Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Mcelroy; Looked Good Against The Texans; Colts Should Have Drafted Him

Andy

I've been saying this since February, the Colts should have drafted Greg McElroy... the guy who got a 48 on the wonderlic. He played great and is showing a lot of promise, and could be one of the big surprises from that draft. Still disapointed the Colts didn't take him. What do you guys think?

I've been saying this since February, the Colts should have drafted Greg McElroy... the guy who got a 48 on the wonderlic. He played great and is showing a lot of promise, and could be one of the big surprises from that draft. Still disapointed the Colts didn't take him. What do you guys think?

As a 7th round pick? Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. Our 7th round pick was Rucker, though, and we'd be even thinner at CB than we already are.

The Wonderlic isn't that great of an indicator of how good a QB is. If I remember right, Rex Grossman scored higher than Peyton on his Wonderlic, but we all know who the better QB is. I also heard that Vince Young got like a 7 on his first try of the Wonderlic, then re-wrote it and got much higher. I would still prefer Young to Grossman.

We did show interest in the Texans 3rd string T.J.Yates, who I think would have made a good back up. I still think we fell in love with Ijalana and it cost us a 5th round pick, so if we had an extra pick, we may have gone after a QB late and addressed CB with our round 5 pick. Ijalana is hopefully worth it when it is all said and done.

I only saw a little bit of him but what i saw i didn't think he did that great. I think he's pretty good but from watching him i was actually dissappointed.

But im definitely not saying i dont want him, i would prefer him over Painter for sure.. How is it we constantly have terrible back ups? Solid QB's come through our camp yet we still keep our mediocre backup QB.. (Sorgi, Painter)

He certainly looked good on this play.

You clearly didn't see the game, did you? He threw a perfect pass a the end which was DROPPED, and that catch would have won the game. He played a great game, and that play wouldn't happened if the dumb receiver would have just caught the ball. Look at his stats next time...

Really we should have drafted a guy based on one pre-season game against a team that is trying to break in a new defense and had one of these worst if not the worst pass defenses in the NFL last year? Not to mention he did it against those guys back ups? Don't read too much into a pre-season game.

I'm definitely not sold on McElroy in the NFL yet, he looked good at times last night and bad at times last night. However as a huge University of Alabama fan I have to say I wouldn't mind him playing for the Colts

lmao mcelroy? please close this thread t/s does NOT know what he's talking about

I do know what I'm talking about. McElroy is a great backup with a tone of potential. He is better than Painter, and Orlovsky, not to mention that he's cheaper than both of those guys, b/c of the rookie contract. All we had to give up was that 6th round pick which went to Rucker, who will have only 2 snaps and not make a difference on our team. Do some research before writing what you said.

I do know what I'm talking about. McElroy is a great backup with a tone of potential. He is better than Painter, and Orlovsky, not to mention that he's cheaper than both of those guys, b/c of the rookie contract. All we had to give up was that 6th round pick which went to Rucker, who will have only 2 snaps and not make a difference on our team. Do some research before writing what you said.

What in the world? Years past we've had the Keith and Hart fan club make it seem like these guys were Hall of Famers in waiting now we have one for McElroy? At least the other two were on the roster. McElroy looked decent against the Texans' sorry pass defense's back ups in a pre-season game. Call me when McElroy rips up the Ravens or Steelers starters in December.

Andy Andy Andy

Where to begin?

You have proven, repeatedly to have some of the more off the wall thoughts on the Colts and the league. Saying that you know what you are talking about is debatable at best. Take this post about McElroy for instance. McElroy is, by any definition, not yet a great back up. There is simply no way to make that statement based on the evidence of one preseason game, especially one in which his performance was uneven at best.

And your determination that Rucker will only have 2 snaps and not help the team is based on what exactly? There is sentiment that he was an early round talent that fell only due to off the field issues. That is the perfect desription of a low-risk, high reward draft pick. And certainly one that has the potential to be far more valuable than McElroy ever would have.

And lastly, you telling someone else to do research before you post is kind of funny. This is coming from a guy whose depth chart included players not currently on the Colts roster. Not only that some of your players are not just free agents, but some were on other teams rosters.

Andy Andy Andy

Where to begin?

You have proven, repeatedly to have some of the more off the wall thoughts on the Colts and the league. Saying that you know what you are talking about is debatable at best. Take this post about McElroy for instance. McElroy is, by any definition, not yet a great back up. There is simply no way to make that statement based on the evidence of one preseason game, especially one in which his performance was uneven at best.

And your determination that Rucker will only have 2 snaps and not help the team is based on what exactly? There is sentiment that he was an early round talent that fell only due to off the field issues. That is the perfect desription of a low-risk, high reward draft pick. And certainly one that has the potential to be far more valuable than McElroy ever would have.

And lastly, you telling someone else to do research before you post is kind of funny. This is coming from a guy whose depth chart included players not currently on the Colts roster. Not only that some of your players are not just free agents, but some were on other teams rosters.

Check and mate...

What in the world? Years past we've had the Keith and Hart fan club make it seem like these guys were Hall of Famers in waiting now we have one for McElroy? At least the other two were on the roster. McElroy looked decent against the Texans' sorry pass defense's back ups in a pre-season game. Call me when McElroy rips up the Ravens or Steelers starters in December.

Sure you can make that point, but he also got pressured almost every play he played. Shows he's calm under pressure... Point is, he's better than Painter and Orlovsky.

Andy Andy Andy

Where to begin?

My turn...

I do know what I'm talking about, whether you like it or not. I have said some ridiculous things, but you make it sound like I say it all the time.

I'm basing this off the fact that Rucker is a 3rd stringer who may not even make the roster, but probably will. I'm just saying unless the CBs get injured, he is not getting that much playing time.

Now let's go to my depth chart, the preseason isn't over, so when it's over let's compare my chart; and the thing about the free agents, 2 of the players are free agents, and Dawson is playing for another team... that's 3 players. I'm not perfect, but I did a pretty good job.

Now if you want to further discuss this, please just PM me.

Sure you can make that point, but he also got pressured almost every play he played. Shows he's calm under pressure... Point is, he's better than Painter and Orlovsky.

Okay Andy this is what looking good in a pre-season against another third stringers can get you. Painter's rookie year he was third on the depth chart and he looked better against other teams guys who weren't going to make rosters to most people than Sorgi did against other teams number twos. People were not only callng for us to cut Sorgi for Painter but a handful of people honestly thought Painter could be the guy to replace Peyton someday. Flash forward three years and Painter is butt of just about every joke on the roster. McElroy looked good in a pre-season game againt a team whose starters stunk at pass defense a year ago back ups. If he didn't look good against them I don't know who he is going to look good against. Who you do it against does matter. Like I said call me when McElroy does it against the Steelers or Ravens in December.

My turn...

I do know what I'm talking about, whether you like it or not. I have said some ridiculous things, but you make it sound like I say it all the time.

I'm basing this off the fact that Rucker is a 3rd stringer who may not even make the roster, but probably will. I'm just saying unless the CBs get injured, he is not getting that much playing time.

Now let's go to my depth chart, the preseason isn't over, so when it's over let's compare my chart; and the thing about the free agents, 2 of the players are free agents, and Dawson is playing for another team... that's 3 players. I'm not perfect, but I did a pretty good job.

and our back up QB is going to get playing time? If that's the case I think we are all going to be a lot more worried about what is going on with our starter than who the back pu QB is.

and our back up QB is going to get playing time? If that's the case I think we are all going to be a lot more worried about what is going on with our starter than who the back pu QB is.

Our backup QB gets to play most the second to last, and the last game. I'm just saying I would feel much safer with McElroy than Painter and/or Orlovsky. Painter has never had a good game, and Orlovsky went 0-8 as a starter, which shows me he can't win. Instead of guaranteeing a lost in Week 17, and maybe in Week 16, I would like to see the Colts compete. Point is, I don't want to have an unreliable backup, and I would like to know that our backup is a safe secure Qb.

Our backup QB gets to play most the second to last, and the last game. I'm just saying I would feel much safer with McElroy than Painter and/or Orlovsky. Painter has never had a good game, and Orlovsky went 0-8 as a starter, which shows me he can't win. Instead of guaranteeing a lost in Week 17, and maybe in Week 16, I would like to see the Colts compete. Point is, I don't want to have an unreliable backup, and I would like to know that our backup is a safe secure Qb.

Not unless those games aren't going to effect our playoff standings in which case we don't care if we win or lose which is why the back up is in there in the first place. Sorry we are short handed at CB I'd say the odds favor us needing another DB over a back up QB was greater going into the draft.

Also having a rookie sixith round pick (in your world) is anything but having a safe secure back up QB. Having a safe secure back up QB is having someone like Kerry Collins that you know what you have. A rookie at any poistion is anything but.

Not unless those games aren't going to effect our playoff standings in which case we don't care if we win or lose which is why the back up is in there in the first place. Sorry we are short handed at CB I'd say the odds favor us needing another DB over a back up QB was greater going into the draft.

Also having a rookie sixith round pick (in your world) is anything but having a safe secure back up QB. Having a safe secure back up QB is having someone like Kerry Collins that you know what you have. A rookie at any poistion is anything but.

Keep in mind that one of the greatest QBs of all time is mentoring and tutoring him. Just because he was picked in the 6th round doesn't mean he's unsafe and insecure... Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round, Kurt Warner was undrafted, Warren Moon was undrafted, just goes to show you that being picked late doesn't mean your insecure and bad.

Keep in mind that one of the greatest QBs of all time is mentoring and tutoring him. Just because he was picked in the 6th round doesn't mean he's unsafe and insecure... Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round, Kurt Warner was undrafted, Warren Moon was undrafted, just goes to show you that being picked late doesn't mean your insecure and bad.

Yeah just because Peyton is mentoring and tutoring him doesn't mean he's going to be great. The bottom line is you like McElroy and want him to do well. That's fine. Where you cross the line is that you are letting your personal like of a guy turn him into something he isn't at least not yet. He's a rookie who looked decent against the Texans back ups in a pre-season game. It is what it is. One pre-season game does not make a guy's career. Does it mean McElroy is going to stink? No but I would hold off on buying your ticket for his Hall of Fame speech till he at least wins a starting job in the NFL.

Yeah just because Peyton is mentoring and tutoring him doesn't mean he's going to be great. The bottom line is you like McElroy and want him to do well. That's fine. Where you cross the line is that you are letting your personal like of a guy turn him into something he isn't at least not yet. He's a rookie who looked decent against the Texans back ups in a pre-season game. It is what it is. One pre-season game does not make a guy's career. Does it mean McElroy is going to stink? No but I would hold off on buying your ticket for his Hall of Fame speech till he at least wins a starting job in the NFL.

I find it funny how you think you can be judge and say what is or isn't crossing the line lol. Who made you the judge, jury and executioner?

I find it funny how you think you can be judge and say what is or isn't crossing the line lol. Who made you the judge, jury and executioner?

It's my opinion. Simply that, I didn't know I needed to state that on a message board that is based on people posting their opinions...

It's not just my like for him... I'm not a big college guy, but I keep an eye on a couple of players... he was one of them and he really impressed me, and he played against a couple of tough defenses. He reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Fitzpatrick is the starter for the Bills, but is a great backup. McElroy's wonderlic score is 43, which shows he ain't dumb.

I respect every point you have said, and I can't wait to see him in Week 2, to see if he can follow up on his good performance.

It's not just my like for him... I'm not a big college guy, but I keep an eye on a couple of players... he was one of them and he really impressed me, and he played against a couple of tough defenses. He reminds me of Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Fitzpatrick is the starter for the Bills, but is a great backup. McElroy's wonderlic score is 43, which shows he ain't dumb.

I respect every point you have said, and I can't wait to see him in Week 2, to see if he can follow up on his good performance.

That's fine, I never said McElroy is dumb. I agree with you that he's smart and could be a solid back up QB in the NFL. I just don't know if it was a huge mistake by the Colts on not drafting him. Frankly we needed DB help more than we needed back up QB help. I don't think McElroy is going to be the next Tom Brady either but hey I doubt anyone thought Tom Brady was going to be Tom Brady either so maybe in a few years you'll be proven right. Till then I think most of the people getting turned off with the thought process is that he is being made out to sound like the next Tom Brady because of what he did against the Texans back ups. Again, he didn't look good againist the Texans back ups I don't know who he would look good against. I just want to see more from him before I declare not drafting him was a huge mistake. Again if we ever have to play our back up QB in a meaningful situation people are going to be a lot more worried about what's wrong with the starter than who the back up even is.

My turn...

I will say two things. One, I wanted the Colts to draft McElroy. I think he is going to be a very good QB in the NFL in a couple of years. I am not willing to say the Colts should have drafted him instead of Rucker.

The other thing I want to say is you cannot use ambiguous words like "may" when discussing a fact.

Also McElroy is a 3rd stringer who make not make the final roster.

You're like the rest of us. You're wrong about 60% of the time.

This is what I mean when you go off on tangents that make no sense.

1) You want McElroy for those meaningless games in week 16 & 17?

2) Orlovsky was 0 for whatever as a starter so that guarantees week 17 in Indy would be a loss?

3) Do you think the Colts prefer an unreliable back up over a reliable one

You clearly didn't see the game, did you? He threw a perfect pass a the end which was DROPPED, and that catch would have won the game. He played a great game, and that play wouldn't happened if the dumb receiver would have just caught the ball. Look at his stats next time...

You are aware he was TEN (!!!) yards downfield when he made that pass, right? So, no, that catch would not have won them the game.

You need to cool your jets (thank you, thank you).

You are aware he was TEN (!!!) yards downfield when he made that pass, right? So, no, that catch would not have won them the game.

You need to cool your jets (thank you, thank you).

I'm not talking about the last last play, I'm talking about the play 20 seconds earlier, where he was behind the line of scrimmage, and threw it for the endzone, and the receiver had it in his hands and dropped it, it would have won the game for the Jets. THAT PLAY

I'm not talking about the last last play, I'm talking about the play 20 seconds earlier, where he was behind the line of scrimmage, and threw it for the endzone, and the receiver had it in his hands and dropped it, it would have won the game for the Jets. THAT PLAY

Oh, so you think that excuses him from his bonehead play?

It's one good preseason game for a player that'd be useless on the Colts. Get over it, he's not that good.