Potential Cuts (in my opinion)

Gavin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

78 players currently on the Colts roster

this in no way reflects any facts of what will happen just my opinion of the Cuts that will be made

1-Ollie Ogbu-Defensive Tackle

2-Justin Snow-Tight End/Long Snapper

3-Brandon Pegeuse-Defensive End

4-Brandon King-Corner

5-James Aiono-Defensive End

6-Lutrus Scott-Linebacker

7-Matt Overten-Linebacker

8-Brody Eldridge-Tight End

9-Quan Cosby.Wide Receiver

10-Brian Stahovich-Punter

11-Jeff Linkenbach-Tackle

12-Jake Kirkpatrick-Center

13-Terrance Johnson-Corner

14-Gronkowski-Fullback

15-Jason Foster-Tackle

16-Chris Galippo-Linebacker

17-Deji Karim-Running Back

18-Mike Tepper-Tackle

19-Antonio Johnson-Defensive Tackle

20-Ricardo Matthews-Defensive Tackle

21-Kevin Eagan-Linebacker

22-Jeremy Ross-Wide Receiver

23-Steven Baker-Tackle

24-Trevor Vittatoe-Quarterback

25-Mario Addison

Thoughts?

Yea, long snappers that are as good as Snow just don't happen every year. He has spent this many years in the league because he is that good. The chemistry between snapper, holder and kicker is something you don't mess with.

Yea, long snappers that are as good as Snow just don't happen every year. He has spent this many years in the league because he is that good. The chemistry between snapper, holder and kicker is something you don't mess with.

At the same time, he's 35 years old, and he's strictly a specialty player. He's good, but he might also be a wasted roster spot. He's not the only player on the roster capable of long-snapping, and he is a liability in coverage. A younger and more athletic long-snapper might help improve our coverage.

I'm not pushing Snow out the door. Just saying he's no sacred cow. He's very replaceable.

Snow is just a no. Age doesn't effect his ability. He is only a long snapper, and a darn good one. Plus it's his last season on contract. He doesn't make a lot either. He only had one season above $1M, 2007. The only way he isn't a Colt is if he retires.

why? what have they done to show they belong on the roster?

Brody has done just fine when he's been on the field. That's his only issue. But he's a fine inline blocker at tight end, and he can catch the ball when he's open.

Rico Mathews has done just fine as well, when used in the proper role. The previous regime tried to make him a nose tackle, which he's not. He's more of a three/five-tech tackle, which is a really good fit for the hybrid fronts Pagano wants to use.

Antonio Johnson is decent as a rotational tackle, but no one is going to fight for him to stay on the roster.

Brody has done just fine when he's been on the field. That's his only issue. But he's a fine inline blocker at tight end, and he can catch the ball when he's open.

Rico Mathews has done just fine as well, when used in the proper role. The previous regime tried to make him a nose tackle, which he's not. He's more of a three/five-tech tackle, which is a really good fit for the hybrid fronts Pagano wants to use.

Antonio Johnson is decent as a rotational tackle, but no one is going to fight for him to stay on the roster.

Im for Matthews being defensive end also Johnson in my opinion is likely at best a depth defensive tackle and certainly not a nose tackle, I'd like to see what Chigbo can do in the NFL, his highlights looked like he can be a dominant nose tackle and he can rotate with Mckinney

At the same time, he's 35 years old, and he's strictly a specialty player. He's good, but he might also be a wasted roster spot. He's not the only player on the roster capable of long-snapping, and he is a liability in coverage. A younger and more athletic long-snapper might help improve our coverage.

I'm not pushing Snow out the door. Just saying he's no sacred cow. He's very replaceable.

I agree with this, If Indy were a SB contender then keeping him would be a lock but Indy is not. And I really feel the same about Vinny.

78 players currently on the Colts roster

this in no way reflects any facts of what will happen just my opinion of the Cuts that will be made

1-Ollie Ogbu-Defensive Tackle

2-Justin Snow-Tight End/Long Snapper

3-Brandon Pegeuse-Defensive End

4-Brandon King-Corner

5-James Aiono-Defensive End

6-Lutrus Scott-Linebacker

7-Matt Overten-Linebacker

8-Brody Eldridge-Tight End

9-Quan Cosby.Wide Receiver

10-Brian Stahovich-Punter

11-Jeff Linkenbach-Tackle

12-Jake Kirkpatrick-Center

13-Terrance Johnson-Corner

14-Gronkowski-Fullback

15-Jason Foster-Tackle

16-Chris Galippo-Linebacker

17-Deji Karim-Running Back

18-Mike Tepper-Tackle

19-Antonio Johnson-Defensive Tackle

20-Ricardo Matthews-Defensive Tackle

21-Kevin Eagan-Linebacker

22-Jeremy Ross-Wide Receiver

23-Steven Baker-Tackle

24-Trevor Vittatoe-Quarterback

25-Mario Addison

Thoughts?

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the mighty Link, what ever would our offensive line do without him?

Im for Matthews being defensive end also Johnson in my opinion is likely at best a depth defensive tackle and certainly not a nose tackle, I'd like to see what Chigbo can do in the NFL, his highlights looked like he can be a dominant nose tackle and he can rotate with Mckinney

I don't think anyone is overly enthused about Johnson, in any role. But Mathews is a good player, I think. Chigbo definitely has a chance to earn a roster spot.

I agree with this, If Indy were a SB contender then keeping him would be a lock but Indy is not. And I really feel the same about Vinny.

Vinatieri's contract makes this a relevant consideration, and June 1 still isn't here, so that might happen, honestly. But really, $2.7 million isn't that big of a consideration. It's only 2% of the cap, and doesn't make anything much easier on the team. There are other places to trim fat if necessary. And a good kicker can mean the difference between a five win season and an eight win season, even for a mediocre team.

To my knowledge he's still the only long snapper on the team though. Maybe we picked someone up but if we didn't he's not going to lose his job till we do pick one up.

With that said I think this is the last year of his deal. I think it's more likely we will let him play out his contract. The big benefit to cutting a guy like that is saving the money and again if we were going to do that I think he would have been cut when we made the other money saving cuts.

We wont cut Eldridge even with the two kids we drafted we aren't going to go into the season with only two tightends and he's the only one of the roster who has real NFL experience. He's a blocking tightend and if you watch him block he's very good at it. Eldridge stays.

Again if Vinny was going to be cut 1, we would have picked up a kicker. 2, he would have been cut at the time we made the other cost cutting moves. Frankly Vinny's contract while big for kicker is still very small for an NFL player. There just isn't much money to be saved there and even less when you figure you would have to go and sign a replacement for him. All cutting Vinny does is make another hole on the roster to be filled and gives you a worse kicker than you had before. Neither one of those is a smart move. At this point if you cut players for cap space it's really being done for next season and frankly we are going to be in great shape with the cap next year. We don't need to make more cap space.

Again if Vinny was going to be cut 1, we would have picked up a kicker. 2, he would have been cut at the time we made the other cost cutting moves. Frankly Vinny's contract while big for kicker is still very small for an NFL player. There just isn't much money to be saved there and even less when you figure you would have to go and sign a replacement for him. All cutting Vinny does is make another hole on the roster to be filled and gives you a worse kicker than you had before. Neither one of those is a smart move. At this point if you cut players for cap space it's really being done for next season and frankly we are going to be in great shape with the cap next year. We don't need to make more cap space.

I would not cut him for cap space, I would cut him to start interviewing his replacement. He is not young.

or audition would be the better term.

Better find out now and save a little jingle....

But perhaps the Organization truly does feel they will compete at a high level.

Not a big deal, but good K's are not easy to find... I'd kinda like the team to start looking.

I would not cut him for cap space, I would cut him to start interviewing his replacement. He is not young.

He's still preforming up to his contract. When you are a team that has as many holes as the Colts do you don't make more holes just because a guy is older. If a guy is preforming up to his contract you keep him till he is no longer preforming up to it. There is no reason to cut Adam right now. The only reason to do so would be his contract and frankly if we were going to do that we would have done it by now.

No Adam isn't young but he's not done yet. You don't replace someone in the NFL like a kicker till they no longer live up their contract. Once that happens then we will worry about Adam's replacement. Also we've been bringing kickers into camp the past few seasons. I am sure the Colts have kept their eyes on them and I am sure they can scout kickers if they feel it's needed. No good kickers aren't easy to find which is why you don't cut one if you have one and right now the Colts have one.

We wont cut Eldridge even with the two kids we drafted we aren't going to go into the season with only two tightends and he's the only one of the roster who has real NFL experience. He's a blocking tightend and if you watch him block he's very good at it. Eldridge stays.

Dwayne Allen can block and so can Fleener although Allen is better at it besides we have 5 tight ends, its likely someone isnt cuttin it at Tight End, I mean we brought in 2 other tight ends after we already drafted Fleener and Allen

Dwayne Allen can block and so can Fleener although Allen is better at it besides we have 5 tight ends, its likely someone isnt cuttin it at Tight End, I mean we brought in 2 other tight ends after we already drafted Fleener and Allen

And Eldridge is still the only one with true nfl experience and is still a very good blocking tight end to the point he's almost a sixth olineman he stays.

And Eldridge is still the only one with true nfl experience and is still a very good blocking tight end to the point he's almost a sixth olineman he stays.

I think in this offense he will have to be able to do more then run block and with two tight end sets being Fleener and Allen Im almost certain he goes, he never really got into alot of nfl games anyway, he got lost in the shuffle behind Clark and Tamme, the Patriots never use a blocking tight end, its always Gronkowski and Hernandez and Gronkowski is the one that can block (somewhat)

I think in this offense he will have to be able to do more then run block and with two tight end sets being Fleener and Allen Im almost certain he goes, he never really got into alot of nfl games anyway, he got lost in the shuffle behind Clark and Tamme, the Patriots never use a blocking tight end, its always Gronkowski and Hernandez and Gronkowski is the one that can block (somewhat)

The only way Brody will get cut is if he can't say on the field... and there is a "chance" of that happening again. He is a very useful player when in the game. His problem is he can't stay in the game very long.

The TE we just signed has NFL experience on a team, but not TRUE experience as you said. (that wasn't sarcastic)

http://en.wikipedia....rican_football) illustration of H Back thats probably what he will do I think

He played several OL positions and FB/HB at Oklahoma. He is VERY versatile.... but he HAS to prove he cam play and stay healthy or he is just another "dead weight" type us Indy fans are all to familiar with.

He changes the running game WHEN HE PLAYS... But darn he is hurt a lot.

I am not saying we won't run more two tightend sets and I am not saying that our two rookies won't see the field more than Eldridge. We aren't just going to keep two tightends either though. Eldridge will have his packages where he is used probably in areas where we need an extra blocker like goal line and short yardage spots. He fills a role and will stay. If he stayed with Clark and tamme he will stay with Allen and fleener.

Watch again when healthy we used Eldridge alot he was our second tightend he just went unnoticed because he was being used to block. Not catch passes like Clark or tamme. Go back and watch the giants game from two years ago they spent a lot of time in that game highlighting Eldridge and just how good of a blocker he is.

I am not saying we won't run more two tightend sets and I am not saying that our two rookies won't see the field more than Eldridge. We aren't just going to keep two tightends either though. Eldridge will have his packages where he is used probably in areas where we need an extra blocker like goal line and short yardage spots. He fills a role and will stay. If he stayed with Clark and tamme he will stay with Allen and fleener.

Watch again when healthy we used Eldridge alot he was our second tightend he just went unnoticed because he was being used to block. Not catch passes like Clark or tamme. Go back and watch the giants game from two years ago they spent a lot of time in that game highlighting Eldridge and just how good of a blocker he is.

Link to the game?

He played several OL positions and FB/HB at Oklahoma. He is VERY versatile.... but he HAS to prove he cam play and stay healthy or he is just another "dead weight" type us Indy fans are all to familiar with.

He changes the running game WHEN HE PLAYS... But darn he is hurt a lot.

Yes that has been Eldridge's biggest problem but still I think we will let him play out his contract and if he's still has injury issues just not resign him.

To my knowledge he's still the only long snapper on the team though. Maybe we picked someone up but if we didn't he's not going to lose his job till we do pick one up.

With that said I think this is the last year of his deal. I think it's more likely we will let him play out his contract. The big benefit to cutting a guy like that is saving the money and again if we were going to do that I think he would have been cut when we made the other money saving cuts.

Kyle Miller and Matt Overton both are long-snappers, both signed this offseason. Doesn't mean anything, but both are significantly younger, and both are bigger as well. They may prove to be better suited to handle the coverage duties.

I'm not putting Justin Snow out on an iceberg, just saying that he's not untouchable.

Kyle Miller and Matt Overton both are long-snappers, both signed this offseason. Doesn't mean anything, but both are significantly younger, and both are bigger as well. They may prove to be better suited to handle the coverage duties.

I'm not putting Justin Snow out on an iceberg, just saying that he's not untouchable.

I don't think he's untouchable either but much like kickers if you have a good one you don't cut him. Again for him to be cut it would have to be either for money which at this point in the offseason doesn't make a lot of sense or performance. His past performance shows no reason for him to be released so the only way I see it happening is if the colts wanted one of the two younger guys because they have something Justin doesn't. Again if that was the case I also think he would have been released by now because that means snow doesn't fit what the new coaches want in a Long snapper.

I don't think he's untouchable I just think if he was going to be released it would have already happened unless he gets to camp and just doesn't have it anymore.

I think it will be probably a month or more before we start seeing many cuts anyway so just because he is here now dont mean that much, many more OTA's to come and mandatory mini camp june 12-14 so cuts really havent even begun yet