Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Demaryius Thomas on Peyton Manning

BayAreaBronco

http://www.ajc.com/sports/demaryius-thomas-on-peyton-1465852.html

Here is the Peyton portion of the interview:

Q: Where were you when heard that Peyton Manning had signed?

A: I was back in Georgia. I was in Atlanta. When I heard the talk about it, I never thought it was going to be true, but once I found out, I was excited, but I was nervous at the same time.

Q: Why were you nervous?

A: That's a Hall of Famer. He didn't pick a team just to go to a team. He wants to win a championship. That puts pressure on certain people. I want to win one, too, but he's been in the league awhile. He's come [to Denver] to win one soon. We're going to work hard together, and hopefully we can get that goal.

Q: What have your impressions been?

A: Great guy. A leader. All about football. When it's time for football, [he is] all about football. I think he's one of the biggest leaders I've seen since I've been playing.

Q: I've read he's been pretty tough on you in your work together.

A: He's tough on everybody. He's just wanting the right thing, wanting the right timing. I've never been around a quarterback like that. He said he's never been around a receiver like me, but he's had a lot [of receivers]. We're just trying to get on the same page before the season starts.

I think he's trying to get better, get on the same timing and he's trying to get me better, get in shape and get ready for the season and get the routes down, get the calls down. We might do some extra stuff, but I think it's helping both of us in the long run.

I like the sound of that..

they want to win so they dont let Manning down....so they arent enbarassed in front of Manning...

I didnt hear much ego...and that's rare...

I heard respect and almost some fear of making a mistake. that's something a vet QB like Manning has to address with young players. he doenst want them to be afraid to perform with comfort

I like the sound of that..

they want to win so they dont let Manning down....so they arent enbarassed in front of Manning...

I didnt hear much ego...and that's rare...

I heard respect and almost some fear of making a mistake. that's something a vet QB like Manning has to address with young players. he doenst want them to be afraid to perform with comfort

Absolutely. I think this is a great example that just one guy can change the culture of the team. Peyton will make everyone around him better, not just their play on the filed, but their approach/attitude. Our young guys will learn so much from him, and they will (hopefully) pass that on.

i love you Peyton, now throw me the ball 20 times a game so I can get the big contract

bottom line

Bottom line is Manning is a QB who can actually throw the ball. What they've had previously in Denver were either runners or game managers at the QB position. Thomas will get his targets for sure, and so will everyone else. Manning does nothing except improve the likelihood that some of these guys find monster deals when their contracts are up. Just look at what Favre did for Sidney Rice. I don't think it'll be any different for Thomas/Decker.

Demaryius is going to love Manning behind center. It's a pleasure to see how all the receivers are excited to strive for perfection because of him.

I think Decker will be the one who really benefits. Peyton has been working with Decker a lot, so I think Decker will be the one with the big numbers

I have often wondered if Peyton was to "rigid" in his pass selection. This year will tell me something. Here in Indy he never had a "big threat" or a "speedy threat" so he relied on precision and timing. Thomas may meet both this criteria. I wonder if Peyton will recognize that and exploit it.

I have often wondered if Peyton was to "rigid" in his pass selection. This year will tell me something. Here in Indy he never had a "big threat" or a "speedy threat" so he relied on precision and timing. Thomas may meet both this criteria. I wonder if Peyton will recognize that and exploit it.

It may get back to his arm strenth.....

Watching old highlights......Manning rarerly threw the ball deep in recent years nand I assumed it was because we didnt have great speed and size.

Maybe I was wrong about that.......You are right that we will now see.....because Thomas is a guy you can throw the

'basketball rebound' to deep down the field...

I think Decker will be the one who really benefits. Peyton has been working with Decker a lot, so I think Decker will be the one with the big numbers

Most likely. If Brandon gets to play it will most likely be Decker, Stokes, and Tamme.

Apparently the same doesn't hold true for QB's (*cough* Curtis Painter).

I only wish it did.

It may get back to his arm strenth.....

Watching old highlights......Manning rarerly threw the ball deep in recent years nand I assumed it was because we didnt have great speed and size.

Maybe I was wrong about that.......You are right that we will now see.....because Thomas is a guy you can throw the

'basketball rebound' to deep down the field...

The deep ball was never a huge part of his game.

Especially Thomas. And Manning could turn Decker into Wes Welker.

Except Decker is faster, and much bigger.

If you ever saw Decker play at Minnesota, you understand how good he can be. He dropped to the third round because of his injury in his senior year, but he was a first round talent, if you ask me. Second round at worst. Better than Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate, Damian Williams, Brandon LaFell, and Emmanuel Sanders. I think he and Jordan Shipley should have been right behind Dez Bryant on that board.

And speaking of Shipley, he's more of a Welker to me than Decker is. Another guy is Greg Salas, who hasn't been able to stay healthy. Different draft class, though.