Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 FA acquisitions

I wonder how close we got to picking up Mike Jenkins last offseason. If memory serves, we were pretty dang close and Dallas was asking too much.  With the arrival of Morris Claiborne, they may not be asking as much this time around.

Definitely excited to see the work Grigs can do with a big stash of cash.

Btw, when does the FA signing period start?

Jenkins is a free agent and no way Dallas uses a franchise tag on their nickle CB. There compensation wil be a possible compensatory pick.

Based on what? opinion? last I checked we are all entitled to one, I base mine on solid facts

1.Fact 1-Ballard was only averaging .1 more ypc in his 12 starts then Brown was in his 4 starts

2.They both averaged the same ypc for the season (3.9)

3.Brown got injured which means Ballard got the majority of carries from then on out which meant more yards

4.Brown is the better of the two at pass blockin

5.Brown is a quick scoring game changing threat

6.Brown takes better care of the ball

Hey I like the 1 2 punch of Ballard and Brown but Brown should be the starter for now unless he does not come back 100 percent and Ballard improves on his pass blocking,

One thing Brown has to work on is building some more muscle I think he does go down easy at times[/

Just like you used solid statistical facts to show Matt Shaub played a good game Sunday? IMO, the eye test clearly show s Ballard is the better back. He may not have the speed of brown, but he picks up tougher yards more consistent yards.

I like brown, but the guy can't stay healthy

Someone (I forget the name) disproved that when both Backs were healthy Brown was picking up more yards after contact I think, I'd have to go through every single thread to find it though

Someone (I forget the name) disproved that when both Backs were healthy Brown was picking up more yards after contact I think, I'd have to go through every single thread to find it though

It was the jags game I think and that was totally misleading when you actually went back and looked at the game. The online was opening big holes and brown wasn't getting any significant contact until until he was well past the line of scrimmage...any decent rb in that situation is going to get yards after contact.

It was the jags game I think and that was totally misleading when you actually went back and looked at the game. The online was opening big holes and brown wasn't getting any significant contact until until he was well past the line of scrimmage...any decent rb in that situation is going to get yards after contact.

And thats been the case on the majority of Ballard runs, massive holes have been open, he wasn't touched at or behind the line of scrimmage on many of his long runs (his longest is 26). Hey I really like Ballard alot, I have no doubt he can be a 1000 yard Back he did not have to share the load with Brown but also Brown can to and Brown does take care of the ball better at this stage, I actually like big Backs more but he is not much bigger then Brown so its not like Ballard is a huge Back. My problem with Brown his he has break away speed but he doesn't shift around alot when running, its alot of straight line running, he can shift, I have seen it, guess we will see what happens if we use the same Man blocking (primarily)scheme next year if Arians is still around

Brown 5'10" 210lbs

Ballard 5'10" 217lbs

And thats been the case on the majority of Ballard runs, massive holes have been open, he wasn't touched at or behind the line of scrimmage on many of his long runs (his longest is 26). Hey I really like Ballard alot, I have no doubt he can be a 1000 yard Back he did not have to share the load with Brown but also Brown can to and Brown does take care of the ball better at this stage, I actually like big Backs more but he is not much bigger then Brown so its not like Ballard is a huge Back. My problem with Brown his he has break away speed but he doesn't shift around alot when running, its alot of straight line running, he can shift, I have seen it, guess we will see what happens if we use the same Man blocking (primarily)scheme next year if Arians is still around

Brown 5'10" 210lbs

Ballard 5'10" 217lbs

I appreciate that their listed heights and weights are not far apart....    but you've got to use the 'eyeball' test...

Ballard is just a much bigger back...   he looks bigger and he runs bigger....    those numbers are likely just not that accurate in this particular case...

I think they're a good 1-2 punch.   And I think their differences helps the other....  I like the contrast....    Now, if we can just keep them healthy at the same time,  together, they make a good combination....

Just my two cents....

I don't think will sign barwin, williams, or beatty all had down years. These are  the players i think we will sign.

1 Jermon Bushrod - He's the best pure pass blocking LT available even better then Long and Clady. Also has done a great job protecting Drew Brees blindside and we can move Castonzo to RT where he belongs. Should cost 7 mil a year.

2 Anthony Spencer - I think this guy is a lock to be a colt dallas is over the cap and he's from Fort Wayne Indiana. He had 11 sacks this year and would be  great opposite mathis as a rolb. Should cost 7 mil a year.

3 Louis Vasquez - The best RG  in free agency and is great run and pass blocker. Also with the hiring of Jimmy Raye he should be very easy to get. Should cost 5 mil a year

4 Dominique Rodgers Cromartie - With andy reid being fired from philly  DRC will test the market. With ties to grigson i think he will listen to the colts offer 1st and eventually get signed. DRC is great in man coverage and he and vontae could be the best young duo of cb's in the nfl. should cost 6 mil a year

FA Signings

1.- Andy Levitre OG 

2.- Sebastian Vollmer RT

3.- Armond Armstead DE

4.- Paul Kruger OLB

5.- Cary Williams CB

6.- Jacob Hester HB/FB

NFL Draft 2013

I think we should trade down our first pick to get 2 2nd rounds picks

2nd Round.- Barret Jones OG/C

2nd Round.- Robert Woods WR

3rd Round.- T.J McDonald S

4th Round.- Michael Buchanan DE/OLB

7th Round.- Dustin Hopkins K

QB- Andrew Luck
RB.- Vick Ballard
WR.- Reggie Wayne
         Robert Woods
         TY Hilton
TE.- Coby Fleener/Dwayne Allen
LT.- Anthony Castonzo
LG.- Barret Jones
C.- Samson Satele
RG.- Andy Levitre
RT.- Sebastian Vollmer

RE.- Armond Armstead/ Fili Moala
NT.- Josh Chapman
LE.- Cory Reeding
ROLB.- Paul Kruger
ILB.- Jerrell Freeman
ILB.- Pat Angerer
LOLB.- Robert Mathis
CB1.- Vontae Davis
CB2.- Cary Williams
FS.- Anthoine Bethea
SS.- TJ McDonald

K.- Adam Vinatieri/ Dustin Hopkins

P.- Pat Mcafee

KR.- Deji Karim

PR.- TY Hilton

LS.- Matt Overton

FA Signings

1.- Andy Levitre OG 

2.- Sebastian Vollmer RT

3.- Armond Armstead DE

4.- Paul Kruger OLB

5.- Cary Williams CB

6.- Jacob Hester HB/FB

NFL Draft 2013

I think we should trade down our first pick to get 2 2nd rounds picks

2nd Round.- Barret Jones OG/C

2nd Round.- Robert Woods WR

3rd Round.- T.J McDonald S

4th Round.- Michael Buchanan DE/OLB

7th Round.- Dustin Hopkins K

QB- Andrew Luck

RB.- Vick Ballard

WR.- Reggie Wayne

Robert Woods

TY Hilton

TE.- Coby Fleener/Dwayne Allen

LT.- Anthony Castonzo

LG.- Barret Jones

C.- Samson Satele

RG.- Andy Levitre

RT.- Sebastian Vollmer

RE.- Armond Armstead/ Fili Moala

NT.- Josh Chapman

LE.- Cory Reeding

ROLB.- Paul Kruger

ILB.- Jerrell Freeman

ILB.- Pat Angerer

LOLB.- Robert Mathis

CB1.- Vontae Davis

CB2.- Cary Williams

FS.- Anthoine Bethea

SS.- TJ McDonald

K.- Adam Vinatieri/ Dustin Hopkins

P.- Pat Mcafee

KR.- Deji Karim

PR.- TY Hilton

LS.- Matt Overton

I like the thought but I have a little different take.  I don't think a trade for 2 2nd round picks is going to materialize where the picks are high enough to get B Jones & R Woods.  I am not saying that there isn't a trade for 2 2nd rounders but it would be for one higer in the round pick and one lower.

As far as the free agents go I like the thought but I would sub in J Bushrod at RT(I don't think that the PATS let Vollmer get away because the most important thing for them is to protect Brady), Levitre at LG(I think it will be a familiar name at RG), A Spencer at OLB(I think he just has more talent then Kruger even though Kruger is 2years younger), D Goldson at SS(I think he should be our #1 priority behind OL because there just aren't that many impact players on the market this offseason and he could be one), & go for two lesser corners for the 2nd and 3rd CB spots such as A Cason & M Jenkins(this is where you save money to get Goldson).  I like maybe getting the Armstead kid formerly of USC(CFL guy).

I like the idea of taking an heir apparent to R Wayne at WR in the draft because of guy potentially being on the board late 1st early 2nd like D Hopkins from Clemson, K Allen from Cal, & R Woods from USC.  Not really impressed as of yet with the 2 WRs from Tennessee.  I don't think we need another small WR like Tavon Austin either.

Wayne, Hilton, Brzail, Palmer, Whalen, possibly Collie and/or Avery(not sure if any will be back). DO we need WR. NO. WR is no where the top of our priorties. we have so many holes. MLB and WR are our deepest positions. We need to focus on CB,OLB,OL,DL maybe K bc Vinitari is on his last leg in FA/Draft/Undrafted.

Wayne, Hilton, Brzail, Palmer, Whalen, possibly Collie and/or Avery(not sure if any will be back). DO we need WR. NO. WR is no where the top of our priorties. we have so many holes. MLB and WR are our deepest positions. We need to focus on CB,OLB,OL,DL maybe K bc Vinitari is on his last leg in FA/Draft/Undrafted.

So you think that Collie and Avery could be back.  I don't see it.  Avery dropped to many balls that could have been big plays.  I am skeptical that Collie will ever play football again let alone for the Colts too many injuries and further to many head injuries ( I know the season ender was a knee injury but with all of the concussions he has sustained I as the Colts would not want to put a guy on the field with those problems.)  I give you possibly Whalen.  Also Wayne Hilton and even Brazil.  But I don't think Palmer is anything more than a special team player.  If Avery and Collie are gone they need another reciever.  I am not saying that it should be our #1 priority for the off-season I am saying if the rest of the plan I layed happens then WR is a possiblity.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="392946" data-author="Gavin"><p>What is it with some people wanting to waste a draft pick on a kicker when we can get a tal wr late in the draft and just sign any number of kickers that were not drafted, ya dont waste a pick on a kicker</p></blockquote> <br />You act like drafting a kicker is a completely insane idea. If they get rid of AV in the offseason, then drafting a kicker is an absolutely reasonable thing to do.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="392946" data-author="Gavin"><p>What is it with some people wanting to waste a draft pick on a kicker when we can get a tal wr late in the draft and just sign any number of kickers that were not drafted, ya dont waste a pick on a kicker</p></blockquote> <br />You act like drafting a kicker is a completely insane idea. If they get rid of AV in the offseason, then drafting a kicker is an absolutely reasonable thing to do.

No way would I waste a pick on a kicker

You do know he's a pretty good RT, right? We don't need help at tackle, both Castonzo and Justice have played really well. Our guard situation is another story though.

Justice was average at best when he was healthy but the problem was he was almost never healthy. I dont mind keeping him on cheap as a back up but RT needs upgraded asap along with guard position. maybe if Ben Iljilana(spelling) can get healthy he could help out the o-line I would like to seem them Draft either Barret Jones or DJ Fluker for o-line help and try to add levitre or smith in FA. 

So you're saying that you will take Justin Anderson/Tim Fugger/Chandler Harnish over Blair Walsh?

I'd take a position player even if he is a depth player that is healthy over a kicker any day thats what I am saying, plenty can be had in FA or out of the many that wont be drafted

Justice was average at best when he was healthy but the problem was he was almost never healthy. I dont mind keeping him on cheap as a back up but RT needs upgraded asap along with guard position. maybe if Ben Iljilana(spelling) can get healthy he could help out the o-line I would like to seem them Draft either Barret Jones or DJ Fluker for o-line help and try to add levitre or smith in FA.

I agree Justice had some injury issues ... but i believe when healthy he was above average rather than "average at best"

Grades dont always tell the whole story, but PFF has him graded out pretty well and he probably would have graded out higher if not for the injuries. ... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/