Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What will it take for luck to be better than Manning?

kansascolt

It's almost impossible to say. It's not possible to objectively judge players who play on different teams with different coaches and different systems. My point of view is just to let Luck be Luck; I won't be comparing him to Peyton and expecting him to do Peyton-esque things. Let him be himself and reach his potential instead of constantly pressuring him with comparisons to Peyton

Exactly, Luck doesn't have to be better than Manning, that's so beyond the point. He just has to help the Colts win. Let the mediots ask their dumb questions and talk about unimportant comparisons. Justifying the decision is not important, building a future and winning is.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this topic has been done to the point of ad nauseum, but I can't resist asking this question and getting other colts fans thoughts.

So what point has it been done to now?

The next time you're looking for some excitement, I'd suggest instead asking your spouse "have you put on a few pounds recently?

Peyton is going to stop wars. Peyton will cure cancer. Peyton will pay my bills too I bet if I asked him. Peyton feeds the poor. If I am sitting outside and get too hot and need something to drink, Peyton will emerge magically and hand me a glass of water.

In all honesty who is sick of Peyton vs. Luck threads lately? If so raise your hand.

20120629_jel_aq4_046_large.jpg

Will he love me? Will he love my neighbor? Trick question, nobody love my neighbor

No pressure or anything he just has to be the best QB to ever play the game to be better than Manning...

With that said he doesn't have to be better than Manning to be good enough for us to get over Manning. We just ned him to be the best QB he can be and hey maybe he ends up being like Steve Young. Not better than Joe Montana but still a Hall of Fame QB. If he does something like that Luck will be beloved in Indianapolis and people will talk about how lucky Colts fans were to get to watch Manning and Luck back-to-back and for some fans get to watch three Hall of Fame QBs in Johnny U, Manning, and Luck. Not too many franchises can say that other than maybe Packers fans with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers if Rodgers keeps going on the pace he's on.

In some ways Luck will never be better. Unfortunately I never got to see Manning play in person & probably won't since it'll be about 3-4 yrs before. GB plays Denver. Peyton has a way of calling plays like nobody I've ever seen. Will Luck win more SBs? Only time will tell

Too many are way too obsessed with the best ever/GOAT arguments at QB.

Does it really matter? All time greats are all time greats. Who cares who is 1, 4, 8 etc. We all have our own opinions on this anyway and can go in countless directions.

Lets worry more about having a good to great team again more then how Luck will fair in history down the road. Obviously I want Luck to be great but I can't worry about his place in history either vs. Manning or whomever when he hasn't even played yet.

Look bottom line he may never be better than PM,but doesnt have to be to be a great one,I agree with 21Superman on this one,each great quarterback has there own strengths and weaknesses,so lets be fair about it,It also has to do with supporting cast IMO

Beautifully stated on both counts, Jay Kirk & Jules. Let Peyton & Luck play & let the chips fall where they may. Comparisons are meaningless & an exercise in futility.

Interesting topic and I will put it to you like this.

Aaron Rodgers is unlikely to match Brett Favre's NFL career stat line on sheer numbers alone though there is every chance he will end his career rated a better QB than his former mentor. I'd say the same can be said for Andrew Luck and the unenviable comparison to Peyton Manning. Manning's numbers are near untouchable, but numbers alone aren't the be all and end all.

Peyton, as great is he was here and will continue to be in Denver, will look back at his time with us and dwell on missed opportunities. I don't think we will see that admitted publicly, though whilst we got one Super Bowl ring during the Manning era, I think we missed out on at least one if not two rings. If Andrew Luck can capitalise on opportunities presented in the playoffs and win multiple rings, he can go on to have an arguably better career here at Indianapolis.

I loved the rid Peyton gave us and I am equally excited about the Andrew Luck era. I ask all Colts fans for patience, especially this season. Luck has all the tools to be a Hall Of Fame calibre QB though he enters a situation much worse than Peyton did in his rookie season in my opinion. I don't expect 3762 yards and 26 TDs like Manning's rookie season, though I believe we will see the start of a GREAT NFL career.

Be himself first, lots and lots and lots of practice, patience, understand you dont have to do it all on your own, perfect your craft and dont get caught up in all the media and fan comparison. Just do what you have to do to be prepared once he steps out on to that field. Outplay every QB he faces put up huge numbers every season and win no less then 10 to12 win every season. Win more then three superbowls. O and manybe 4 or 6 MVPs and he will be better.

Luck is a runner... it "will' s

No pressure or anything he just has to be the best QB to ever play the game to be better than Manning...

With that said he doesn't have to be better than Manning to be good enough for us to get over Manning. We just ned him to be the best QB he can be and hey maybe he ends up being like Steve Young. Not better than Joe Montana but still a Hall of Fame QB. If he does something like that Luck will be beloved in Indianapolis and people will talk about how lucky Colts fans were to get to watch Manning and Luck back-to-back and for some fans get to watch three Hall of Fame QBs in Johnny U, Manning, and Luck. Not too many franchises can say that other than maybe Packers fans with Starr, Favre, and Rodgers if Rodgers keeps going on the pace he's on.

WIN..... cures all evil's...

Bert Jones was bought in to replace Unitas. He played 10 yrs in the NFL and for 3 of those he made Colts fans go Johnny Who ? He won MVP honors in 76. Took the Colts to 3 straight playoff appearances and lost all 3 in the first round. Up until 04 he was the Colts single season record holder not Unitas. For those 3 yrs he was one of the best QB's in the league. Unfortunately a seperated shoulder pretty much side-lined him for 2 yrs. and a spinal-injury ended his career. Imagine what could have happened only if.

Luck needs to have the one thing Peyton had all those years to even equal his numbers an ability to remain upright and healthy. They say this kid is special he can do all the things the afore-mentioned guys could do. What I would hate to see is Luck end up like Jones.One of the best QB's of a decade that no kid under 30 has ever heard of.

It will depend on how one looks at it.

In my opinion there are 3 ways people view things like this.

Rings, Stats and Eyes.

Rings

If a team is built and he wins his 2nd ring(since it seems like he already has one, or does he already have 2 at this point), either way, if a complete team is built and he wins more rings than Manning did here, some will say that he is better. I find that blanket statement a bit foolish.

Stats

Some will say if he throws 400 td's as a Colt, he will be better.

Some will say if he wins 142 games, throws for 54,829, he will be better.

Eyes

Will he make the how did he do that throws? Will he play the position better than anyone before him? I doubt he will be asked to carry the team like Manning, he better not. I don't see him completing that task.

In the end, a better team should be easy to be built. A quarterback that plays an equal number of years or the given 20 that Luck will play he should easily surpass those #'s. If an 18 game schedule is added to the equation then the previous historic #'s will fall even quicker.

It will all come down to the individual. Heck to some they are already equals and he hasn't thrown his first pass. Of course there isn't much to be said for that.

He has his work cut out for him.

FJC,

I just wanted to say that you do a really nice job of integrating facts, statistics, and provocative, sound reasoning in all your posts. You are a gifted writer who condenses elaborate detail very well without boring people and your essential thesis is always precise and clear. I just thought you deserved to be praised and commended for that my friend. I, myself, am not well versed in statistics, but your writing always makes me see the relevance in numbers as a measuring stick in the NFL. In addition, you also grasp playbooks, routes, and gap control.

I myself deal with the eye test. I may not know formations, snap counts, or a QB cadence, but I know flawless execution when I see it. I also am fascinated with lockroom chemistry, front office decisions, and grinding through personal adversity. Call me Mr. Public Relations I guess.

Nice job FJC. Keep it up!!!

FJC,

I just wanted to say that you do a really nice job of integrating facts, statistics, and provocative, sound reasoning in all your posts. You are a gifted writer who condenses elaborate detail very well without boring people and your essential thesis is always precise and clear. I just thought you deserved to be praised and commended for that my friend. I, myself, am not well versed in statistics, but your writing always makes me see the relevance in numbers as a measuring stick in the NFL. In addition, you also grasp playbooks, routes, and gap control.

I myself deal with the eye test. I may not know formations, snap counts, or a QB cadence, but I know flawless execution when I see it. I also am fascinated with lockroom chemistry, front office decisions, and grinding through personal adversity. Call me Mr. Public Relations I guess.

Nice job FJC. Keep it up!!!

I don't know about all that, but I do appreciate the kind comments.

Every place needs a good PR guy... Those go under-appreciated.

LUCK is going to stop wars. LUCK will cure cancer. LUCK will pay my bills too I bet if I asked him. LUCK feeds the poor. If I am sitting outside and get too hot and need something to drink, LUCK will emerge magically and hand me a glass of water.

In all honesty who is sick of Peyton vs. Luck threads lately? If so raise your hand.

peyton-manning-super-bowl-trophy.jpg

THERE.. FIXED IT. That is how you sound and come off as.

I know this topic has been done to the point of ad nauseum, but I can't resist asking this question and getting other colts fans thoughts. In my opinion, there is only one way for Luck to be remotely considered a better Q.B. than Manning and that is to win more super bowls. I don't think he'll ever match Peyton's stats, but personally, thats something I can live with, so long as Luck can bring us more than one Super Bowl. Thoughts?

Peyton is probably the best QB ever, so I don't even want to compare Luck to him. I'm just hoping Luck will be a Top 5 QB in the league in 3-5 years. Anything more would be just icing on the cake.

No disrespect, GoColts, but fans don't need to get over Manning, they need to get over themselves. JMO.

You know warhorse, if you are just itching for new QB comparisons you should head to NFL General. Several threads now trashing and nitpicking Drew Brees! I think he is next on the list. Brady has already been torn to pieces so why bother. Rodgers does not have enough years to tear him down yet completely. Of course the rest all stink you know.......

You know warhorse, if you are just itching for new QB comparisons you should head to NFL General. Several threads now trashing and nitpicking Drew Brees! I think he is next on the list. Brady has already been torn to pieces so why bother. Rodgers does not have enough years to tear him down yet completely. Of course the rest all stink you know.......

Speak for your self it's all about Eli manning now not that punk Rodgers! ;)

Speak for your self it's all about Eli manning now not that punk Rodgers! ;)

I can dig Eli. Moxie in the 4th..clutch. I dig it very much.

Not enough consistency at times for my tastes but then again we'll see this season. This will be a telling season for Mr. Eli IMO. I almost expect the Giants to start 6-2 again and then we'll see how the second half rolls around and if they make the postseason.

Eli might be the best postseason QB we have today. I always thought Brady was overrated in that regard.

LUCK is going to stop wars. LUCK will cure cancer. LUCK will pay my bills too I bet if I asked him. LUCK feeds the poor. If I am sitting outside and get too hot and need something to drink, LUCK will emerge magically and hand me a glass of water.

Didn't you know? Clark Kent is our QB now.

Also the hypocrisy in their statements.

peyton-manning-super-bowl-trophy.jpg

lol you already got 3 likes for that.

If all it took to pad my rep numbers is pics of Manning from the usual suspects then why didn't someone alarm me of this months ago!!!! Darn it.

Eli's playoff numbers-

8 wins 3 losses

17 touchdown passes 3 interceptions for

1.545 touchdowns per game rounded up 1.55 touchdowns per game

3.666 or rounded up 3.67 interceptions

in 8 wins he has 2.66 interceptions per game

in 8 wins he also has 2.12 passing touchdowns per game

Eli's playoff numbers-

8 wins 3 losses

Really Gavin?

Whats with the QB number obsession lately?

Eli's playoff numbers-

8 wins 3 losses

What?

Eli Manning------Cmp-Att-CMP%--YDS--TD-INT-Rate-Y/A-AY/A
11 Games 219 356 61.5% 2516 17 8 89.3 7.07 7.01

I don't know how you got your number, but he doesn't have 2.66 INTs per game. He has 1.

lol you already got 3 likes for that.

If all it took to pad my rep numbers is pics of Manning from the usual suspects then why didn't someone alarm me of this months ago!!!! Darn it.

I had missed that eariler, now she has "4" ;)

I had missed that eariler, now she has "4" ;)

Yeah great, I think she might be the same one who harassed me in pm months ago. Great person.

I guess I don't fit "the clique". Oh well. Probably means I am smarter then I thought I was though.

I am all for private conversations though if they are done politely.

What?

Eli Manning------Cmp-Att-CMP%--YDS--TD-INT-Rate-Y/A-AY/A
11 Games 219 356 61.5% 2516 17 8 89.3 7.07 7.01

I don't know how you got your number, but he doesn't have 2.66 INTs per game. He has 1.

11 games divided by 3 interceptions