Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's Touchdown Run

DoomOf21

Whether or not Ballard scored on the 3rd down, the refs also screwed up and hurt the Colts by blowing the first 2nd down attempt dead for too many men on the field by the Steelers, when too many men on the field is NOT a dead ball foul. Ballard looked like he scored on that play, although it's hard to say whether he would have without the whistles being blown. But either way, the Colts were supposed to basically have a whole extra play there.

Does anyone know the exact rules for the Luck touchdown run? Collinsworth seemed all flustered that the refs didn't call him short of goal line and given his reasoning (the QB slide rules) I'd have to agree with him. Though he did get hit as he was sliding down, so either it was a touchdown or it would have been a penalty in my opinion.

Collinsworth was espousing frustration, IMO, toward these replacement refs. Last nights crew was extremely hesitant to make calls, as a number of holding and PI calls went undeclared.

As to a penalty for hitting a QB whom declared himself down via a slide; A QB has to reasonably demonstrate that he indeed is downing himself. Due to the circumstance, it is not reasonable to expect that the defenders would think he was declaring himself down at the 1 inch line. Defenders are allowed to defend their goal line as such.

Honestly, neither Ballard nor Luck scored on that drive. Ballard was quite clearly down at the 1/2 yard line. The refs got the no touchdown right but moved the ball way too back.

Luck was also down at the 1/2 yard line because of his slide. It doesn't matter where you hit the ground, it's where you start the slide...

The penalty is iffy. Technically that SHOULD have been an unnecessary roughness call because Luck was clearly sliding before anyone hit him, but it was the goal line...Can't fault the defense at all there.

All in all, I feel it should have ended up 1st and goal at the 1/2 yard line, but...I'll take the TD

Honestly, neither Ballard nor Luck scored on that drive. Ballard was quite clearly down at the 1/2 yard line. The refs got the no touchdown right but moved the ball way too back.

u have to be careful when watching the replay of Ballard's run. If you think he is clearly down at the 1/2 yard line, you may not have noticed when they pause the replay and say his knee is down, it really isnt down. watch right after they pause it and say he is down, they will then unpause for a second and let the replay go further. you then see his knee clearly hit the ground after he is about a 1/2 yard further. Very close play but definitely not "clearly down"

Whether or not Ballard scored on the 3rd down, the refs also screwed up and hurt the Colts by blowing the first 2nd down attempt dead for too many men on the field by the Steelers, when too many men on the field is NOT a dead ball foul. Ballard looked like he scored on that play, although it's hard to say whether he would have without the whistles being blown. But either way, the Colts were supposed to basically have a whole extra play there.

Good point, the play should have continued.

Good point, the play should have continued.

They did it again later in the game, calling the foul on the Steelers before the ball was snapped. No idea how they can manage that, since a player can always run off the field first. And I'm pretty sure it's not like the offense (which can get called before the play for 12 men in the huddle) - it should still be a free play for the offense.

They did it again later in the game, calling the foul on the Steelers before the ball was snapped. No idea how they can manage that, since a player can always run off the field first. And I'm pretty sure it's not like the offense (which can get called before the play for 12 men in the huddle) - it should still be a free play for the offense.

Actually it is a new rule.

12menonthefield.gif

You'll have to click the graphic..

I mean does it really matter? It was pre-season and with Luck, I can guarantee you he will never make that mistake again, enough said.

I don't really see it as a mistake. The ball was probably over the line before his legs hit the ground.

It's not about where the knee hits, it is where he starts the slide(the point that he gives himself up) where they are supposed to blow it dead. In this case, the ball was in between the half yard line and the yard line when he started the process.

Have they altered the rule in the last year or two? If not, then the replay review official in the Colts-Texans Monday night game got it wrong. Everyone remember this one not too long ago?

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nfl-282167

Have they altered the rule in the last year or two? If not, then the replay review official in the Colts-Texans Monday night game got it wrong. Everyone remember this one not too long ago?

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nfl-282167

From the way Mike Pereira discussed it on a Giants broadcast, it seems that the crew in the Colts/Houston game didn't handle it properly. I guess it's open for interpretation for each group of refs.

Also keep in mind that the guy in booth doesn't make any decisions, outside of saying something needs to be reviewed. The head referee is the one that actually reviews the footage(well when given the chance).