Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A different look at Bill Polian (from Peter King)

NewColtsFan

Whew! What a long post and I enjoyed reading your perspective. I view our limited, regular season successes under Polian as mixed. One should never view anything in a vacuum and that is true for the Colts as well. Our "success" during the Polian era can be defined by who is defining "success". If you compare Colts 1984 to 1997 (Indy era, pre Polian) and Colts 1998 to 2011 (Polian era) it is no comparison because during those pre Polian Indy era the team was consistently bad. By comparison there was a huge in improvement during Polian tenure. However in overall comparison to other teams fro 1998 to 2011, the Colts and Polian fall short in a lot of areas. We only won one SB - the ultimate measure of success or failure. We had the one of the best regular season winning percentage during this era but we were only a .500 team in the playoffs. Several teams have done better in the playoffs despite lesser regular seasons records (Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Patriots).

I agree we disagree. You can't win a championship if you don't make the playoffs. I would much rather have 10 shots out of 10 to win a Super Bowl then say only 5 out of 10. Sure the Giants won 2 SBs and we won 1 and lost 1. I would still take our 10 years over theirs. If you measure things by simply your standards everyone that didn't win a championship failed....oh wait...we won one....ok...well every team that didn't get to multiple championships failed...oh wait...we got to two...ok everyone that didn't win multiple championships failed. Oh...so 3 teams succeeded. Everyone else is a failure! I'm sorry but I can't agree with that....perhaps my standards are not good enough...but I'm pretty sure like 28 teams in the NFL would have switched spots with us to have that type of success....and I'm sure if you ask a GM if he can produce a playoff team every year he has his job he would take it too. Polian more than gave us the players to win a championship. We blew several chances through no fault of him. Put that on Peyton or the coach or the defense or whatever.....most of the time it was simply crazy misfortune like a punter avg like 60 yards a punt, or an onside kick, or a shoe string tackle by a qb, or shanked fg, or some mistimed turnovers. I believe we had more than capable teams to win it all. We were Super Bowl contenders..basically every year...that is all you can ask. I agree it was time for a change...due to the roster overhaul, Chris's poor drafting (and Bills overwatching), new staff, new direction but that doesn't make the last 15 years a failure. By your definition Bill was basically better than 28 other teams GMs...and all the ones that got fired. I think he did a fine job. No one is perfect and his era is the most successful basically in Colts history of any other GM. I'm done with this...next thing you know we will be hearing how Peyton Manning's tenure wasn't that good either.

Fact is he was widely successful in all his stops. Thats what most people don't understand. He has been the architecture of some of the most successful and greatest teams during his times. Indeed the teams he built in Buffalo were perhaps even better than what he created here but every circumstance is difference. He put together a team here that went the last decade as the winningst football team of the decade. That is pretty spectacular. That is what kept him on when he stepped aside for Chris. Chris was his downfall and for good reason. Bill didn't choose the schemes. He didn't pick what defense or offense we would have. The coaches decided that. The success of Manning dictated that we draft players to his strengths. We drafted defensive players to Dungy's strengths. It isn't like he favored these kinds of players in Buffalo or Carolina....he drafted all kinds of successful players...based on the teams identity. Seriously....what would be the point of say drafting say Revis to only have him play 10 yards off in zone coverage? What is the use of drafting say a lb like Willis or Lewis and then drop them 15 yards back in a deep center zone where they couldn't utilize their strength, power, and quickness to read running backs. Whats the point of drafting say Randy Moss when your qb likes wrs that run perfectly timed and crisp routes to be where he expects them...not just big tall guys to throw it up to. Fact is he built the team as the team dictated he built it....and it was EXTREMELY successful. Not saying he was the best or greatest ever but how many SBs have the greatest defense of the last decade won and played in (Baltimore)...1....how many have the Jets with Revis...or Dallas with all their studs....or the Bears with their defenses...or lots of teams. Fact is there were basically only 2 teams more successful than us during his tenure with us (as far as SB). New England and Pittsburgh. We had our shot at both...and a couple times with superior teams we lost to them. 2003 and 2005 we were undoubtedly the most talented team in the league...we blew it...Bill didn't....and you know what...he didn't blow it up...he stayed the course...got us to two more SBs. He didn't play a down so he doesn't deserve all the credit or the blame but he gave us the guys with the potential to win...and he did HIS job. He can't do any more than he did. Second guess all you want we were LUCKY to have him. Injuries and some age killed the run....2010 I think we had another SB caliber roster but injuries decimated us. Then doomsday with Peyton in 2011 and thats all she wrote. Guy is a football legend and a sure fire HOF inductee at some point you watch. He should have never let Chris run things and it was indeed time for a change so I have no hard feelings but some people are sooo ungrateful for the contributions of others to their Colts. I just gave you the history we had in the 80's and 90s before he got here but thats ok. Doesn't mean with him gone we can't be successful again but man...he did a good job doing something no other GM could do during his time here and people hate on him. Not all but several....like he is the reason for that one bad year..and him alone. People crying over 1 bad year after over a decade of the most successful football we probably will ever see.

No question Bill Polian is first ballot HOF GM DG. I'd like to see HC Bill Parcells and Bill Polian go in together next year actually. Polian was a genius in selecting HOF roster talent too. I don't hate Bill at all. I just didn't like to see Chris Polian rise so quickly in INDY to a level he never deserved or earned. Heck DG, perhaps you should submit your resume for an NFL GM position. I'd give you an interview, but I don't own a multibillion dollar franchise either...details, details... haha:thmup:

No question Bill Polian is first ballot HOF GM DG. I'd like to see HC Bill Parcells and Bill Polian go in together next year actually. Polian was a genius in selecting HOF roster talent too. I don't hate Bill at all. I just didn't like to see Chris Polian rise so quickly in INDY to a level he never deserved or earned. Heck DG, perhaps you should submit your resume for an NFL GM position. I'd give you an interview, but I don't own a multibillion dollar franchise either...details, details... haha:thmup:

I would never want to be a GM or coach. The pressure to succeed is WAY to high. Sleepless nights and on and on. I value my family too much. Be one of those media pundits on Sunday morning pregame show....sign me up lol.

I agree Parcells should be in today. That said I think people were worried he wasn't done coaching. After he passed up on Saints position this last year....I believe he will get voted in. Polian will have to sit out for awhile...but eventually he will get in. He has a long line of successes of team building that are hard to surpass.

Like others have said I think his age would be a big knock against him being a GM again. Not that he isn't smart enough but I don't know if he has the drive to be that guy that works into the night working on building a team. Certainly a consultant would be fine. I do agree that when Polian promoted his son that was the sign it was time for him to go. When you go down that road and when someone is pulling back....that means they are done in my eyes. The fire isn't there and I would never have allowed his son to work here to begin with. Bill has enough pull in this league to get him a job just about anywhere. That was Irsay's fault not Bills. It was time for a change as soon as Bill didn't want to run all the day to day operations. I know we didn't want to rock the ship of a team that was a SB contender but if you wanted him out...that was the time. Not sad to see him go. He had a nice run and it was time.

I think you fellas should probably pump your brakes on the Polian HoF talk. He's in a long line.

From 1986-2011

-41 GMs have appeared in a SB

-7  Multi-Championship Winning GM’s (Gibbs,Young,Walsh,Jones,Beake,Belichick,Colbert)

-10 GMs have Multiple SB appearances (Gibbs, Young, Walsh, Jones, Beake, Belichick, Colbert,Wolf,Shaw/Zygmunt,Polian)

-No GM has more Losses than Bill Polian (4)

-Most Appearances are tied by Polian and Beake (5)((Beake was 2-3 Denver))

-21 GMs have made 1 appearance. They are 6-15

-Bill Polian has the 2nd most years of experience at 26. Shaw in StL with 31 seasons. Newsome with 21. Jones with 19. Young 17. Beake at 15.

-In the last 26 years Bill Polian has the most regular season wins(248)of any SB appearing GM.

-Polian has the 5th highest winning percentage .647%…Belicheck .863%, Vanisi .725%, Gibbs .673% , Colbert .653%, Polian, Wolf .639%,  Beake .626%

- 4 GMs won a SB or more without a HoF QB. Young,Gibbs,Newsome and Mckay….(withholding judgement on Reese (Eli Manning),Thompson (Rodgers), and Colbert (Big Ben).

-2 GMs had 2 HoF QB’s. Walsh with Montana/Young Polian with Kelly/Manning

I think you fellas should probably pump your brakes on the Polian HoF talk. He's in a long line.

From 1986-2011

-7 Multi-Championship Winning GM’s (Gibbs,Young,Walsh,Jones,Beake,Belichick,Colbert)

-10 GMs have Multiple SB appearances (Gibbs, Young, Walsh, Jones, Beake, Belichick, Colbert,Wolf,Shaw/Zygmunt,Polian)

-Bill Polian has the 2nd most years of experience at 26. Shaw in StL with 31 seasons. Newsome with 21. Jones with 19. Young 17. Beake at 15.

-In the last 26 years Bill Polian has the most regular season wins(248)of any SB appearing GM.

-Polian has the 5th highest winning percentage .647%…Belicheck .863%, Vanisi .725%, Gibbs .673% , Colbert .653%, Polian, Wolf .639%, Beake .626%

- 4 GMs won a SB or more without a HoF QB. Young,Gibbs,Newsome and Mckay….(withholding judgement on Reese (Eli Manning),Thompson (Rodgers), and Colbert (Big Ben).

Scott Norwood kicking wide right was the difference between Polian being 1-5 and 2-3, which would be the same as Beake.

Polian's issue, I still believe, was his coaching choices. Marv Levy, Tony Dungy - all great men, but not great coaches and were outcoached at the playoff level by the likes of Parcell, Gibbs and Belichick.

Much like Marv Levy, Dan Reeves used to get outcoached too with the Broncos. Once Mike Shanahan came about, the Broncos won 2 SBs. That is why Elway exactly understands Peyton, carrying good to average teams and coaches on his back as a HOF QB to SB appearances, at least in his first 3 SB appearances. Ironic Elway had to beat Dan Reeves when Reeves took Falcons to SB.

From 1986-2011

-7 Multi-Championship Winning GM’s (Gibbs,Young,Walsh,Jones,Beake,Belichick,Colbert)

-Polian has the 5th highest winning percentage .647%…Belicheck .863%, Vanisi .725%, Gibbs .673% , Colbert .653%, Polian, Wolf .639%, Beake .626%

I don't think there's a blemish on his record of accomplishments other than there's only one Super Bowl win. And I don't think HOF voters are going to hold that against him.

I don't think there's a blemish on his record of accomplishments other than there's only one Super Bowl win. And I don't think HOF voters are going to hold that against him.

No. Not at all. But others are just as deserving. And some of them didn't have nearly the time span polian had.

People tend to forget there are other teams in the NFL with other GMs.

Wasn't he fired after a SB yr in Buffalo? The 3rd one?

Yup - because he didn't get along with the Bills owner who had interpersonal relationship issues of his own. The guy who signs the checks wins. Polian calmed down substantially since then and his relationship with Irsay was clearly much better.

Its like people think you have to hate the old regime to like the new Colts around here. Peyton who? Dungy was too soft. Polian was terrible!

I was fine moving on from Bill because clearly his son didn't have the same talents but he built a very successful team and gave us numerous numerous chances to win. We possibly could have drafted tons of guys but would they still had the same success in our system? Who knows? If some didn't get injured...some plays changed...lots of things...point was we were a pillar of the league along with the Patriots and Steelers for YEARS. Teams tried to build themselves after us and we were always looked at as a contender.

Not only that but they forget he helped build one of the greatest dynasties in the early 90s as well in Buffalo. Was it his fault they lost 4 straight SBs? That he took an expansion team in the Panthers in a couple years and put them in the playoffs? Man was great. Things fell apart and he obviously had given up total control....so him leaving was appropriately timed...but when exactly would you have gotten rid of him? When we were winning all those division titles and playing New England for the Conference Championships? After we won SB in 2006. Perhaps it was after we lost SB 2009. Perhaps after we lost in the playoffs in 2010? Fact was 2011 was a perfect storm of BAD...so we rebuilt. Don't see why we have to tear down our past 15 years of success to justify this team? Makes me sick. Perhaps people need to remember what we were before Bill got here? You remember what the Colts have been since coming to Indy. 84-97 we were the laughing stock of the league until capt comback and Marshall gave us a few good playoff runs. Lets be honest we drafted Jeff George #1, Steve Emtman #1, Quentin Coryatt #2, Jon Hand #4, Trev Alberts #5, Duane Bickett #5, Leonard Coleman #8, Ellis Johnson #15, Sean Dawkins #16, Ron Solt #19. Totally screwed up the John Elway thing....look what we got in that deal. Sure we picked Andre Rison and Cornelius Bennett only to get rid of them. Fact is...we were a mess and it wasn't just PM that made everything better. The right coaches helped (Dungy) and front office (Polian). I would take Polian a million times over what we had....its not even close and to hear you say that about him...just tells me you are a hater. We all know Bill was a jerk...IDK if our new guys are a jerk too...I may not respect them as far as them personally but coaching/team building....I will love them. I will take 15 years basically like the last right now...today...over the unknown.

Well said. In addition I will point out that things weren't all that fantastic before the move to Indy. (Can you say "Art Schlicter"?) If they had been the team likely wouldn't have moved in the first place. Polian was significantly responsible for turning the page on 2+ decades of misery. To assume that he is actually the problem is just absurd. To assume that Grigson is better (based on what?) is equally absurd. I will live in trepidation about his abilities until proven otherwise. I've seen way too many others fail psychotically.

By the way, Polian also built two CFL teams that won championships. His resume is unbelievable.

We were in the conversation for "best team in football" every single year from 2003-2010, and things weren't all that bad from 99-2002 either. Edge of my seat every game, every week - into the playoffs every year. I've NEVER gotten more satisfaction from a sports franchise in my life. I would not have been interested in converting half of those years into "ah, we're OK but not going anywhere. Go find something else to do for three months and wait until next year" in trade for one more Super Bowl. Who cares! I think that to some people what matters is the trophies on the wall so they can pound their chest to other fans retrospectively. That means absolutely nothing to me. It's the pleasure and possibilities the team provides on a daily basis that I care about, and Polian supplied as much of that for us as any GM in the history of the sport. The comparison I make is: "Who would you rather be a fan of, the Atlanta Braves or the Florida Marlins?" The Marlins after all have two championships instead of one in their brief history. Does not the fact that they've been intentionally unwatchable through 90% of their history come into play at all? I'd take those HOF pitchers coming close and making summer a joy - year after year after year - over a couple of aberrational backdoor championships by players whose names I can't even remember ANY time. Not even freaking close. So why would I pick the Giants or Steelers recent history over ours? And what other team besides the Patriots are even in the conversation? And by the way, if you think Polian is annoying, they have the king of dysfunction running that team, and a QB who is so annoying that I wouldn't make that trade either. What we had was extraordinary.

This painful transition (on many fronts) we are going through is all about people taking the old guard for granted and trying to minimize them to justify feeling more optimistic about the future. How does that help anything? Things change, and only history will tell if it's for the better. How about just saying "thank you" for the past as we sadly move on instead of ripping it to shreds.

No. Not at all. But others are just as deserving. And some of them didn't have nearly the time span polian had.

Wouldn't you say that Polian's longevity is a bonus for him?

People tend to forget there are other teams in the NFL with other GMs.

Meh. You take it upon yourself to remind Colts fans that football exists outside of Indianapolis. I don't think this is homerism at all. "Dallas Clark is the best tight end in the NFL" is homerism. Calling Bill Polian a HOFer is just calling it what it is. People around the league, former players, coaches, execs, writers, etc., all refer to Polian as being worthy.

Check out this excerpt from Chicago Tribune, where the writer is suggesting that Polian should be hired to replace Jerry Angelo:

The immediate next move involves picking up the phone Tuesday and calling Bill Polian, the Hall of Fame-caliber executive who was inexplicably fired Monday by the Colts.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-03/sports/chi-haugh-bears-0103_1_bill-polian-bears-halas-hall

Colts fans are harder on Polian than anyone else. But the sentiment that he has HOF credentials isn't just a Colts fan perspective. It's widely held throughout the NFL universe, and Polian's credentials were highlighted in the excerpt of Peter King's article where Alex Marvez and NFL officials all praised Polian. He's won six Exec of the Year awards, a national honor.

I'm not itching to have him back. It was definitely time for him to go, and he certainly has his faults as a GM. But his credentials are Hall worthy.

the whole "well, the team was built around peyton" is a * argument. the colts stunk because his drafting went into the tank, he had a disdain for free agencey, and hired mediocre coaches.

Exactly.....look at his last 5 drafts, for Christ's sake. Complete and utter incompetence.

Wouldn't you say that Polian's longevity is a bonus for him?

Meh. You take it upon yourself to remind Colts fans that football exists outside of Indianapolis. I don't think this is homerism at all. "Dallas Clark is the best tight end in the NFL" is homerism. Calling Bill Polian a HOFer is just calling it what it is. People around the league, former players, coaches, execs, writers, etc., all refer to Polian as being worthy.

Check out this excerpt from Chicago Tribune, where the writer is suggesting that Polian should be hired to replace Jerry Angelo:

http://articles.chic...ears-halas-hall

Colts fans are harder on Polian than anyone else. But the sentiment that he has HOF credentials isn't just a Colts fan perspective. It's widely held throughout the NFL universe, and Polian's credentials were highlighted in the excerpt of Peter King's article where Alex Marvez and NFL officials all praised Polian. He's won six Exec of the Year awards, a national honor.

I'm not itching to have him back. It was definitely time for him to go, and he certainly has his faults as a GM. But his credentials are Hall worthy.

Sure to, an extent his longevity aids hims. But it also increases the arguments for others. Its a two sided coin. What took Polian 20yrs to do, some did in 15 etc.

Im not claiming its homerism. Im claiming that others, who have similar track records and success, who have been eligible before him, are still waiting.

Again, not debatings his creditinals, but those are shared by many others, and there are only so many spots per year avail. It will be a significant amount of time before he is voted in, perhaps not even in his lifetime.

Sure to, an extent his longevity aids hims. But it also increases the arguments for others. Its a two sided coin. What took Polian 20yrs to do, some did in 15 etc.

Im not claiming its homerism. Im claiming that others, who have similar track records and success, who have been eligible before him, are still waiting.

Again, not debatings his creditinals, but those are shared by many others, and there are only so many spots per year avail. It will be a significant amount of time before he is voted in, perhaps not even in his lifetime.

No fair in trying to bring some semblance of objectivity to the discussion. Polian has an overall body of good work but he isn't the best GM of all time and his eventual selection to the HoF should be up for serious debate and discussion. I believe some of his supporters just can't or won't admit that he was and is a flawed GM. it appears that some believe that the history and tradition and wins for the Colts began and ended with the Polian era. It didn't. Anyone can take a slice out of any team's history and make a case for that slice to be the best or worst depending on what case they are trying to make. That is why you have to look at the overall body of work - wins, losses, comparisons with peers, longetivity and yes, even perception from the media and fans as an element in the overall evaluation. As IndyTrav pointed out in his posts Polian overall body of work is good in comparison with other GMs careers, but it is hardly unique. It is even debatable where he should be considered on the list of really good GMs.

Interesting. I still think Bill Polian did great things for the Colts. It got a little old and I think the biggest problem was trying to turn things over to his kid, who isn't Bill Polian. We can't all do what daddy did.

I agree with this, but DD on 1070 I think hit the nail on the head...

"Things got STALE". . and I totally agree...

It actually started in Dungy's last season. And he left. Enter JC..... ughhhhhhh

New coach.. trying his best to be the old coach (TD).

stale is the perfect description. if not OLD..

Things change fast in the NFL and Indy simply never made needed adjustments in talent and philosophy.,

My dad calls it "FAT AND SLEEPY".....

Go Pags

Go Colts....

Go Luck.........

I agree with this, but DD on 1070 I think hit the nail on the head...

"Things got STALE". . and I totally agree...

It actually started in Dungy's last season. And he left. Enter JC..... ughhhhhhh

New coach.. trying his best to be the old coach (TD).

stale is the perfect description. if not OLD..

Things change fast in the NFL and Indy simply never made needed adjustments in talent and philosophy.,

My dad calls it "FAT AND SLEEPY".....

Go Pags

Go Colts....

Go Luck.........

So true - it was a needed change.

I hope you don't get the impression that I believe Polian is the best GM of all time. I believe I'm being objective about his body of work. When I say that he has his faults, I mean it, which should make it clear that I don't believe he was without flaws or that he was perfect as a GM. The Colts had good GMs before Polian, and I believe they have a good one in Grigson now. It was time for Polian to go, and I don't miss him. I mean it when I say that, whether some recognize that or not.

That said, I do think he was a good GM and he has a very strong case for the HOF. I don't know whether he'll get there in his lifetime or not, or whether he'll be in on his first chance. I don't really care about any of that. To be honest, I don't care whether he goes or not, really. It's inconsequential to me. My only suggestion was that I don't think voters will hold his "one Super Bowl" against him. That's just my opinion.

the whole "well, the team was built around peyton" is a * argument. the colts stunk because his drafting went into the tank, he had a disdain for free agencey, and hired mediocre coaches.

I hated that also. It's multiple why BP failed, but him not giving Peyton the defense he needed is MY main reason why I didn't like him.

And some draft picks boggled me also. I think we had the chance to draft Hakeem Nicks but chose someone else. Or something like that.

I've steered clear of this topic for a while because it's kind of a touchy subject for many Colts fans, but I'll go ahead and add my 2 cents. For the 1st 5 or 6 yrs. of Polians time here, I was completely onboard with his approach, but as time went on, it seemed like everybody outside of the organization seen the obvious weaknesses the Colts had and continually pointed them out, but it seemed Polian was heck bent on trying to prove others wrong and that he was a genius.

Fans of other teams that Polian had been a part of already knew the man was this way, but like most Colts fans at the time I was a little blinded by his success here. As time went on and Polian still either refused to address weaknesses or tried to address them with mediocre or inferior talent, it quickly started to get on my nerves. I started hearing stories about him being a dictator and just treating others bad in the organization(not to mention the media and fans) and my dislike for him grew even more.

It became abundantly clear to me that his time had passed him by and that he was living off of his past success. For the question of whether he's a HOF'er or not is not for me to answer, but I would say that he is still highly thought of in the football world, so I would just imagine that his peers will vote him in and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets in on his 1st attempt.

I hated that also. It's multiple why BP failed, but him not giving Peyton the defense he needed is MY main reason why I didn't like him.

And some draft picks boggled me also. I think we had the chance to draft Hakeem Nicks but chose someone else. Or something like that.

that would be donald brown