Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it a Catch Flowchart - first draft

ColtsBlueFL

I toyed with the idea, and then went and did a first draft of a catch flowchart.  This assumes the ball is in the receivers hands, and he is not bobbling it -

CatchFlowChart_zpsyzetcbjz.jpg

Compare these results to any catch review decision by Dean Blandino (replay challenge) or even Ref on field call..  Report instances not covered for inclusion / updates.  Thanks!

I toyed with the idea, and then went and did a first draft of a catch flowchart. This assumes the ball is in the receivers hands, and he is not bobbling it -

Compare these results to any catch review decision by Dean Blandino (replay challenge) or even Ref on field call.. Report instances not covered for inclusion / updates. Thanks!

CBF, good stuff as usual. You should post this in NFL General. Thank you.

I think it's pretty obvious in most cases. People just like to bash the refs for everything that hurts their teams. There are some controversial calls, like Dez's, but ones like Odell's vs. the Pats are obvious drops.

Nah. Most aren't obvious. Even most commentators say they don't know what a catch is. Randy Moss said he's confused about what a catch is anymore. Has nothing to do with bashing the refs, the rule isn't very clear and more often than not the refs rule them very inconsistently. That's the issue. One game they will rule a play a catch, the next week a similar play will happen and then its ruled incomplete.

Nice chart, I like what you did here.

The other night, I was looking at old videos of the 1999 Rams. Those old Kurt Warner Rams teams are fun to look back on. 

I saw this catch in one video that looked like they'd call it back today. 

In this clip, at 1:03 Bruce has 1 foot down in the end zone. They'd totally call this back today 

Nah. Most aren't obvious. Even most commentators say they don't know what a catch is. Randy Moss said he's confused about what a catch is anymore. Has nothing to do with bashing the refs, the rule isn't very clear and more often than not the refs rule them very inconsistently. That's the issue. One game they will rule a play a catch, the next week a similar play will happen and then its ruled incomplete.

I agree, refs sometimes miss the call.  I've been studying Dean Blandino and his calls and his explanations.  This chart is my best effort based upon what he will rule on replay sent to him in NY.  Even today,   Once I saw the replay, I thought a play I thought (hoped?) was incomplete for the Bucs was really a completed pass.  Receiver got control, then both feet down.  Before he went to the ground he was able to get another foot or even two before hitting the ground and losing possession.  This is one where he was established as a runner even though he was contacted during the catch.  So he was down on contact rather than having to maintain control throughout (which is the situation I thought I saw in real time and hoped for.)  So using the chart, I even had to reverse my own initial perception knowing the Refs did get it right, and Blandino would uphold their call.  Bummer for me as a fan, but supported my chart matching what Blandino will rule.

Chris Hogan on the Bills makes a catch for the first down, takes three steps, is brought down, ball comes out as he is down, and the refs called it incomplete.

Rex, for some reason did NOT challenge.

But thanks for screwing us in another game this season refs!

I he truly got more than 2 feet down before hitting the ground, and TV replay videos proves that, Rex should have challenged.  Dean Blandino would have overruled that call as the receiver had become a runner, and then the ground can't cause a fumble.  If it comes out before knee / arm etc... hits the ground though,  it is then a fumble, not incomplete.

I toyed with the idea, and then went and did a first draft of a catch flowchart.  This assumes the ball is in the receivers hands, and he is not bobbling it -

Compare these results to any catch review decision by Dean Blandino (replay challenge) or even Ref on field call..  Report instances not covered for inclusion / updates.  Thanks!

Is it in the end zone? could be a subset also. Doesn't really change anything, but some feel that the play should be called differently if the receiver is in the end zone. 

Is it in the end zone? could be a subset also. Doesn't really change anything, but some feel that the play should be called differently if the receiver is in the end zone. 

I thought about that, but the only difference I ever saw with Blandino from a catch in the field of play to that in the end zone is that once a receiver is established as a runner, it is an immediate TD whether contacted or not during the catch when in the end zone; irregardless whether receiver stays in or steps out as a runner.  Same catch in the field of play, the ball can still come out (or be stripped) before receiver being down or down by contact resulting in a fumble as the play is still alive where in the end zone it is dead and a TD.  But I see your point and thought about that myself.  I'd like to keep it as simple as possible and add/adjust only as necessary.

ESPN (I think) had a really good article on how slo-mo replay is really messing with the refs and how they call catches vs. non catches...basically, when slowed down to frame-by-frame, it changes the whole dynamic of the play vs real time. It introduces all types of things a ref wouldn't see in real time. Take Bradshaw today. That wasn't a fumble. But there was a teeny bit of movement right when his arm hit the turf, that could possibly had led to that call being overturned and ruled a fumble. Frame by frame replay is just not real world. And it is a big reason no one knows what a catch is anymore. I get replay for big things like: two feet down, bobbling, did the ground aid the catch, etc. But this micro-analyzation of every detail is what ia ruining these calls. Maybe speed up the replay to something above frame by frame. It's a hard concept to explain and the article I read did a better job...but basically let the refs do their job. Make it clear what is and isn't a catch and stop dissecting every little action....K.I.S.S in other words