Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Big doesn't mean tough.  And I don't mean attitude or willingness, I mean body parts or pain severity.  Again, he only played 13 college games and that kind of stuff hasn't really been fleshed out yet.

For a guy who hasn't played that many games, he has a notable injury history already. 

Date, League, Injury Details

Sep 11, 2021, Non-NFL, Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2: Richardson's hamstring issue first popped up in spring ball and lingered into the 2022 season, per CBS reporter Jenny Dell.

Nov 27, 2021, Non-NFL, Knee Meniscus Tear: Richardson said this injury originated in high school, and that he "tore it off the bone" on this date against Florida State. He underwent surgery in December, 2021.

Oct 30, 2021, Non-NFL, Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1: Richardson went down against Georgia. He was available only as the "emergency QB" the next week vs. South Carolina.

Sep 17, 2023, NFL, Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1: Richardson suffered a concussion in Week 2 vs. the Texans. He returned in Week 4.

Oct 8, 2023, NFL, Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain: Richardson sustained a season-ending injury to his throwing shoulder in the second quarter of Week 5 vs. the Titans. He underwent surgery in late October.

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/anthony-richardson/13544

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think you nailed it. You hesitate in the NFL, you pay a price for it. You 100% slide or 100% go full steam ahead. The in between get you more hurt more often than not. You have to be decisive fast.

He got greedy. Get the first down and go down. He wanted more. 

And on the other hand, you have Flacco sliding short of the marker...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He got greedy. Get the first down and go down. He wanted more. 

And on the other hand, you have Flacco sliding short of the marker...

Live to fight another day, I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :) 

If you HAVE TO go for a 4th down for a yard, Steichen can dig into his bag of plays to come up with one with the faith that we execute. 

• Like 2

After the game, Richardson didn't sound as confident that he'll play next week as I thought he might: 

On what the injury is:

“Just my hip. My hip was hurting. I tried to go back out there, but I just couldn’t accelerate how I wanted to. Coach was, like, trying not to mess up the team right now, so I was like, I’ll just sit.”

On if he can play next week:

“I don’t know. We’ve just got to see what they say. My hip’s just a little sore right now.”

What was the conversation when you came out of the locker room?

“They really just asked me how I felt, trying to throw and stuff like that. We both just agreed it wasn’t best for me to go out there.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

After the game, Richardson didn't sound as confident that he'll play next week as I thought he might: 

On what the injury is:

“Just my hip. My hip was hurting. I tried to go back out there, but I just couldn’t accelerate how I wanted to. Coach was, like, trying not to mess up the team right now, so I was like, I’ll just sit.”

“I don’t know. We’ve just got to see what they say. My hip’s just a little sore right now.”

“They really just asked me how I felt, trying to throw and stuff like that. We both just agreed it wasn’t best for me to go out there.”

I would not be at all surprised to see a Flacco Sermon starting backfield on Sunday. 

It’s a long season, no need to risk further injury.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

On what the injury is:

What I am afraid of is if any concussion like symptoms appear during the week for AR, sometimes it is not immediate. He did take a hit to the head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I would not be at all surprised to see a Flacco Sermon starting backfield on Sunday. 

At the very least, Steichen should say "I don't know who is going to start". It will REALLY put a wrinkle into their defensive game planning, IMO, having to game plan for both AR and Flacco, 2 different QBs. That works best for the Colts, IMO.

Put AR as Doubtful to begin with, don't upgrade to more than Questionable at any point. 😜

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Live to fight another day, I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday. :) 

If you HAVE TO go for a 4th down for a yard, Steichen can dig into his bag of plays to come up with one with the faith that we execute. 

He misjudged his position, he still had room to get the first and slide safely. And it was a spot in the game where we needed to put together a drive and slow down the Steelers momentum. I would have liked a little more awareness and some guts from Flacco on that play. 

Something else, Rigo's final punt was amazing. Potentially a game winning play. It was 58 yards, and it knuckled away from the returner in a way where he had to fair catch because he couldn't see where the gunners where. It was a great punt. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He misjudged his position, he still had room to get the first and slide safely. And it was a spot in the game where we needed to put together a drive and slow down the Steelers momentum. I would have liked a little more awareness and some guts from Flacco on that play. 

Something else, Rigo's final punt was amazing. Potentially a game winning play. It was 58 yards, and it knuckled away from the returner in a way where he had to fair catch because he couldn't see where the gunners where. It was a great punt. 

Don't forget, there was a penalty that would have replayed that down if Flacco made it. Tomlin declined the penalty because Flacco didn't make it with the slide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

I don't think anyone was fooled.  I know most of the board midwest so they may or may not watch much SEC football but I've seen every UF game for a long time now and AR has always been injury prone.  And not the injury prone like most think from a big fast QB.  He has had a lot of soft tissue injuries.  They didn't run read options for him at UF much if at all.  All his long highlight runs were passes and he took off due to pressure.  Like someone said earlier he's a "soft" athlete who injures more than most.  That is one of the reasons he's played so few college snaps. 

Hopefully as he gets older and plays more his body becomes more durable.  For now this is what he is.

Well, you weren’t fooled but maybe Ballard was. Sounds like the current Colts’ offense would subject him to more hits than the offense at Florida — and he was injury prone there as well.

Playing with pain vs playing with injuries is a sensitive topic but the great qb’s all play with pain.  Perhaps virtually all QB’s would have dropped the ball and been taken from yesterday’s game, but I think we all wonder if that is the case.  I guess time will tell if he has just been really unlucky vs he probably should find another less violent sport for those great physical skills.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

On what the injury is:

He came back out of the locker room with some pep in his step, and then he went and put his helmet on. But I don't think he tried to throw on the sidelines at all. Then he took off the helmet and put on a towel. 

And after halftime, he was limping as he walked out to the bench area. 

So yeah, I don't think he would have been able to finish the game yesterday. And if he did, he would have been severely limited. Whether he's able to play next week is another story. 

3 hours ago, JAS90 said:

The more AR plays the more Colts fans will see he's the exact same player he was in Florida. No improvement in decision making or accuracy/touch yet, he deserves all the criticism he gets. Whether or not he figures it out remains TBD but right now he's consistently making bad decisions. 

Kind of odd, I seen a guy throwing darts and running well. He tore one of the best defenses apart on the opening drive. His hip injury is minor, I have now gone to at least 10 different websites and every one of them has said he will probably play next week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Don't forget, there was a penalty that would have replayed that down if Flacco made it. Tomlin declined the penalty because Flacco didn't make it with the slide. 

Yeah I remember. But like you said, now you replay third down. I think that's better...

That play was earlier in the game than I remembered, first possession in the third quarter. The Steelers returned the punt for 30 yards, and then Fields fumbled. So it wasn't as consequential as I thought, but I still thought he had more room before he needed to slide. 

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Newton took a lot of hits and was still able to play. So far Richardson has taken few hits and has been unable to continue to play. 

Johnny Unitas who absorbed phenomenal shots to his skinny body in an era when linebackers could get by with murder just rolled over in his grave with this comment: AR said he “couldn't push off" like he wanted to.🤣

AR is really young but hopefully coaches will educate him that the leader of the team can make $40 or $50 mil/year to be the leader on the field — every play. Running backs and receivers run off and on all the time with bumps and bruises but a QB needs to play through pain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I was thinking that it would have been a huge gamble to go for it but it was fourth and less than 2 at that point.  Smart move by Shane to punt, but making it would have probably broke their spirit then.  

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Kind of odd, I seen a guy throwing darts and running well. He tore one of the best defenses apart on the opening drive. His hip injury is minor, I have now gone to at least 10 different websites and every one of them has said he will probably play next week. 

Nothing odd about variance - sometimes he's going to look good. I didn't say he's terrible, I said he's the same player he was in college. Go read any pre draft weaknesses;

- decision-making

- hit or miss mechanics

- bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot

- inaccuracy

I hope he does play next week and I hope he plays well. 

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

Also, lets not forget that you can run an RPO offense without the QB running at all.  The read-option and RPO look the same at the beginning of the play but the concepts are totally different.

Yes, I know.  I think some here want to run him like Hurts, the fake to JT keeper around the end as the running part of the RPO.  I'm sure that some are surprised that he never ran it like that in college.  Lets not forget Hurts is a powerful guy, and Lamar is elusive with better body control, IMO.  AR doesn't seem to be high-end either of those even though he's big and has speed.  He doesn't look like an experienced runner.  JMO.  

IMO, the shotgun fake hand off RPO pass option, works best if the QB is a threat to run it sometimes.  The RPO doesn't work as well with a guy like Flacco running it, and I hope we go under center more with traditional play-action, JMO.

10 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Johnny Unitas who absorbed phenomenal shots to his skinny body in an era when linebackers could get by with murder just rolled over in his grave with this comment: AR said he “couldn't push off" like he wanted to.🤣

AR is really young but hopefully coaches will educate him that the leader of the team can make $40 or $50 mil/year to be the leader on the field — every play. Running backs and receivers run off and on all the time with bumps and bruises but a QB needs to play through pain.

Sometimes Injuries just happen. Look at Joe Burrow, he gets injured a lot.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes Injuries just happen. Look at Joe Burrow, he gets injured a lot.

In Burrow’s 4 full seasons, he played every game in 2 of them and 10 games the other two. Do you see any chance AR will ever play every game in a season? And I doubt Burrow ever opted out because he “couldn’t push off” like he wanted to.

I realize time will only tell if this guy is mostly unlucky or mostly unwilling. (And of course every NFL player stands a good chance of drooling in their soup by age 50, so bravery isn’t the issue. Maybe he is just smarter than most players.)

47 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If sermon starts we are in trouble.  Wasn't  impressed  with his runs

4 minutes ago, azcolt said:

In Burrow’s 4 full seasons, he played every game in 2 of them and 10 games the other two. Do you see any chance AR will ever play every game in a season? And I doubt Burrow ever opted out because he “couldn’t push off” like he wanted to.

I realize time will only tell if this guy is mostly unlucky or mostly unwilling.

"10 games in the other two", I think my example is pretty good. He has missed 13 games and is considered by most a top 5 QB today. Cincy basically had no chance last year because he was out.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"10 games in the other two", I think my example is pretty good. He has missed 13 games and is considered by most a top 5 QB today. Cincy basically had no chance last year because he was out.

Stafford  got hurtvalot early on to

• Like 2

Just now, Stephen said:

If sermon starts we are in trouble.  Wasn't  impressed  with his runs

JT wasn't very effective after AR went out either.  If it's Sermon and Flacco, they'll have different run plays set up.  No one is fooled by an RPO with Joe, lol!

Richardson looked quite good yesterday, until the poor decision not to slide after getting the first down.  Hopefully he will continue to improve his reads and accuracy, and not become another Tua in his not protecting himself decisions.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

Just my "crazy" eyes of course, but AR does not look 6'5 255# to me, although I'm sure the combine measurements are correct.  Comparisons to Josh Allen physically just isn't there, IMO. 

And, he kinda looks too much like a rag doll when he gets tackled for how big he's supposed to be.  Very un-Allen-ish.  Even un-Levis-ish.  Lamar looks more athletic and in control of himself when he gets tackled, and he's fairly small.

Don't get me wrong, he is fast. However, I don't see that 4.4 speed yet. That could just be indecisiveness on his part in just exploding out of the blocks.

42 minutes ago, JAS90 said:

Nothing odd about variance - sometimes he's going to look good. I didn't say he's terrible, I said he's the same player he was in college. Go read any pre draft weaknesses;

- decision-making

- hit or miss mechanics

- bad habit of fading and throwing off his back foot

- inaccuracy

I hope he does play next week and I hope he plays well. 

Fair enough but I thought he looked good yesterday; he is just reckless when he runs. 

I will say one thing... those are relatively routine hits for the type of QB he is. Yes, he could have slid, but... if it wasn't this it would be something else. Richardson cannot keep getting hurt on this type of tackles. This is the type of QB he needs to be if we want him to be successful. The availability of this type of designed runs is one of the main appeals to players like Richardson. If he cannot survive those with consistncy, I don't see how he will be a successful NFL QB. First because he will keep getting injured , which would hinder his growth and, second, because if you artificially limit his ability to run, I don't think he can be a traditional drop back QB right now. 

• Like 4

I can't figure AR out. Last week he was throwing off his back foot and looked sub par. Yesterday he had great follow through and was accurate. 

So, yes there was improvement from last week. Question is, can he be consistent week to week.

• Like 1

Its frustrating to me as a fan that he was hurt again on a completely avoidable injury.

He needs to slide every time.

If he can't get the first, oh well then punt it away or kick the FG.

He has to live to play another play.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Don't get me wrong, he is fast. However, I don't see that 4.4 speed yet. That could just be indecisiveness on his part in just exploding out of the blocks.

I don't think he moves like a "running" QB.  The more I watch, the more he seems to handle himself like a pocket QB that has speed to escape and get yards.  Nimbleness and athletic body control, like Mahomes or Lamar, or even Allen, is not his game.  IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope you are right. As I said, hopefully it’s just bad luck and his luck will change, but Florida fans say this was the pattern at Florida too and accounts for how few games he played there.

Destin Adams had this story after the game. At first I didn’t agree with him. But seeing the reaction today I am starting to agree with his take. Imagine if they had let him come back in and finish the game. Imagine if he had played well after the injury. Today the discourse would be different. 

2 hours ago, azcolt said:

QB’s would have dropped the ball

Did AR just drop the ball in pain to his hip (which is considered a minor injury now), or was the ball struck by the defender somehow?