon Collins last year...

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Nope Nope Nope.. They can hype him up all they want, but he will be a liability in coverage at the pro level. In the NFL he's a 2-down LB, which there is nothing wrong with, but this over glorification of Alabama players is annoying. They tried doing the exact same thing for Landon Collins last year...

Well put and my sentiments exactly!

2 hours ago, wig said:

I am intrigued by him being able to play OLB.  If he can play MLB on running downs and move outside to rush the passer as well, I'm interested.

If we could identify passing downs vs running downs before the play starts, that would work well. As it stands, he's going to be a liability on passing downs if he's lined up inside. And he's really not that good of a pass rusher. He's a pretty good blitzer, but he's not an edge rusher.

He's a good run defender, a good competitor, etc. I just don't think he's an every down linebacker.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

The point being Ragland is a below average coverage LB. IDK how Spence is but Smith and Jack are great and we should jump at the chance to get either.

Well....   he apparently has not been below average at the senior bowl.

And yes,  Smith and Jack would probably be higher on our wish list -- unless we've decided to pass on Smith because of his injury.

But again,   this is not an apples to apples comparison.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If we could identify passing downs vs running downs before the play starts, that would work well. As it stands, he's going to be a liability on passing downs if he's lined up inside. And he's really not that good of a pass rusher. He's a pretty good blitzer, but he's not an edge rusher.

He's a good run defender, a good competitor, etc. I just don't think he's an every down linebacker.

I meant 3rd and 5 or longer.  It's hard to say what he would do as an edge rusher since he doesn't have tape on it.  But, his measurables fit the position.  I also don't agree with him being a complete liability inside on passing downs.

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The issue with Jarran Reed is that he's an ineffective pass rusher.  Against the run, he's one of the best DT prospects in this class.  But his pass rush is a very unsophisticated one, and it shows on film in addition to his lack of short area burst.  He'll push the pocket, and that's going to be about the best you can expect from him.

True. But he's a beast against the run. But I'm with you. I'd rather have a more athletic guy that can do both.

3 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Pretty sure Spence is pretty much only a pass rusher. i don't think he has a lot of experience in coverage.

That's really what we need the most. A pure pass rusher. We have a guy who's an edge setter. We need some pure pass rushers.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

That's really what we need the most. A pure pass rusher. We have a guy who's an edge setter. We need some pure pass rushers.

Agreed, we need a pass rusher. However, he asked how Spence was in coverage and I was trying to inform him that Spence doesn't have very much coverage experience at all. He is a pure pass rusher, but he is also solid at setting an edge in the run game. I believe Spence needs to work on his play recognition skills to help develop his run defense. As far as rushing the passer I have watched game tape and senior bowl practices and Spence has a natural quick first step. Spence has been looking dominant at the senior bowl practices the last two days, and I could easily see him being a top 15 pick if has finishes with a good senior bowl, and a above average combine. People say he has off the field concerns and I agree, but many teams tend to turn a blind eye to it if the talent is there. Same with Nkemdiche people thought he was going to fall heavily due to his hotel incident. According to reports the Cowboys are extremely interested in him with multiple teams with the following picks.

25 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Agreed, we need a pass rusher. However, he asked how Spence was in coverage and I was trying to inform him that Spence doesn't have very much coverage experience at all. He is a pure pass rusher, but he is also solid at setting an edge in the run game. I believe Spence needs to work on his play recognition skills to help develop his run defense. As far as rushing the passer I have watched game tape and senior bowl practices and Spence has a natural quick first step. Spence has been looking dominant at the senior bowl practices the last two days, and I could easily see him being a top 15 pick if has finishes with a good senior bowl, and a above average combine. People say he has off the field concerns and I agree, but many teams tend to turn a blind eye to it if the talent is there. Same with Nkemdiche people thought he was going to fall heavily due to his hotel incident. According to reports the Cowboys are extremely interested in him with multiple teams with the following picks.

I agree on Spence. It'd be nice if he fell to the 2nd because of his past and we got Ogbah in the 1st and Spence in the 2nd. Our pass rush would be set for a while then.

2 hours ago, wig said:

I meant 3rd and 5 or longer.  It's hard to say what he would do as an edge rusher since he doesn't have tape on it.  But, his measurables fit the position.  I also don't agree with him being a complete liability inside on passing downs.

He's taken enough snaps at edge, even from a three-point stance, for me to be comfortable saying he's not a good pass rusher. I see very little in terms of pass rusher traits. JMO

As for being a coverage liability, I don't think he can cover the middle in the NFL. If you're playing a zone defense with a great pass rush, he'll be sufficient. And he shows good ball anticipation (at least at times; other times he looks slow to react, if not indifferent, to pass action). But ask him to mirror a TE or a slot receiver, and he's toast; or ask him to stop an angle route from a runningback, and it's over. I don't think he can play one on one coverage, at all. And I think good OCs will pick on him in coverage in the middle. If you play a ton of Cover 1 and hook the middle with him, you're probably okay.

I just think he's a two down guy. I don't see the traits of a pass rusher or a capable coverage linebacker. Again, JMO, which doesn't mean much.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

He's taken enough snaps at edge, even from a three-point stance, for me to be comfortable saying he's not a good pass rusher. I see very little in terms of pass rusher traits. JMO

As for being a coverage liability, I don't think he can cover the middle in the NFL. If you're playing a zone defense with a great pass rush, he'll be sufficient. And he shows good ball anticipation (at least at times; other times he looks slow to react, if not indifferent, to pass action). But ask him to mirror a TE or a slot receiver, and he's toast; or ask him to stop an angle route from a runningback, and it's over. I don't think he can play one on one coverage, at all. And I think good OCs will pick on him in coverage in the middle. If you play a ton of Cover 1 and hook the middle with him, you're probably okay.

I just think he's a two down guy. I don't see the traits of a pass rusher or a capable coverage linebacker. Again, JMO, which doesn't mean much.

Reminds me of D'Qwell Jackson tbh. Downhill thumper in a 3-4. Not really athletic either.

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I agree on Spence. It'd be nice if he fell to the 2nd because of his past and we got Ogbah in the 1st and Spence in the 2nd. Our pass rush would be set for a while then.

Now I have to go back and re-watch some tape of a Ogbah, but at first glance watching him I have to say I was not really impressed. What are some of the things that you like about Ogbah? I am curious of other peoples opinions on different prospects so I can compare them to my impressions.

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Ragland is a below average coverage LB ---- today.     As of right now.

Doesn't mean he'll always be that way.

That's why he's being worked out as an OLB to see how he handles drops and coverage.    It's possible that he gets better and can be a complete 3-down ILB for whoever drafts him.     Players can get better.

16 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Now I have to go back and re-watch some tape of a Ogbah, but at first glance watching him I have to say I was not really impressed. What are some of the things that you like about Ogbah? I am curious of other peoples opinions on different prospects so I can compare them to my impressions.

He's got an NFL body already, 6'4 275 and IMO he's a plug and play Rush LB who can be productive right away and still has tons of upside. He's big, strong, extremely physical, has great length, A high motor, and he's pretty explosive off the snap. He's been VERY productive at OK State, racking up big sack numbers and TFL's. He's not Leonard Floyd as far as that freakish speed and agility, but he still has pretty good speed and quickness to go along with his physical, power style.  He plays the run well to go along with his pass rushing ability. He's beaten several top tier O-Linemen like Le'Raven Clark,. He reminds me of Suggs a bit. Basically, I see a big, strong, powerful, explosive EDGE rusher who has nice speed and quickness to go with it. The only thing is I think he could afford to trim down to about 265 in our 34 scheme to be more flexible and to be able to gain leverage. Plus he'd be more explosive 10lbs lighter too.

59 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He's got an NFL body already, 6'4 275 and IMO he's a plug and play Rush LB who can be productive right away and still has tons of upside. He's big, strong, extremely physical, has great length, A high motor, and he's pretty explosive off the snap. He's been VERY productive at OK State, racking up big sack numbers and TFL's. He's not Leonard Floyd as far as that freakish speed and agility, but he still has pretty good speed and quickness to go along with his physical, power style.  He plays the run well to go along with his pass rushing ability. He's beaten several top tier O-Linemen like Le'Raven Clark,. He reminds me of Suggs a bit. Basically, I see a big, strong, powerful, explosive EDGE rusher who has nice speed and quickness to go with it. The only thing is I think he could afford to trim down to about 265 in our 34 scheme to be more flexible and to be able to gain leverage. Plus he'd be more explosive 10lbs lighter too.

The first game I watched of his must have been one of his bad games. I watched some more tape of his and I have to say I may have jumped to a bad conclusion too soon. His Kansas State tape seems to pretty much live up to most of what you have said. I think his speed for a big guy is good, but if he dropped about 10 pounds it could help him immensely. I like that he isn't just a one trick pony like Floyd, in the sense that he can play with both speed and power. Although I really like what Floyd can do speed rushing off the edge, and turning speed into power. I appreciate the response. Now in your opinion who are your top 5 pass rushers in this years draft?

2 hours ago, SDakColts said:

The first game I watched of his must have been one of his bad games. I watched some more tape of his and I have to say I may have jumped to a bad conclusion too soon. His Kansas State tape seems to pretty much live up to most of what you have said. I think his speed for a big guy is good, but if he dropped about 10 pounds it could help him immensely. I like that he isn't just a one trick pony like Floyd, in the sense that he can play with both speed and power. Although I really like what Floyd can do speed rushing off the edge, and turning speed into power. I appreciate the response. Now in your opinion who are your top 5 pass rushers in this years draft?

Well my opinion don't mean too much, but IMO...... And I'll do top 10. But you, me and everyone else will change our minds a lot after the Combine and by the time the draft gets here.

1) Noah Spence

2) Emmanuel Ogbah

3) Joey Bosa

4) Shaq Lawson

5) Leonard Floyd

6) Kevin Dodd

7) Kyler Fackrell   

8) Shilique Calhoun

9) Yannick Ngakoue

10) Kamelei Correa

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Well my opinion don't mean too much, but IMO...... And I'll do top 10. But you, me and everyone else will change our minds a lot after the Combine and by the time the draft gets here.

1) Noah Spence

2) Emmanuel Ogbah

3) Joey Bosa

4) Shaq Lawson

5) Leonard Floyd

6) Kevin Dodd

7) Kyler Fackrell   

8) Shilique Calhoun

9) Yannick Ngakoue

10) Kamelei Correa

I'll say it again. Just wait until Floyd works out at the combine. He'll show up at 245 pounds and you'll all be saying he's the top 3-4 OLB prospect.

But I'm also a big fan of Ogbah 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'll say it again. Just wait until Floyd works out at the combine. He'll show up at 245 pounds and you'll all be saying he's the top 3-4 OLB prospect.

But I'm also a big fan of Ogbah 

I agree with you. It'll be the same as Beasley last year. He'll blow the combine out of the water, and could even end up being a top 10 pick IMO. But I wouldn't be mad about none of these picks....Floyd, Spence or Ogbah. I'm not as big on Lawson as others.

On 1/30/2016 at 10:06 PM, COLTS449 said:

1) Noah Spence

2) Emmanuel Ogbah

3) Joey Bosa

4) Shaq Lawson

5) Leonard Floyd

6) Kevin Dodd

7) Kyler Fackrell   

8) Shilique Calhoun

9) Yannick Ngakoue

10) Kamelei Correa

I appreciate you taking the time to make your list. I always like seeing other posters opinions on the prospects to compare them to mine. I agree there is a long way to go before now and the draft to determine the order of everyone's list. I'll give you my top 10 for comparison purposes.

1. Noah Spence

2. Leonard Floyd

3. Emmanuel Ogbah

4. Joey Bosa

6. Shaq Lawson

5. Kyler Fackrell

7. Kevin Dodd

8. Shilique Calhoun

9. Yannick Ngakoue

10. Dadi Nicolas