Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why The Jets Picked Got Tebow?

LUCKyday

I know im a little late on this, but i was thinking about this earlier today and it came to me. Sanchez chokes almost all the time in the 4th quarter but is good in the first 3 quarters. you see were im going here? well Tebow showed he can only play the 4th quarter so maybe what they are thinking there is play Sanchez for the first 3 and Tebow for the 4th. So with the 2 together they finally have 1 QB.

Since when is Sanchez good in the first three quarters? The Heat should've traded for Tebow.

Yea, I agree with this. At best, Sanchez has looked mediocre in all four quarters. I think the TC is exaggerating Sanchez's abilities by sharing "good" and Sanchez's name in the same sentence.

I personally feel they brought Tebow in to light a fire underneath Sanchez. Tebow may be raw and his ability is under question, but his devotion, passion, and love for football are as bright as Peyton Manning's. Sanchez is going to have to take a good hard look at himself in the mirror and ask if all those cover shots exposing his chest are worth losing his job over.

I think they brought Tebow in to see if it would inspire / motivate Sanchez to give 110% so they could see what they really have. If Sanchez has another bad year he wont be around much longer. I've never cared for him as a QB and I think Tebow will start quite a few games this year.

Had we signed him, it would have been difficult for me to remain a Colt fan

Tebow wins. He also ignites passion in his teammates, and like another poster said, he has the same devotion that Manning has, except he can run. Imagine him having a true offseason to workout and get better as a starter that throws passes...He'll be the next big thing, along with Newton, Griffin, and Locker.

Tebow wins. He also ignites passion in his teammates, and like another poster said, he has the same devotion that Manning has, except he can run. Imagine him having a true offseason to workout and get better as a starter that throws passes...He'll be the next big thing, along with Newton, Griffin, and Locker.

This is improbable. The guy has passion, no questioning that. Being the next big thing? Really? And you include Locker in that convo despite him not doing much yet?

Sorry, but Tebow has had several offseasons. He had the former OC and current OC of Tom Brady. He's done this that and the other, and his throwing mechanics are still pretty off.

I dunno, I feel like he can be good with the passion he has, but the skills limit him. The fact that he only decided to perfect his throwing motion prior to the draft says something to me. You have kids like Luck going to the Manning Passing Academy, and working on it when they're still in highschool. Then you have a guy like Tebow that gets by on other tools for several years, and finally decides it might be worth his time to perfect his technique. I dunno, that just seems lazy to me. Not saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but he should've been working on his throwing way earlier in his career.

This is improbable. The guy has passion, no questioning that. Being the next big thing? Really? And you include Locker in that convo despite him not doing much yet?

Sorry, but Tebow has had several offseasons. He had the former OC and current OC of Tom Brady. He's done this that and the other, and his throwing mechanics are still pretty off.

I dunno, I feel like he can be good with the passion he has, but the skills limit him. The fact that he only decided to perfect his throwing motion prior to the draft says something to me. You have kids like Luck going to the Manning Passing Academy, and working on it when they're still in highschool. Then you have a guy like Tebow that gets by on other tools for several years, and finally decides it might be worth his time to perfect his technique. I dunno, that just seems lazy to me. Not saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but he should've been working on his throwing way earlier in his career.

I see what you're saying, but in limited playing time in 2012, Locker rushed for 57 yards and threw for 542. Let's not forget that before this year, he was being highly touted as the number one pick in the NFL Draft. Talent just doesn't go away, we will be seeing a lot more from him in the years to come. As far as Tebow goes, the guy was carried through college based on his fire and talent, and not by necessarily throwing the football. He was like, dare I say it, Andrew Luck when it came to terms of size and athleticism. He has never had a real offseason as the starting quarterback for a football team, which, though a player would never admit it, does not exactly inspire the hardest of workouts and striving to be perfect. And he's been working hard this offseason, knowing in his heart that he can take Mark Sanchez's job, which he will probably do. The guy is bagged on too much for his devotion and love for the game, and he has shown that he can prove people wrong...Maybe the critique passing is the next thing on his list.

I see what you're saying, but in limited playing time in 2012, Locker rushed for 57 yards and threw for 542. Let's not forget that before this year, he was being highly touted as the number one pick in the NFL Draft. Talent just doesn't go away, we will be seeing a lot more from him in the years to come. As far as Tebow goes, the guy was carried through college based on his fire and talent, and not by necessarily throwing the football. He was like, dare I say it, Andrew Luck when it came to terms of size and athleticism. He has never had a real offseason as the starting quarterback for a football team, which, though a player would never admit it, does not exactly inspire the hardest of workouts and striving to be perfect. And he's been working hard this offseason, knowing in his heart that he can take Mark Sanchez's job, which he will probably do. The guy is bagged on too much for his devotion and love for the game, and he has shown that he can prove people wrong...Maybe the critique passing is the next thing on his list.

Locker was not touted as a #1 pick. He was a guy who rose because of measurables. He was drafted in the first round, but never slated to be a top pick, ala Luck or RG3.

As for Tebow, I disagree completely. He has had several offseasons. He has been given more opportunity that anyone to succeed in the NFL despite poor mechanics. And on many levels he has succeeded. He simply is not the best passer out there. Whether he is starting or not is completely beside the point. He has had coaches who gave him a chance, and he did succeed, but not by being a good passer.

The reality of Tebow, in my opinion, is this: His abilities as an athlete should give him an advantage in the passing department because defenses have to be concerned with both. What I mean by that is teams generally have to keep an extra spy around to keep him from taking off, and even then, he might get you. So removing one defender from coverage should open up more passing lanes. Despite that, he throws for a piddly 46% completion rate. That's bad. Really, really bad. Without his athleticism, he'd be benched within a few games.

The whole belief behind RG3, Luck, etc. is the same concept, though each are considered good/great passers. Tebow misses horribly in that dept.

To me, Tebow is a poorer thrower than Vince Young. He is a lesser athlete than Vince Young. But what he lacks in those abilities compared to VY, he makes up for by having a solid head on his shoulders. I truly believe that if someone could get VY's head on straight, improve his passing mechanics a tad, he could be a huge challenge for defenses. And he was to a good extent. He just faltered under the pressure. Tebow has similar abilities, but he isn't the "dummy" that VY was.

But there are no excuses, in my mind, for Tebow to be as bad a thrower as he is. He's lucky McDaniel bought the hype and drafted him in the first round that year. Without that, he'd never see a 5 year 10 million dollar contract in his career.

Ultimately, QBs have to be able to throw the ball. Tebow has not been a good thrower up to this point in his career. He can hang with alot of boys in the athletic dept, just not the more important areas of being a QB. If he clean up his throwing, he could be a great one. Problem is, it seems he has tried to clean it up, but has failed.

There's as much chance of Tebow becoming "The next big thing", as there is for me becoming president of the United States of America.

Spolier alert - I'm not an american citizen

LOL at the Jets. They're messing up in every way they can.

Mark Sanchize - Franchise Quarterback haha

Trade for Tim Tebow haha

Darrelle Revis highest paid corner with contract disputes haha

Loudmouth coach who fails to put his money where his mouth is....only food haha

I see a team that talks crap next year, and comes out with a 5-11 record.

There's as much chance of Tebow becoming "The next big thing", as there is for me becoming president of the United States of America.

Spolier alert - I'm not an american citizen

Neither was John McCain, but he still ran for office. Good luck with that presidency friend, I will vote Copenhagen!

Locker was not touted as a #1 pick. He was a guy who rose because of measurables. He was drafted in the first round, but never slated to be a top pick, ala Luck or RG3.

As for Tebow, I disagree completely. He has had several offseasons. He has been given more opportunity that anyone to succeed in the NFL despite poor mechanics. And on many levels he has succeeded. He simply is not the best passer out there. Whether he is starting or not is completely beside the point. He has had coaches who gave him a chance, and he did succeed, but not by being a good passer.

The reality of Tebow, in my opinion, is this: His abilities as an athlete should give him an advantage in the passing department because defenses have to be concerned with both. What I mean by that is teams generally have to keep an extra spy around to keep him from taking off, and even then, he might get you. So removing one defender from coverage should open up more passing lanes. Despite that, he throws for a piddly 46% completion rate. That's bad. Really, really bad. Without his athleticism, he'd be benched within a few games.

The whole belief behind RG3, Luck, etc. is the same concept, though each are considered good/great passers. Tebow misses horribly in that dept.

To me, Tebow is a poorer thrower than Vince Young. He is a lesser athlete than Vince Young. But what he lacks in those abilities compared to VY, he makes up for by having a solid head on his shoulders. I truly believe that if someone could get VY's head on straight, improve his passing mechanics a tad, he could be a huge challenge for defenses. And he was to a good extent. He just faltered under the pressure. Tebow has similar abilities, but he isn't the "dummy" that VY was.

But there are no excuses, in my mind, for Tebow to be as bad a thrower as he is. He's lucky McDaniel bought the hype and drafted him in the first round that year. Without that, he'd never see a 5 year 10 million dollar contract in his career.

Ultimately, QBs have to be able to throw the ball. Tebow has not been a good thrower up to this point in his career. He can hang with alot of boys in the athletic dept, just not the more important areas of being a QB. If he clean up his throwing, he could be a great one. Problem is, it seems he has tried to clean it up, but has failed.

Who knows why Tebow is not a perfect passer...who knew why Jamarcus Russell had a big arm, yet was completely incompetent on the football field. Intangibles are what make the quarterback position, not how pretty your spiral is. Tebow and VY can't even compare...Tebow will smash through several defenders to get to the endzone while Young will simply run out of bounds, even if the game is about to be over in 5 or less seconds. And the funny thing is, he is bigger than Tebow...But I digress. Maybe he just did not have the right training from high school, then it transferred over somehow to college, where he won the Heisman Trophy, something even Luck could not manage to do. And no, I am not knocking on Luck in any way- I am just using a comparison. And Mike Vick, without his athleticism, would not have even been drafted 1st overall. Without his athleticism, we would not have taken Mario Williams 1st overall. Without Sam Bradford's accuracy- I think you get the point. But that's the thing about Tebow; He is like a contradictory of the draft and the first round itself, while also being a contradictory of the quarterback position. But he still wins games with miraculous passes and sheer will- and we all know that will is everything. That is why people cheer for Tebow, that is why he is so polarizing, and that is why McDaniels drafted him. He could see something in Tebow that a lot of other people couldn't. Just give the guy some time. Like Andrew Luck and others, with time he will be something special.

Who knows why Tebow is not a perfect passer...who knew why Jamarcus Russell had a big arm, yet was completely incompetent on the football field. Intangibles are what make the quarterback position, not how pretty your spiral is. Tebow and VY can't even compare...Tebow will smash through several defenders to get to the endzone while Young will simply run out of bounds, even if the game is about to be over in 5 or less seconds. And the funny thing is, he is bigger than Tebow...But I digress. Maybe he just did not have the right training from high school, then it transferred over somehow to college, where he won the Heisman Trophy, something even Luck could not manage to do. And no, I am not knocking on Luck in any way- I am just using a comparison. And Mike Vick, without his athleticism, would not have even been drafted 1st overall. Without his athleticism, we would not have taken Mario Williams 1st overall. Without Sam Bradford's accuracy- I think you get the point. But that's the thing about Tebow; He is like a contradictory of the draft and the first round itself, while also being a contradictory of the quarterback position. But he still wins games with miraculous passes and sheer will- and we all know that will is everything. That is why people cheer for Tebow, that is why he is so polarizing, and that is why McDaniels drafted him. He could see something in Tebow that a lot of other people couldn't. Just give the guy some time. Like Andrew Luck and others, with time he will be something special.

This is laughable. It really is. Your comment about VY is pretty sad, considering what he did when that team was winning. What got VY in trouble was his attitude, especially when they lost a few. The biggest difference between VY and Tebow is the amount of publicity one gets because of his beliefs. Otherwise, they were tremendous athletes that were poor throwers.

And it might be possible that Tebow improves his passing, but I think that time has come and gone.

To me, VY and Tebow were both college players that gave their teams the best possible chance to win. They were fighters. I remember watching the USC/Texas game and thinking Leinart had just sealed the deal. Low and behold, VY simply marched his team down the field for the win in the last minute or two of the game.

The problem for me, is Tebow is not that much different than VY. The one thing he has going for him is passion/will (or whatever you want to call it). But I would be willing to bet that were the chips not falling on his side of the table, he'd be getting discouraged. He probably wouldn't cause a scene like VY, but he'd eventually be pulled in favor of a different starter. The thing is, the NFL expects a QB to be able to pass. They expect them to do it well. If their mechanics look schoddy, but their numbers are good (ala Rivers), then it doesn't matter. If their mechanics look schoddy, and they only manage to win a game in the 4th quarter, they can get by for a little while. But, eventually, the wheels are going to fall off, and the first thing that will be seen is those schoddy numbers. Tebow HAS to improve his efficiency as a passer. Nothing about throwing a prettier spiral, or anything on those lines, he simply has to be more efficient. A 46% completion percentage doesn't make anyone in the front office giddy, and the sad thing is that is down from the 50% that it was the season before.

He's had an offseason in which he was able to compete for the starting position, and he's been a QB on an NFL roster for those seasons, but yet he still hasn't improved. And the worst thing of all, is he didn't have to throw well to improve. He just needed to move up from awful to mediocre. Unlike the Cam Newton's or Sam Bradford's who need to go from ok to good. Tebow has a lot to improve on. He might do that, he might not. The problem is, thus far, no one wants to give the guy the reigns with his passing being as awful as it is.

This is laughable. It really is. Your comment about VY is pretty sad, considering what he did when that team was winning. What got VY in trouble was his attitude, especially when they lost a few. The biggest difference between VY and Tebow is the amount of publicity one gets because of his beliefs. Otherwise, they were tremendous athletes that were poor throwers.

And it might be possible that Tebow improves his passing, but I think that time has come and gone.

To me, VY and Tebow were both college players that gave their teams the best possible chance to win. They were fighters. I remember watching the USC/Texas game and thinking Leinart had just sealed the deal. Low and behold, VY simply marched his team down the field for the win in the last minute or two of the game.

The problem for me, is Tebow is not that much different than VY. The one thing he has going for him is passion/will (or whatever you want to call it). But I would be willing to bet that were the chips not falling on his side of the table, he'd be getting discouraged. He probably wouldn't cause a scene like VY, but he'd eventually be pulled in favor of a different starter. The thing is, the NFL expects a QB to be able to pass. They expect them to do it well. If their mechanics look schoddy, but their numbers are good (ala Rivers), then it doesn't matter. If their mechanics look schoddy, and they only manage to win a game in the 4th quarter, they can get by for a little while. But, eventually, the wheels are going to fall off, and the first thing that will be seen is those schoddy numbers. Tebow HAS to improve his efficiency as a passer. Nothing about throwing a prettier spiral, or anything on those lines, he simply has to be more efficient. A 46% completion percentage doesn't make anyone in the front office giddy, and the sad thing is that is down from the 50% that it was the season before.

He's had an offseason in which he was able to compete for the starting position, and he's been a QB on an NFL roster for those seasons, but yet he still hasn't improved. And the worst thing of all, is he didn't have to throw well to improve. He just needed to move up from awful to mediocre. Unlike the Cam Newton's or Sam Bradford's who need to go from ok to good. Tebow has a lot to improve on. He might do that, he might not. The problem is, thus far, no one wants to give the guy the reigns with his passing being as awful as it is.

Tebow does not get attention just because of his religious beliefs. Adam Vinatieri and other kickers, as well as QBs and WRs sometimes, point at the air and mutter a prayer after a successful kick or touchdown pass. Tebow merely took a knee to pray and the media exploded because of it; It is not his fault. And to even compare his completion percentage to the year before this one is not fair. Tebow played only four games that season. I've seen what he can do up close, considering that we were the first team that he beat. And the front office is not looking at how his balls miss his targets occasionally, or bounce across the ground from time to time. They are looking at that 1-4 start, and the subsequent 8-8 ( Tebow achieved a six-game win streak) once Tebow began playing. Tebow did not get the chance to compete in camp; The coaches, nonbelievers at the time, crowned Orton as the starter early in camp. And every athlete has room for improvement, and, because they are athletes, they do.

Tebow does not get attention just because of his religious beliefs. Adam Vinatieri and other kickers, as well as QBs and WRs sometimes, point at the air and mutter a prayer after a successful kick or touchdown pass. Tebow merely took a knee to pray and the media exploded because of it; It is not his fault. And to even compare his completion percentage to the year before this one is not fair. Tebow played only four games that season. I've seen what he can do up close, considering that we were the first team that he beat. And the front office is not looking at how his balls miss his targets occasionally, or bounce across the ground from time to time. They are looking at that 1-4 start, and the subsequent 8-8 ( Tebow achieved a six-game win streak) once Tebow began playing. Tebow did not get the chance to compete in camp; The coaches, nonbelievers at the time, crowned Orton as the starter early in camp. And every athlete has room for improvement, and, because they are athletes, they do.

Athletes "muttering a prayer" is a heckuva lot different than what has happened with Tebow. Tebow's mother was going to get an abortion (for health reasons), and didn't due to religious beliefs. The result, was Tim Tebow. Everything he and his family do is done to glorify Christ, and their beliefs. They're not your typical church goers. They're involved in it daily. They speak their opinions loudly with respect to their religious beliefs, more so than any other athlete's family. Dungy was quiet in Christianity compared to Tim Tebow, and Dungy was extremely religious.

A quote direct from wikipedia:

Tim Tebow is known for exemplifying what has been called "Muscular Christianity"—by sharing his Christian faith with fans and in clinics, hospitals, market places, schools, and orphanages.[9][10]

So no, what he does is vastly different than 99% of athletes out there. He is constantly in the spotlight because of this coupled with his college success.

As far as room for improvement, of course. But a guy like Manning is sitting at 90% of perfection, with minimal room to go up, yet he still makes strides. A guy like Tebow is sitting at 50%, with loads of room to go up, yet he can't even improve marginally in the passing dept. The general gist being that, when you are as poor at throwing as Tebow is, you ought to be able to improve a lot easier than someone who is already at the pinnacle. Next year may prove different, but I honestly think the Jets just got themselves a toy for a gimmick in their playbook. Not a starter.

Part of the reason, also, that the Jets brought in Tebow was because they're in a media market where they're competing with the defending Super Bowl champs. Jets fans takea little offense to this notion, but their team is sort of the "little brother" of the Big Apple. Any headlines they grab in the offseason will help sell tickets and PSLs, or at least that's the theory.

Why do people always want to bring up the Heisman when talking about pro players like that automatically will make them great? It means NOTHING in the NFL

No, but it does show that there is potential to be great. The Heisman is not won easily, especially when you are a sophomore.

Athletes "muttering a prayer" is a heckuva lot different than what has happened with Tebow. Tebow's mother was going to get an abortion (for health reasons), and didn't due to religious beliefs. The result, was Tim Tebow. Everything he and his family do is done to glorify Christ, and their beliefs. They're not your typical church goers. They're involved in it daily. They speak their opinions loudly with respect to their religious beliefs, more so than any other athlete's family. Dungy was quiet in Christianity compared to Tim Tebow, and Dungy was extremely religious.

A quote direct from wikipedia:

Tim Tebow is known for exemplifying what has been called "Muscular Christianity"—by sharing his Christian faith with fans and in clinics, hospitals, market places, schools, and orphanages.[9][10]

So no, what he does is vastly different than 99% of athletes out there. He is constantly in the spotlight because of this coupled with his college success.

As far as room for improvement, of course. But a guy like Manning is sitting at 90% of perfection, with minimal room to go up, yet he still makes strides. A guy like Tebow is sitting at 50%, with loads of room to go up, yet he can't even improve marginally in the passing dept. The general gist being that, when you are as poor at throwing as Tebow is, you ought to be able to improve a lot easier than someone who is already at the pinnacle. Next year may prove different, but I honestly think the Jets just got themselves a toy for a gimmick in their playbook. Not a starter.

Your typical churchgoers would glorify Christ in public if they were in the national spotlight as much as Tebow is. He does not do this to get attention; Heck it even says in the Bible that Christ wants you to praise his name and not be ashamed, to be public with it. Does that mean degrading others' religion or none thereof is necessary? No. No Christian believes that, and Tebow certainly does not do that. Kind of like how LeBron James throws powder into the air before his games; He does not do it for attention, it his good luck charm. And the Jets have a gimmick for now....until Sanchez starts at an 0-5 or 1-4 record. That is when things will get interesting.

Locker was touted as potentially being the number one pick the year before he declared. His stock actually took a sizable hit by staying in Washington for the 2010 season but still rebounded enough to go in the top 10 in 2011.

Your typical churchgoers would glorify Christ in public if they were in the national spotlight as much as Tebow is. He does not do this to get attention; Heck it even says in the Bible that Christ wants you to praise his name and not be ashamed, to be public with it. Does that mean degrading others' religion or none thereof is necessary? No. No Christian believes that, and Tebow certainly does not do that. Kind of like how LeBron James throws powder into the air before his games; He does not do it for attention, it his good luck charm. And the Jets have a gimmick for now....until Sanchez starts at an 0-5 or 1-4 record. That is when things will get interesting.

I didn't say it was for attention. Merely that Tebow's involvement with his religious beliefs exceeds that of 99% of athletes. From what I know, the kid won't even have a beer. There are plenty of churchgoers that get all dressed up in their Sunday's best, go to church, then proceed to get wasted in a bar on a Friday night. Plenty of athletes point to the sky, and praise God for a TD or what have you. But Tebow is the one who can be seen on the sideline, every single time, kneeling in prayer. This brought about the whole phrase of "Tebowing."

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d82585ba5#photo=1

Tebow is the most outspoken believer in all of professional sports. He truly believes and professes such every single chance he gets.

As for the Jets and their gimmick, they've already spoken of using him in a variation of the wildcat. They've even addressed using him on special teams. They didn't throw an extra 40 million at Sanchez because they think Tebow is going to be the next big thing. They simply plan to use him in a few packages, and have him as backup and pressure for Sanchez. Thing is, the Jets are so hung up on making Sanchez a good choice that they've given him little reason to worry. That does change this year, but it likely won't be in Tebow's favor. That's not because Sanchez is good, but simply because the Jets don't want to be proven wrong in the decision to move up for Sanchez.

Locker was touted as potentially being the number one pick the year before he declared. His stock actually took a sizable hit by staying in Washington for the 2010 season but still rebounded enough to go in the top 10 in 2011.

This ^^^^^

I didn't say it was for attention. Merely that Tebow's involvement with his religious beliefs exceeds that of 99% of athletes. From what I know, the kid won't even have a beer. There are plenty of churchgoers that get all dressed up in their Sunday's best, go to church, then proceed to get wasted in a bar on a Friday night. Plenty of athletes point to the sky, and praise God for a TD or what have you. But Tebow is the one who can be seen on the sideline, every single time, kneeling in prayer. This brought about the whole phrase of "Tebowing."

http://www.nfl.com/p...2585ba5#photo=1

Tebow is the most outspoken believer in all of professional sports. He truly believes and professes such every single chance he gets.

As for the Jets and their gimmick, they've already spoken of using him in a variation of the wildcat. They've even addressed using him on special teams. They didn't throw an extra 40 million at Sanchez because they think Tebow is going to be the next big thing. They simply plan to use him in a few packages, and have him as backup and pressure for Sanchez. Thing is, the Jets are so hung up on making Sanchez a good choice that they've given him little reason to worry. That does change this year, but it likely won't be in Tebow's favor. That's not because Sanchez is good, but simply because the Jets don't want to be proven wrong in the decision to move up for Sanchez.

Just wanted to clarify that the Jets did not sign Tebow until after they had already paid Sanchez. If they had, their front office would have been questioned severely. And you're right about them not wanting to be proven wrong...The same thing is happening for us and Kareem " The Dream" Jackson. If he stinks it up again this year, he's out, and I expect the same of Sanchez.

Just wanted to clarify that the Jets did not sign Tebow until after they had already paid Sanchez. If they had, their front office would have been questioned severely. And you're right about them not wanting to be proven wrong...The same thing is happening for us and Kareem " The Dream" Jackson. If he stinks it up again this year, he's out, and I expect the same of Sanchez.

Sorry, but Sanchez got an EXTRA 20 million guaranteed. Tebow is on a 5 year 9.5 million dollar contract. There front office would not be questioned whether they paid that before or after bringing Tebow. Teams gladly pay 2 million a season to a backup QB.

The big difference between the Jets with Sanchez and the Texans with Kareem Jackson is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Sanchez ties up a lot of it, Kareem isn't in the ball park of a top corner at 5 years with 13.1 million.

The Jets are paying their guy as if he were Peyton Manning, when he clearly isn't. But that is simply because they believe he is a franchise guy, and they want him to know it. Kareem getting to stick around on his contract is a heckuva lot different than what we're discussing with Tebow and Sanchez. Long story short is Sanchez will take every start he is healthy for, unless the Jets decide to try to light a fire mid season. By that time, Rex and his GM may have to start updating their resumes, so it isn't likely that they pull the plug on Sanchez until they are well good and >>>ed for the season.

The reality is that, when drafted, he wasn't in the top pick discussion. That's what matters. The reality is that comparing Locker to Newton or even Luck for that matter is foolish. All the reports indicated he was an athlete with questionable throwing ability. By questionable I don't mean poor, but simply not elite or upper caliber. Had the Titans felt Locker was the top guy, they wouldn't have brought in Hasselbeck to take snaps from their "sure thing."

Further, Tebow is even more removed from the category of these young QBs because his passing ability isn't questionable, it's deplorable. That has to improve for him to be the next big thing. As it is now, he's on a team that intends to use him on special teams and in a gimmick style offense to supplement their pro-style offense.

I have a lot of respect for Tebow being able to do what he's done, but the reality is, most front offices won't have a QB who is not a good passer. They'll seize the first opportunity they to replace him. Exactly what the Broncos did. The team that wanted him the most had just invested 20 million guaranteed in their starter. Bringing Tebow over was simply a means to supplement their offense and their shiny new OC, Tony Sparano, who, not surprisingly, intends to bring his Wildcat package to NY. Tebow is to be the catalyst for that package.

The reality is that, when drafted, he wasn't in the top pick discussion. That's what matters. The reality is that comparing Locker to Newton or even Luck for that matter is foolish. All the reports indicated he was an athlete with questionable throwing ability. By questionable I don't mean poor, but simply not elite or upper caliber. Had the Titans felt Locker was the top guy, they wouldn't have brought in Hasselbeck to take snaps from their "sure thing."

He wasn't in the top pick discussion because Cam Newton was such a controversial figure as a potential top pick and effectively dominated the discussion simply because opinions on him varied wildly. There was even talk at one point about Gabbert potentially being the first QB taken. The consensus on Locker was pretty uniform in that he had all the right tools but was too raw and inexperienced to be a day one starter (hence why the Titans rented out Hasselbeck's services for the year). There were a number of teams that quietly had him graded out as being what he actually turned out to be (a top 10 pick and second QB off the board).

Really, Newton headlined a QB class that featured a ton of guys with both potential and major questions and Newton himself was far from being above that. He, like Locker, did not compare at all to prospects like Luck/Griffin or Rivers/Eli beyond the fact that hindsight would put him at that level.

No debate from me on Tebow, though. He's just a bad passer.

Sorry, but Sanchez got an EXTRA 20 million guaranteed. Tebow is on a 5 year 9.5 million dollar contract. There front office would not be questioned whether they paid that before or after bringing Tebow. Teams gladly pay 2 million a season to a backup QB.

The big difference between the Jets with Sanchez and the Texans with Kareem Jackson is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Sanchez ties up a lot of it, Kareem isn't in the ball park of a top corner at 5 years with 13.1 million.

The Jets are paying their guy as if he were Peyton Manning, when he clearly isn't. But that is simply because they believe he is a franchise guy, and they want him to know it. Kareem getting to stick around on his contract is a heckuva lot different than what we're discussing with Tebow and Sanchez. Long story short is Sanchez will take every start he is healthy for, unless the Jets decide to try to light a fire mid season. By that time, Rex and his GM may have to start updating their resumes, so it isn't likely that they pull the plug on Sanchez until they are well good and >>>ed for the season.

True, and once they begin updating their resumes, Sanchez will be run out of town lol. I think the NYJ fans love Rex more than they do Sanchez. And with the circus Tebow brings with him, they may end up loving him more than either Rex or Sanchez, which will be a very bad thing for the latter.

He wasn't in the top pick discussion because Cam Newton was such a controversial figure as a potential top pick and effectively dominated the discussion simply because opinions on him varied wildly. There was even talk at one point about Gabbert potentially being the first QB taken. The consensus on Locker was pretty uniform in that he had all the right tools but was too raw and inexperienced to be a day one starter (hence why the Titans rented out Hasselbeck's services for the year). There were a number of teams that quietly had him graded out as being what he actually turned out to be (a top 10 pick and second QB off the board).

Really, Newton headlined a QB class that featured a ton of guys with both potential and major questions and Newton himself was far from being above that. He, like Locker, did not compare at all to prospects like Luck/Griffin or Rivers/Eli beyond the fact that hindsight would put him at that level.

No debate from me on Tebow, though. He's just a bad passer.

haha. Gabbert. I remember that. Hasselbeck is probably going to be the back-up this season, in my opinion. They need to let Locker play in order to see what he's got...And I'm not pushing the Tebow issue, but after all the criticism he has received, ironically he is the only quarterback from the 2010 Draft that has a playoff win under his belt...Just had to put that out there. :D