Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck's Stats [Merge]

colts1993

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of his stats, I hope some of the snarkier fans on this Forum and in the stands are patient with his mistakes. My guess is we will see plenty of bad stuff this year, but as long as he learns from them, we should be fine.

The NFL average last year was:

327/ 544 60.1% 3675 yards 23 td 16 int.

For what was given up to draft him, I certainly hope he's far better than the NFL average.

Really? Cam Newton was the first rookie quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards, wasn't he? What's wrong with 3,700 yards and 23 touchdowns? Our quarterbacks combined for 3,200 yards, 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last year, with a 57% completion rate. If Luck's numbers look like last year's league average, not only would it be a considerable improvement from last season, but it would be an above average, if not excellent, rookie campaign.

Comparisons:

Aaron Rodgers first year as a starter: 4,038 yards, 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 63.6% completions

Andy Dalton rookie year: 3,398 yards, 20 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 58.1% completions

Sam Bradford rookie year: 3,512 yards, 18 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, 60% completions

Matt Ryan rookie year: 3,440 yards, 16 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, 61.1% completions

Really? Cam Newton was the first rookie quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards, wasn't he? What's wrong with 3,700 yards and 23 touchdowns? Our quarterbacks combined for 3,200 yards, 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last year, with a 57% completion rate. If Luck's numbers look like last year's league average, not only would it be a considerable improvement from last season, but it would be an above average, if not excellent, rookie campaign.

Comparisons:

Aaron Rodgers first year as a starter: 4,038 yards, 28 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 63.6% completions

Andy Dalton rookie year: 3,398 yards, 20 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 58.1% completions

Sam Bradford rookie year: 3,512 yards, 18 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, 60% completions

Matt Ryan rookie year: 3,440 yards, 16 touchdowns, 11 interceptions, 61.1% completions

I stand by my comment.

For what was given up to draft him, I certainly hope he's far better than the NFL average.

I think it would be a tad more fair to post average stats for ROOKIE QB's, don't you?

Andy Dalton had 2,644 YDS 17 TD's, 12 INT

Cam Newton 3,297 YDS 13 TD, 14 INT

These numbers were considered well above average for rookie QB's. So if Luck could throw for 3,600 YDS and 23 TDS, that would be WAY above average.

I think it would be a tad more fair to post average stats for ROOKIE QB's, don't you?

These numbers were considered well above average for rookie QB's. So if Luck could throw for 3,600 YDS and 23 TDS, that would be WAY above average.

Andy Dalton had 3,398 yards, 20 td's, 13 int

Cam Newton had 4,051 yards, 21 td's, 17 int, 706 rush yards, 14 rush td's

What would be the point of comparing Luck to the "average rookie numbers"? Andrew Luck is by no means "an average rookie". He may not have the greatest team around him yet. However, it would not be unfair to expect his stats to at least surpass those of Andy Dalton's rookie year.

Andy Dalton had 3,398 yards, 20 td's, 13 int

Cam Newton had 4,051 yards, 21 td's, 17 int, 706 rush yards, 14 rush td's

I referenced a bleacher report stat sheet and failed to notice it was from Dec 11th, 2011. The article appeared to give a total season assessment and even graded their season performance, before the season was over. lol.....fail

What would be the point of comparing Luck to the "average rookie numbers"? Andrew Luck is by no means "an average rookie".

Because the comment was made that he had better surpass the average season stats for all NFL QB's last year. Which is wholly unfair to have such expectations of a rookie.

I believe Luck's stats will surpass the average for NFL rookies, whatever that may be.

what was given up? it's not like we gave away 3 first round picks. we just stunk this year. the main thing is unlike last year we are going to have consistence at QB this year. And don't say we gave up Manning he was going regardless of who was at one.

I referenced a bleacher report stat sheet and failed to notice it was from Dec 11th, 2011. The article appeared to give a total season assessment and even graded their season performance, before the season was over. lol.....fail

Because the comment was made that he had better surpass the average season stats for all NFL QB's last year. Which is wholly unfair to have such expectations of a rookie.

I believe Luck's stats will surpass the average for NFL rookies, whatever that may be.

Well, comparing him to the "average" rookie would be wrong, as he's the #1 overall pick. Comparing him to the "average" quarterback, would be wrong as well, considering he's still a rookie. The proper comparison would probably be to the top rookie QB's, such as Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford, Aaron Rodgers (in his first year as a starter) as well as Andy Dalton, just to name a few.

While I agree this is probably going to put unnecessary pressure on our young QB, you still need to remember that he's: The #1 overall selection, he's replacing Peyton Manning, and our entire 2012 draft was made to create him an arsenal of weapons. I think it's fair, given the A. Luck hype, to expect a season well above average compared to every other rookie QB out there.

Well, comparing him to the "average" rookie would be wrong, as he's the #1 overall pick. Comparing him to the "average" quarterback, would be wrong as well, considering he's still a rookie. The proper comparison would probably be to the top rookie QB's, such as Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford, Aaron Rodgers (in his first year as a starter) as well as Andy Dalton, just to name a few.

Agreed. However if a rookie QB starts from day 1, he's usually a top first rounder. Comparing him to Rodgers first year as a starter would be unfair, as Rodgers had plenty of time and work over the course of 3 (or 4??) seasons.

you still need to remember that he's: The #1 overall selection, he's replacing Peyton Manning

I do not think it should be considered whom he is replacing at this time. Such comparisons would be more prudent down the road a few years.

I think it's fair, given the A. Luck hype, to expect a season well above average compared to every other rookie QB out there.

Comparing apples and oranges isn't fair either. Other QB's may be entering more rookie friendly environments and teams that are better poised to compete. For example; If our O-line fails miserably, it would be unfair to compare his stats to a rookie whom enjoyed far better protection. All we should demand from him is steadily escalating improvement, a stout attitude and the willingness to work hard.

Very well put...

I can say I see a high interception total, I'd say TD and picks both in the 20s, maybe 22 and 24

what was given up? it's not like we gave away 3 first round picks. we just stunk this year. the main thing is unlike last year we are going to have consistence at QB this year. And don't say we gave up Manning he was going regardless of who was at one.

actually we gave up three first round picks 2 second round picks and a third....and Peyton....

Just sayin

The average NFL quarterback last year encompasses the range from Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers to the likes of Blaine Gabbert and Curtis Painter, so I do not find it unfair at all to suggest/hope that Andrew Luck, the QB that some already have as a Super Bowl Champion, and Hall of Fame Quarterback have better #'s than the "Average NFL Quarterback" even in year one.

Expectations come with the territory. Some players reach them. Some don't. Some exceed them such as Cam Newton last year. Even the biggest Cam Newton fans wouldn't have expected the year that he had.

In 2010 the average NFL QB threw for: 327/539 3545 24/16

Newton and Dalton each came close to those #'s,and Newton surpassed that in passing yards. Each of them had a successful rookie year from an individual perspective.

If you want to put a name to the 2011 average NFL QB, then it would be some combination of Hasselbeck, Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman, and Mark Sanchez, so yes, I hope for more than that. While I do have high standards, I do not find hoping for a #1 draft pick to be better than that as being a high standard. To hold him to an unattainable standard is one thing. That would be asking him to complete 65% 4500 yards and 35+ touchdowns in year one. Which is simply not the case.

This is not the thread to rehash all of that nor was it the intent of my comment. Just stating a fact. I stand by statement and people can interpret it anyway they wish. They can agree with it or disagree with it. I could care less.

actually we gave up three first round picks 2 second round picks and a third....and Peyton....

Just sayin

Well said.

Let's see: last season's #1 overall QB was drafted by a 2-14 team whom had the worse scoring offense during the 2010 season (12.3PPG). That rookie pretty much only had one true receiving threat (under-sized, but very good). But most of the same offensive players from the previous season remained intact (which can be considered good or bad), save the previous QB. There was also a new coaching regime change.

This season's #1 overal QB was also drafted by a 2-14 team whom had the 28th rank scoring offense during the 2011 season (15.2PPG). But a lot of the experienced offensive pieces are now gone and will likely be replaced by rookies and FAs. Also there was a coaching staff revamped.

With that said, it will be sort of difficult to projected Luck's 2012 stats without knowing Arians' offensive philosphy. The Panthers allowed Cam to throw the football a LOT (517 attempts). That was their choice. Arians may want to run the ball more and if successful, keep at it. I believe Luck will attempt at least 400 passes (25 passes per game) and complete at least 250 (62.5%). Based off that, he will have at least 3,500 passing yards and around 22 touchdowns. I also think his interception total will be lower than most rookies that attempt that many passes, between 10 and 15, because of the tightend factor and his reputation for being extremely accurate with intermediate throws (where our tightends could pose a mismatch against a lot of linebackers). He averaged 54 rushing attempts per year during his three years as a starter at Stanford, so I believe he will take off 50 times during the regular season for between 250 and 300 yards a 4 touchdowns.

[Expectations come with the territory. Some players reach them. Some don't. Some exceed them such as Cam Newton last year. Even the biggest Cam Newton fans wouldn't have expected the year that he had.

Ironically, even while Cam was putting up those numbers and their offense was clearly more explosive than the previous season (25.4PPG compared to 12.3PPG before Newton), that STILL was not good enough for some people. :hmm:

I know that was sort of off topic, just emphisizing the odd way expectations are applied..

[Expectations come with the territory. Some players reach them. Some don't. Some exceed them such as Cam Newton last year. Even the biggest Cam Newton fans wouldn't have expected the year that he had.

Ironically, even while Cam was putting up those numbers and their offense was clearly more explosive than the previous season (25.4PPG compared to 12.3PPG before Newton), that STILL was not good enough for some people. :hmm:

I know that was sort of off topic, just emphisizing the odd way expectations are applied..

I live in Charlotte. Some around here(Charlotte) seem to think he's the best ever. Some act like they won the Super Bowl last year as opposed to winning 6 games. He gave them hope. I'll give them that, and last year was far more exciting for them than a typical 6 win season. He was better than I expected him to be. The key question will he continue to progress.

I live in Charlotte. Some around here(Charlotte) seem to think he's the best ever. Some act like they won the Super Bowl last year as opposed to winning 6 games. He gave them hope. I'll give them that, and last year was far more exciting for them than a typical 6 win season. He was better than I expected him to be. The key question will he continue to progress.

In their defense, doubling a team's PPG average from the previous season IS a cause for celebration. I know Indy will if Luck accomplishes that this season. More importantly though, will the Panthers' DEFENSE ever progress. Not too many QBs (if any) win when their defense allows 26.8PPG...

In their defense, doubling a team's PPG average from the previous season IS a cause for celebration. I know Indy will if Luck accomplishes that this season. More importantly though, will the Panthers' DEFENSE ever progress. Not too many QBs (if any) win when their defense allows 26.8PPG...

Oh i get the point and can agree to it, but you'd be at a sports bar and they come up short, but were competitive and it's like they are 12-0 heading down the stretch. I believe their defense will improve. I like their coach, and he was on my short list to come to Indy when Dungy retired even though I knew there wasn't a list at all.

This is not the thread to rehash all of that nor was it the intent of my comment. Just stating a fact. I stand by statement and people can interpret it anyway they wish. They can agree with it or disagree with it. I could care less.

I not trying to rehash anything just trying to understand what he meant that is all.

I not trying to rehash anything just trying to understand what he meant that is all.

Okay.

I thought it was rather clear.