Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Brents to IR

John Waylon

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We all saw this coming. The guy is toast and can’t stay healthy. This defense is * up 

Try not to post using “we”.    You can say “I” but don’t speak for others.   

Because I sure didn’t see this coming.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, richard pallo said:

Such an overreaction.  People act like we just lost our best defensive player.  It’s not the end of our season.  But people are reacting like it is.  Crazy.

At least we'll have an excuse when our secondary gets smoked. I'm glad we're playing Green Bay and Willis on Sunday because that should give us a week to adjust. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A little hope 

If your a nfl GM with this many vets on the roster and your just conceding you should lose your job.

He's not conceding. The goal this year never was to contend. It's something you've made up in your head.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Such an overreaction.  People act like we just lost our best defensive player.  It’s not the end of our season.  But people are reacting like it is.  Crazy.

I agree he wasn't the best player on the defense.  But I feel that most of us (myself included) felt he was the only viable player we had at corner.  The only guy that didn't rate as a backup.  Oh well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let’s pray we have another rodgers pr something in that kid we got from SF. I don’t think he had any speed though. Sure would be nice to still have Rodgers.

You sent me a dm and said you would stop this. Maybe you should rethink before you post. You can just skip it if you don’t like it.

You must have me confused with someone else.

A. Who said I was talking about you specifically

B. I never sent you a dm

This is why it’s good to sign a veteran like Gilmore when you have the chance. Depth. Our depth is all UDFAs and late round guys. No vets who have seen any real action. Your secondary can not be comprised of 1 veteran at nickel corner and everyone else is a 2nd year player or small school day-3/UDFA.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Nobody is saying it's the end of the season. What some fans are frustrated about is this was the lack of trying to strengthen a weakness. We did just lose our best outside corner for the season, and our next man up didn't look ready in the preseason. 

We have a similar situation at safety with Blackmon. Almost a carbon copy tbh. When Blackmon goes down for the year (he has yet to finish a season, and is in his fifth year) we will have a similar thread with almost identical reactions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What did he do to go get insurance. It’s not about Brent’s getting hurt. It’s how few outside corners he went and got and didn’t get injury insurance for a guy that can’t stay healthy. If he had got insurance no one would be saying much. We have 20 trench players and no outside corners

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Brent’s has been consistently injured. Yet he went out and got no insurance in case it happened again. This secondary was awful last season and he did nothing. 

Plenty of players suffer injury concerns in their rookie season and he still played 9 games........but again....the secondary being awful last season isn't anything to do with Brents getting an injury game 1

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We can still be a playoff contender. Maybe not Super Bowl but playoff should still be what they look to achieve. 

Yeah it probably will. There will be more injuries.

Just like every other team. Step off the ledge for God Sakes!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Look at it this way: Teams won't be targeting Brents like you feared.

True, but this is just "extending" the "our young guys needs reps" timetable. Now he's still stuck at "square 1" not getting reps or improving.

• Like 1

So Ballard’s plan is I have Lemmon and Flowers and picked up Womack and kid from Giants  and Jones in case something happens to a starter and stated he will do it his way

So he has a plan it just might not be the popular plan or the plan some want but it is his plan and  job on the line 

Hoping his plan is a success 

• Like 2

Just now, Old Man and the COLTS said:

So Ballard’s plan is I have Lemmon and Flowers and picked up Womack and kid from Giants  and Jones in case something happens to a starter and stated he will do it his way

So he has a plan it just might not be the popular plan or the plan some want but it is his plan and  job on the line 

Hoping his plan is a success 

And it’s even worse because flowers is coming off an Achilles lol. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Oh be quiet 

This is an embarrassing thread for you.  And, as usual, you have no idea.   I’m not the only poster here who thinks you’re being ridiculous.  Feel free to read other comments.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Personally, I don't feel like we lost a star player, but how is he ever going to get reps if he's constantly injured? You get that we will get the same song from Ballard next season then right? "We like our guys" and "they need reps". We're not going to get out of that cycle with this bad luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

True, but this is just "extending" the "our young guys needs reps" timetable. Now he's still stuck at "square 1" not getting reps or improving.

Don't know if it was obvious or not, but that previous post was meant as a joke. 

This is a huge gut punch for Brents' development. I'm operating from the assumption that he's not able to come back at all this season, and I'm putting him in the Jelani Woods category right now. IMO, we should not / cannot rely on him being a major part of the secondary next season. And that sucks because he's a second round pick, and should be a foundational player for the defense.

I just don't think anyone needs to be raked over the coals for it. It's not anyone's fault that he's hurt.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Personally, I don't feel like we lost a star player, but how is he ever going to get reps if he's constantly injured? You get that we will get the same song from Ballard next season then? "We like our guy" and "they need reps". We're not going to get out of that cycle with this bad luck.

Following up on this, if Ballard uses 'he needs reps' regarding Brents as a reason for not adding corners, I'll have a big problem with that.

It's one thing to not give up on young players after their rookie season, and Ballard's previous comments have been applied to a host of young players in the secondary who need to play to develop. But I don't think he'd say the same thing about one individual player who has been consistently undermined by injury. That's a different conversation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't know if it was obvious or not, but that previous post was meant as a joke. 

This is a huge gut punch for Brents' development. I'm operating from the assumption that he's not able to come back at all this season, and I'm putting him in the Jelani Woods category right now. IMO, we should not / cannot rely on him being a major part of the secondary next season. And that sucks because he's a second round pick, and should be a foundational player for the defense.

I just don't think anyone needs to be raked over the coals for it. It's not anyone's fault that he's hurt.

It’s not anyone’s fault he is hurt. That is correct. But it’s the GM fault for not planning correctly. Especially when he hasn’t stayed healthy and Flowers was coming off a major injury.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

Totally fine. 👍🙂

That's exactly my fear as well. At this point he'll have two successive seasons with barely any reps. We can't consider him a starter next season. He'll need to develop with backup reps and practice like Woods.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Your embarrassing when you have to go after everyone’s comments that don’t agree with you.

I haven’t gone after anyone.   You’re the only person I’ve made a comment about and my comment was mild.   

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Following up on this, if Ballard uses 'he needs reps' regarding Brents as a reason for not adding corners, I'll have a big problem with that.

It's one thing to not give up on young players after their rookie season, and Ballard's previous comments have been applied to a host of young players in the secondary who need to play to develop. But I don't think he'd say the same thing about one individual player who has been consistently undermined by injury. That's a different conversation. 

I ment all of our young secondary, just missed the final "s", lol.

Yeah, I agree though. He'll be in the same situation as Woods next season. Backup reps and practice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

9 games and now will miss this season. 

Sneed only played 9 games of his rookie season through injury so it's not exactly an unpresidented leap that Ballard would believe Brents could put his injury hit rookie season behind him is it........but I do think now moving forward Brents position will have to bear more scrutiny and potentially a rethink as his development will be hurt by this for sure and we did use high draft capital on him

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not anyone’s fault he is hurt. That is correct. But it’s the GM fault for not planning correctly. Especially when he hasn’t stayed healthy and Flowers was coming off a major injury.

Just because you hate our players doesn't mean the team hates our players, nor does it mean they aren't capable of playing in this defense. You see the world from one rigid perspective, and allow no room for alternatives, and it's so, sooo tiring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Another blown season that was perfectly avoidable. He is going to have to make a trade.

I don’t understand this at all.

Year after year there are football things that Chloe just can't understand.

So how about one game and a Total Meltdown 😁 

You have served your purpose, now it's time for you to go on board IR (IGNORE).

Rest well 🙏 

It’s week 1, and I already think CB is back to the top of the list of needs for the Colts. I really like the potential of Brent’s, but he’ll be behind the eight ball again. In a perfect world he comes back next season and lights it up, but you can’t put all your eggs in that basket.

I think you sign a vet this week and possibly look at a trade. I wonder what the Bears would want for Tyrique Stevenson? If it’s important to win now with AR on his rookie deal, you can’t just wait until the 2025 draft. 

I think Ballard is a good GM but he’s going to have to balance letting young players develop versus signing/trading for proven vets. And the scale is going to have to tip towards the latter. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

Just because you hate our players doesn't mean the team hates our players, nor does it mean they aren't capable of playing in this defense. You see the world from one rigid perspective, and allow no room for alternatives, and it's so, sooo tiring. 

I don’t hate our players. What I do hate is this team has a GM who didn’t plan correctly  when it was very obvious. We have a guy like Bryan who is not good taking a roster spot that could have been for some insurance in the secondary.  How many years have fans said he screwed up and after the season he is apologizing. This was malpractice. It’s probably the worst decision he has ever made. You have Texans in this division who are great at passing. This is how you handle the secondary. No depth was beyond dumb. Your not winning a division operating like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

From looking at PFF it seems he had a promising rookie season in Dallas in 2021, but he was a lot worse in 2022 and barely played in 2023.

• Like 1