Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ok Guys We Get It, Its Preseason But Still...

skadura

every year the colts play like doodoo in the preseason and every year we end up winning 12 games and going to the playoffs. but let me tell you this.....if we play a team with a good qb who can sustain a drive and not turn the ball over. we are losing that playoff game. cause every year we have the same philosophy on offense and defense. MANNING WILL GET US A LEAD AND WE WILL PLAY FAST when they have to pass.

we have 1 WIN against an elite qb in the playoffs in the manning era and we had to score nearly 40 to do so (and we were assisted by several key drops by brady's horrible recievers taht year).

our small offensive line gets manhandled in the playoffs and our small defensive line does as well. when we play against a good qb (river, brady, brees) or a good running game (jets, chargers) that team has the ability to sustain long drives by running the ball consistently and throwing three step drop passes cause of our soft coverage. without a lead we are mince meat (sp)

preseason gives us a chance to watch players individually but im sick of seeing this same old stuff over and over and over as long as the d line is small, they are gonna get blown up and as long as our corners are 5 yards back they are gonna get ate up.

1st round draft picks......probowls. nothing matters when the philosophy is the same. lets hope we see joe flacco or mark sanchez in the playoffs and have an easy road to the sb again or else itll be another long season.

we have 1 WIN against an elite qb in the playoffs in the manning era and we had to score nearly 40 to do so (and we were assisted by several key drops by brady's horrible recievers taht year).

hmmm...interesting stat. Never thought of it but you're right.

I know I might be bashed for this, but the only thing that really bugs me sometimes is I feel the Colts offensive philosophy is so bland and predictable. I even heard it say by a Patriot linebacker that the Colt offense is not hard to figure out. The problem is they execute it so well, there is often times there is not much you can do about it. I think when Peyton isn't playing, it underscores that point. Look at the Patriots, on the other hand. Brady, Hoyer, Cassel. Doesn't matter. They all play like all pros. Why? Their offense. They are always mixing things up, throwing in new wrinkles.

Now, I know somebody will say we when more games then anyone. I agree. A lot of that is Manning. I do wonder if he had a coach like a Sean Payton, who seems to always have some new wrinkle, how things would work. I think Manning would be ever better. Now, I know that is my opinion and no facts back it up. But just notice sometime how often Manning has to be deadly accurate just to move the ball, where other teams don't have such a small window for success.

I know I might be bashed for this, but the only thing that really bugs me sometimes is I feel the Colts offensive philosophy is so bland and predictable. I even heard it say by a Patriot linebacker that the Colt offense is not hard to figure out. The problem is they execute it so well, there is often times there is not much you can do about it. I think when Peyton isn't playing, it underscores that point. Look at the Patriots, on the other hand. Brady, Hoyer, Cassel. Doesn't matter. They all play like all pros. Why? Their offense. They are always mixing things up, throwing in new wrinkles.

Now, I know somebody will say we when more games then anyone. I agree. A lot of that is Manning. I do wonder if he had a coach like a Sean Payton, who seems to always have some new wrinkle, how things would work. I think Manning would be ever better. Now, I know that is my opinion and no facts back it up. But just notice sometime how often Manning has to be deadly accurate just to move the ball, where other teams don't have such a small window for success.

Yeah it was Tedy Bruchi that said that back in 03. And as you said but they execute it. No doubt 10 times more than any other NFL team in recent memory. But vanilla is still vanilla.

he also said with the small guys by mid game you could look in their eyes and see they didn't want to be there.

I've always felt your concerns of the vanilla offense is because there's no coach with total control over the offense... instead of the QB having control which has a much more limited awareness(strategically) being on the field of play.

dead on about manning having to be dead accurate.....guys dont get separation nemore n its not their fault....its the oline only blocking for 3 seconds. if it wasnt for mannig getting th right read an d a perfect throw...god wed be awful

From my point of view, playcalling hasn't been a major issue. What's the point of running a crazy trick play in the Super Bowl against the Saints if Garcon can't catch a routine throw? Last year, the only way you could say playcalling was an issue was because of the personnel we had. If Peyton had his usual starters, he would have been able to audible to more plays and use the entire playbook. It doesn't matter if you know exactly what play we are running, if we can still beat you, that's all that matters. Plus, Manning is excellent at reading defenses and adjusting the play. We beat the Jets (a good running team) pretty easily a couple of years ago and could have beaten them again last year if it wasn't for a bad timeout and poor special teams play.

hmmm...interesting stat. Never thought of it but you're right.

Interesting? No. More like irrelevant.

Remind me again, how many "elite" QB's are in the league right now, or have been for the last 10 years?

Peyton

Brady.....mmmkay there's two.

Favre....according to many, sure. Then again, he's retired.

There's that Ryan kid, but, not elite yet.

Brees, he's pretty good. Ya he's elite and we lost to him.

Rodgers....getting there but nah, not yet.

We lost to Sanchez last year. Unless any of you want to crown that boy as elite, I say we deny this assertion that we can't beat elite QB's. Namely, because we have the elite of the elite in blue 'n' white.

I liked what I saw on many fronts tonight. Loved it. Lots of energetic and exciting new players. Chad Spann stuck out.

If anything bothered me it was the quarterbacking. The negatives I saw from them appeared to be more a manifestation of poor skill sets than rust or lack of timing or training camp. Orlovsky looked lost and somewhat panicky and Painter, well he looked like Painter. Inaccurate 'ol Painter.

The O-line needs to gel, but overall they looked decent. I saw some great blocks in the run game, which was encouraging.

Interesting? No. More like irrelevant.

Remind me again, how many "elite" QB's are in the league right now, or have been for the last 10 years?

Peyton

Brady.....mmmkay there's two.

Favre....according to many, sure. Then again, he's retired.

There's that Ryan kid, but, not elite yet.

Brees, he's pretty good. Ya he's elite and we lost to him.

Rodgers....getting there but nah, not yet.

We lost to Sanchez last year. Unless any of you want to crown that boy as elite, I say we deny this assertion that we can't beat elite QB's. Namely, because we have the elite of the elite in blue 'n' white.

I liked what I saw on many fronts tonight. Loved it. Lots of energetic and exciting new players. Chad Spann stuck out.

If anything bothered me it was the quarterbacking. The negatives I saw from them appeared to be more a manifestation of poor skill sets than rust or lack of timing or training camp. Orlovsky looked lost and somewhat panicky and Painter, well he looked like Painter. Inaccurate 'ol Painter.

The O-line needs to gel, but overall they looked decent. I saw some great blocks in the run game, which was encouraging.

lol. Good point when you put it that way. Perhaps by elite he meant the other "good" QBs?

lol. Good point when you put it that way. Perhaps by elite he meant the other "good" QBs?

I suppose. "Elite" has become an overused buzzword that doesn't carry the impact it once held.

Heck, my fear isn't elite QB's, it's elite running games. Sexy Rex Ryan and his ground 'n' pound. That right there's what we better fear people. Ironically, it wasn't STL passing that overwhelmed our preseason squad. It was their running game. I'm not saying we're doomed because of the lack of run defense, but I was hoping to see a better showing in that regard.

every year the colts play like doodoo in the preseason and every year we end up winning 12 games and going to the playoffs. but let me tell you this.....if we play a team with a good qb who can sustain a drive and not turn the ball over. we are losing that playoff game. cause every year we have the same philosophy on offense and defense. MANNING WILL GET US A LEAD AND WE WILL PLAY FAST when they have to pass.

our small offensive line gets manhandled in the playoffs and our small defensive line does as well. when we play against a good qb (river, brady, brees) or a good running game (jets, chargers) that team has the ability to sustain long drives by running the ball consistently and throwing three step drop passes cause of our soft coverage. without a lead we are mince meat (sp)

preseason gives us a chance to watch players individually but im sick of seeing this same old stuff over and over and over as long as the d line is small, they are gonna get blown up and as long as our corners are 5 yards back they are gonna get ate up.

1st round draft picks......probowls. nothing matters when the philosophy is the same. lets hope we see joe flacco or mark sanchez in the playoffs and have an easy road to the sb again or else itll be another long season.

Well, the point is, even if all the problems were fixed with the O line and D Line, you still wouldn't be able to tell, 'cause the Colts play all their scrubs during the preseason.

So, relax.... save all your angst for the real season, when you get a true indication of where they really are...

Hidden

Well, the point is, even if all the problems were fixed with the O line and D Line, you still wouldn't be able to tell, 'cause the Colts play all their scrubs during the preseason.

So, relax.... save all your angst for the real season, when you get a true indication of where they really are...

Hidden

People automatically assume: "Super Bowl = Elite QB." Especially because the guys on ESPN will speak as such.

How is Ben Roethlisberger, statistically, when compared to at least 10 other good QB's? I mean seriously. The guy can't throw a timing route, he has no pocket presence, and he never hits a receiver in stride. He relies on his genetic stature, which allows guys to bounce off of him until someone eventually breaks coverage. He's a freak of nature, with virtually no skill set.

Eli Manning has been more up-and-down than just about any other "winning" QB in the league. But hey, he's got a ring.

Brees is good. He is borderline elite; as long as Manning and (sort of) Brady are the standards, however, he's just the other guy.

Rodgers has a phenomenal team around him, so it's easy to look good. Fundamentally speaking, he is a solid QB, but he too will have a recessive season. Think Troy Aikman.

While were at it, how many elite QB's has Brady beaten recently? Hmm...well, he hasn't won a playoff game since 2007 where he threw 3 INT's. Fortunately for him, his defense bailed him out of all 3 picks. Otherwise, he's lost to Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, and Mark Sanchez.

In other words, this is the silliest argument I've ever heard.

ELITE QB's

1. Manning

2. Brady

He basically meant all the guys on this list:

Roethlisberger

Rivers (If it wasn't for this guy, we'd have two more Superbowls! (maybe))

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Eli (yes, even he'd tear us up)

Freeman (yup, you heard me)

Favre (If he plays)

McNabb

Vick

Orton

Cutler

Schaub

Garrard

Stafford (If healthy)

Sam Bradford (Looks great)

Kevin Kolb (Maybe... he does have Fitzgerald, after all)

They'd all chew us up during a playoff game. How much is a matter of opinion. Yes, we beat some of them often in the regular season, but I bet if we face any one of them in the playoffs, we'd magically get our teeth punched out. Even backup QB's give us fits sometimes.

As for the past seasons, in the season we played against the Saints, the QB's we faced before the Superbowl were Flacco and Sanchez... big whoop. In the season we won the Superbowl, we played against Grossman, Kansas City's QB (god knows who he was!), and the Ravens QB (who, Bulger?). Yes, we played against Brady, but he put up 34 pts against us, so it was a slugfest.

Seriously guys, we can't stop any competent QB's during the playoffs.

Roethlisberger

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

McNabb

Vick

Orton

Cutler

They'd all chew us up during a playoff game. Even backup QB's give us fits sometimes.

And Manning would chew them up. In fact, most of those QB's can put up numbers against anyone; though why you would ever include Orton or Cutler in such a discussion is beyond me. Anyway, should those teams change their defensive philosophy as well? Good QB's will shred them, after all...

Roethlisberger

Brady

Rodgers

Brees

Favre (If he plays)

McNabb

Vick

Orton

Cutler

Stafford (If healthy)

Sam Bradford (Looks great)

They'd all chew us up during a playoff game. Even backup QB's give us fits sometimes.

Half of the guys on your list are not even Good let alone elite.. Plus 8 of them are in the NFC.. So if they are "chewing" us up it would be in the super bowl. I highly doubt the bears, bucs, lions, rams giants or vikings will make the superbowl..

And Manning would chew them up. In fact, most of those QB's can put up numbers against anyone; though why you would ever include Orton or Cutler in such a discussion is beyond me. Anyway, should those teams change their defensive philosophy as well? Good QB's will shred them, after all...

You're right, he would, but our defense wouldn't. Manning would have to do it himself.

THE COLTS PLAY THE SAME WAY IN THE REGULAR SEASON GET THE BALL RAN DOWN THERE THROAT BY ANYBODY.SMH SMALL DUMB DEFENCE AND SMALL WEAK FAST O LINEMAN THIS AINT 1960 SIGN LENARD DAVIS OR SOMETHING

Mod Edit...:edit:

The Colts play the same way in the regular season get the ball ran down there throat by anybody. SMH small dumb defense and small weak fast O linemen this aint 1960 sign Lenard Davis or something

:edit:

Please remember that All Caps text is the Internet equivalent of SHOUTING. Shouting is generally considered to be rude. So please, do not post in All Caps.

I just don't get the whole preseason panic. We go through this EVERY year. We treat preseason like an extended training camp and use it like preseason is supposed to be used...a testing ground for rookies and newbies and roster battles. First string guys see little action.

They never show their cards as far as play calling goes. Whatever the offense and defense does is never what goes on when the season starts.

We ALWAYS lose in preseason and win in the regular season. People, fans, media talking heads always start crying that the sky is falling because the mighty Colts lost to so&so in preseason and sucked so badly...they didn't win ANY games. :blah: I recall years when the Dolphins and Raiders and Lions won all of their PS games and not a lot else the rest of the year.

I also know a lot of teams that take PS so seriously that they keep their #1 players in when it is not necessary and they get hurt and are out for the whole season. That is just dumb.

So while PS is great training ground and testing for who will be placed where on the team, it is not indicative of the regular season. I wish folks would remember that. *sigh*

My only concern is that Peyton is not going to have any on field time due to his surgery and lack of training with the new guys with the lockout, etc. Come week one, it may take a bit to shake off the rust and get in sync. But it will happen. We may have a bit of a slow start, but things will come around. I have faith. :cheer:

When speaking of QB's the only thing that frustrates me a little is, when are we going out to get the air apparent to Manning? The Patriots stepped up this year and took Mallet, which I think was a wonderful move on their part.

When does the Colts organization begin to make this a priority? It is painfull to watch Curtis Painter play the position, even in pre-season. Just painfull.

When speaking of QB's the only thing that frustrates me a little is, when are we going out to get the air apparent to Manning? The Patriots stepped up this year and took Mallet, which I think was a wonderful move on their part.

When does the Colts organization begin to make this a priority? It is painfull to watch Curtis Painter play the position, even in pre-season. Just painfull.

Question is, what will an Indy QB heir even look like. There's no guarantee our system will remain the same after Manning retires. The entire offense has been built around him for years and because he's a unique talent, this is a unique situation that I don't believe will be repeated quite the same way transitioning into the five-years-from-now time frame. Reggie, Dallas, Saturday, Addai & others....all will be long gone. What I'd expect is the team to acquire & build around available stengths at that time.

I really think this philosophy is gonna change, this may sound wrong but i think peytons neck surgery is a good thing cause it may cause the colts to lean more on the defense and run game. I mean it all makes sense... Bigger back in the draft, 3 former 1st round talents all on defense, two early round picks on the line... Makes perfect sense

I really think this philosophy is gonna change, this may sound wrong but i think peytons neck surgery is a good thing cause it may cause the colts to lean more on the defense and run game. I mean it all makes sense... Bigger back in the draft, 3 former 1st round talents all on defense, two early round picks on the line... Makes perfect sense

I wouldnt be surprised if they lean just a bit more that way, but Id say its more Mannings age and mileage on his arm that would cause that.

There was an article a couple years back, maybe just before last preseason (I have CRS), that mentioned limiting his throws to keep his arm in good shape.

Seems to me the older he gets the more the run game needs to be featured even more (and good) and the more the defense may need to step up.

The other thing is, my guess would be the same will hold true after Manning departs. The Colts will be more defense oriented and less pass happy...but Im glad thats a ways off yet!

People automatically assume: "Super Bowl = Elite QB." Especially because the guys on ESPN will speak as such.

How is Ben Roethlisberger, statistically, when compared to at least 10 other good QB's? I mean seriously. The guy can't throw a timing route, he has no pocket presence, and he never hits a receiver in stride. He relies on his genetic stature, which allows guys to bounce off of him until someone eventually breaks coverage. He's a freak of nature, with virtually no skill set.

Eli Manning has been more up-and-down than just about any other "winning" QB in the league. But hey, he's got a ring.

Brees is good. He is borderline elite; as long as Manning and (sort of) Brady are the standards, however, he's just the other guy.

Rodgers has a phenomenal team around him, so it's easy to look good. Fundamentally speaking, he is a solid QB, but he too will have a recessive season. Think Troy Aikman.

While were at it, how many elite QB's has Brady beaten recently? Hmm...well, he hasn't won a playoff game since 2007 where he threw 3 INT's. Fortunately for him, his defense bailed him out of all 3 picks. Otherwise, he's lost to Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, and Mark Sanchez.

In other words, this is the silliest argument I've ever heard.

ELITE QB's

1. Manning

2. Brady

Well we could put Manning and Brady at super elite and that would give elite to the others:)

Those QBs need a great team around them, yes....BUT...putting a not so good QB in that great team and you get different results. A great team will give the opportunity for a good QB to succeed. A QB has to make the decisions/throws when that great team gives it to them. A not so good QB doesn't and that's been proven many times in the past.

elite = qb's that can lead a team to a championship NOT in spite of him.

manning

brady

roethlisberger

brees

rivers

rodgers...

3/5 guys (excluding manning) are in the afc. = no way we makke it to the supebowl if we play any of them .

take ur blinders off and realize i made a good point. idc if this is the preseason or not. the same old colts are gonna take the field everytime we go out there.

Mod Edit...:edit:

The Colts play the same way in the regular season get the ball ran down there throat by anybody. SMH small dumb defense and small weak fast O linemen this aint 1960 sign Lenard Davis or something

:edit:

Please remember that All Caps text is the Internet equivalent of SHOUTING. Shouting is generally considered to be rude. So please, do not post in All Caps.

i hope that is a joke!we were again getting the ball jammed down our throat on the ground, playing soft 10 yards off receivers, our coach is gazing

out towards the field like he is trying to figure what sport he is watching, and we are worried about CAPS on a fan forum. and people think indy is soft. lets go colts

it is time to go with some aggressive smash mouth defense, manning cant be expected to get us 40 points a game. the pats scored 42 without their qb dressing and held

their opponent to 3. we need depth help now!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope that is a joke!we were again getting the ball jammed down our throat on the ground, playing soft 10 yards off receivers, our coach is gazing

out towards the field like he is trying to figure what sport he is watching, and we are worried about CAPS on a fan forum. and people think indy is soft. lets go colts

it is time to go with some aggressive smash mouth defense, manning cant be expected to get us 40 points a game. the pats scored 42 without their qb dressing and held

Um, tell you what, before you start dressing down a moderator for being a moderator - that is my role here by the way - why don't you go look at the Colts pre-season record for the last 5 or more years and see whether there is any connection at all between winning pre-season games and winning regular or post-season games. There is not. The Colts are doing as they always do in pre-season, and whether you know that or not, like it or not, care or not, I'm a moderator on this forum and if I have to warn someone for posting in all caps and post a mod edit, I'll do it whether it's pre-season, regular season, game day or superbowl day. Is that clear enough for you?

The CAPS issue is a well known error in forum etiquette. Aside from being an irritant to the reader, it causes an inflammatory reaction from many users, thusly downgrading and derailing a thread into a CAPS debate.

What the PATS did is irrelevant. Due to the lockout, preseason game 1 has become a circus of slop. A different dynamic is being seen throughout the league and every team is handling it differently. I don't get why so many people are worried about the poor showing? It really is irrelevant. I personally thought many of the new Colts looked good if you isolate their performance.

I see no reason to worry about last years starters, most of them anyway. We know they're gonna bring some serious game. With so many new guys and 2nd year guys stepping up their play, in light of the lockout situation, we have much to be excited about.

The CAPS issue is a well known error in forum etiquette. Aside from being an irritant to the reader, it causes an inflammatory reaction from many users, thusly downgrading and derailing a thread into a CAPS debate.

What the PATS did is irrelevant. Due to the lockout, preseason game 1 has become a circus of slop. A different dynamic is being seen throughout the league and every team is handling it differently. I don't get why so many people are worried about the poor showing? It really is irrelevant. I personally thought many of the new Colts looked good if you isolate their performance.

I see no reason to worry about last years starters, most of them anyway. We know they're gonna bring some serious game. With so many new guys and 2nd year guys stepping up their play, in light of the lockout situation, we have much to be excited about.

I'm just glad when people use some form of punctuation. There are some posters that write like they're on speed.

As far as the preseason game (ONE preseason game), does anyone really think the Skins are a better team than the Steelers? Or the Browns are better than the Pack? I haven't been to their forums, I wonder if there's panic and woe?

Um, tell you what, before you start dressing down a moderator for being a moderator - that is my role here by the way - why don't you go look at the Colts pre-season record for the last 5 or more years and see whether there is any connection at all between winning pre-season games and winning regular or post-season games. There is not. The Colts are doing as they always do in pre-season, and whether you know that or not, like it or not, care or not, I'm a moderator on this forum and if I have to warn someone for posting in all caps and post a mod edit, I'll do it whether it's pre-season, regular season, game day or superbowl day. Is that clear enough for you?

lol, ok

We do this nonsense every year. We lose all our preseason games which lets not forget are no kind of indicator of how the regular season will go. This has applied to the Colts for years (go check the preseason stats the past few years) and plenty of other teams as well. Calm down! The end

I'm just glad when people use some form of punctuation. There are some posters that write like they're on speed.

As far as the preseason game (ONE preseason game), does anyone really think the Skins are a better team than the Steelers? Or the Browns are better than the Pack? I haven't been to their forums, I wonder if there's panic and woe?

Beautifully summarized.

I would add that it's not even the final score that stands as irrelevant, but yardage, 3rd down conversions.....all stats are loaded with inaccuracy. Not to say that one cannot take something away from a game such as this, but one must do so with an open mind and little regard for stat columns.

Think 2006 playoffs. Thats how a tampa 2 defense is supposed to work. Our defense is designed to get to the QB, and slow the run down. As far as the past couple of seasons go, we havent been getting to the QB enough. And the past couple of seasons, we havent had booger... Our LBers jobs are to hellp stop the run, and stop short passes. If our dline does their job and gets to the QB, and our LBers do their job and stop the short passes, where is the QB going to throw it? down field. And to throw it down field, you need time. Therefor, our Dline again, comes into play, where our speed, will get to the QB. Sack. This is how a well executed tampa 2 work. If we would of had booger the last couple of years, i think our defense would have played much better. Jason David and Nick Harper were never anything special. And it didn't matter. Because our D was executing how they were supposed to. I surely hope Drake Nevis plays as well as TC rumors are saying. Because our D is sounding fine to me. And hopefully back to 2006 PO form.... And btw... We have something special in Powers. So thats even better. Leaving 2 options to throw to for the opposing O..... EXECUTE PPL!... Theres no need to change our D scheme... This is what dungy has always said and it makes sense.

I have been saying this for years on this forum. They are very pridictable. Too much so IMO