Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Reitz was our best O-lineman after Saturday in 2011

chad72

Personally, I think Joe Reitz is underestimated either because he is a former TE converted to OL and is not rated highly because he is a castoff.

I thought he was our best lineman after Saturday last year. Castanzo made more mistakes than Reitz, from what I can remember.

I think Joe Reitz can get the job done. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but he will beat out Linkenbach, IMO. I think he has to be given one more year at guard to improve upon what he showed last year, IMO.

Thoughts??

Personally, I think Joe Reitz is underestimated either because he is a former TE converted to OL and is not rated highly because he is a castoff.

I thought he was our best lineman after Saturday last year. Castanzo made more mistakes than Reitz, from what I can remember.

I think Joe Reitz can get the job done. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but he will beat out Linkenbach, IMO. I think he has to be given one more year at guard to improve upon what he showed last year, IMO.

Thoughts??

i think he is clearly the favorite to win the job.

Reitz is a better pass blocker then Link without question, but as far run blocking Reitz isn't good at all, as for our 2nd best O Lineman last year Deim. if Reitz gets the starting spot forget about running the ball behind him he isn't strong enough to play Guard, he was brought in originally to play Tight End and groomed to play Tackle for cryin out loud in other words he is athletic and is better suited to play Tackle, playing Guard you have to have a mean streak and Reitz doesn't appear to have that either

2011 O-linemen guards and centers pass blocking efficiencies

2011 O-linemen tackles pass blocking efficiencies

Just some stats to chew on. Diem did not have a stellar year on the pass blocking front but he did give us more as a run blocking guard.

I feel that in the previous offensive system, pass blocking was a harder thing to master than run blocking. We still need guards to pull and an old guy like Diem was getting long in the tooth to do that, IMO. So, an athletic guard that was a former TE is definitely not a bad thing.

You miss an assignment in pass blocking, you get your QB killed down the middle as a guard. However, if you miss an assignment in run blocking, you probably get your RB stopped in his tracks. If I had to choose a better pass protector or better run blocker in the current league, I'd go with the former. I do think the latter can be acquired but the intelligence to know all the protection assignments and do it right is probably higher on my list. The push for run blocking is probably more a technique issue than intelligence or strength issue with Reitz.

What I don't understand is why they replaced a solid contributor to our line with a player who has proven that he cannot perform. It's a baffling call to play Link in front of Reitz.

I agree with ya Chad, Reitz is quite overlooked. I believe he's only a short term solution and he is replaceable, but he was pretty good last year, at least better than Link.

This is Reitz first full training camp as an OG. I have not seen Link at left guard. Would love to analyze. As right tackle he was simply obliterated by the speed/ bull rush.

As a basketball guru, the butt aka A** is used regularly to block out. See Oakley and Barkley in my day and D Howard/Kendrick Perkins today.

I will not give up on Reitz.....I am fine with Link as a backup across the line. Reitz can and will get the footwork down. Glad he is healthy and in a FULL camp!!

Reitz is a better pass blocker then Link without question, but as far run blocking Reitz isn't good at all, as for our 2nd best O Lineman last year Deim. if Reitz gets the starting spot forget about running the ball behind him he isn't strong enough to play Guard, he was brought in originally to play Tight End and groomed to play Tackle for cryin out loud in other words he is athletic and is better suited to play Tackle, playing Guard you have to have a mean streak and Reitz doesn't appear to have that either

you don't think reitz made strides strength wise in the off season ?

you don't think reitz made strides strength wise in the off season ?

Well I dont know how much the guy benches now if thats what you mean but he clearly lacked the strength and physicality to move and bully people on opposing teams D Lines consistently last year,I bet he got stronger but I doubt a whole lot, he got knocked back quite a bit to me last year, he was pretty good in pass protection that isn't a real concern to me, from a STRICTLY run blocking stand point a O Line like Hicks is the way to go as far as a violent run blocker who is pretty good in pass protection, Do I think Hicks is better in pass protection? No but Reitz only gave up two sacks (At least thats what I read) but I think Hicks is by far a better run blocker then Reitz. I have said it before and I will it again, I am not against seeing what Reitz can do at Right Tackle splitting time with Justice to see who is better, thats what Reitz was groomed to be in Baltimore because of his athleticism, yes you have to be somewhat athletic to be Guard but being physical and strong and holding your ground and being able to maul Defensive Tackles is more important in my opinion, how many Defensive Tackles do you hear of that praised because they have Dwight Freeney like athleticism and quickness? Most are praised because they have the power to fight past a big strong mean Guard and ocassionally both the Center and Guard if that D Tackle is that good